PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota convoy

BigSwede
03/09/2010, 12:16 PM
Leaving Saturday morning May 8th from Minneapolis, via Des Moines, Omaha, and Denver...just me and I assume Greg so far, join us! :grino:

orion
03/09/2010, 06:23 PM
You assume correctly :clap:

Ldub
03/10/2010, 04:07 AM
Us older fellas can't handle the mind bending traffic of the Denver area, otherwise we would join up with your merry little caravan...:yes:

We'll take the long way around & see you there.:yesgray:

BigSwede
03/10/2010, 06:09 AM
Sounds good, us young whippersnappers will take our chances... :supercool

Actually the traffic isn't that bad when we get to Denver, around 9PM Saturday night. But going through the Rockies can be stressful I know. That's why I like to hit the mountains fresh in the morning...

Hi Greg, is the Hook ready?

MSHardeman
03/10/2010, 08:00 AM
Houston we have a problem.

http://blogs.westword.com/ontheedge/2010/03/rock_slide_in_glenwood_canyon.php

We had a little rock slide here in Glenwood Canyon a couple of days ago that has shut I-70 down "indefinitely". The rocks, the largest weighing 66 tons, fell from high up on the cliff and punched some massive holes in the roadway. One of them is still sitting on the upper deck and CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) is trying to figure the best way to get it removed. They are probably going to blow it up into smaller pieces and then just shove those over the side. The big problem is that there is another 66+ ton rock tetering on the cliff above that CDOT is looking at prying loose, or blowing up so it falls and does whatever damage it's going to do so they can repair the road once.

I would have to think that they'll have the highway repaired by May, but who knows. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if you have to find an alternate route.

BigSwede
03/10/2010, 08:20 AM
Wow, we'll have to keep an eye on that, thanks!

I always thought that stretch of elevated roadway must be a maintenance nightmare...

MSHardeman
03/10/2010, 11:19 AM
This actually happened a few years ago right around Thanksgiving. A HUGE boulder let go from way up high on the canyon wall, punched right through the upper deck, bounced off the lower roadway and ended up in the Colorado River. The highway department got traffic flowing through the canyon again fairly quickly, but it took them a while to repair the road and get it fully operational. I think it's going to take a little more time this go round because I think the boulders destroyed both the upper and lower roadways.

I'll keep you up to date as things progress.

VXorado
03/11/2010, 06:42 AM
Houston we have a problem.

http://blogs.westword.com/ontheedge/2010/03/rock_slide_in_glenwood_canyon.php

We had a little rock slide here in Glenwood Canyon a couple of days ago that has shut I-70 down "indefinitely". The rocks, the largest weighing 66 tons, fell from high up on the cliff and punched some massive holes in the roadway. One of them is still sitting on the upper deck and CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) is trying to figure the best way to get it removed. They are probably going to blow it up into smaller pieces and then just shove those over the side. The big problem is that there is another 66+ ton rock tetering on the cliff above that CDOT is looking at prying loose, or blowing up so it falls and does whatever damage it's going to do so they can repair the road once.

I would have to think that they'll have the highway repaired by May, but who knows. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if you have to find an alternate route.

Its crazy, I had planned on getting a new magnaflow exhaust welded in Glenwood Springs on mon-tues but the rockslide blocked me. No way I'm going 4-5 hrs around the interstate. On the + side, one side of the interstate will be opened today allowing east/west bound traffic.

Maybe i'll join the convey once you guys go through the Vail Valley

BigSwede
03/11/2010, 11:11 AM
Maybe i'll join the convey once you guys go through the Vail Valley
Cool, we usually overnight in Denver and hit the Rockies Sunday morning.

VXorado
03/12/2010, 05:02 PM
That could work, are you planning on getting to moab Sunday?

BigSwede
03/13/2010, 07:32 AM
That's the plan. I usually do some hiking or something touristy on Monday as people filter into town. Then of course the VX run on Tuesday, and trail runs the rest of the week.

Mile High VX
03/13/2010, 08:41 AM
You guys let me know about what time you're getting to town and I'll come and meet up with you in Denver.

Can't make Moab this year due to work, but I'd love to meet you guys.

BigSwede
03/13/2010, 05:49 PM
We are pretty beat when we arrive Saturday night after driving 13-14 hours (well I am anyway), but you could meet us at the Dennys at I-70 and Kipling for breakfast Sunday morning...I usually stay at the Motel 6 next door.

Mile High VX
03/13/2010, 05:58 PM
That just might work, depending on the time.

I'll try and get some of the other local VX'ers to join up as well.

pbkid
03/13/2010, 11:02 PM
ill definately be joining the convoy and bringing up the tail end due to the toyotaness. (plus if someone pulls off i know my way through the mountains really well, so i can stick with them)

expect to see me at 8am?

wow mark, i heard there was a rockslide but i had no idea it was that bad. I-70 is a pretty major route across the US so i assume they will clear it up and get it running again very soon.

cant wait to see the fam :thumbup:

Mile High VX
03/14/2010, 09:57 AM
Currently one lane is open in each direction, so the 100+ mile detour is exchanged for some slow going.

They have started repairs, at the cost of $860K, and hope to be done in a few months...

BigSwede
03/15/2010, 07:51 AM
expect to see me at 8am?
I dunno...maybe more like 9AM...I'm a night person, and on vacation :bgwb:

BigSwede
05/07/2010, 06:51 AM
Alrighty then, Greg and I will be heading out in tomorrow morning, fleeing the predicted snow on the ground here tonight for the sunny desert! See you all in a few days!

Scott Larson
05/07/2010, 11:10 AM
Best of luck gents, drive it careful and have a blast, not only for yourselves but also for those of us not attending! By the way, it's snowing like a mo-fo in Northern Minnesnowta!! The desert sounds REALLY good right now...