PDA

View Full Version : Replacement front seat belts from Ebay

Marlin
03/10/2010, 12:46 PM
I may not be the queen of Ebay, but I buy a lot of junk off of there. I recently purchased a set of the Ebay VX seat belts. I learned a few things.
1. You need a torx45 or 50, I don't remember, to remove the top bolt. I got a full socket torx set all the way up to 60 for 11 bucks at Northern Tool.
2. The replacements will eliminate your ability to raise and lower the top seat belt anchor.
3. Removing the rear side panel to get to the retractor is a gigantic PITA
4. You have to make a few cuts in the plastic seat belt insert where it goes behind the panel to slip the new seatbelt into the plastic retainer, no biggie, just cut it somewhere inconspicuous. I went aft so it can't be seen from the front. I wouldn't cut the bottom, the belt will rub and could pull the insert out.
5. If you are a "free spirit" and drive without a seatbelt. If you want to get rid of the warning light, there is a small two wire harness at the base of the buckle receptacle. Disconnect it and no more light. The replacement does not have the wiring anyway, so I was prepared to short the two together to make it go away.
6. The replacement retractor housing is different than ours and only bolts in one place, but it does fit just fine.

Other than that, it took about 1 hour to do the driver's side. No problems and no more slamming the buckle in the door!!!! Hope this helps for those thinking of replacing their lazy old retractors.

Ascinder
03/10/2010, 01:03 PM
You forgot to add that the lower seatbelt mount being held in place with a giant philips head screw was the stupidest ISUZU design decision ever. They must have welded those things from the back because mine are now totally &^$*%$ed from trying to remove them.

Marlin
03/10/2010, 02:07 PM
You forgot to add that the lower seatbelt mount being held in place with a giant philips head screw was the stupidest ISUZU design decision ever. They must have welded those things from the back because mine are now totally &^$*%$ed from trying to remove them.

True true, I haven't done the passenger side yet, but I just stopped trying to use the #2 phillips and went one bigger. Put it on a socket, and voila, came out. I think it was locktite holding it. I forgot to mention that. The new retractor doesn't utilize that mounting hole, so no reinstalling that stupid part. The replacement was all 14mm bolts, nice to have them all be the same for future access. I may swap my seats this weekend and fab up a passenger side forward slide extension. I am installing the lockers and hubs and new cvs this sat AM. I figure I should be done with that by 2 or 3 pm. Seats will be sun, still gotta wire up the wife's new CB and her new digital rear view mirror isn't getting power. I think it is in the scotchlock connector. That tiny 26ga wire probably isn't making connection. Only a few more weeks till Spring Uwharrie meet!!!! Look forward to new pics from that. I will take the VX up Kodak rock and be the first to have pics of a vehicle they all say can't do it, CV joints be damned.:):bgwb: