PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno Predicts the Pontiac Aztek to be next Future Collectible

rickshaw
02/22/2010, 09:31 PM
What do you think of Jay's prediction about the Pontiac Aztek?

Jay Leno's Article from Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/4312877.html?page=1)
Jay Leno says, "Just as the much-maligned Ford Edsel of the late 1950s is collectible today, so too will be the Pontiac Aztek in the future. No kidding—Azteks will be really collectible if there are any of them left. The Aztek is so odd-looking and weird that people want to collect them, like the popular “nerd cars”—AMC Gremlins and Pacers and Ford Pintos. Remember those VW vans with all the windows, or even mid-1980s Chrysler K-cars with the fake wood? It looked fake then. It still looks fake. But today people want ’em. These models have personalities. They’re not jellybean cars."

I am not a fan of the Aztek AT ALL but I thought comment #19 seem to hit the mark.

19. RE: Jay Leno Predicts Future Collectable and Classic Cars
Leno's mostly right. His collectablity principles can be distilled down even further, though. Collectable cars must have one or more of the following: (1) Fast (100+ m.p.h. in the quarter mile); (2)Youthful (in their day);(3) Unusual (e.g. rare, odd, or rare and odd); (4) Simplicity/easy to work on (This will kill the Gen 1 Taurus and most FWDs); (5)The first or last of a type/style/technology; (6) "Antiqueness" (so obsolete, dangerous and/or "unrepriseable" as to be a time-capsule); (7) Rebelliousness; (8) Exclusivity (Rare & popular).

http://www.aztekfanclub.com/coppermine/albums/userpics-old/10440/normal_CIMG0431.JPG
Here's one thats ready for the trails at Moab. Yeah Right.

Jay said. "Azteks will be really collectible if there are any of them left"
I had to do a quick check on Auto Trader to see how many are for sale.

Pontiac Aztek
422 listings
Average Price: $6,840

Isuzu VehiCROSS
15 listings
Average Price: $10,269

Just throwing out some production numbers:

Pontiac Aztek
Total American sales 2001 - 2005: 108,449
Assembly: Ramos Arizpe, Mexico
The Pontiac Aztek was a car-based SUV utilizing many drivetrain components from the Chevrolet Venture minivan.

Isuzu VehiCROSS
Total American sales 1999 - 2001: 4,153
Partially assembled by hand: Fujisawa, Japan
it shares much of its components with the Isuzu Trooper

Unfortunately I found poll comparing the VX with the Aztek, why did they do that.
Link (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1900778)

The folks at Hemmings Motor News say as for which "nerd cars" are most likely to reach real collector auction values in the future, Hagerty has a simple formula: "The weirder the better."

When all is said and done, I think the final resting place for the Pontiac Aztek is Concours d’LeMons
A Car Show for the most ugly.
Link (http://www.concoursdlemons.com/)

JoFotoz
02/23/2010, 01:52 AM
Jay WHO???

Craig Ferguson!...:thumbup:

...nuff said!

jo

Ldub
02/23/2010, 01:54 AM
Jay WHO???

...nuff said!

jo

L0L...BRILLIANT!

JoFotoz
02/23/2010, 02:00 AM
Dude Dub...I just called ya...

...no answer.

???.....:mad:

jo

Ldub
02/23/2010, 03:24 AM
Dude Dub...I just called ya...

...no answer.

???.....:mad:

jo

I'm at work...where else would I be at 4 in the ayem...:confused:...:laughing:

TJ = over...I'm sorry...:mbrasd:

WormGod
02/23/2010, 07:25 AM
What does Jay know....

He collects anything his money can buy. I think he even has a few hundred pieces of gravel he seems to think were Native American Indian arrowheads.

Now, scour his garage(s) for a VehiCROSS or an Aztek. I guarantee, you'll find NEITHER.

Hey Jay....

http://api.ning.com/files/Bt14iWGSIGCwHf78573k-7imyaR9jKQri76Mw9Avd5A_/BlahBlahBlahcard_mainpic.jpg

A lot of this is angst from Conan getting ousted.... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQvsuJ5wIA

vt_maverick
02/23/2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah I've got no respect for Leno after the whole deal with Conan. And I can't see Aztecs as ever being worth much money - collectible maybe, but valuable, no way. They simply produced far too many for them ever to be rare enough to be worth anything. Same deal as '65 Mustangs, they're considered collectible but a run-of-the-mill model with good mechanicals and a brand new paint job go for less than a new Kia.

Leah
02/23/2010, 09:09 AM
There ain't no account for psycho...I mean, taste. No, psycho is good.

Cobrajet
02/23/2010, 12:45 PM
Now, scour his garage(s) for a VehiCROSS or an Aztek. I guarantee, you'll find NEITHER.Jay's collection of Azteks is parked right next to his collection of Yugos.

FWIW (OT) - I happened to watch every single episode of the Jay Leno show at 10:00. I've never watched Conan...never will.

vt_maverick
02/23/2010, 02:15 PM
Continuing TJ... ...which is why NBC should have found a way to keep both. They're trading in potential long-term return (i.e. younger viewers) for a short-term ratings boost (by pulling older viewers back in).

