PDA

View Full Version : Another Sport Utility Vehicle

LiquidVX
03/15/2010, 03:25 PM
I really miss my VX. It was too expensive to ship to Europe so I sold her. Now I am moving back and looking for another. Nothing has fit me like a Vehicross. No other vehicle has made me feel like the VX did. In my search for another it occured to me... No company has made anything similar???

You see a lot of contenders: The Toyota RSC, Audi's Steppenwolf, and VW's nameless prototypes from the Detroit auto show. But none of these have made it to production not even in limited numbers.

Did Isuzu lose so much money on the Vehicross they vowed never to try something like it again? It was easily their most popular vehicle.

Are other manufacturers so scared to try something new? Must we choose new versions of the same tired old vehicles year after year? And when a new vehicle comes out, by the time it goes into production the design is so watered down its boring.

I am a designer by trade and I imagine the automotive industry works like my industry. It goes like this:

Company needs new design.
They hire designer because thats the thing to do.
Designer submits design to the committee. Its the equivalent of a Vehicross.
The committee thinks they know better and suggests a bunch of changes.
Designer submits revisions.

Steps 4 and 5 are repeated at several times.

Committee approves design... Its the equivalent to Toyota Camry.

I realize there are production costs and such to consider but was the VX so costly all car manufacturers said "Woah, lets not do that ok guys?"

Triathlete
03/15/2010, 04:05 PM
Or maybe one of THESE (http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2009/07/09-fornasari-racing-buggy/)! Probably the closest NEW vehicle to the VX in my opinion.:bwgy:

LiquidVX
03/15/2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah but again, doesn't exist. Also I am not digging the CG renders.

jdm monkey
03/15/2010, 05:42 PM
I think BMW X6 comes pretty close to VX philosophy.

LiquidVX
03/15/2010, 06:18 PM
close but no cigar.

vt_maverick
03/15/2010, 06:37 PM
I think the Hummer HX Concept would have been close for many of us, too bad the Chinese didn't share our enthusiasm. :(

Triathlete
03/15/2010, 09:31 PM
Ah, but they will be available soon! They also build some other sweet vehicles. Here is their homepage (http://www.fornasaricars.com/).

LiquidVX
03/16/2010, 06:39 AM
Figures now that I am leaving Europe this company is going to start producing something I would like. Anyways €80,000 is a little out of my price range and if I am going to pay that it wont be for a car with such hideous interior styling. The outside is nice though and it looks fully capable to handle anything you throw at it.

The Hummer HX Concept is right up my alley. But once again.... CONCEPT. You cant buy concept cars.

Does anyone know of a similar type of vehicle for less than $60k that is going to be produced in the near future? As much as I love the VX, I would like to find another car to get excited about. Maybe then I won't appear so obsessed with the VehiCross.

Ldub
03/16/2010, 06:47 AM
As much as I love the VX, I would like to find another car to get excited about. Maybe then I won't appear so obsessed with the VehiCross.

You may as well give yourself over to the dark side & get it over with...:yesgray:

You could buy a couple of VX's (or is that Vehicri?) & enough parts to keep em going for quite some time, for under 60k...:naughty:

LiquidVX
03/17/2010, 11:03 AM
You may as well give yourself over to the dark side & get it over with...:yesgray:

You could buy a couple of VX's (or is that Vehicri?) & enough parts to keep em going for quite some time, for under 60k...:naughty:

Auto manufacturers have not given me any other choice. Darkside here I come.