PDA

View Full Version : VX in April 2010 issue of Car and Driver

dietz99vcross
02/24/2010, 06:47 PM
Not a very nice piece but still making the news. On page 30 they have a small article about "Concepts we wish were never built" It mentions the Pontiac Aztek and shows the Solstice Coupe and the Vehicross. About the concept vx "Upon its 1993 debut at the Tokyo auto show, we said it looked "fish-faced." That was enough for Isuzu - the Vehicross was put into production". Then about the real thing they say "Isuzu learns that no one wants a three-door suv that lloks like an escapee from the set of Battlestar Galactica. In three years fewer than 5000 are sold in the states. Bang, Bang, your'e dead."

RabidPony
02/24/2010, 06:51 PM
God forbid a manufacturer not center the entire design of a vehicle around aesthetics or try to design something that doesn't look like every other car on the road.

VX-157
02/24/2010, 06:52 PM
"Isuzu learns that no one wants a three-door suv that lloks like an escapee from the set of Battlestar Galactica.

As a geek i am going to take that as a compliment! on the drive home tonight instead of making vroom vroom sounds at my partner i am going to make lazer pew pew sounds

:supercool

Y33TREKker
02/24/2010, 07:23 PM
...Then about the real thing they say "Isuzu learns that no one wants a three-door suv that lloks like an escapee from the set of Battlestar Galactica....
Well in that case, http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon-pancarte04.gifC&D and their apparent cookie-cutter appreciation of style. :smilewink

rowhard
02/24/2010, 07:36 PM
I don't care, I love it, and I adore, just like my baby cakes Sandy

WormGod
02/25/2010, 06:59 AM
But.... I *WANT* something that looks like it just escaped the set of Battlestar Galactica.

The writer of that article drives a '93 Cavalier, FWIW.

Riff Raff
02/25/2010, 08:01 AM
What the Car & Driver folks failed to realize is that the primary reason fewer than 5000 units were built is solely because of the original "Ceramic Body Mold" for the VX production. These special Ceramic Body Molds deteriorate from usage and have a very limited production life of fewer than 5000 production units. Afterwhich; the mold is destroyed and the vehicle ceases production, just like the VX did (unless of course a new Ceramic Body Mold is made again -- unlikely).

Had the editors of Car & Driver done their homework beforehand, then they wouldn't have slanted the article that VX production ended because of poor sales-- but in fact VX production ended due to the limited life of the original Ceramic Body Mold. Sometimes, the editors of Car & Driver are Fupid Stools and get it wrong, and this time they did once again.

Cobrajet
02/25/2010, 10:07 AM
... in fact VX production ended due to the limited life of the original Ceramic Body Mold.Do you seriously think that Isuzu would have continued production of the VehiCROSS after 2001 considering it's three years sales history? How many were still sitting in the dealer showroom a year after production? They just weren't that popular, and we're the lucky ones who recognized it for what it was/is...AWESOME!!

Kona-Vs
02/25/2010, 10:22 AM
One thing I've noticed in the short time I've been around these VXs is the people that say negative things about them have never actually driven one, the few of us that have knows " whats up" Let your freak flag fly

vt_maverick
02/25/2010, 11:46 AM
Slap a BMW emblem on the hood and the whole staff would have bought them.

C&D is ridiculous anyway. I let my subscription lapse years ago once I came to realize that nothing will ever top a BMW 3-series in their comparisons, and that every SUV, truck, wagon, moped, or other transportation appliance they test drive is expected to look and perform like a sports car or it's judged inferior. Take a look at their "5 Best Trucks" award winner reviews over the last several years and you'll see what I mean.

