PDA

View Full Version : VERY close call for the VX this weekend

Dallas4u
08/18/2003, 12:02 PM
Check this out... early Sunday morning (3:10am), I'm asleep in bed and I hear this loud SHUMP... CRASH! I immediately jumped up in bed, and reached for the phone. My wife woke up to me on top of her wondering what the hell was going on. So much goes through your mind in like .10th of a second, I thought it was a speeding car that had side-swiped something, gone airborne, and landed into something else, hence the first crash, then the second. I jumped out of bed and ran to the window on our stairway. I say a small car on the side of our house smoking, and two guys get out a run. I thought they were running because it was on fire (and I didn't see any other cars or anything close to them). I went to throw some clothes on and call 911, and my wife said the car was now on fire! I called the police and told them a car was on fire, then went out into my backyard to the driveway. I noticed our gate was open, so I told him that there may have been a breakin, but it didn't look like either one of our cars were damaged. He said many people had already called about it, and the police and EMS were on the way. Seriously, within no more than 2 minutes, the a police car was on the scene, and another showed up 1-2 minutes later. A fire engine was there within 4-5 minutes, but the flames had already been put out (just under the car).

Here's what REALLY happened... my house is on a corner lot. On one side is NE 63rd Ave, on the other Milton St. Our half of Milton is paved, and the other isn't. This car (cheaply-a$$ed modified '94 Honda Civic hatchback, owned and operated by some obviously dumb-***** Vietnamese kid) was hauling-*** down Milton... enough to get some SERIOUS speed going. It had to be close to 100mph, if not over. He hit the dirt/gravel road, lost control, plowed head-on into a '72 full-size Ford pickup, and launched the truck 20-25 feet, making a 90 degree turn, into my new cedar driveway gates. The truck hit the gates with it's rear-end, and pushed the steel locking bar (the bar that slides into a hole in the concrete to keep it from being opened) through the concrete, bending the steel bar and the steel frame of the gate, and acting as a "rubberband" by only allowing the truck to go so far into our driveway, then flinging it back out about 6 feet or so back into the street. Luckily, the gates were put in about 2 or so months ago, or the rear of the truck was on a collision corse for the rear of my VX! The gate saved it for sure.

The police ran the plates, while the cell phone left in the car started ringing. The police answered, and it was the mother of the punk-***** who ran. The police (green as the inside of my boxers) told her that her son was just involved in a hit-and-run, and that he (officer) was coming to the house. IDIOT!!! Of course, when they got there, the kid wasn't there, and his brother and father weren't there either. The mother even said she couldn't remember her sons' birth dates!! She also said that the brother of the kid who the car was registered to was the one driving, and isn't sure who the other guy was. Obviously, the father and the brother (whether it was the the owner-kid or his brother really driving, not sure) took off looking for the guy, who was now running and hiding with possibly some internal damage and serious airbag burns on his face. The weight of the 2000lb. Civic, hitting a 2.5 ton full-size truck, knocking it that far, going possibly 90-100 mph, needless to say the Civic was pretty f'd up.

Anyway, I'll post some pics tonight after I get home. I took plenty of the fence and the car, and the position of the vehicles involved.

Fun weekend!

Anita
08/18/2003, 12:18 PM
Adam,

Glad the VX was spared! ;eekr;

You always have the best stories to tell.. :flame:

AlaskaVX
08/18/2003, 12:35 PM
I'm gonna have to post some pics of my brothers f'd up truck, (hit by drunk driver) it's still sitting in our front lawn. When we were at a kegger this weekend we actually met the guy that hit his truck. My brothers butterfly stitches worked pretty well you can't really see a scar, but its there. Its crazy how people can live through these accidents, he hit my brothers parked truck at about 75-80mph and went halfway under it, walked away with minor cuts that my brother butterflied up.

Glad the VX was out of harms way, I swear there is someone/something overlooking our VX's :angel:

loco6464
08/18/2003, 12:44 PM
Now that's what I call a story. Did you put that down on paper and work on it or did you just rattle that out in one shot.

Talk about close calls, I'm glad no one was hurt and good thing for the ricer your VX was untouched.
;pg;

Dallas4u
08/18/2003, 01:07 PM
It was a one-shot email that I copied and pasted. I knew I wouldn't want to write that much detail again, so I figured I'd copy and paste. It was like a block party out there at 3:30am.. neighbors who I had never met were now my best friends! It was nice, considering I had only talked to Rod (neighbor who was referred to as "the toothless neighbor who is always drinking beer on the front porch")once, and never talked to Dave (neighbor who was referred to as "The Crazy Birdman", because he lives with sounds like 20 Parrots and Parakeets, and you can usually here then chirping and "cawww"-ing 9 or so hours out of the day). Luckily, the one gate door that the truck hit would probably only cost $600-$700 to fix, and I'm hoping someone's insurance pays for it. I don't want to make a homeowners ins. claim because we have a $500 deductible, and we don't want the monthly payment to go up either.

Alaska - talk about butterfly bandages... when I was, like, 20 or 21, I slipped knee first into a covered parking steel post which just happened to have a sharp piece of metal sticking out of it, oh (you guessed it), knee high! It went through my pants and through the skin, to the kneecap. I didn't have insurance at the time, so I hobbled upstairs to my apartment and called an ex-girlfriend to come over. I had a full leg splint from highschool sports, put that on, and we went to the grocery store. I patched that baby up with Neosporin and butterfly bandages and, although it isn't the prettiest scar in the world, it didn't get infected, and it works as well as it did before!

AlaskaVX
08/18/2003, 01:24 PM
Neosporin yah that stuff kicks-***, funny you should mention that since thats exactly what my brother used! LOL

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/18/2003, 01:46 PM
Interesting story...Glad Your VX didn't end up damaged like Spazz's...All those Vultures would be circling around Your VX
right about now...lol...Caw, Caw, any parts U wanna sell...Caw....

I hear that Superglue is the latest, greatest thing for instant stitches...I even read somewhere where the Military gives soldiers
"liquid stitches" for out in the field!

Dallas4u
08/18/2003, 02:41 PM
They have that liquid bandage stuff out now. I'd probably go for something like that if it was out then. Other than that, Neosporin is magic in my eyes... it heals 2 times faster you know!

Dallas4u
08/19/2003, 07:58 AM
I have some pics of the wreck in my gallery (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3055&ppuser=35&thumb=1). They don't show the scene as well as I thought they would (it was 3:30am, you know). The front of the Civic is trash, but amazingly nothing really moved in the interior. The Civic went under the front of the truck, so the corner of the truck pushed up and crinkled the Civics hood and, well, everything else.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2311&size=big&papass=&sort=4