PDA

View Full Version : Softer springs?

PeteVX
02/25/2010, 06:29 PM
im on my second VX, a 99 ironman with 120,000 miles.

On my last one, i changed to rancho 9000's and cut down the bump stops, better but still too harsh so after about a year and a half i couldnt take it anymore and sold it.

After 4 years off, i had to buy another, 4 months in, the honeymoon's over and the ride is killing me again, i need softer springs.

Does anyone know what else fits the VX, amigo, axiom or trooper springs maybe? They have to be softer than the VX's. I dont just want to swap out the shocks this time.

Pete

WormGod
02/26/2010, 07:19 AM
Man, a glutton for punishment. :p

I think your best bet would be to get some springs wrapped for you. I think anything on the market "assumes" you are already comfortable with how it already rides, give or take. *shrug*

tom4bren
02/26/2010, 09:16 AM
Ya may wanna read this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15476

Even if it doesn't answer your questions, it'll point you to some good sources.

Ldub
02/26/2010, 11:36 AM
IMO...softer shocks are going to yield a higher net gain, probably for the same, or less $ than new springs.

SlowPro48
02/26/2010, 03:20 PM
I just wonder if installing softer shocks and springs - especially if they are progressive rate springs - would make the situation worse. We don't have that much suspension travel. Progressive springs like the stock and the OME 912 & 913 allow you to blow through too much stroke initially and then you've only got a few inches of travel at the firm rate before you hit the bump stops. Trimming the bump stops will give you a little more travel - but then there's less cushion effect when you do hit them.

I don't know what the rates are for the stock springs but according the Rickshaw thread Tom posted the OMEs are 180 lb/in rising to 300 lb/in. Have you ever considered trying some straight rate springs in the 240 lb/inch range? The ride would be firmer but there would be less of that harsh "slamming."

I don't mind the firm ride of the VX but I hate the slamming that results from bottoming out the suspension. I can always tell when my shocks are getting soft and need nitrogen. There's a fairly big set of braking bumps at a stoplight on my way to work. I've hit them at the same speed four or five days a week for years. (gotta love coordinated lights!) Normally the VX handles them with aplomb - very compliant - firm yet not harsh. But when the shocks get too soft, the suspension blows through the stroke, bottoms out and it's a slamfest. I add N2 to firm things back up and all is well with the VX and my weak old back.

Sometimes more firm = less harsh.

PeteVX
03/01/2010, 11:56 AM
That was a great summary of the OME 912/3's but looks like they are both for lifts and i dont want to change my ride height.

Worm, what deas getting springs 'wrapped' mean? making new ones? sounds spendy.

Does anyone know if any of the other isuzu springs are compatibe or what the rates are?

I have a feeling i might get shot down in flames for this one but what about airbag kits? do they replace the springs or just supplement them?

Pete

VXorado
03/01/2010, 01:48 PM
I have a feeling i might get shot down in flames for this one but what about airbag kits? do they replace the springs or just supplement them?

Pete

The kits I have seen go inside the coil spring and are made to adjust height. With airbags you would get a harsher ride because they would allow very little flex in the springs when inflated.

Try different shocks first and not the rancho 9000s you had before because even though they are adjustable, they are known for being stiffer shocks.

I dont think you could ever get the VX to ride much smoother (like a car) because of the suspension design and the wheel base. The VX's short wheelbase causes you to feel every bump because you are sitting very close to the rear axle. It doesn't really bother me but I do notice the bumpy ride on worn out roads. I also have stiffer springs (OME 919s) and havent noticed worsened ride quality over the stock springs but I have been able to take turns much faster with less body roll :bwgy:

BigSwede
03/01/2010, 02:06 PM
Anybody ever look into Trooper springs, they are known for being pretty soft (on a Trooper anyway), and should fit.

Also, I *think* OME 913s are zero-lift springs, not sure though. Indy4x could tell you.

WormGod
03/02/2010, 06:51 AM
Yes, custom springs. It is a bit pricey but that's the price we pay for comfort I guess. ;)

Viatcheslav
03/02/2010, 07:06 AM
I use springs and shoks (tokico) from europian trooper it has i just cut one coil.

PeteVX
03/09/2010, 10:40 AM
Last night i installed Gabriel ultra shocks all round, cut down the rear bump stops and discovered that my tire pressures were at 36 instead of 29.

Not sure how much was the tires but its much better now, much more civilized. Not quite as planted going round corners but definitely worth the trade off. I didnt spill my coffee once this morning on the drive into work!!!

Im still going to look into different springs when i can if i can find out whats the same size, id be willing to just try changing them to see.

Pete

johnnyapollo
03/10/2010, 04:39 AM
I've run my tired both at nominal pressure (29) and high pressure (45) and found that the ride doesn't feel that different - only "bounce-ier" (and louder!) - however the 1-2 MPG that I gain from high inflation is well worth it to me, especially when going any long highway distances.

-- John