PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Had Experience With ' Nene Overland' ?

crotchrocket
03/01/2010, 07:19 AM
I've been looking into a place to get some work done on the VX, these guys seam good,

http://neneoverland.co.uk/

Im looking for a majour service including brake fluid, transmition and diff fluids etc..... plus some other issues with the loose steering and air con clutch bearing.

They want £400 + VAT for the majour service, how does that sound. I have never had to get anything serviced before, lol. I just dont have the space or time to carry the service out. Its a fair way to go to get it done but it's worth doing things properly. Whilst its there for the service they will look into the other issues and give me a costs subject to part availabilities.

What do you recon??

edit*
list of issus might help, this is what i said to them

.Full service, Inc front and rear diff + gearbox oil changes, fuel filter etc.
.Something is loose in the steering, it’s wondering a lot and the steering wheel gets pulled around by bumps in the road etc. As well as a dodgy ball joint It may need the tracking / camber looked at. There are some shims on the upper front A arms that either need removing or adding too to correct the camber after lifting (the VX is lifted 3”) can’t remember which way around it is (I have a .pdf of the full workshop manual)
.Front CV joints are crunching a bit on lock when in 4WD (maybe I need to lower the suspension down a bit again as CV joints have quite a steep angle)
.AC Compressor bearings is completely dead and possibly the main front bearing on the engine (cant remember name) where the fan belt attaches too. I’ve put a new idler pulley, tensioner pulley and belt on it but these are more involved.
.It’s fuel economy has dropped a bit and there’s a smell of fuel in the exhaust fumes (especially when the condensation is steaming out in the cold mornings) Do you think the service would resolve this over fuelling? Or maybe a tune up?
.There’s a fairly heavy clunk in the drive train when the box drops down from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. I keep the prop UJ’s greased up but would worry where its coming from.
.Lower ball joints on the front end need replacing (I replaced the upper ones in November)

alanbradley
03/01/2010, 01:43 PM
I know of them but have never used them - they certainly seem to have a good reputation for prepping stuff for overland expeditions.

£400 + VAT does seem a bit on the steep side though and they do seem to be a bit far from yours. Have they ever looked at at VX before? Its a bit different from the landys they're more closely associated with.

Personally I'd ask Nick if he knows anywhere (or anyone) closer to you. Even Frogs Island are just up the M40 at Abingdon and they regularly prep' Land Cruisers and Patrols (Long Way Down...).

I'm lucky that I have a bit of space and don't need to use mine every day - how long are they saying it will take?

G'luck,

A

alterastro
03/01/2010, 03:17 PM
You have a PM James :o

VX-157
03/01/2010, 03:21 PM
Sounds like your getting a bit of work down mr rocket. I hope that it all works out for you. :yesy:

Nothing worse then sitting at your desk / home whilst your pride and joy is at the shop....thinking of those machanics with their dirty hands going who knows where....makes me shudder....;oob;

(my vx is in the shop today. they are pulling out the transfer case and opening it up.....)

crotchrocket
03/04/2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the help guys, and thanks Nick for the offer. Have decided to give them a go so going to drive over there next saturday......i just hope i dont walk out having bought something stupid like a diff lock, roll cage or even the 4l V8 jeep they have lol

Woodsman
03/04/2010, 09:44 AM
Think Nene were selling a red VX a few years ago (& expensive too). But that at least means they know our trucks do exist! Lots of luck.

Mike

crotchrocket
03/04/2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks woods man! Get your name down on the UK members list and i'll PM you when we arange a meet!!!

Woodsman
03/05/2010, 10:16 AM
Hi, probably got a couple of weekends free before October. Life is busy! Am flying out to India on Sunday for a month. Will make contact later.

Mike

crotchrocket
03/16/2010, 02:02 AM
I took it over on Saturday, looks like a really good setup they have there and LOADS of landy's. Theres quite a few for sale with all the travelling goodies and body protection etc. They seamed quite impressed with the VX and hopefully they wont take all my money away fixing it. I saw this there and thought it was pretty cool! It has a Range Rover 3.9V8 and auto box with arb dif locks front and rear :D :D :D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG00264.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG00265.jpg

alterastro
03/16/2010, 03:53 AM
Very Nice!

Did you find out how much they wanted????

So what are you having done in the end?

N

crotchrocket
03/16/2010, 04:16 AM
Very Nice!

Did you find out how much they wanted????

So what are you having done in the end?

N

For the Jeep? It's £7,995

For the service, its £400 but not sure about the other bits, awaiting their call with a cost :freek: its driver CV, possibly the front end camber, air con compressor bearings, loose steering.

ZEUS
03/16/2010, 07:31 AM
That's a VERY interesting find. Have another look at it and I guarantee you will find that is a fiberglass Jeep body replica on a Landy chassis.

EDIT: HAHA! I just realized the license plate reads Range Rover Jeep!
I took it over on Saturday, looks like a really good setup they have there and LOADS of landy's. Theres quite a few for sale with all the travelling goodies and body protection etc. They seamed quite impressed with the VX and hopefully they wont take all my money away fixing it. I saw this there and thought it was pretty cool! It has a Range Rover 3.9V8 and auto box with arb dif locks front and rear :D :D :D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG00264.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/IMG00265.jpg

crotchrocket
03/18/2010, 08:38 AM
Well they have been a little slow but reported that the VX is in good mechanical condition all round, they will finish the service today and let me know on the CV joint

crotchrocket
03/18/2010, 09:23 AM
Hey ZEUS

Heres some info http://www.neneoverland.co.uk/4x4expedition_offroad/4x4expedition_offroadRRJEEP.htm

ZEUS
03/18/2010, 11:11 AM
Hey ZEUS

Heres some info http://www.neneoverland.co.uk/4x4expedition_offroad/4x4expedition_offroadRRJEEP.htm
WOW! That thing is immaculate! I would have a hard time walking away from that... of course I would have a hard time coming up with $14000 for it too. :( Thank you for the link; it's an extremely unique creation my Jeep buds will get a kick out of!

alterastro
03/18/2010, 11:29 AM
Come on James..... I can't believe you've taken it all the way to Nene, just for a service! Whats really going on????? Roof tent? Roll Cage? Winch bumper? Pull out double bed? Rock sliders? 12" lift????

C'mon fess up!!!

:bwgy: Nick ;)

alanbradley
03/18/2010, 01:56 PM
It's the pop-up camper roof with double bed that's going to put us to shame in August, Nick...

A

crotchrocket
03/18/2010, 03:02 PM
lol, nope it really is just getting serviced. Fed up with the tube i can tell you that!!! and Zeus, i AM having trouble walking away :(