PDA

View Full Version : Post-winter overhaul

WormGod
03/16/2010, 07:33 AM
So, this passed weak, I tore out enough metal guts to make the typical car owner cringe (sure wish I took pics). Radiator, supercharger (which includes a crapton more than most realize), all vacuum lines, valve covers, plugs, more wires than what you would find hiding behind my entertainment system, etc, etc, etc. In all, I had a LOT of time on my hands and found that after this ugly winter and the extreme salt build up gained, a good clean down and gasket replacement would be a good addition since I already had to replace the intake manifold (supercharger plenum) gaskets.

I also has a bit more rewiring and soldering I needed to do from last year where rodents found some of my wiring rather delicious.

Thoroughly looked over EVERYTHING and glad I did. I found the EGR line beneath the EGR block to be quite loose and able to wiggle and spin by hand alone. Would explain some of my lack in the MPG dept.

Also found a small crack in my PCV, Unsure how that could have happened and suspect a factory defect (considering it's like the 3rd one now).

The radiator got a pressure wash that would make an African elephant jealous. Looks brand spanking new. The GM branding on it now stands out better than ever. ;)

Very pleased with how the internals look. At 51k miles, they look no more than a year old. About 2500 into my most recent oil change too and not a single bit of oil burn. Though, I am one of those select few that has never suffered from the VX burning oil. Probably since it's only a Sunday driver.

I had hoped to come across why, on rare occasions, I find droplets of goblin blood on the garage floor/driveway. I did not come across any cooling line issues or otherwise. Ruling it out as reservoir overflow. *shrug*

Took a gamble on the Rockauto intake gaskets that were mentioned here. Very similar design to the OEM, cranked at "13" lbs. Here's to hoping that cures my 171/174 once and for all considering I have already been through all other alternatives. The gaskets I removed DID have some heat scoring from port to outer edge so it does appear that there was a leak present at that location. Hoping that's the case and that it has been squashed.

9-10 hours total work and all that is left to do is wrap my fresh wiring with some wire tubing/insulation. But for now, my back needs some MUCH deserving R&R. That was some demanding work in that short amount of time.

She hasn't been out for about 2 weeks now and I am really looking forward to cranking her up and taking her out this upcoming weekend.

Oh, amazingly enough, first time in my life I turned wrenches and did turn my hands into chopped liver. Nil a drop of blood. That is some kind of lifetime achievement right? ;)

Ldub
03/16/2010, 07:43 AM
Good job G man...:_wrench:.:thumbup:

Dunno how you could do all that & spill not one drop of blood...:_confused

Hope she runs strong for you...:_steering

NO CODES !!!

Triathlete
03/16/2010, 02:13 PM
If you find that you have a lot more time on your hands, want to get out of the cold and enjoy some nice warm sunshine (76 today...80 tomorrow:yesy:) you can always swing on down Tucson way and practice on my VX...you won't find any salt or rust but a lot of dirt instead!:bwgy:

WormGod
03/17/2010, 07:15 AM
Send a ticket my way and prep up the spare bedroom Billy. :p

Luckily, it's been hitting mid 60's here. Not a drop of that 60+" of snow ANYWHERE anymore.

The itchy browser finger was searching the web last night. Found a price that is hard to refuse on a Brembo big brake kit. Gonna contact some folks today and see what it will take to "make it so" with the VX. Hmmmm......

pbkid
03/21/2010, 08:51 PM
pics??? ;)