Eh, it's okay, Conan will land on another network in September and do fine I'm sure. There's enough viewers out there to support a third major player (and no I don't count the ABC guy - what's his name again? - in that list).

circmand
02/23/2010, 02:32 PM
Continuing TJ... ...which is why NBC should have found a way to keep both. They're trading in potential long-term return (i.e. younger viewers) for a short-term ratings boost (by pulling older viewers back in).

Eh, it's okay, Conan will land on another network in September and do fine I'm sure. There's enough viewers out there to support a third major player (and no I don't count the ABC guy - what's his name again? - in that list).

Conan never got the ratings and if it wasnt called the tonite show it would have gone the way of teh Chevy Chase Show and the andy richter show and all the other suck shows.

pbkid
02/23/2010, 05:52 PM
aztec= ;puke2;

vt_maverick
02/23/2010, 06:17 PM
Conan never got the ratings ...

...from the older generation that followed Leno. Someday Leno's viewers will be going to bed by 9 and NBC will need the younger audience, which is why I said Conan has long-term potential, not a short-term upside. IMO NBC's mistake wasn't in who they promoted, but when they chose to do it. Had NBC told Conan that he couldn't have the desk until Leno decided (on his own) to leave, one of two things would have happened. (1) Conan would have gotten impatient and decided to bolt to another network or (2) Conan would wait out the 5-10 years and become the king of late night after Leno and Letterman step down. Obviously the latter would have been the best option for everyone involved.

Conan's a good guy and a talented host, I just think his younger audience isn't as dependable right now as they would be in a few years. I know my wife and I watched Conan for years in high school and college, but work and taking care of a baby means we go to bed by 10 every night now. I suspect the same may be true for many of his other fans.

Mark B
02/23/2010, 06:56 PM
My better half has always wanted a Aztek.
Buy her the Aztek and maybe she will stop driving my VX.

rickshaw
02/24/2010, 11:14 PM
All I can say is why did he do it?
Link (http://www.aztekfanclub.com/SMF/index.php?topic=125.0)

JHarris1385
02/24/2010, 11:30 PM
My wife's grandma drives one....honestly it does grow on you. Her case is that she needed room and getting in and out was easier in the Az than a van or a car. If you built a shelf in the cargo area you could grow a garden with all the window coverage back there.

VXR
02/25/2010, 03:04 AM
I happened to watch every single episode of the Jay Leno show at 10:00. I've never watched Conan...never will.

you must be joking leno is and always has been a late night hack for the moronic masses:madb:

vt_maverick
02/25/2010, 11:57 AM
;puke2; Should have bought a second VX instead lol...

BigSwede
02/25/2010, 01:04 PM
I will say an Aztek has a lot more headroom than a VX, a quality that is near and dear to my heart.

blacksambo
02/25/2010, 06:30 PM
AZTEK?---I've seen better looking dumpsters!

VXR
04/17/2010, 03:14 AM
Jay WHO???

...nuff said!

jo

X2

hey ldub have you noticed that Ferguson has a new skeleton sidekick???

Ldub
04/17/2010, 03:44 AM
X2

hey ldub have you noticed that Ferguson has a new skeleton sidekick???

Nope...don't watch TV. Haven't had any broadcast signal (cable or antenna) in my home for almost two years.
Don't miss the mental refuse that spills forth, nor the commercials, even a little...:yesgray:
I Do have a television, & a PS3...and a few hundred DVD's, so I'm not a total Luddite...:laughing:

But no TV or cel phone for me.

VXR
04/17/2010, 04:06 AM
Don't miss the mental refuse that spills forth, nor the commercials, even a little...:yesgray:

I am with you there can't and don't watch ANY of the primetime crap NONE!
but I do like a little late night humor:yesb:

VXR
04/17/2010, 04:11 AM
oh ya I forgot to say leno is the worst:madb:

Ldub
04/17/2010, 04:16 AM
I goog'd fergusons sidekick...looks pretty funny.

Also cool that Grant from mythbusters did the build...:thumbup:

About the only thing I miss about broadcast TV is the nature/history/science shows.
It seems that any programming that I enjoy(ed), eventually gets dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, so I finally gave up...:rolleyesg

Discovery channel was once fun for me to watch, but then got dumbed down to it's present form of reality garbage...:upsetgray

Sorry for the blatant TJ...climbing down off my soap box now...:mbrasd:

Scott Harness
04/17/2010, 06:15 AM
It seems that any programming that I enjoy(ed), eventually gets dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, so I finally gave up...:rolleyesg

I hear ya my friend.It's sad.
They all shoot in that herky-jerky(scientific jargon) mode also.No image is on the screen for more than 1/3 of a second.
It's either for the ADD generation or it's cheaper to produce.You really don't have to focus or pay attention to your shot.

Gizmo42
04/17/2010, 11:34 PM
About the only thing I miss about broadcast TV is the nature/history/science shows

Those are mainly all I watch. Mostly the tv is just on for background while I"m playing puter games with headphones on lol. Any shows on other channels that I like to see I record on dvr and watch on weekends, can skip all the commercials that way. Remembered a couple weeks ago why I stopped watching comedy central at night. Girls gone wild commercials are freakin obnoxious and they have them EVERY commercial break.

Back to the OP, I looked at that asstek vs vx poll and seems the large majority really like the vx at least. I would probably have a vx if they were available in 5 speed, or I had a garage where I could do a mua5 swap.

Ldub
04/18/2010, 01:09 AM
:laughing:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=191377&postcount=9