PDA

View Full Version : Needing help reviving my VX

WTF?VX
03/22/2010, 07:19 AM
How to remove the glaze from the headlights?

How to revive the cladding?

Any suggestions on a flat black paint for refinishing the hood insert? I would like to match the cladding.

Any suggestions for replacing brake rotors and pads? Type/brand ect..

vt_maverick
03/22/2010, 07:29 AM
Can't speak too much for the last two, but the glaze can be removed with a 3M headlight cleaner/restorer from your local Autozone / Advance Auto. Costs about $10 I think and includes sanding discs for your drill and polishing gel. That's still on my to-do list also.

Folks around here tend to use one of two products on the cladding, Mother's Back to Black or Refinish Restorer. B2B does a great job IMO but has to be reapplied every few weeks or so. Those in drier states say dust sticks to it pretty badly, and it will run in heavy rain (especially if it rains within a day or two after you apply it).

Refinish Restorer is a semi-permanent paint-type liquid you wipe onto the cladding. Reviews from many members are very positive, in that it lasts for at least 6 months, doesn't attract dust, and doesn't run. Downsides are that it can be swirly if you don't take the time to apply multiple even coats, and that a few people have expressed concerns that it could damage the paint if you get it on the body. Don't know how true that last part is, just remember it being mentioned in another thread.

I'm paranoid about even the chance that I could damage the paint, so I use B2B and apply it with a Mother's Power Ball. Takes probably 15-30 minutes to apply an even solid coat, and the only manual wiping you have to do is a light rub-down to get it perfectly even.

etlsport
03/22/2010, 07:49 AM
do a search for insert and you will find a few people who have re-painted their inserts, some have have them bed lined too with good results

as for brakes, most folks here swear by the OEM pads, they last a long time (my stock ones lasted almost 60k, im on my second set with 30k on them and they look almost new) as for rotors, ive still got factory original front rotors, rear rotors were replaced with duralast rotors from autozone, they were cheap, but are doing the job ok..

a lot of people have used R1 concepts slotted rotors and had good results, and they arent too expensive

tom4bren
03/22/2010, 08:58 AM
I had LineX put on my hood insert. I really like how it turned out & it only cost $50. I use Mother's Back to Black on my cladding.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG0744_.jpg

It'd been a while since B2B had been applied in that photo.

VXorado
03/22/2010, 09:02 AM
Refinish Restorer is a semi-permanent paint-type liquid you wipe onto the cladding. Reviews from many members are very positive, in that it lasts for at least 6 months, doesn't attract dust, and doesn't run. Downsides are that it can be swirly if you don't take the time to apply multiple even coats, and that a few people have expressed concerns that it could damage the paint if you get it on the body. Don't know how true that last part is, just remember it being mentioned in another thread.

I want to try this, B2B works great but only looks good for a week before the dust ruins it (CO has dirty roads).

Good luck on the car refinishing, looks like the guys covered everything you need.

nfpgasmask
03/22/2010, 09:17 AM
How to remove the glaze from the headlights?
Not easy. There are some kits available that will make them better. But personally, I don't think the results last. I bought new headlights, which isn't really the best option or answer here.

How to revive the cladding?
If you do a search for "cladding" you will find A TON of threads about it. I personally like Stoner Trim Shine.

Any suggestions on a flat black paint for refinishing the hood insert? I would like to match the cladding.
I won't go nuts here, because I already did in another thread, but I don't really think "flat" black would match the original color of the hood insert, as it is more of a "gun metal" grey or simply, very dark grey. Furthermore, if you opt for spray paint, it's going to look pretty bad, imo. Trust me, I have painted entire vehicles with spray paint and the VX deserves better. :)

Any suggestions for replacing brake rotors and pads? Type/brand ect..
My only suggesstion here is to go with OEM pads. Most aftermarket rotors will be ok. I have R1 rotors with OEM pads. The OEM pads are generally thicker than aftermarket pads and will work much, much better. That said, I'm sure there are some aftermarket pads that will work ok.

Have fun!!

Bart

tom4bren
03/22/2010, 09:24 AM
Furthermore, if you opt for spray paint, it's going to look pretty bad, imo. Trust me, I have painted entire vehicles with spray paint and the VX deserves better.

Hence the reason I had LineX put on mine. I tried a rattle can but botched the job horribly. There's something about the material in the hood insert that just doesn't like paint (it just sits there in some areas & soaks in in others).

nfpgasmask
03/22/2010, 09:32 AM
Hence the reason I had LineX put on mine. I tried a rattle can but botched the job horribly. There's something about the material in the hood insert that just doesn't like paint (it just sits there in some areas & soaks in in others).

