PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about some sliders

samneil2000
02/15/2010, 08:12 AM
I have looked at these http://www.rocky-road.com/vxrockrail.html a few times and I think I'm ready to order some.
I read through quite a few posts about them from years past. I wanted to check and see if anyone knows if they're still available. If so, do they still require an inch or so trim for the front wheel well area?
Are there any other sliders I should compare these with, or are these the ones?
Oh yeah, is the diff guard worth getting at the same time? It looks like you just weld it on. Not too bad for 59 bucks I guess.

Thanks!

Cobrajet
02/15/2010, 09:21 AM
Oh, man, that thread title has made me hungry!!!

http://www.cheese-burger.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/white-castle-slyders.jpg

On topic - You could buy a LOT of these for $59.

handeeman
02/15/2010, 09:28 AM
LMAO! I thought it but didn't say it. Made me hungry too...wish we had White Castle, we do have KRYSTALS tho.
On topic, I wonder if they are still available?

samneil2000
02/15/2010, 09:39 AM
Those definitely look tastier than the ones I was looking at. I don't know how much protection they'll give me in the rocks though. :p

Swordy
02/15/2010, 01:58 PM
Those look pretty good, but the don't look all that strong though.

I have looked at these http://www.rocky-road.com/vxrockrail.html a few times and I think I'm ready to order some.
I read through quite a few posts about them from years past. I wanted to check and see if anyone knows if they're still available. If so, do they still require an inch or so trim for the front wheel well area?
Are there any other sliders I should compare these with, or are these the ones?
Oh yeah, is the diff guard worth getting at the same time? It looks like you just weld it on. Not too bad for 59 bucks I guess.

Thanks!

Triathlete
02/15/2010, 03:03 PM
Swordy, glad to see you still kicking around these parts!
I am pretty sure the RR sliders are still available as they make them when ordered. As for there strength...Zeus and a few others are running them and hopfully will chime in. I am running the Stric9 sliders which I like but the guy has a real job so it is near impossible to get a set from him.

Knivx
02/15/2010, 03:39 PM
I'm running Rocky road sliders. Ordered them last summer, they're built to order so they should be available but it takes a few weeks. They are pretty stout, I've used them as intended. I really liked how they bolted to both the frame and the body pinch seem. My buddys sliders on his Tacoma are just bolted to the frame and they flex up and down a bit when on rocks, mine don't budge. So don't get them if you're plannin on a body lift. They are a pain in the rump installing them. I had 3 of us. 2 people is definitely minimum, IMHO. They are quite heavy. And no instructions are included though they are pretty self explanatory as they only fit one way. I didn't have to trim any cladding. Though removing the rocker piece makes it a little easier and reinstalls easy with the slider in place. I priced these and the stric9 sliders and If I remember correctly the Rocky Road ones are considerably cheaper and don't require welding. I would recommend them for sure!

samneil2000
02/15/2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks Knivx. This is the sort of first-hand info I was looking for. Do you remember if there were any special tools needed? I read somewhere about a short drill or something like that. If all I have to do is drill some holes and get a couple extra hands to stick it up there, I can handle that.
Thanks again

I'm running Rocky road sliders. Ordered them last summer, they're built to order so they should be available but it takes a few weeks. They are pretty stout, I've used them as intended. I really liked how they bolted to both the frame and the body pinch seem. My buddys sliders on his Tacoma are just bolted to the frame and they flex up and down a bit when on rocks, mine don't budge. So don't get them if you're plannin on a body lift. They are a pain in the rump installing them. I had 3 of us. 2 people is definitely minimum, IMHO. They are quite heavy. And no instructions are included though they are pretty self explanatory as they only fit one way. I didn't have to trim any cladding. Though removing the rocker piece makes it a little easier and reinstalls easy with the slider in place. I priced these and the stric9 sliders and If I remember correctly the Rocky Road ones are considerably cheaper and don't require welding. I would recommend them for sure!

