PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Both CV Joints ?

crotchrocket
03/22/2010, 10:11 AM
I now get quite a nasty crunching and binding from the drivers CV joint when turning in 4wd. Both CV joints need replacing. I have done a few searches but nothing has come up (which is weird) its all about CV boot changes. Has anyone done this?

I am going to do the work over Easter but I need to order the parts before hand. Are there any special tools? Anyone got a walk through, lol !

Are these the parts I need???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CV-JOINT-KIT-ISUZU-TROOPER-3-2-PETROL-3165-P-1-92-4_W0QQitemZ390117625585QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsP arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad4d28ef1

Thanks guys!

AlaskaVX
03/22/2010, 01:36 PM
Only special tool I can think of is snap ring pliers to take the ring off inside the axle "tube". After you get everything off and have a little slack to work with you will need to remove the snap ring before you can slide the axle out.

As far as I know there is one CV that is made aftermarket and is a descent price, but the other side is only from Isuzu or a junkyard VX. Please someone clarify if I am right about that. If both CV's are made aftermarket please let me know where I can find them. I think I am running out of junkyard CV's and the Isuzu charges WAY too much for the new one.

crotchrocket
03/22/2010, 02:25 PM
Only special tool I can think of is snap ring pliers to take the ring off inside the axle "tube". .

Cool man, thanks! I got one of those to change to manual hubs

Marlin
03/22/2010, 03:26 PM
I just swapped mine over the weekend while installing the locker. I got the ones off of ebay. Another item you might need will be a steel bar and a large random sized socket. The CV will come with a bolt. It is designed to be threaded into the CV so you can pull the CV out far enough to get the c clip back in. Thread the bolt through a hole in the large steel bar, use the socket as a space to pry against as you tighten the bolt. It is a TIGHT fit. I thought I was going to break something. I got the two CVs for 120 USD shipped. They were brand new. Seem decent enough.

Sprey
03/22/2010, 08:31 PM
iirc dont the 97 trooper cvs fit?

i heard something like stock are much stronger than aftermarket ( well from some isuzu guys over here changing there ones on there mu's)

Ldub
03/22/2010, 11:00 PM
This post...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=132496&postcount=21

From this thread...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13894&highlight=jerry+lemond

May prove somewhat helpful...:_wrench:

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 05:45 AM
CR,

Go to the download section & look at the instructions for the diff drop installation. That should contain all you need to know for the CV swap.

Tom

BTW, BritVX picked up his diff drops last week so if y'all live near each other, work together since the extra hands can be VERY helpful.

crotchrocket
03/23/2010, 05:51 AM
I may be being a bit thick but can't find the download ???

Ldub
03/23/2010, 05:53 AM
I may be being a bit thick but can't find the download ???

Dude...seriously...:rolleyesg...:laughing:... :rotate:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads

Ldub
03/23/2010, 06:34 AM
A bit of a misunderstanding on my part...:mbrasd:

Now that I re-read, I think Tom meant "how to's", not "downloads"

Here's what he was talkin' about...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=49

This is the other article mentioned...

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=48

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 06:42 AM
My bad, it's in the how2 section:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?s=&name=Content&file=viewcategory&cid=8&page=1&perpage=20&sort=date&order=desc&daysprune=-1

You'll probably need these 3: bearing repack, diff drop, CV boot install

You need to decide before you start: are you replacing the entire half shaft including the CV outer races (green cups)?

If you answered yes, then you'll be breaking down the bearings & you'll prolly want Kenny's write-up on that. You'll also need the diff drop instructions to pull the axles from the differential.

If you can re-use the outer races, then your job will be much easier & you can just use the CV boot replacement instructions.

When my CVs went Tango Uniform, the axle shop was able to machine the races whilst mounted so they didn't have to go through removing the differential brackets.

BTW, thanx Ldub for making sure that the whole WORLD knows that I suffer from brain farts on occasion!!! (actually, I was just having a Handee moment).

crotchrocket
03/23/2010, 06:54 AM
:_iamwiths lol :slap:

just kiddin, Thanks for the help! Looks like quite a job, might give the garage a call again to see how much they want. They did say it was just the outer joints that need replacing

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 07:55 AM
The only thing that I had extreme difficulty with was the ball joints on the center link. They were designed with a taper that is entirely too shallow. They are extremely difficult to remove (so much so that we trashed one on CSTYLES & had to replace his center link). Make sure that liberal use of anti-sieze is used when they are re-installed.

Tom

Ldub
03/23/2010, 07:59 AM
BTW, thanx Ldub for making sure that the whole WORLD knows that I suffer from brain farts on occasion!!! (actually, I was just having a Handee moment).

