PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry in your VX?

Marlin
03/22/2010, 03:33 PM
What items do you always carry in your VX? I managed to get one of those Plano large boxes to fit behind the rear seat even with it in the upright position. Inside I always have my Tnta airjack, air compressor and exhaust adapters for the jack, first aid kit, craftsman tool set, metric dogbone wrench, fixaflat, WD40, HD zipties, hose tape, duct tape, quart of oil, RTV, 30ft snatch strap and shackles, gloves, small bottle of hand cleaner, misc nuts and bolts, moving blanket, tire patch kit, flashlight and batteries, CO2 bottle adaptor and chuck, trailhead deflaters. I need to add some JB weld to the mix.

Just curious what others carry, I know Ldub carries a ton of stuff as well. I am ready for the zombie revolution!!!!!!!!

Cobrajet
03/22/2010, 03:50 PM
I always have my California Car Duster handy (especially when following T4B on the trails.) :)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2096_49958337

I also carry my detailing kit (which is actually for my Cobra), cause you never know when you'll run into a car show on the way home from work...

There's a small tool kit in that bag, as well as a code reader. That came in handy a few times in the past.

Travelin2
03/22/2010, 04:08 PM
Babes

etlsport
03/22/2010, 04:10 PM
i keep..

a deck of playing cards
duct tape, electrical tape
a set of metric and american sockets
a set of metric deep sockets
22mm full size wrench and stubby wrench
a few sets of pliers
a breaker bar
a 3' pipe
a 3D cell mag light
a jacket, a pair of socks, sandals
20' snatch strap and D ring shackles
glow sticks
walkie talkies
1 quart of oil, 1 quart ATF

and lots of girlscout cookies

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/100_0053.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7107)

Marlin
03/22/2010, 04:28 PM
I always have my California Car Duster handy (especially when following T4B on the trails.) :)

I also carry my detailing kit (which is actually for my Cobra), cause you never know when you'll run into a car show on the way home from work...

There's a small tool kit in that bag, as well as a code reader. That came in handy a few times in the past.

Ahhh, the vanity, I would expect that from an ebony owner, but a proton....:( Just kidding, I do also carry lockwire, got that idea from Bigswede on the trail in Moab when he used it to tie up NocturnalVX's exhaust. I carry dikes to go with it. Very useful indeed. Cookies is a good idea too:)

WormGod
03/22/2010, 05:45 PM
Some Recaros, me, and that's about it.

Mile High VX
03/22/2010, 05:49 PM
Small tool kit
Expandable lug wrench
The Club - to lock her up good
Windshield shade - 300 days of sun here in CO
Ice scraper and snow brush

I do like the cookie idea...need to go see the neighbors now.

etlsport
03/22/2010, 06:16 PM
oh i also have an extra serpentine belt a few hose clamps and a bunch of ratchet straps and bungee cords

vt_maverick
03/23/2010, 05:47 AM
I carry a four-way tire iron, battery jumper / air compressor / portable power supply, Titan exhaust jack (thank you Marlin), LED flashlight and spare batteries, power inverter, WD-40, Fix-a-Flat, First Aid kit, tow strap, small screw driver with bit kit, ratchet with metric set, duct tape, quart of oil, snow scraper / brush (winter only), fold-up camping shovel (useful if you ever have to dig yourself off the beach), flares, bottle opener / corkscrew, razor blade, and fire extinguisher.

All that fits in the Tone box I got from Grant Eaton, plus the dog can ride on top of the box.

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 05:53 AM

IIRC, that is NOT what your duster looked like @ Shenandoah - it was a purdy pink feather duster.

JAMAS
03/23/2010, 06:51 AM
Mini Mag-lite (mounted up front)
Life hammer (mounted up front)
Picture of my Wife and Son
4-guage heavy-duty jumper cables
tire repair kit
air compressor
blankets
walkie-talkies (motorolla talk abouts)
First Aid kits
Synthetic Oil
Disposable Oil funnels
Gloves (I hate gas smelling hands after pumping)
3D Maglite (mounted in the back)
ratchet straps
bungie cords
window scraper
garbage bag
Outdoor Rated Duct Tape
Socket Set
Small Gerber Hatchet
UMMMMMM.......Thats all I can think of right now.

deermagnet
03/23/2010, 07:17 AM
I carry lots of the usual stuff. Being an outdoor guy, I also have granola bars, water, a hat and rain gear, extra shirts, socks, and pants.

I highly recommend a Gorilla Power Wrench (http://www.gorilla-auto.com/power.wrench). Walmart has a similar no-name version.

I just picked up a Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray (http://www.firstalert.com/FIRE-EXTINGUISHING/TUNDRA-SPRAY/TUNDRA-FIRE-EXTINGUISHING-SPRAY/TUNDRA) at Walmart as an alternative to a traditional extinguisher. It fits easily in more places.

Mark

vt_maverick
03/23/2010, 09:33 AM
I highly recommend a Gorilla Power Wrench (http://www.gorilla-auto.com/power.wrench). Walmart has a similar no-name version.

