PDA

View Full Version : TOD, torque on demand problem

p.griff
08/15/2003, 01:59 PM
I recently noticed that my TOD indicator light turns on and off repeatedly during moderate to heavy acceleration (dry pavement). I can also hear/feel the system engage and disengage when this occurs. It seems to be most noticeable when taking off from a complete stop, and only when the vehicle is at operating temperature. It doesn't seem to do it when the vehicle is still cold.
I had the vehicle checked at Hatfield Isuzu in Columbus, OH... but they were unable to diagnose the problem. Anybody know what may be causing it to do this? The vehicle is totally stock except for slightly larger tires about 5k miles ago. Thanks!

AnalogVX
08/15/2003, 03:16 PM
Check your air in your tires. A couple of people have had trouble only to find that a tire was low on air causing an irregular reading in the TOD computer making it go crazy. Maybe someone who has had it happen will chime in.

p.griff
08/16/2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

-x-
08/16/2003, 07:11 AM
I had/have some problem w/the txr case engaging and disengaging when not req. (i.e. dry pavement, when decellerating) any how i recently jumped up ;Db; significantly in tire size from stock to 285/?75?'s :yesb: and i dont hear anymore crunchin and the tod display is back to "normal" if there is such a thing. Not saying the bigger tires fixed it :rollb: but i dont hear anymore disturbances :thumbup: ...x

p.griff
08/16/2003, 06:22 PM
...it was low tire pressure. Seems to be working properly now. Feelin' a little stupid for wasting 85 bucks on a diagnostic test though. I'll definately post any other problems on the site before going to the dealership. Thanks for the advice!

geoman-01
09/11/2006, 01:19 PM
I currently have the same symptoms in my VX. I recently purchased new front tires and it appears that the two may be linked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the new tires are the same size as rears but different brand. Thanks

Maugan_VX
09/12/2006, 06:33 AM
Mine does that.

Happened when I put on the bigger rubbers.

Oh well...

VXR
09/15/2006, 06:59 PM
Mine has always done this but a lot more since I put on much larger tires. Is there any reason to be concerned about TOD engaging on dry pavement? :confused:

kelvin
09/21/2006, 12:32 PM
one more problem i can check off my list. mine does this every now and then and i know for a fact that my tire pressure is a bit low... hope this works, but it does make sense.

NYVX
10/13/2006, 11:19 AM
I currently have the same symptoms in my VX. I recently purchased new front tires and it appears that the two may be linked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the new tires are the same size as rears but different brand. Thanks
i would put the new front tires on rear...from what I read here... tod is very sensitive to mismatch...smaller tire ( or spare) should ALWAYs be on front.....and some "same size" tires may actually be different diameter

EdFG
02/13/2007, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I've began having this problem too. It started after I had a blow out and replaced the front tires with new ones of the same size but different brand. There's also a sound coming from the front tires when I'm decelarating as if something was rubbing.

Have any of you all been able to stop the TOD from coming on? Could it be the transmission or the transfer case? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Anita
02/13/2007, 10:17 AM
One of the simplest tests would be to rotate your new tires to the back and see if the problem continues. But also, the TOD is sensitive to changes in tire diameters. How much tread wear is on your old ones? My first guess is that there is enough difference between your new and old tires to fake out the TOD. Also check air pressure.

uncle_asa
02/13/2007, 11:13 AM
I think all the manuals I read state that all 4 tires should be exactly the same for the proper transmission balance. The different tire threads have different slippage on the road, so that's why TOD may engage occasionly.