PDA

View Full Version : New member

pdmarty
03/19/2010, 02:51 AM
We just purchased a 2001 white iron-man (119K) from the original owner who kept meticulous records. Yes,we are lucky indeed. The vehicle is actually for my son who turns 16 in a few months. The car is in great shape except for the driver side window binding a little. So far the only thing i have done is replace the tires, stereo (which was factory), cd changer (it became a storage compartment), all 4 speakers and two front cv boots that were torn. Other than that, this beast is mechanically sound. By the way, i know its a lot of vehicle for a teenager but he loves the power and responsiveness. i love the fact that because of the sensitive steering and blind spot, he is forced to pay attention at all times. He will have the joy (my word, not his) of riding with me on the passenger side until he turns 16 in July. Then and only then it will be used for school and practice (both of which are 7 miles from our home).

i will try to post some pictures soon. can anyone recommend a good mechanic for this car around the DFW (Texas) area? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LiquidVX
03/19/2010, 03:44 AM
Your son is a lucky kid indeed. Congrats on your new VX.

vt_maverick
03/19/2010, 04:11 AM
Congrats and welcome to you and your son. Prepare to be sucked in by the forum (if you aren't already)!

Quick recommendations for you: (1) Pick up a set of replacement steel window lifts from Street Boutique Customs (SBC). That should permanently fix your binding problem, although you may have to replace the motor and/or regulator if they're already broken. Search the site and you'll find the link to their website and instructions on how to install them if you're so inclined.

And (2), pick up a set of blind spot mirrors at Wal-Mart. They cost $3 I think, and make a world of difference for visibility. Keep in mind that if he's looking over his shoulder that much, he actually increases the likelihood of rear-ending someone. Since I stuck those mirrors on two years ago, I bet I haven't looked over my shoulder once.

Riff Raff
03/19/2010, 04:17 AM
Since your Son can't see out the back window when backing up; just tell him to keep backing up until it sounds expensive, and then stop. Don't worry about finding a good mechanic; find a good Body Shop first, and make him get his own seperate insurance policy without your name on it as a co-signer.

tom4bren
03/19/2010, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the family. Some local (to you) owners that come to mind are: LittleBeast, tomdietrying & Geshaw30. Maybe they can recommend a decent mechanic in your area. Better yet - stay active on the forum & become your own mechanic. We even have some wimmin who have become wrenching wonders:)

VX KAT
03/19/2010, 02:16 PM
Welcome! I lived in Plano for 12 yrs (just left 2 yrs ago). Forum members
"tomdietrying" and "Scott Harness" are in Dallas. Think those other two above are in Houston. I didn't have my VX in Dallas so I can't help much. Some find that a good private shop tends to be better than a dealership but that depends on if that dealership has any specifically Isuzu trained mechanics still on board.
Here's the remaining "authorized" Isuzu service facilities in Dallas:

CLAY COOLEY ISUZU
10849 COMPOSITE DRIVE
DALLAS, TX 75220
(214) 357-5700

FAZELI ISUZU
16200 LBJ FREEWAY
MESQUITE, TX 75150
(972) 270-2080

MANUEL ISUZU
8075 GRAPEVINE HWY.
N RICHLAND HLS., TX 76180
(817) 788-2994

For assistance locating an Isuzu Service Facility:
Owner Relations (800) 255-6727

don moore
03/19/2010, 07:25 PM
yup thats our KAT.....good job.
oh welcome to the madness

Mile High VX
03/20/2010, 07:28 AM
Wecome to the madness...it's a good thing and only hurts a little...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

A good back-up camera is only a few hundred dollars and can save you that much and more. I have one and many of the other members do also.

Ditto on the spot mirrors, just make sure you get the smaller ones. I had the larger ones on mine when I bought it, but it obstructed too much of the regular mirror, so I changed them. It's much better now and is a better balance between the regular view and the spot.

rowhard
03/20/2010, 07:42 AM
First, welcome to the addiction. Think you need to use some reverse parenting and have driving rights on the weekends.

Spot mirrors are good, but they are limited. The rear view camera is great for backing and parking, but here is a real jewel of a mirror. Understand it was designed by the police in Germany for the autobahn. Maybe that is why it is called the 'Autobahn Mirror'. Well worth the money and A.J., (username Totallto) thanks for turning me on to this mirror.

http://www.autobahnmirror.com/

a video about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmhiRAO3qrY

Scott Harness
03/20/2010, 10:13 AM
Welcome!! I talked to you a few weeks ago in your patrol car.
Glad you made it to the site. We will have to have a Dallas meet soon.
I highly recommend
Coppell Tire and Auto
1203 Crestside Dr#160
Coppell,Tx 75019
972-393-2521
www.coppelltireandauto.com
Tomdietrying just had a good experience with them.
They changed my engine out and put in a transfer case.

Kona-Vs
03/20/2010, 11:49 AM
Welcome and Aloha from Hawaii I did the same thing, I bought my son a 99 Ironman for his first car It's worked out great! Nice safe vehicle lots of attention and the visibility issue isn't a big deal. I told him if he drives "stupid" I'll find out because his truck stands out so much:bgwo: The only problem I've had is that I liked his so much I had to get one for me:dance:

tomdietrying
03/21/2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah, Welcome to the family! I see Scott posted about Coppell Tire @ Auto. I would recommend it. They are honest and very knowledgable. Two thumbs up.
Peace.
Tom

pdmarty
03/24/2010, 02:52 AM
Thank you everyone for the great tips and thoughts. I already ordered the steel window lifts. Our VX came with the small wallmart blind spot mirrors already in place and yes, they are quite helpful. Also we ride with the rear seat folded flat and that seems to help a somewhat with the rear view. My son is only allowed to ride with me for now and then only with one other person next year. Rear view camera is coming next just as soon as I pay for the two torn cv boots, and new tires. Again thank you for the warm welcome. Look forward to getting to know you all better.

One final question, the previous original owner always put premium unleaded in this vehicle. Should I continue this practice?

Stay safe,
pdmarty

Ldub
03/24/2010, 03:03 AM
One final question, the previous original owner always put premium unleaded in this vehicle. Should I continue this practice?

Stay safe,
pdmarty

There are those who will argue this point, but the requirement for the stock engine is 87 octane (regular unleaded)

If it is supercharged, then yes, premium is advised.

Welcome to the Fam...:yesgray:

nfpgasmask
03/24/2010, 09:28 AM
Your son is a lucky kid indeed. Congrats on your new VX.

x2. A VX at 16 would have been AWESOME. However, I would have likely wheeled it to DEATH. Tell your son to be gentle...except for with the girls he will likely score with in his VX!! :eek: :D :rotate: :evil:

Bart

vt_maverick
03/24/2010, 09:34 AM
...Tell your son to be gentle...except for with the girls he will likely score with in his VX!! :eek: :D :rotate: :evil:

Bart

+1 :yesy: No wait, must... remember... I have a baby girl of my own now... Shame on you! :noy:

;)