Nice find! :thumbup:

crotchrocket
03/23/2010, 09:44 AM
I used to carry EVERYTHING until it got nicked........so decided not to do that anymore, even though i fitted an alarm.

Now i have:

Basic tool wrap, pliers + knife
Wheel nut spaner/bottle jack (and a piece of wood as the jack doesnt reach now its lifted)
Tow rope + shackle
Jump leads
straps/bungies
air hose + tyre inflator (run from the compressor tank)
Hi-Vis, first aid kit + tourch

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 10:39 AM

I have one of those. I had to turn down the OD on the socket that fit the lugs on my old Samurai, it wouldn't fit into the recess of the AR rims I had on it.

Marlin
03/23/2010, 12:53 PM
IIRC, that is NOT what your duster looked like @ Shenandoah - it was a purdy pink feather duster.

No, that is for his night job;)

Triathlete
03/23/2010, 03:10 PM
Hmmm, off the top of my head...
spare radiator hose
2 cans fix a flat
air compressor
tools
3 tow straps
2 shackles
quart oil
quart tranny fluid
toilet paper
paper towels
binochulars
jumper cables
tire deflators
air pressure gauge
various maps/trail books
Q beam light (never know when you might need 1,000,000 candle power light)
blanket
solar blanket
first aid kit
folding chair
gloves
trash bags
and I am sure I am forgetting a lot.

VX KAT
03/23/2010, 03:20 PM
Nice find! :thumbup:
x2! I'm going to order one...better than the pipe Dave's been carrying

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 03:26 PM
Hmmm ... interesting. At least 3 members have been known to carry a Barbie doll around in their VX ... yet none have 'fessed up' yet.

Also interesting is that nobody has mentioned carrying a cheapo point-n shoot camera for those Kodac moments that come as a suprise.

Marlin
03/23/2010, 03:36 PM
I forgot my AC inverter, led flashlight, shop towels, fuses, ink pen.

Triathlete
03/23/2010, 03:54 PM
Also interesting is that nobody has mentioned carrying a cheapo point-n shoot camera for those Kodac moments that come as a suprise.

I think in this day and age most people have cell phones with cameras...no need for the Kodac.:bwgy:

RickOKC
03/23/2010, 08:25 PM
:( No VX yet, but...

I keep a soft-sided 6-pack cooler in my Mustang filled with the emergency stuff: jumper cables, flashlight, first aid kit, fix-a-flat, rain gear, gloves, zip ties, screwdriver with interchangeable heads, adjustable wrenches, etc. I've never needed any of it yet since it's a fairly new car, but I've been able to help a couple stranded people out with the jumper cables and gave a guy my first can of fix-a-flat.

On the other side of the trunk is a second cooler (the "Diaper Bag") with a California Duster, rags, towels, detail spray, wax, Windex, paper towels, plastic/tire dressing. Like CobraJet said - never know when you'll find a show (or just need to spruce up a bit. Stupid birds!)

My junk in the trunk tip - stick a strip or two of Velcro ("pointy side") to the stuff you keep in the trunk. It grips the carpet and those items don't roll/bang around as you drive.

vt_maverick
03/24/2010, 05:20 AM
Like CobraJet said - never know when you'll find a show (or just need to spruce up a bit. Stupid birds!)

This is a really good point actually because I've found that if I don't clean the bird **** off as soon as I see it I'm cursing myself a week later when washing the car. Meguiar's Quick Detailer spray bottle works great for taking the stuff off the paint and leaving behind a nice shine.

tom4bren
03/24/2010, 06:59 AM
My junk in the trunk tip - stick a strip or two of Velcro ("pointy side") to the stuff you keep in the trunk. It grips the carpet and those items don't roll/bang around as you drive.

Good tip ... but I got bed liner mat covering my carpet in the back so all my sh ... stuff stays in place where the spare donut used to ride.

Triathlete
03/24/2010, 08:41 AM
All my "junk in the trunk" is kept in its place by my wally-world bought box...

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/VX%20trunk%20box/IMG_0102.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/VX%20trunk%20box/IMG_0103.jpg

And it fits nearly perfectly behind the back seat with it up or down!:bwgy:
Oh yea...and it has 2 cup holders:dan_ban::dan_ban:

VX KAT
03/24/2010, 11:02 AM
Kat the neurotic list-maker has been busy....combined everybody's, even tried to group them...feel free to add to this reference list
Walkie talkies (FRS 2-way radios)
Mini Mag-lite
3D Mag-lite
Q beam light (never know when you might need 1,000,000 candle power light)
LED flashlight
Spare batteries
Carabiner clips
Ink pen
Fuses
Hiking poles (Kat special!)

