PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage

Mile High VX
02/13/2010, 06:42 PM
So I've had the VX for two months now and it's averaging about 13.5 MPG combined town and highway (no off road miles...yet) over the course of 850 miles.

Not really happy with that, but if that's what it is, then that's what it is.

Any thoughts about making some improvements? (I've read lots of the existing threads, but did not find what I was looking for)

It has a green air filter and I'm running 275/65R18 at 36 PSI. It has 70K on the odometer.

Thanks for the help.

Ldub
02/13/2010, 09:01 PM
Your mileage will increase when "summer gas" arrives in the spring...:yesgray:

I typically see a 25-30% hit in mileage during the winter months, partially from winter blend fuel, partially from letting her warm up for 5-10 mins before driving.

Mile High VX
02/14/2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks Ldub.

I have good records from the past and I'm down about 2 MPG over the previous year/owner for the winter months.

Would the tires/wheels make that much difference? Everything else is the same...except for the driver...:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

Previous owner had stock rims and 265/60R18 Goodyear Wranglers.

Ldub
02/14/2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Ldub.

I have good records from the past and I'm down about 2 MPG over the previous year/owner for the winter months.

Would the tires/wheels make that much difference? Everything else is the same...except for the driver...:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

Previous owner had stock rims and 265/60R18 Goodyear Wranglers.

Lots of variables to think about...:_thinking

I'm noticing gas having more ethanol in the last year or so...:confusedw
Maybe that's just around here...:_confused

Driving style - tire size - different changes in elevation in primary driving areas - could be a combination of several things.

JHarris1385
02/14/2010, 08:09 PM
This winter mix has hit me too...only getting about 14. You increased your tire by an inch..the rolling resistance beyond that with different tread pattern/compound affects it too. I am lifted with 265-75-16...

Mile High VX
02/14/2010, 08:21 PM
Good point on the tire size.

If I use the tire calculator is tells me my speed (hence my mileage) is understated by about 5%. If I take the 856 miles and do the math I get actual miles of about 898. This puts the mileage at 14.2 MPG.

Feeling better already...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Kona-Vs
02/15/2010, 12:45 AM
Here in Kona we can buy non ethanol gas at the boat harbor. When the ethanol gas first came out it screwed up every ones outboard motors including mine (900 bucks worth) So last year out of curiosity I drove my landcruiser for two months on the non ethanol gas and got two mi per gallon more (12mi with ethanol vs 14 mi without) Unfortunately they charge you 25% more not two put the ethanol in the gas

Sprey
02/15/2010, 01:28 AM
Hmm over here im running mine on 95 unleaded.
about 130 to fill it up and doesnt seem to last very long.
im running a 265/75/16 tyre as well.

i havent actualy tested mine for how much k's i get per tank etc.
but yesterday i put in $80 was i near the empty line but no light.
ive reset the counter, im gonna drive to the light comes on then record my k's etc
i put in around 44 litres i think at a cost of $1.80 something a litre.

will report back once ive got my empty line on.

mods wise, no cat converter and a custom muffler simular to the pv2. but not straight through by the sounds of it.

castigan
02/15/2010, 01:58 AM
Hmm over here im running mine on 95 unleaded.
about 130 to fill it up and doesnt seem to last very long.
im running a 265/75/16 tyre as well.

i havent actualy tested mine for how much k's i get per tank etc.
but yesterday i put in $80 was i near the empty line but no light.
ive reset the counter, im gonna drive to the light comes on then record my k's etc
i put in around 44 litres i think at a cost of $1.80 something a litre.

will report back once ive got my empty line on.

mods wise, no cat converter and a custom muffler simular to the pv2. but not straight through by the sounds of it.

ive tested mine, $130 ish to fill, 400km per tank around town and 550km per tank on highway.

they suck back gas... simple.....

Sprey
02/15/2010, 02:04 AM
ive tested mine, $130 ish to fill, 400km per tank around town and 550km per tank on highway.

they suck back gas... simple.....

ahh sweet, i was thinking around 400 km or soo too.
cheers for that.

everytime i fill up when im with my mate im like hey wanna swap gas bills everytime he bites straight away and is like hell no hahaaha

WormGod
02/15/2010, 07:29 AM
A few things that might be affecting your gas....

Your altitude. (CO?) No pro on this, but it must come in to play somehow.

Your driving style. Accelerating 4k lbs from s stop takes a toll.

Mods. Bigger tires/lift create more drag too.

Winter gas boils faster/sooner so it burns off faster. Cold start-ups REALLY take advantage of this at the cost of eating even more. I recommend block heaters in this case. Cold engines run harder to get to running temp, so they burn a HELL OF A LOT of fuel just idling. Typically, cars only need about 30 secs of start idle in the cold to be up and going, just don't hammer it. Let those fluids flow at a comfy pace.

ZubrAZ
02/15/2010, 08:23 AM
I would say sometnig needs to be fixed. on my original 3.5 6VE1 I was making almost 20mpg. I put 3.2 6VD1 and was expecting a bit better gas mileage, but it's not happening. I'm getting about 17-18mpg. the measurements are taken on flat phoenix's roads in winter (phx winter ;) ), and I'm cruising - rarely push it above 3.5K rpm :)

Mile High VX
02/15/2010, 02:16 PM
A few things that might be affecting your gas....

Your altitude. (CO?) No pro on this, but it must come in to play somehow.

Your driving style. Accelerating 4k lbs from s stop takes a toll.

Mods. Bigger tires/lift create more drag too.

Winter gas boils faster/sooner so it burns off faster. Cold start-ups REALLY take advantage of this at the cost of eating even more. I recommend block heaters in this case. Cold engines run harder to get to running temp, so they burn a HELL OF A LOT of fuel just idling. Typically, cars only need about 30 secs of start idle in the cold to be up and going, just don't hammer it. Let those fluids flow at a comfy pace.

Great thoughts.

I have a block heater and use it when I know I'll be going out first thing in the morning. Gotta love that CO sun, 25 degrees outside and standing in that bright CO sunshine it feels like 70....:)

Knivx
02/15/2010, 04:00 PM
I got 17-18 when i was stock, now that i have the larger tires (265/75r16) I get about 13 or so. Thats summer too, haven't really checked this winter. Driving style is the same. Mild amount of hot rodding, off-roading and letting it warm. Plus most of my miles are in town to and from work which is only 1.5 mile away. Hope the input helps!

pbkid
02/15/2010, 04:24 PM
i know that i was getting 13-14 in mine with 31" Wrangler MTR's and my roof rack...

Seidmanrob
02/16/2010, 11:10 PM
I usually get 15.5-16 mpg in mostly city and some freeway driving. Same for both summer and winter.
Bob