PDA

View Full Version : This Place kicks ***

p_justin13
03/09/2010, 11:02 AM
I was just about to post that my vx now almost problem free after 3 weeks of work after purchasing it and about an additional 2k invested was burning oil in a bad way. Thanks to forum, I see this is a common thing. Almost caught it to late however. Noticed at 2500 miles after oil change that there was black build up on eshaust tip immediatly checked oil to see I was almost a full three quarts low. Guess I should read more on here before I freak out. On up side think purrs like a kitten and is fun as hell to drive just installed new sound system, Shocks all around, new rubber, fog lights, any one have a line on any complany that make a sigle din cup holder setup for the space where the old cd changer was I hate the pockets and need a spot for my beer I mean soda when I'm back in the woods on my property lol again love this place

Moncha
03/09/2010, 11:21 AM
Well, thank you kindly for the words! made my day!

samneil2000
03/09/2010, 11:38 AM
...any one have a line on any complany that make a sigle din cup holder setup for the space where the old cd changer was I hate the pockets and need a spot for my beer I mean soda when I'm back in the woods on my property lol again love this place

Search ebay for a Taurus style single DIN cup holder. You'll most likely find some there. I think I picked one up for 10 bucks. It isn't the best though, since it's a bit too close to the dash the way it is recessed in. I remember one member here modified his to stick out further, making it more useful. I'll probably try to do something similar myself.

MSHardeman
03/09/2010, 11:38 AM
Congrats on getting the VX "up to snuff", and yes, keep a close eye on your oil consumption. I check my oil, and usually have to add some, at EVERY gas fill up. Some people have had some luck reducing their oil consumption by cleaning the EGR valve and changing the PCV often (+/- every other oil change).

There are a couple of people here who have installed a cup holder in the spot that you are talking about. I THINK it's a Taurus cup holder, but I can't remember the year. Someone had a few that he was selling so hopefully someone will chime in.

Mile High VX
03/09/2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10512&highlight=taurus+cup+holder

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15366&highlight=taurus+cup+holder

I have this in my VX and it's usable, but not perfect. As stated above, it just sits a bit close to the angle of the dash to really fit down in the holder. The one on the passenger side is pretty good.

p_justin13
03/09/2010, 11:59 AM
I found one company that makes an awesome cup holder setup in australlia but there is no contact info on the site to get ahold of them I'll give the taurus one a shot cheap solution for now I guess lol

VX KAT
03/09/2010, 12:45 PM
I bought the Euro Junior for my VX..although I still haven't installed it..:mbrasd: my bad!

Think I paid about $15 or so for it. Can't recall from where, let me know if you want more info.
Here's some pics from "Cobrajet" that has it installed. Just another cup holder option for ya to consider....
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/cupholder31.jpg[/url]
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/cupholder11.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16972)

I also bought this one and it works really good! I needed 2 cup holders anyway, so it's perfect. Completely out of the way of my right leg when driving. It's intended for a BMW, but I just measured the tunnel and called the guy and he directed me to which model would work best in the VX.
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

VXorado
03/09/2010, 12:59 PM
I agree with you about this site being extremely helpful, especially when you're knew to the VX. I recently picked up the taurus cup holder and its not perfect but better than nothing. Its the cheapest cupholder option, mine cost $2.50 at U pull and Pay. Like everyone else said, you may want to consider other options depending on how much you'll use it.

p_justin13
03/09/2010, 02:33 PM
[Never mind found one! ebay strikes again United Kingdom I thank you
Alright last two question for anyone out there.
1. Anyone have issus with the backlighting on there climate control unit going on and off majority of the time stays off
2. the damn doors locking when slamming either of the doors, found to be really annoying here in the midwest when warming up car while scraping off windows mother f@@cker was said more than once this winter

Cup Holder

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIN-Car-Carbon-Fibre-Double-Drink-Cup-Holder-DVD-IPod_W0QQitemZ230442545841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item35a77232 b1

deermagnet
03/09/2010, 03:07 PM
I've been using the Euro Jr. cup holder for many years and still love it. They have 'em at Pep Boys and Walmart. It's adjustable and lockable. I drilled a hole and used a bolt with a double nut, so it stays tight in place.

An old film photo from my archives-
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag/131.jpg

Mark

PK
03/09/2010, 03:27 PM
I found one company that makes an awesome cup holder setup in australlia but there is no contact info on the site to get ahold of them I'll give the taurus one a shot cheap solution for now I guess lol

Send me the details if you like (internet address etc).
I can be a bit of a blood hound for a good cause.

