PDA

View Full Version : off-roading in Utah

rowhard
03/20/2010, 07:32 AM
Something to wet your appetite for MOAB. On Speed Channel Wednesday, the program Dangerous Drives will air at 6 pm Pacific time. It is about off-roading in Utah. Am sure it will be much more serious off road compared to what the VX Meet is like, but for those that have never been,... well, you'll get the itch I'm sure. It is a thrill and you will get to meet some great people and be able to put faces to names.

Triathlete
03/20/2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up...setting the DVR!:bwgy:

VX KAT
03/24/2010, 08:55 PM
It was great! Was a week long trip throughout Canyonlands/Moab, some 480 miles, during the snowiest period in 39 yrs, so it was just blanketed in snow. One part was on a real narrow shelf road that was pretty hairy.

American Expedition Vehicles out of Missoula, MT does ground up modifications of Jeeps and they were doing a field test of a Jeep they'd just done massive mods on. They also had along two other of their heavily modded Jeeps, one that was turned into a pickup- called the "Brute", and one Land Rover Disco.

Scott Brady, the publisher of Overland Journal, lives right here in Prescott and he was one of the 4 drivers.

It showed driving through virgin 12" snow, and several occasions they had to use a winch. It was really a great show. Although I won't be driving in the snow & ice up there any time soon, thank you.

It repeats several times...even though it's snow, it'll still getcha psyched for Moab! :bgwb:

Riff Raff
03/25/2010, 04:02 AM
Ditto VX-KAT. I watched it too, and the show was pretty awesome. Excellent photography and scenary. The highly modified Jeep called "The Brute" seemed to be nearly unstoppable and was the leader of the pack breaking the trail ahead for the others. Thanx ROWHARD for the advance heads-up, as I would have missed the TV broadcast without your prior notification.:thumbup:

rowhard
03/25/2010, 06:44 AM
Sandy and I are watching it now. Sue, did you have some flashbacks? We sure as hell did

VX KAT
03/25/2010, 10:03 AM
Sandy and I are watching it now. Sue, did you have some flashbacks? We sure as hell did
Yeah, glad we go in May! Couldn't imagine doing slickrock in snow or ice....:eek:

nfpgasmask
03/25/2010, 10:38 AM
Is that the same program that had the guy driving the Bolivian "Death Road" in a 1st gen Trooper? If so, good show. I'll try to catch it!

Bart

Dumke
03/25/2010, 11:45 AM
Ya I didnt read this till after I watched the show. Which I wouldnt have seen it if a old roomate didnt notify me of it via text.

Hey Tom that not sure fi you saw it but that "narrow shelf road" looks familiar. I was looking for the crshed car on the side of of cliff. Man if its the same thing well lets justs ay was my first off road trip to moab and had seat particles in my behind do to the pucker effect...

I remember the cb convo like it was yesterday.. As we are going up. "Um Tom is this a 2 way road?" "Why yes it is." "OK well where are we suppose to pull over" (thinking to myself no way in hell that is happening. Was really only room for one vehicle.. LOL good times

Trip they took looked fun

tomdietrying
03/25/2010, 12:01 PM
Rob,
Those were the good times!!!! There will be some more good times in Moab this year. Can ya make it?
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
03/25/2010, 01:15 PM
They over-dramatized it a LOT. The trails they were on were no where near as narrow as they made them out to be (anyone who has done Kane Creek or Cliff Hanger can atest to that). Part of that trip (Schaffer Trail) I did last year...you could drive a tank down it. Good show anyways!
I would love to do Moab in the winter. Would be a great time and change of scenery...not that I get tired of the Moab scenery!:bwgy:

Dumke
03/25/2010, 01:58 PM
Rob,
Those were the good times!!!! There will be some more good times in Moab this year. Can ya make it?
Peace.
Tom

Yes Tom I am. However making a side trip to Az to see some friends before hand so I will not be following you and Scott this year.

They over-dramatized it a LOT. The trails they were on were no where near as narrow as they made them out to be.

Billy yes they did and I am not sure if it was same one but well some 4 wheelers tried passing us and there wasnt much room lol.

Triathlete
03/25/2010, 02:22 PM
Where at in Az? Depending on time/date might be able to hook up with you. I am not sure what day I am leaving yet.

rowhard
03/25/2010, 09:49 PM
yea, your right Billy, they did. But for those that have never been there, and for those of us, (me and Sandy) and many others that have only been there once, it was exciting.

You'll laugh. Sandy and I just finished watching it. The part toward the end where they decided to detour and head for pavement.

She, the one that had bailed out on me on the first ledge of Again and Again, the same ledge that I was ready to sell my VX to anyone that could get it off of it,....... screamed,................ YOU P*****S!!

VX KAT
03/25/2010, 11:15 PM
Yes Tom I am. However making a side trip to Az to see some friends before hand so I will not be following you and Scott this year.

Where at in Az? Depending on time/date might be able to hook up with you. I am not sure what day I am leaving yet.

I'm heading out Sunday 5/9 solo, so we could make it a trio caravan if it's Sunday. :thumbup:

Dumke
03/26/2010, 08:31 AM

I'm heading out Sunday 5/9 solo, so we could make it a trio caravan if it's Sunday. :thumbup:

Well funny you should say that Billy. Actually I will be in your neck of the woods during week either wednesday/thursday. I am wanting to go eat at lindy's on 4th so its really going to be a stop relax a few eat and go lol.. I wont know exact dates/times till I plan trip out a little further (its a work in progress.) My Destination is Surprise will be there for sure Thursday May 6-9 to visit some friends. Sunday will be headed to Hoover Dam, Henderson Nevada (if that simpson house is still there) and then Byrce Canyon. You could say I am taking the "Scenic" Route.. Which brings me to Kat.. Sorry I wont be able to make the trio caravan even tho I would love to. So I will have to see you 2 in MOAB

LOl what was this thread about again??? :hj:

kat/billy/tom (sorry to throw you under the bus... kinda :p) Made me do it :D

rowhard
03/31/2010, 10:46 PM
For those of you that missed this program, it will be aired again on 4/4/10, Speed Channel at 8 pm. I assume that is eastern time. Anyway, watch it or have a friend record it on their DVR. Well worth it even if it is hollywood-ised some what.

rowhard
09/26/2010, 03:08 PM
Is that the same program that had the guy driving the Bolivian "Death Road" in a 1st gen Trooper? If so, good show. I'll try to catch it!

Bart

Bart, sorry for the late reply. No, your thinking of the episode on Top Gear