PDA

View Full Version : considering VX, engine failure?

atilla_the_fun
02/24/2010, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Joseph. I'm on the prowl for a VX (I've always wanted one, I mean who hasn't seen mission to mars?) but I'm not in a situation where I can afford 5k+ on a new engine in addition to the car's price. I've got one located with 105K miles with one previous owner in good shape.
I'm freaked out by the 3.5L's oil issues, I have looked into it but can't find any credible or concrete failure % numbers on these engines. If I end up getting this VX, the FIRST thing I'm doing is adding a prosport digital Oil pressure gauge with the jap/isuzu sandwich plate.

Am I making the wrong choice in looking for a VX? How frequent are these engine failures? Do you guys worry about this? I've been researching this 3.5L so much that my eyes will start to bleed soon.

Has anyone ever considered an engine swap from a 98-99 Acura SLX? Same engine, but I read that Honda redesigned some components. Haven't seen any forums where they talk about engine failures on those cars. Could be a good target for an engine swap (an SLX engine is 2.5k on ebay too).

Triathlete
02/24/2010, 02:22 PM
Many VX's on here with well over 100,000 miles on them that are still running strong. I have 130,000 on my '99 and burn pretty much no oil between changes. The key thing is to make a habbit of checking your oil.:bwgy:

tom4bren
02/24/2010, 02:42 PM
one member swapped in an engine from an Axiom with good results.

VX-157
02/24/2010, 02:46 PM
Many VX's on here with well over 100,000 miles on them that are still running strong. I have 130,000 on my '99 and burn pretty much no oil between changes. The key thing is to make a habbit of checking your oil.:bwgy:

G'day mate, Triathlete hit the nail on the head, keep checking the oil on a regular basis (this should be done on all cars IMO)

When i bought my vx the motor was bone dry, the dip stick had nadda on it. i topped her up and i have no major issues. Have the oil and filter changed every 5000km and you should be good.

Welcome to the craze

blacksambo
02/24/2010, 08:21 PM
Pimary oil loss is through the PVC sysytem. Keep the oil filler on tight with a new gasket and new PVC valve and you'll be all right.

SlowPro48
02/24/2010, 10:24 PM
I've been researching this 3.5L so much that my eyes will start to bleed soon.

Dude, you and 89Vette need to combine efforts. There's going to be a pop quiz, you know...