PDA

View Full Version : Side Window Visors

momaster
03/12/2010, 09:25 PM
I am looking for a set of Side Door Visors by Aerovisor and GT Styling #80126 for my 99' Vehicross they are wider than the low profile ones but is there anyone out there that knows where I can get further info .

Ldub
03/13/2010, 01:08 AM
I just copied & pasted "GT Styling #80126 " into a goog search & found...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GTS-80196/

The part # you listed looks like it's for a mitsu...:confused:

yellowgizmo99
03/14/2010, 09:02 AM
says #80196 is one we need

Y33TREKker
03/14/2010, 09:48 AM
When you say you are looking for the ones that are "wider" than the low profile sets, are you talking about the Japanese (JDM) versions that were offered when the VX was first introduced?

JHarris1385
03/14/2010, 10:22 AM
If you are looking for the JDM - good luck. I have never been able to find a source that fully comes through in the end.

Ldub
03/14/2010, 11:19 AM
If you look at the pic in the link I posted, you'll see that the one's they're showing a pic of look wider than the standard vents I've seen before.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GTS-80196/

Y33TREKker
03/14/2010, 12:45 PM
True, but right below the picture is also says "Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary."

djvx
07/19/2011, 08:39 PM
I just ordered a pair of GT style ones from Amazon, #40196. $42.97 pr. free shipping. no tax.

blacksambo
07/20/2011, 11:41 AM
They don't look substantially different than the weathertech brand vents, do they?

JAMAS
07/20/2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/GT-Styling-40196-Vent-Gard-Deflector/dp/B0002ZHH04/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=VehiCROSS|235&n=15684181&s=automotive

Gussie2000 reviewed them in 2009....

Vendetta
07/20/2011, 12:38 PM
I got the WeatherTech ones last month, no problems at all. They fit just fine of course, but don't do a darned thing to reduce the wind. I can't imagine the GT ones being any different in that respect. They *MIGHT* be a little darker, but it's impossible to tell from the pics.

MustangO4
07/20/2011, 01:03 PM
The only way to reduce the wind is going to be putting a vent of some sort in the back. If only the rear window would go down, like in a 4 runner all our problems would be solved. That is really my primary motivation to remove the back hatch and doors for the summer.

I was also considering a roof vent in the back like in a conversion van.

Like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407CK5W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002CXIJNS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=117FPEVF3RQX3YV635HV

ron
07/20/2011, 02:03 PM
If you are looking for the JDM - good luck. I have never been able to find a source that fully comes through in the end.

This is a project that I've been meaning to tackle. I had a set on my ex-ebony so I know how they install and can recollect the overall size and shape. I'll be reverse engineering the outter door frame to get basic dimensions to input in CAD and build a surface profile of the jap oem vent visors based on photos and memory. rudy

JHarris1385
07/20/2011, 04:14 PM
Great! I have wanted one for years. There are quite a few others as well.

JAMAS
07/20/2011, 04:43 PM
yarp. I would buy

blacksambo
07/20/2011, 06:50 PM
I would definitely buy as well. They are shown in the JDM accessories glossy catalog. I presume you have access to that brochure? If not, let us know and we'll work something out.

johnnyapollo
07/21/2011, 03:16 AM
Couple of comments as an owner of original JDM visors.

1. They have cut-outs for the mirrors that limit their effectiveness against wind and rain. This is due to the JDM folding-mirror which was not brought to the US (not sure if that was a cost cutting measure or if they weren't "approved" in the US yet).

2. They mount to the exterior via double-stick tape and a small metal bracket (I owned the WeatherTech previously and the installation was actually easier/cleaner).

3. The stick out quite a bit and can sometimes get in the way (I've also hit my head on the edge a few times).

Just wanted to provide some disclosure before Ron goes through all the effort to avoid any backlash. Ron - if you want some detailed measurements and photos let me know and I'll be happy to provide.

-- John

JAMAS
07/21/2011, 05:36 AM
1. They have cut-outs for the mirrors that limit their effectiveness against wind and rain. This is due to the JDM folding-mirror which was not brought to the US (not sure if that was a cost cutting measure or if they weren't "approved" in the US yet).

Ummm.....My mirrors fold in.

tom4bren
07/21/2011, 06:02 AM
Ummm.....My mirrors fold in.

Not 'lectric-ly.