IMHO, Motor Trend, Automobile, and Road & Track are much better and less slanted publications.

vt_maverick
02/25/2010, 11:47 AM
But I'll at least credit C&D for trying to be a little humble in publishing this list last year:

"Dishonorable Mention"
In conjunction with the 2009 10Best Cars list, Car and Driver issued a list of what it called "The 10 Most Embarrassing Award Winners in Automotive History", spotlighting cars previously honored by a major automotive magazine (including C&D itself) that, with the passage of time, it considered to be anything but award-worthy.[2]

Year Model Award(s)
1983 Renault Alliance Car and Driver 10Best Cars and
Motor Trend Car of the Year
2002 Ford Thunderbird Motor Trend Car of the Year
1971 Chevrolet Vega Motor Trend Car of the Year
1997 Cadillac Catera Automobile All-Stars
1985 Merkur XR4Ti Car and Driver 10Best Cars
1997 Chevrolet Malibu Motor Trend Car of the Year
1990 Lincoln Town Car Motor Trend Car of the Year
1980 Chevrolet Citation Motor Trend Car of the Year
1974 Ford Mustang II Motor Trend Car of the Year
1995 Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique Car and Driver 10Best Cars

LittleBeast
02/25/2010, 12:06 PM
In your April 2010 issue on page 30 you have a small article entitled "Concepts we wish were never built". I couldn't help but completely disagree with you on the Isuzu Vehicross. This Performance Utility Vehicle was one of the most unique rally inspired vehicles ever produced. It was the first production vehicle with remote reservoir shocks, there were no options it was fully loaded from the factory. It had interior pieces modeled after carbon fiber in 1997 before this was popular, it had leather Recaro racing seats straight out of a Porsche from the factory. It was largely hand built, and the positions to work on the Vehicross were highly sought after at Isuzu. Isuzu used a special casting process that limited the production of the Vehicross to around 4,000 units, it was never intended to be a large seller but an attention getter and a mobile advertising to get people to notice it and the big Isuzu across the back of it and visit a local showroom. It performs on the road like a sports car, yet can handle terrain better than most Jeeps. If you have never driven one you should, then you would appreciate how far ahead of its time it was. Still today when people see a Vehicross they ask when it is coming out as if it still could be a concept car. The designers of the Vehicross went on to design the Nissan Murano and Infiniti F35. Your short summary of the Vehicross does not give a clear picture of the impact of this short lived production model, nor does it correctly inform readers of Isuzu's intent on producing it. For a more clear picture please watch these videos (which I had nothing to do with):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgRtGjJ8JM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHKyZvZZa4&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt-ZvY1vkfc&feature=channel
Or you can view some of the photos of my own personal Vehicross for more reference.

For the best information about a Vehicross however, you would have to take one for a test drive. Go through a slalom course surprising most sports cars. Then go and run circles around all the current SUV's on the road today, next go dominate a rally event, and for good measure take it rock crawling and help tow a Jeep safely back to Barbie's garage, and when you are done testing the braking system and see that it still dominates almost all SUV/PUV's on the market today go fill it up at the gas station and notice that it gets almost as many stares as a Ferrari. Then come back and write an article on the world's first and finest Performance Utility Vehicle, that was so far ahead of its time it has still yet to get the praise it deserves. For more info on this uniquely rare and amazingly fun vehicle go to: www.vehicross.info and see how current owners are appreciating and enjoying their own pieces of automobile history. Oh and yeah I totally agree with you on the Pontiac Aztek that thing was hideous and built on a piece of junk frame, it has no where to go but the car graveyard.

vt_maverick
02/25/2010, 01:27 PM
Well put Beast...

VXR
02/25/2010, 02:31 PM
Well put Beast...

X2:yesb:

VX-157
02/25/2010, 03:09 PM
and for good measure take it rock crawling and help tow a Jeep safely back to Barbie's garage.

I could not reply to this straight away as i had to clean my coffoee of my screen...well put! :laughing:

jdm monkey
02/25/2010, 04:35 PM
I just got april's C/D issue too and after reading the article, I logged on here. Thank god ISUZU built the VehiCross. The solstice coupe beside it is not too shabby either.

