PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice!

logman
03/12/2010, 11:05 AM
Here is the deal, I have a 1999 Ebony VX. I have about 126600 on it, and I have done all the maintenance (I had shims done, and all the timing components)

Yes.. it uses oil, but I am one with my VX, and I know when its using it, and when to check and add.

I owe 1800 on it still, and just ran into a VX (1999 Ironman, single owner) with a blown motor. It still runs, but the crank bearings are surely spun, and it should not be started until the engine is either replaced or re-built.

He wants 4000 for it, but I think I can get him down on the price. Personally I don't think its worth that (I know it will be atleast 3000+ for a replacement motor or rebuilt with labor).

I can get an 02 Axiom engine for 2000 and put it in myself (I have a hoist, and all the tools needed to do it).

What do you think a 1999 Ironman with a blown motor is worth? It is in Good condition, I am unsure about the miles but I will have that information soon. The owner takes good care of his vehicles, and it looks great all around. I thought it would be worth around 6 - 7k private party with a good motor, and I would subtract 3.5k for all the motor work a shop would have to do.

Would you pay 3000 - 3500 for a Ironman with a bad engine? Am I insane for wanting another VX? I love the white.., and I just have a feeling I might be passing up a good deal...

What say you?

JAMAS
03/12/2010, 11:08 AM
IMO...I would pay off the one you got now.

Then work on getting a project car.

That's just the adult in me....

....and the kid in me likes the frosting.

VX KAT
03/12/2010, 11:19 AM
A couple thoughts...

I've read one guy (blujfan9293) paid $4k for a VX with collision damage...can't recall if engine was blown, easily recovered that amount parting it out. But you got to consider all the work and effort to disassemble, package and ship stuff.

Another guy on here (iamironman I think) successfully put in an Axiom engine and eliminated his engine oil consumption problem.

Looks like you could go either way and still make out good.

rowhard
03/12/2010, 11:31 AM
Well, if you have the time, place to work, ALL the tools and knowledge to do a engine swap and you can handle the money issue, offer him 25 hundred and find a happy medium that you can both handle. But then I don't always make the best adult decisions:bwgy:

circmand
03/12/2010, 11:32 AM
Pay off the $1800 and of the remaining $4000 you are thinking of paying offer the seller $2200. If he says no wait and save what would have been your payments until you have enough to buy the project. A daily driver is worth making payments a project is not.

Riff Raff
03/12/2010, 11:46 AM
IMO...I would pay off the one you got now.

x2. Don't waste your time and money on a future "can of worms". Pay-off your existing loan; be happy you have no more debt, and then roll-on down the road with your paid-off VX. Never, never, make a purchase based upon emotions.:noo:

If your current VX ever dies someday, "then" search for another fully operational VX (perhaps in White or another color to your liking). Another option is sell your current VX after it's paid-off, and then buy a different VX in excellent fully operational condition.:bgwb:

rowhard
03/12/2010, 01:23 PM
see, I said I don't make the best adult decisions

logman
03/14/2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I already have too many projects, and honestly I've been giving a Toyota FJ Cruiser some thought for the future...

I think ill just cruise around in my paid off VX until it explodes, and then I will pick up and FJ manual, and get a supercharger :)

logman
03/14/2010, 02:14 PM
Oh, and if anyone else might be interested in the truck, it can be found at the below link.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1603552045.html

I talked to the guy, and he said he was driving long distance from GR to Traverse City and he ran it low on oil sometime mid Feb. He said there were metal shavings in the oil. He knows its not worth 4000 after talking to me, I bet he would take 2500 - 3000 with some more talking.

If anyone wants me to take pictures of it, or check it out, I know right where it is. I live about 45 minutes from it.

dietz99vcross
03/14/2010, 02:28 PM
Not sure if this qualifies as hijacking or not, so here goes.

I happen to live within an hour of this vehicle. I have a 99 ebony with 135,000 miles and no major issues. $4000 seems steep, but what would be a reasonable amount to pay for this and park it in the garage for the parts that I need down the road? I was thinking about this exact thing the other day, as may steering wheel is getting pretty nasty, and some other small pieces could be swapped out. Hey it even has a rack I could sell to VXKat.

Riff Raff
03/14/2010, 03:32 PM
Hey it even has a rack I could sell to VXKat.

Nah. "VX-KAT" already has a nice rack!!!:laughing::rotate::laughing:

handeeman
03/15/2010, 07:00 AM
Not sure if this qualifies as hijacking or not, so here goes.

I happen to live within an hour of this vehicle. I have a 99 ebony with 135,000 miles and no major issues. $4000 seems steep, but what would be a reasonable amount to pay for this and park it in the garage for the parts that I need down the road? I was thinking about this exact thing the other day, as may steering wheel is getting pretty nasty, and some other small pieces could be swapped out. Hey it even has a rack I could sell to VXKat.

Boy, talk about a rookie at hijacking (thread jacking). You ought to take some lessons from a few of the "Pro's" around here...whose name I shall
4go from mentioning.
In all seriousness, if I could buy this unit for 2/2500. I'd buy it in a minute. We'll actually it would take a few years to save that much cash but it is worth it IMHO.