PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

crager34
03/12/2010, 12:33 PM
Just checking, cause I am a preventative maintenance kind of guy. Asked St. Charles Isuzu about a complete exhaust systme minus the muffler. $2700!!!

Local muffler place said he couldn't help me at all cause no one makes anything for it. Dealer item.

Wow!! Just wow.

JAMAS
03/12/2010, 12:49 PM
That sounds up to par with the cost for a new ABS module.

Mile High VX
03/12/2010, 01:05 PM
Or a full set of OEM shocks...

crager34
03/12/2010, 01:14 PM
So, Midas tells me in their professional opinion (second place I went to), to not worry so much about the complete system. They showed me a couple potential problem areas: flex tube behind the Cat and a connection on the pipe behind the muffler. All that and a new muffler $360. I'm good with that.

MSHardeman
03/12/2010, 01:28 PM
Darrin,

How is SoCar treating you? Are you the only VX around for hundreds of miles?

As for your exhaust issue (on the VX, not your personal exhaust issue); I thought that there where a few owners who have had a "custom" exhaust bent up for the VX and I don't remember it costing anywhere near $2700. I think Rickshaw had some work done on his undercarriage. Hopefully one of those guys will pipe up.....HA, get it!? "PIPE"? Like exhaust pipe?......Oh never mind......

deermagnet
03/12/2010, 01:32 PM
I think you got a good deal. It sounds like you found the right shop. I was in the same situation last month. I went to a small custom exhaust shop and asked for everything new and custom bent from beginning to end. He told me everything upstream of the Y looked great. I had the flex replaced a couple years ago. He gave me a nice quiet muffler, a custom bent stainless tailpipe, and a polished stainless tip for $345.

All of these franchise exhaust shops just wanna look up your vehicle in a book, bolt on the parts while you wait, get your money, and get you out the door. Any custom work is a pain to them. You have to look around and luck out with the right manager willing to think outside the book. A small shop where the owner does all the work and can custom build anything is a great way to go also.

Mark

Riff Raff
03/12/2010, 02:00 PM
Hopefully one of those guys will pipe up.....HA, get it!? "PIPE"?

Shhhhhhh, be very quiet when you say those kinda' words. You might get L-Bud all excited.:laughing:

JoFotoz
03/12/2010, 02:08 PM
OK..I'll "PIPE" up......:p

I have a custom dual exhaust..

Comprises :- single pipe from "cat" to single in/dual out Flowmaster Super 44
Diamond plate muffler.Dual outs to twin tail pipes...chrome tips.

All custom bent...cost about $650.

I second the "find an owner operator" exhaust place..that bends pipe on site.

jo

crager34
03/13/2010, 08:00 AM
South Carolina is treating me pretty good Mark.

The Midas shop actually did my exhaust themselves. Custom bending and all. Very cool.

Gussie2000
03/13/2010, 01:03 PM
I also have a custom exhaust & never cost me $ 2700.

I went trully dual with one pipe coming from each side & two mufflers dynomax super turbo

RallyDude
04/28/2010, 05:43 PM
Did you see much of a performance gain with the dual exhaust? I have a supercharger and was wondering if duals were worth it.

Gussie2000
04/28/2010, 09:17 PM
Did you see much of a performance gain with the dual exhaust? I have a supercharger and was wondering if duals were worth it.

As far as i can tell i like it,the flow is much better and engine run with less backpressure.

yellowgizmo99
04/29/2010, 05:08 AM
Gussie you have any shoots of the underside?

Gussie2000
04/29/2010, 06:33 PM
Gussie you have any shoots of the underside?

Yes i do,just go to my gallery...