Agreed. I think Line-X is a very good option. Before I replaced my hood insert, I tried some dark grey paint in a small area on my old one and yeah, it would be a tough job to get a good looking results with a rattle can. I think long term we need someone with fiberglass molding experience to start making replacement ones. :thumbup:

I'm just glad I have a new one.

Bart

VX KAT
03/22/2010, 09:36 AM
Headlights - I wetsanded mine with 1000 or 1500, then PlasticX, came out great.

Here's a thread with several different suggestions and results.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4957&highlight=1000+sandpaper+wet

After you get them cleared up, you can also use 303 with it's SPF 40 for UV protection, or Plexus (but I don't think it has an SPF). It's the UV rays that caused them to haze up in the first place.

tom4bren
03/22/2010, 09:37 AM
BTW,

While the LineX looks great on the hood insert, after due consideration, the texture is waaaay too course for the cladding. I know some have done it & liked it but just not my cup o tea.

RickOKC
03/22/2010, 11:06 AM
I wonder how vinyl (the same material used for racing stripes) would work for the hood insert. I installed a matte black "blackout" piece between my car's taillights over the weekend and it looks terrific. I can't say this first attempt is perfect but I have absolutely no regrets. Installation is the same process as window tinting. I bought a custom cut piece online and had it shipped for $30. There is also a place in town that cuts custom shapes (with or without installation) and they have many different colors. I bet buying a blank piece that could be cut to shape would be economical.

circmand
03/22/2010, 02:33 PM
B2B worked great only had dust problems on dirt roads. The main person with this complaints lives on a dirt road so Duh!!!

As for the insert I had good results just waxing it. It took all the haze our and had it back to black as original.

VX KAT
03/22/2010, 05:52 PM
B2B worked great only had dust problems on dirt roads. The main person with this complaints lives on a dirt road so Duh!!!

Hey Circ! I resemble that remark! Just cuz I live on a dirt road doesn't mean I didn't want my cladding to look good! Duh! I went with Refinish/Restore and solved the problem! ;)

Mile High VX
03/22/2010, 06:11 PM
I use Armorall on my cladding and it looks good through a few washings, but am thinking about using Gatorback in the medium gray.

I have used the Megaurs headlight refinish kit and it works great, but it's not long lasting because there is no protectant for the cleared lens. There is a new product you can get at Wal-Mart, come in a "foil" pouch with paper, cleaner, and protectant. The video on youtube looks good and it's $20. I may try it this Summer.

rowhard
03/22/2010, 06:57 PM
Well, first off, welcome to the addiction. To bad you can't do a question mark on license plates. your user name would be a good one.

Headlights: I had some real bad crazing and the shipper damaged them so I did like VXKat and sanded. I wrote a thread called zen and the art of headlight polishing or something like that here. It's under the how to column. Talk to a few shops in your town that do tinting and see if you can get them to cover your headlights with Lexan after you get them right. I did that to mine 3 odd years ago and no crazing plus they are bullet proof now.

Cladding: many products out there which I have tried most. In the end, I just use one grand ERV. I get it here, buy the one gallon size. http://store.carcareonline.com/onegrandextrubberandvinyl-16ozpumpspray.aspx Takes me about 5 minutes to go around the VX after a wash and dry and it looks pretty sharp when done.

Hood insert: Many options again. One I tried before I scored a carbon fiber insert was turtle wax color wax in black. Couple of coats and it looks pretty fine. 7 odd bucks from amazon if you can't find it local.

Get friendly with the search engine here, you will find many answers to questions your going to have.

Mile High VX
03/22/2010, 07:02 PM
Here is the last post I remember with a good review of a refinished insert.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17352&highlight=hood+insert

Riff Raff
03/23/2010, 12:53 AM
I wonder how vinyl (the same material used for racing stripes) would work for the hood insert. I installed a matte black "blackout" piece between my car's taillights over the weekend and it looks terrific. I can't say this first attempt is perfect but I have absolutely no regrets. Installation is the same process as window tinting. I bought a custom cut piece online and had it shipped for $30. There is also a place in town that cuts custom shapes (with or without installation) and they have many different colors. I bet buying a blank piece that could be cut to shape would be economical.

RickOKC--- You are right on target with the benefits of Vinyl Decals. A very cool (and economical) way to go for various Hood Insert applications is the Carbon-Fiber vinyl decals available in various carbon-fiber colors (grays, reds, yellows, etc) to match the VX body color. Just do a internet search for "Carbon Fiber Decal" and prepare to drool. These would look awesome on the VX Hood Insert!!!

Ldub
03/23/2010, 02:00 AM
Get friendly with the search engine here, you will find many answers to questions your going to have.

Good advice...:yesgray:

With not too much effort, these two areas will answer a lot of questions that new owners typically have...the same one's I asked, not that many years ago...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php