PHO2GR4
02/26/2010, 10:01 AM
I love the fact that my VX escaped from the Battlestar Galactica universe. I tried to get "CYLON" for my license plate, but it was already taken...frak...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/madmax2a.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8605)

PittVXr
02/26/2010, 02:47 PM
In your April 2010 issue on page 30 you have a small article entitled "Concepts we wish were never built". I couldn't help but completely disagree with you on the Isuzu Vehicross. This Performance Utility Vehicle was one of the most unique rally inspired vehicles ever produced. It was the first production vehicle with remote reservoir shocks, there were no options it was fully loaded from the factory. It had interior pieces modeled after carbon fiber in 1997 before this was popular, it had leather Recaro racing seats straight out of a Porsche from the factory. It was largely hand built, and the positions to work on the Vehicross were highly sought after at Isuzu. Isuzu used a special casting process that limited the production of the Vehicross to around 4,000 units, it was never intended to be a large seller but an attention getter and a mobile advertising to get people to notice it and the big Isuzu across the back of it and visit a local showroom. It performs on the road like a sports car, yet can handle terrain better than most Jeeps. If you have never driven one you should, then you would appreciate how far ahead of its time it was. Still today when people see a Vehicross they ask when it is coming out as if it still could be a concept car. The designers of the Vehicross went on to design the Nissan Murano and Infiniti F35. Your short summary of the Vehicross does not give a clear picture of the impact of this short lived production model, nor does it correctly inform readers of Isuzu's intent on producing it. For a more clear picture please watch these videos (which I had nothing to do with):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgRtGjJ8JM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHKyZvZZa4&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt-ZvY1vkfc&feature=channel
Or you can view some of the photos of my own personal Vehicross for more reference.

For the best information about a Vehicross however, you would have to take one for a test drive. Go through a slalom course surprising most sports cars. Then go and run circles around all the current SUV's on the road today, next go dominate a rally event, and for good measure take it rock crawling and help tow a Jeep safely back to Barbie's garage, and when you are done testing the braking system and see that it still dominates almost all SUV/PUV's on the market today go fill it up at the gas station and notice that it gets almost as many stares as a Ferrari. Then come back and write an article on the world's first and finest Performance Utility Vehicle, that was so far ahead of its time it has still yet to get the praise it deserves. For more info on this uniquely rare and amazingly fun vehicle go to: www.vehicross.info and see how current owners are appreciating and enjoying their own pieces of automobile history. Oh and yeah I totally agree with you on the Pontiac Aztek that thing was hideous and built on a piece of junk frame, it has no where to go but the car graveyard.

I was going to suggest that we write a letter to C&D. After reading this, I think you should just sign all our names to it! Awesome Response to an obviously poorly worded "article".

wekilled
02/27/2010, 12:04 AM
C&D loves a failing auto industry run by accountants instead of car lovers like the classics. The over-unionized American automotive industry deserves what it gets. I was at Fort Stewart the other day in an American rental and it didnt even have lighted letters on the shifter and it felt like I was driving a top-heavy piano on the freeway (Ford) I gave them another chance and bought a Chevy a few years ago--what a huge mistake. Will stick to my VX and my Armada (till fossil fuels dry up and I can find a way to grind up Prius's for fuel.

Mile High VX
02/27/2010, 05:22 AM
Hey Doug,

Thanks for your service to our Country and to my family. You are appreciated.

USMCvxOFFROAD
02/27/2010, 06:15 AM
wish they would have made the VX-4 havin two kids now that would be so nice

don moore
02/27/2010, 09:02 PM
i got to make this logo a window sticker now for my side rear windows
http://www.seeklogo.com/images/B/Battlestar_Galactica-logo-45FF724708-seeklogo.com.gif

JHarris1385
02/27/2010, 09:08 PM
C&D even stated that something along the lines of the VehiCROSS will run circles around the standard suburban van like SUV's that are the market today with its impressive performance. I think this is even on the History of the VX vids on youtube.

Offroad vx
02/28/2010, 02:52 PM
Vt Maverick hit the nail on the head. If the VX was any other brand it would have been the best auto ever! Has anybody test drove an FJ Cruiser? Those things are so simialr it's scary! Everybody loves them because they're a Toyota. Put an Isuzu emblem on and see the response!

Bieredalsace
03/02/2010, 09:47 PM
Just a small mention and picture of the VX showcar and production model on page 30 in the April 2010 Car and Driver magazine.

circmand
03/03/2010, 06:33 AM
if that Toy ota emblem is still going to bring the rave reviews anymore. Now that the industry magazines have been exposed as PR stooges for the car industry as opposed to a non partisan judge of it.