IIRC, the JDM mirrors actually fold in automatically when put in park or engine shuts down.

Vendetta
07/21/2011, 06:10 AM
Even though I just picked up the WeatherTechs, I'd be interested if someone fabs a hybrid WeatherTech/JDM style - a wider-flared more organic looking deflector (JDM style) that tucks into the window channel (WT style).

JAMAS
07/21/2011, 06:29 AM
Not 'lectric-ly.

IIRC, the JDM mirrors actually fold in automatically when put in park or engine shuts down.

AAAAHHHHHHHH....now I see.

I make a robot noise when I fold them in. Does that count?

vt_maverick
07/21/2011, 06:54 AM
Not 'lectric-ly.

Don't think it was that sophisticated, they were controlled by a switch that goes in the blank spot beside your heated mirror switch. Pretty sure you had to do it yourself.

vt_maverick
07/21/2011, 06:56 AM
...I'd be interested if someone fabs a hybrid WeatherTech/JDM style - a wider-flared more organic looking deflector (JDM style) that tucks into the window channel (WT style).

+1 I like the way this guy thinks. :yesy:

pnwdawg
07/21/2011, 08:59 AM
I'm also interested in buying a set

tom4bren
07/21/2011, 09:33 AM
AAAAHHHHHHHH....now I see.

I make a robot noise when I fold them in. Does that count?

UMMMM - sure, but only if you do it every time.

I'm also interested in buying a set

;puke2; on wind deflectors. If the VX was meant to have wind deflectors & cup holders & roof racks it would've been made by Honda rather than Isuzu.

JHarris1385
07/21/2011, 09:46 AM
Roof racks?

The JDM deflectors are also called mosoon rain deflectors due to the rainy season in Japan starting in the summer (I believe (Juneish)). Don't think it is monsoon levels but more like the PNW.

Vendetta
07/21/2011, 10:19 AM
Cup holders I might understand, but why hate on roof racks? I think a VX looks nekkid without one, actually.

tom4bren
07/21/2011, 10:22 AM
I'm just rattlin' yer respective cages. Although I don't like rain guards/wind deflectors, I don't hold it against you simple minded folks who do.

Heck, I have a set on the RV. In that case it was a necessity. 1-3 gallons of water can come rushing off the roof aimed directly for my left shoulder. The rain guards provide just enough extension to deflect it away.

As far as the monsoon season is concerned ... mine came equipped with these very nice transparent shields that can be elevated to keep all of the water out. I think they are called ... windows.

I don't have anything against roof racks ... it was more of a bash against the lack of availability. Some of my best friends have an awsome rack.

'sides, this thread was getting too serious ... needed some levity.

JAMAS
07/21/2011, 10:31 AM
As far as the monsoon season is concerned ... mine came equipped with these very nice transparent shields that can be elevated to keep all of the water out. I think they are called ... windows.

Are those custom?...Seem pretty fancy to me

JHarris1385
07/21/2011, 10:49 AM
If you look most cars have a JDM style deflector that is MUCH bigger, just like this one. Don't ask me, I have never lived over there.

If the VX was meant to have offset....well....just kidding.

Vendetta
07/21/2011, 11:25 AM
You can never have enough friends with awesome racks!

And back on topic... I got the wind deflectors in the empty hope they'd deflect wind. My AC wasn't charged up yet (remember, the ol' girl sat for three years, maybe longer), and I was suffering through the heat and humidity when I drove the VX instead of my "nicer" car. But having just gotten it back on the road, I'm all about driving the VX these days.

...with AC now.

tom4bren
07/21/2011, 11:59 AM
If the VX was meant to have offset....well....just kidding.

I have no response to that!!!

C'mon - like you didn't see that coming.:)

ron
07/21/2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks John for the input. Any measurements/pics you can provide would help. Also, I don't recall a metal bracket being used on my visors. Can you take a pics and dimensions of the part? Thanks in advance!

Couple of comments as an owner of original JDM visors.

2. They mount to the exterior via double-stick tape and a small metal bracket (I owned the WeatherTech previously and the installation was actually easier/cleaner).

3. The stick out quite a bit and can sometimes get in the way (I've also hit my head on the edge a few times).

Just wanted to provide some disclosure before Ron goes through all the effort to avoid any backlash. Ron - if you want some detailed measurements and photos let me know and I'll be happy to provide.
-- John