PK

p_justin13
03/09/2010, 03:48 PM
The exact model I was looking for that I had found in Australia I just found on ebay from a company in the UK, have one shipping as we speak there are more at this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIN-Car-Carbon-Fibre-Double-Drink-Cup-Holder-DVD-IPod_W0QQitemZ230442545841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item35a77232 b1

carbon fiber covering my whole dash so it fits in very nice
It was a bit pricier at around 49us shipped but not bad comming from the uk

VX KAT
03/09/2010, 05:32 PM
I've been using the Euro Jr. cup holder for many years and still love it. They have 'em at Pep Boys and Walmart. It's adjustable and lockable. I drilled a hole and used a bolt with a double nut, so it stays tight in place.

An old film photo from my archives-
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag/131.jpg

Mark

Mark- Did you have to file/dremel down your Euro Jr. on the one edge to get it to fit in the square hole?

deermagnet
03/09/2010, 06:26 PM
Mark- Did you have to file/dremel down your Euro Jr. on the one edge to get it to fit in the square hole?

No, I didn't have to mod it at all. We're goin' back like eight years here, so today's model could be slightly different. If ya wanna do the bolt 'n nut deal, ya have to remove the console. The sticky-back velcro along with a sheet metal screw should suffice. I tend to do my own thing which sometimes goes a little overboard.

Mark

johnnyapollo
03/10/2010, 04:15 AM
That cup holder from the UK looks similar to the first one I tried - after install I couldn't get anything to fit in there - the pockets for the drinks are too close to the surface when extended. That's why I went to a Taurus version - it extends a bit before the pockets. However it still didn't allow for much - why I extended the entire unit from the surface of the dash (see the second forum link posted above).

-- John

crotchrocket
03/10/2010, 07:10 AM
I just use a universal holder that attaches to the air blower grill slots between the steering wheel and door. Works perfect! (also keeps your drink hot in the winter and cool in the summer ;) )

handeeman
03/10/2010, 09:10 AM
I just use a universal holder that attaches to the air blower grill slots between the steering wheel and door. Works perfect! (also keeps your drink hot in the winter and cool in the summer ;) )

My question is: How does it know ?

Must be a microchip or something, better hope it never messes up and starts keeping hot stuff cold or cold stuff hot. Also is it a wireless cupholder ?

p_justin13
03/11/2010, 06:09 AM
To johnny apollo, were did you get the carbon hood insert? I love the way the thing looks? Custom made or production from somewhere?

johnnyapollo
03/11/2010, 07:58 AM
There was a guy making them - I think about 10-15 were made, along with some prototypes like a complete hood - he went by CF1 but he's no longer in business I don't believe. The scoop is modeled from an earlier iteration WRX.

-- John

LittleBeast
03/11/2010, 10:15 AM
My question is: How does it know ?

Must be a microchip or something, better hope it never messes up and starts keeping hot stuff cold or cold stuff hot. Also is it a wireless cupholder ?

Haha, please tell me you are kidding?

Wireless?

It is connected to the A/C vents so in the winter when you have hot chocolate you would have the heater on and hence the A/C vent behind it will have heat coming out of it, and in the summer when you have a lemonade in the cup holder on the air vent it will have cold A/C air coming out behind it thus keeping it cool.....

Haha, I hope you were kidding ;)

handeeman
03/11/2010, 01:12 PM
Haha, please tell me you are kidding?

Wireless?

It is connected to the A/C vents so in the winter when you have hot chocolate you would have the heater on and hence the A/C vent behind it will have heat coming out of it, and in the summer when you have a lemonade in the cup holder on the air vent it will have cold A/C air coming out behind it thus keeping it cool.....

Haha, I hope you were kidding ;)

Nope completely serious...That's why I always thought the Thermos Jug was the greatest invention in the world. It keeps hot stuff hot....and cold stuff cold.....how does it know?

LittleBeast
03/11/2010, 01:27 PM
It keeps hot stuff hot....and cold stuff cold.....how does it know?

Haha, that is just how insulation works..... My attic does the same thing, must be aliens up there telling the insulation when to keep things hot and when to keep things cool..... HAHA ;)

crotchrocket
03/12/2010, 08:01 AM
Nope completely serious...That's why I always thought the Thermos Jug was the greatest invention in the world. It keeps hot stuff hot....and cold stuff cold.....how does it know?

yep, its a wireless one, i have a controller which is located on the centre console with a turn dial, nice and simple just an H to the left for hot and a C on the right for cold. Looks a bit like a household thermostat :D