Knivx
02/15/2010, 07:11 PM
Yes find the smallest drill possible. A friend of mine had one. I did have to buy a bit though. Can't remember the size but Rocky Road can tell ya, i ended up calling them to find out. I got a good expensive metal fancy bit and it was so worth it. Made drilling holes while lying in grease and dirt so much nicer. It came with self tapping bolts for the frame so the hole you'll drill is smaller than the bolt, I wanna say 3/8's but check before obviously. I did mine this last spring so details are slipping away.:bwgy:

I had two of us hold the slider in place while the third guy marked all the holes to drill. Another reason to have friends there to help hold.

Triathlete
02/15/2010, 08:07 PM
No drill needed with a welder!:bwgy:

Knivx
02/15/2010, 08:20 PM
No drill needed with a welder!:bwgy:

Though its so much easier to bolt something together than have welding skills. And so much easier to remove for any reason. (plus welders cost alot more than a decent drill) :yesb:

Knigh7s
02/16/2010, 03:49 AM
@Knivx

Per the Rocky Road Website:

Installation is made easier on many of our kits by marking strips which we include with every set. Instead of trying to juggle a 35lb rocker bar in place while you mark your holes, you simply clamp our thin steel marker strip onto the body seam and mark your mounting holes.
Do these not come with the template?

I'm debating these. I like the StinkyLinks (http://stinkyfab.com/slinks.html), but heard that they will make contact with the rear brace on the sliders... can anyone confirm this?

Ldub
02/16/2010, 03:52 AM
Yes find the smallest drill possible. A friend of mine had one. I did have to buy a bit though.

One of these, @ under $40 (even less if they're having a $ale...:smilewink) is a handy thing to have in close quarters mechanical combat...:yesgray:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/92900-92999/92956.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92956

MSHardeman
02/16/2010, 07:48 AM
I know Jack (pbkid) put some sliders on his VX and I remember him telling me that he had to use a 90 degree drill to get into some of the tight spaces under there. Patience, and a good drill bit, will go a long way.

On a similar note: I had heard that we are NOT supposed to weld to our frames. Something about the heat de-stablizing the metal structure and possibly causing failure. Can anyone confirm/deny my fourth hand information?

Triathlete
02/16/2010, 08:43 AM
I'm debating these. I like the StinkyLinks (http://stinkyfab.com/slinks.html), but heard that they will make contact with the rear brace on the sliders... can anyone confirm this?

I believe the straight links are fine. Only the bent links were subject to contacting the sliders.

as far as welding to the frame I have heard arguments for and against it. Mine are welded on, have large mounting area that spreads the load and are gusseted...I have had no problems since mounting them over 2 years ago and they have been pounded on a time or 2 or 3 or 4...:bwgy:

Mile High VX
02/16/2010, 09:11 AM
Mine were welded, then cut off and frabricated to be removable. Welding plate remained and the attachment occurs with the tube from the slider sliding over the solid tube on the welded plate. It all attaches with bolts and lock washers. Two attachments for each side. It's sweet because I can remove them when not needed (gets your pants dirty when you get out if you're not careful) and put them on when I take it out for some fun.

Can post pics if anyone is interested...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Ascinder
02/16/2010, 09:35 AM
I tried to do some digging on our frames being heat treated sometime last year. It turns out they are, as are many factory frames. I have talked to several offroading places and they've all said that it is acceptable to weld to frames for things like sliders. It's more critical that it's welded right than that it's welded at all. You pretty much need to minimize heat soak into the frame so the affected area is as small as possible. TIG welding would be optimal, but the tight spaces may be a problem.

Knivx
02/16/2010, 06:59 PM
@Knivx

Per the Rocky Road Website:

Do these not come with the template?

Never came with mine?:_confused Maybe the lower production rate caused RR not to send out templates with the VX sliders?

VX1032
02/17/2010, 03:43 AM
I got stric9's on my VX. I picked them over RockyRoads because I had heard a couple complaints online about their customer service. Stric9 was nice, but they take a while due to his real life. I also prefered the weld on to the bolt on, and I haven't had any issues.

Whatever you do, don't use bedliner on your sliders like I did. Makes them a PITA to clean and to patch once you scrap them up.

They are both overbuilt for the usage that most people will put a VX through, or maybe all people, so you are all good there. I have seen Jolly's RockyRoad sliders and they are very similar to Stric9 except for the mounting method.