PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying this gas saver (another rare isuzu)

slutty22
03/04/2010, 04:08 PM
So the vehicross is not the gas saver I had in mind I have been randomly searching craigslist and came across this tonight

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1628310260.html

what do you guys and gals think.

VXorado
03/04/2010, 04:13 PM
I've heard these are cool little cars. If its not in horrible condition and you can really scrap it for $350, there not much to lose. I'm guessing it has mechanical issues and thats why the key is "lost"

AK Falco
03/04/2010, 04:14 PM
not a bad price, but dose it run????

Knivx
03/04/2010, 04:26 PM
An Impulse would be cooler but this is definitely better than an I-mark IMHO. Go for it!:yesb:

slutty22
03/04/2010, 04:36 PM
lol, just emailed the guy to see If I could come take a look at it, well see if tis worht it, no key= no prob. I can hot wire a care, but if it hasent ran in 3 years I am concerned for mechanical issues, I will proably go against my better judgment here and buy the car regardless

slutty22
03/04/2010, 04:48 PM
An Impulse would be cooler but this is definitely better than an I-mark IMHO. Go for it!:yesb:

I Remeber the impulses, pretty cool, werent they the same base as a geo storm? I remember a kid in the 90's in high school had an impulse all white.

slutty22
03/04/2010, 04:50 PM
well not to worry it was sold,.............the search continues

tjh
03/04/2010, 05:09 PM
What was it ?

tjh
03/04/2010, 05:10 PM
Check out the Lotus M100 Elan 1989 -1995 it has an isuzu drive train .

Knivx
03/04/2010, 06:12 PM
I Remeber the impulses, pretty cool, werent they the same base as a geo storm? I remember a kid in the 90's in high school had an impulse all white.

The first impulse's were they're own car, rear wheel drive, optional turbo. Cool little cars. Then they changed platforms and shared it with the Geo Storm, front wheel drive though you could get the impulse in AWD with a turbo, plus the impulse's looked better than the storm's in my opinion.

IIRC the Impulse RS with the AWD and turbo were more rare in the states than the VX.

LittleBeast
03/04/2010, 10:22 PM
The first impulse's were they're own car, rear wheel drive, optional turbo. Cool little cars. Then they changed platforms and shared it with the Geo Storm, front wheel drive though you could get the impulse in AWD with a turbo, plus the impulse's looked better than the storm's in my opinion.

IIRC the Impulse RS with the AWD and turbo were more rare in the states than the VX.

Random fact: the impluse turbo RWD had the same Isuzu 12 bolt differential in the rear of the car that the VX has on the front. But the Impulse had a Limited Slip inside and our fronts are open.....

So..... you could actually find a RWD impulse turbo and get the 3rd member (differential) and take the Limited Slip member out and put it in our housing with our gears and presto change O - Limited Slip front wheel drive VX :)

samneil2000
03/05/2010, 08:02 AM
Random fact: the impluse turbo RWD had the same Isuzu 12 bolt differential in the rear of the car that the VX has on the front. But the Impulse had a Limited Slip inside and our fronts are open.....

So..... you could actually find a RWD impulse turbo and get the 3rd member (differential) and take the Limited Slip member out and put it in our housing with our gears and presto change O - Limited Slip front wheel drive VX :)

That would be awesome! Too bad it is probably impossible to find.

SlowPro48
03/05/2010, 10:00 AM

Dude would this actually work? What would it do to the steering/handling to have LSD in front? Seems like this would be more practical for those who are looking for a little more traction in sketchy situations but not wanting to go the full monty with a locker - and much easier on the CV joints than a locker too!

BigSwede
03/05/2010, 11:06 AM

Actually it is a rear 10-bolt...

Knivx
03/05/2010, 01:49 PM
There is a RWD turbo impulse in a junkyard here. I'll have to price the diff. Priced the whole car a couple months ago and they wanted like 400 for it. Seemed pretty complete. Not sure what sent it there though.

LittleBeast
03/05/2010, 03:18 PM
Actually it is a rear 10-bolt...

Yeah that is right, sorry I missed typed it :) it has been a while since I actually stopped trying to find one:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15347&highlight=4.78

My quote from that old thread:
"Our Isuzu Corp 10-bolt front shares same carrier and carrier bearings with 10-bolt rear (has thinner ring gear than 10-bolt rear pinion) and shares same pinion bearings with 10-bolt rear, and it is most common for the 10-bolt to be open however, the LSD from rear drive turbo Impulse, could be used in 10-bolt front."

The website that lists all this info is found here:
http://www.zu4x.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

And here is most of the useful info from that site listed together for anyone that might need it in the future:
http://www.zu4x.com/modules.php?name=Content