Tire deflators
air pressure gauge
tire repair kit
air compressor
air hose + tyre inflator (run from the compressor tank)
battery jumper / air compressor / portable power supply (like the Cobra)

Ratchet Socket Set - American
Ratchet Socket Set - Metric
Set of metric deep sockets
Small screw driver with bit kit
22mm full size wrench and stubby wrench
few sets of pliers
breaker bar
3' pipe

Gloves
20' snatch strap
20' - 30' -Tow strap/rope
Bridle
Shackles/D-rings/Clevis
Ratchet straps
Bungie cords

Various maps/trail books
Flares
Glow sticks
Snow & window scraper / brush (winter only)
Fold-up camping shovel
Small Gerber hatchet
SOG / Gerber /Leatherman multi-tool
3"-6" Fixed blade or folding / Bowie / Field or liner lock type knife
Spare radiator hose
Lockwire

First Aid kit
Bottle of water
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Shop towels
Binoculars
Life hammer
Hi-Vis/ Safety triangle
Blanket
Solar blanket
Garbage bag
Small bottle of hand cleaner
Disposable camera or camera phone

Jumper cables / Jump leads
Bottle Jack
Piece of wood to put under jack
Four-way tire iron /Gorilla Power wrench
Power inverter
Fire extinguisher
Titan exhaust jack

WD-40
Fix-a-Flat
1 quart of oil
1 quart ATF
Oil funnel

Duct tape
Electrical tape
HD zipties
Razor blades
Bottle opener / corkscrew
Velcro

Quick detailer
Plastic/tire dressing
Wax
Windex
Rags/towels
California duster or feather duster for some;)

Jacket
Socks
Sandals
Waterproof boots
Tarp

....and maybe a Barbie doll somewhere;)

JAMAS
03/24/2010, 11:22 AM
Wow Kat! You gots alots of stuff

MSHardeman
03/24/2010, 11:42 AM
Good lord! Do you people get like 10 miles per gallon with all that junk in the trunk? Seems like many of you are ready for the zombie appocolypse right now. Guess I had better get on the ball.

I only carry:
ice scraper
extra oil
paper towel (or two)
tow strap
first aid/road side "survival" kit

When I'm home in my little valley in Colorado I don't even carry a spare tire with me (donut or otherwise).

crotchrocket
03/24/2010, 12:40 PM
Good lord! Do you people get like 10 miles per gallon with all that junk in the trunk? Seems like many of you are ready for the zombie appocolypse right now. Guess I had better get on the ball.

I only carry:
ice scraper
extra oil
paper towel (or two)
tow strap
first aid/road side "survival" kit

When I'm home in my little valley in Colorado I don't even carry a spare tire with me (donut or otherwise).

Not even a spare tyre?? Thats just Raging against the machine, lol !!

Moonrover
03/24/2010, 01:01 PM
lets see i have
small first aid kit
tire gauge (2)
quart of oil
ice scraper
jumper cables
cleaning supplies
gloves
thats all i can think of

VX KAT
03/24/2010, 01:36 PM
Good lord! Do you people get like 10 miles per gallon with all that junk in the trunk? Seems like many of you are ready for the zombie appocolypse right now.

Wow Kat! You gots alots of stuff

No, No, No boyz, I combined everybody's lists, I'm not trying to be like Ted Kaczynski living in a cabin ! And Mark I WAS going to make that EXACT joke (very weird!) but then everybody usually takes me too seriously if I mention MPG, and gawd knows what would happen if I mentioned "junk in the trunk".... so I decided to skip it:laugho::laugho: Glad you said it though!

Triathlete
03/24/2010, 02:31 PM
Good lord! Do you people get like 10 miles per gallon with all that junk in the trunk?

Nope, I get 16-17 in town and 19-21 on the highway WITH lift and big heavy tires!:bwgy:

Marlin
03/24/2010, 02:41 PM
Nope, I get 16-17 in town and 19-21 on the highway WITH lift and big heavy tires!:bwgy:

Damn, thats pretty good. I get 12 around town and 15-17 on hwy. I am running rich for some reason though, no smoke, but I can smell it. I have noticed no difference from the light weight AT2s to the HEAVY kevlar mudders. I think the roof rack is killing me a bit.

Triathlete
03/24/2010, 03:27 PM
Roof rack will kill gas mileage for sure...more so on the highway than in town...to keep on topic,thats why you keep all the junk in the trunk:bwgy: Heavier tires will heart more in town than on the open highway...once you get them up to speed they maintain it better.

Marlin
03/24/2010, 04:35 PM
I have considered taking it off, but cosmetically, I think its awesome, and then where would I mount my CB antenna?!!!

alanbradley
03/27/2010, 12:23 PM
I always have a fire extinguisher and tools to change the wheel (proper ones rather than the mickey mouse wheel wrench that comes with that VX). There's also some spare oil, paper towel, headlight bulbs, a cheap but comprehensive socket set/tool kit, an ice scraper, spare fuses and a head torch.

When i go off-roading the tool kit gets stepped up and the "big green box" gets added. It contains tow straps of various lengths, a "bungee"-type tow strap, a work lamp and miscellaneous other useful stuff as well as itself - its strong enough to act as a 1 1/2 foot step to help get stuff on and off the roof.

I try and carry a fully-size spare when I'm off-roading too.

I'm sure I've missed stuff too.

A

pbkid
04/02/2010, 04:53 PM
i too, like alan, carry different things depending on what im doing. i have 3 different boxes that get switched around...

one for summer/general road trip stuff...(which stays in all the time)
one for winter which contains cold survival stuff and tow straps.
and the last for camping/wheeling which contains outdoor survival/wheeling comprehensive stuff....