Bee Sting
03/04/2010, 03:20 AM
Little Beast please oh please send your response to C&D as a letter to the editor. Again very well said.

blacksambo
03/04/2010, 07:18 PM
At the time of the VX launch in the USA, it was reviewed by C&D in Hawaii. Their Managing Editor was on the review video tape and said "they've positioned this vehicle for performance (Isuzu) but you really should want this vehicle for its styling. There's nothing else like it on the road today. " The VX indeed introduced agressive styling. You'd have to go back to the '66 Toronado to find anything as significant. This became the styling route all manufacturers would eventually take. Motor Trend named it a future classic four yeras ago, and Truck Trend placed it on their all-time top ten list. These current C&D people aren't cognizinant of what had been said about the VX, obivously.

AndyC
03/13/2010, 08:32 AM
I saw that and had to post a comment - I was a lucky one that purchased mine(01) new in 02 and still love as much as the day I picked it up.
I get still get so many looks and positive feed back as I'm sure many of you guys get too.

Baxman
03/14/2010, 04:09 PM
I, too was compelled to write to C&D regarding the April 2010 article. Here's mine:

My 89 year old mother has become so forgetful that we have to remind her who her children are. And so it seems, you too, could use some recall-bolstering. In your brief article “Concept Cars We Wish Had Never Been Built” (April, 2010, page 30) you remark “In three years, less than 5000 are sold in the United States. Bang bang, you’re dead”. Hmm, in April 1999, you wrote about the VehiCross: “The molds that cast [the black-plastic cladding parts] are made of an inexpensive ceramic and are only capable of casting a limited number of parts… But after 5000 or 6000 of the vehicles are built, the molds will be shot.” Might that be the reason for the limited production and sales?

In the recent article you also wrote: “…nobody wants a 3-door SUV that looks like an escapee from the set of Battlestar Galactica“. In 1999: “And it looks so cool! Up front, the visage is totally menacing.” Perhaps some Ginkgo Biloba is in order.

Having been one of the lucky 4,153 outside Japan to own this limited-production concept is one of the automotive highlights of my life. After 10 years and 140,000 miles I only just recently passed my “VX” down to my daughter. Until now, I have been unable to find a new vehicle with as much character, capability, versatility, and[I] affordable exoticism. It’s not unusual for another driver to urgently overtake the VX from the rear, only to drive along side, gawking and trying to get a peek at the grill for identification (mine has been de-badged to add to the mystique). I’ve had people tap on my window while stopped at traffic lights to ask “What kind of car is this?!” My little AWD beast once spanked a Pantera in a wet autocross. It earned the first place trophy in the Oregon Region SCCA Rallycross “Truck/SUV class”. This little rig has pulled out more than one motorhome stuck in the sand, and has left skeptical Wrangler owners speechless.

Which vehicle was desirable enough to replace the VX in my garage? A 2009 Cadillac CTS-V; horsepower trumps all.

Axelivan
03/14/2010, 07:00 PM
you guys are great! and so it is my Ironman Vx '99. I never gonna sell it.

Baxman
03/16/2010, 05:41 PM
Axelivan, I was in PR last week. Beautiful country! I didn't see a VX in San Juan, But did see a yellow VX parked on the street in Ponce. The cladding, door handles and gas filler were all (professionally) painted yellow. Nice Job. Have you seen it?

(Didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry!)

Axelivan
03/16/2010, 06:14 PM
Hi, yes i did saw it. That's one of the only five to came to our island. It belong to a doctor and he bought it a year ago to the owner of Isuzu PR, $15k. With the original Supercharger from year 2001. Mine came used from Illinois in 1999 and had two owners before me (poor guys, they don't understand). I work in a local Bank in Guaynabo city, very close to San Juan. If you like, next time you come to visit I can get you in contact with a friend of mine who work in car rental so you can get.....sorry for say it, a Jeep just like the one Barbie has...:p.
And I can give a ride to great places to eat for only 4x4 owners. Just yesterday a senior citizen ask me if that was the new Isuzu, you can imagine all the explaining I have to do when I told that it's a '99 model. I'm glad you have a good time in Puerto Rico and hope to hear from you soon. If you own a Mountain bike, bring it with you too. You won't regret it. Find me on facebook as Axel I. Figueroa. See 'ya