PDA

View Full Version : Any alternatives to Kilby skid plates?

DannyDigital
03/03/2010, 06:19 PM
My motor is covered in mud. The guy on here that was making them won't make one for me :(

Kilby is too expensive and I don't think I really need anything that hardcore. I just have a few mud pits around my house.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/DannyDigital/IMG_3453.jpg

vt_maverick
03/03/2010, 10:11 PM
You could hunt down some Trooper skid plates from a local yard. Do a search on the site and you'll find lots of pics + instructions. Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Riff Raff
03/03/2010, 11:40 PM
Yes, the KILBY website says $800 per set. However; I believe we member's here at Vehicross.Info have a "standing discount" of $650 (raw bare metal) or $700 (black powder-coat), plus P&H to your zip code "IF" you mention you're a member of this blog/forum.

Send an E-Mail to "LORENA" (Kilby Secretary) at their website for further information and discount pricing. Yes, the KILBY will keep most of that watery mud out of your engine compartment since it is a true "belly pan" design. You get what you pay for. Start saving your pennies now, so you'll be happy later.:bgwb:

Triathlete
03/04/2010, 12:02 PM
Or you can hit up any local 4x4 fabrication shop and have them whip up whatever you need.

Moncha
03/04/2010, 09:12 PM
I have a full length skid plate produced by Tone when he was of this world. Problem is, it's HEAVY!!!! it's 3/8" diamond plate steel and bolts directly up, has oil holes for drain and filter.

I'm in Colorado and you're in Florida, unless you were happening to be going to Moab where I could bolt it on and bring it out then do a swap to yours, shipping would be crazy!

I can post some photos if you want to see a better shot, I only put it on when needed. I'd have to figure cost and shipping or cost w/o shipping, just depends of if you're interested.

VX KAT
03/04/2010, 10:44 PM
I have a full length skid plate produced by Tone when he was of this world. Problem is, it's HEAVY!!!! it's 3/8" diamond plate steel and bolts directly up, has oil holes for drain and filter.

I'm in Colorado and you're in Florida, unless you were happening to be going to Moab where I could bolt it on and bring it out then do a swap to yours, shipping would be crazy!

I can post some photos if you want to see a better shot, I only put it on when needed. I'd have to figure cost and shipping or cost w/o shipping, just depends of if you're interested.

Don't forget to consider Greyhound Bus shipping for heavy, big items. I shipped my 65 lb back seat to Osteomata in FL, from AZ for about $76, FedEx and UPS were both around $225. I had never even heard of Greyhound shipping until somebody on here mentioned it (gasmask maybe?)

I bought a large wardrobe box from U-Haul (all measurements are on their website) for about $12, seat fit in perfectly. I dropped it off at a Greyhound bus terminal, and Os picked it up at the GH terminal near him, took about 5 days. If the skid isn't one long giant piece, I think it might fit in one of the U-Haul boxes. I believe GH had a 100 lb limit per box, so it may have to be sent in 2 boxes. Just FYI.