PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of VX / AXIOM engine & trans swap

jdm monkey
03/28/2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks to COPART, salvage axioms are readily available. I currently have engine problems and have been thinking of rebuilding the engine or swapping an axiom engine. Upon further investigation, direct injection equipped axioms are better on gas and have more power. If I buy the whole wrecked car, I would swap the dash too (cooler than the VX) and transmission. I have a few questions. Does anybody here have driven an axiom? Does the power /fuel economy have a significant advantage over the VX? Does it have TOD and does it function like the VX's or better? If it does, this would be a significant upgrade to our VX and should bring it up to date with the current technology. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this will all be worth it.

atilla_the_fun
03/28/2010, 12:25 PM
I can't answer your questions about Axioms, as I've never driven one but I just want to add that the Dash swap will probably be the hardest thing you'd do.. You have to imagine that your passenger airbag MUST no longer work for safety reasons (because the dashboards and passenger seat locations are different for the two vehicles). The HVAC vents and controls... Its a job for a custom shop or someone with enough tools and materials to manufacture anything you might need for the swap.. I've been daydreaming about the VX dashboard and believe that creating a fiberglass skin/dash cover that fits seamlessly over the current dashboard and leaves the location of the airbag untouched would be the best way to go.

Also, why the transmission change?

johnnyapollo
03/28/2010, 05:17 PM
Someone on the forum put an earlier, non direct-injected Axiom motor in his VX - it sounded like a direct swap. I think you could make everything work, including the dash. I've ridden in an Axiom - fun ride - also it's narrow so I'm betting the dash will fit without much trouble. You'l want the center console and arm rest as well if you can get it to fit (cup holder bonus!).

-- John

vt_maverick
03/28/2010, 06:18 PM
Not worth it in my opinion - and I own both a VX and a DI Axiom. Engine isn't noticeably more powerful, fuel economy isn't that much better (maybe 3-4 MPG at best). The Axiom does weigh 350+ pounds more, but even so I can't imagine the benefit would be anywhere close to the $$$ and trouble it would cost. Plus I think another member (iamironman?) already discovered that the 2004 DI swap wouldn't work (something about ECU incompatibility).

The dashboard on the other hand... I'd be the first in line for your retrofit kit if you could make it work. :thumbup:

Gussie2000
03/28/2010, 06:30 PM
Iamironman did the swap few months ago.

Get in touch with him & he can provide you all the info.

I'll tell in advance that the direct injection is not a option with the VX's ECU because of its software,also the axiom's ECU cannot be use with the VX because the wiring is different so you'll have to use the fuel injection system again in the VX anyways.

All that really can be swap is the whole engine so no more oil compsumtion again.

I have no idea of the transmmission swap

Ldub
03/29/2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=axiom+DI

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16136&highlight=axiom+DI