I don't think that many people in Bangladesh read VXinfo...:smilewink

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 10:51 AM
I don't think that many people in Bangladesh read VXinfo...:smilewink

You'd be suprised. I got a PM from a guy there the other day. It said:

jkferiu wiucxm wodl wohdshj kjlj grosd.

That roughly translates to: 'The offset looks great on your Proton'

tom4bren
03/23/2010, 12:58 PM
CR,

This thread might give you some options:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13894

SPAZZ
03/24/2010, 06:44 PM
I can help and walk you thru on replacing cv's...
shoot me an email and I will give you my number.

If you have half a brain you can do it.

brunsjt@hotmail.com

don't pay a shop.

crotchrocket
03/25/2010, 08:53 AM
Thank you spazz!!! Have emailed!

crotchrocket
03/30/2010, 08:11 AM
Do we have 33 or 25 inner splines ????

tom4bren
03/30/2010, 08:29 AM
If I can find the set I got from the boneyard, I'll count them tonight. I assume you're asking for the spline count on the end that goes in the differential.

crotchrocket
03/30/2010, 08:48 AM
Erm, just the inner spline count of the outer CV joint if that makes sense.

This shows two available, one for the 3.2 trooper and one for the 3.2 Vcross, with different spline counts.

http://www.driveshaftstore.co.uk/index.php?search%5BpartType%5D=CV&search%5Bmake%5D=Isuzu&search%5Bengine%5D=*&search%5Byear%5D=1997&search%5Bside%5D=*&searchPart=&search%5BmodelGroup%5D=*&searchMode.x=23&searchMode.y=9

Thanks Tom, if i find out before then i'll let you know.

crotchrocket
03/31/2010, 01:27 AM
Any luck? just i need to order them this morning for tomorrow :D

Ldub
03/31/2010, 02:44 AM
Any luck? just i need to order them this morning for tomorrow :D

Maybe try pm'ing Marlin?

Since he just replaced his, he may have the old ones handy & count em for you.

tom4bren
03/31/2010, 05:04 AM
Spline count=17

That's what's on the end that goes into the Diff. The green cup is still mounted to the shaft on mine so I couldn't count those (wasn't even aware that was splined). I'll see if I can pull the green cup tonight.

Tom

crotchrocket
04/12/2010, 04:32 AM
Still after this spline count, Will PM Marlin and see if theres any info. If not i may need to remove one and before ordering, or drop it at a garage and get them to do it, then i can order the part once they have the info

tom4bren
04/12/2010, 05:35 AM
I'll try to leave work early enough to try & check it out for you tonight.

I know that you can't tell without removing the green cup & I've never done that.

crotchrocket
04/12/2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks Tom, but don't go out of your way for it!

tom4bren
04/12/2010, 08:15 AM
have you tried sending Marlin a PM about this? He's had his out several times but I don't know if he's broken the outer race from the half shaft.

Marlin
04/12/2010, 09:29 AM
have you tried sending Marlin a PM about this? He's had his out several times but I don't know if he's broken the outer race from the half shaft.

Alright, here is what I learned over the weekend. We worked an Amigo, a 2nd gen rodeo and my VX. The cups are removeable fairly easily, just need a jack, and an extra set of hands. As for the spline count, from what we noticed, they were all the same on the ends of the CV. As for the inner race splines, there is a coarse and a fine(not sure the numbers, but there were only two and that is how we defined them:) ). The outer cage assemblies were interchangeable as long as the internal splines matched. We could figure out a way to separate the entire CV assembly into its parts. According to Jerry (for planet members, he is the know all end all of Isuzu parts and has been around since first gen troopers) there is a way to do it, but it is tricky. We tried a 30ton press, no luck.
As for the CVs I broke from Ebay, good news is that they are sending me two brand new ones and they are trying to verify they are from a different run, but no promises. Looking at them, they would be just fine for someone with an open diff, and at 55 bucks a piece are a steal. I am stripping the boots and clips, call it my fee for troubles on the trails:rolleyes:
I will put the mecatech boots on my OEM set and put those back in. Now I will have three spares available.
If anyone has questions, let me know. When I change mine out this weekend, I will do a DETAILED how to with a tools list and whatnot. I am getting to be pretty proficient at this. I will go ahead and replace passenger side ball joints upper and lower as well.

tom4bren
04/13/2010, 08:22 AM
Spline count in question is 33.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG1986.JPG

crotchrocket
04/14/2010, 05:01 AM
Wrong thread replied too...oops