PDA

View Full Version : a little venting..

etlsport
02/10/2010, 11:24 AM
sorry for venting but i have some steam to blow off

sitting here at work.. theres 12+ inches of snow that has fallen already, theyre calling for an additional 6-10 inches, declared state of emergency and banned driving in delaware (which is about 15 minutes from me) and our regional manager (who is nowhere near the snow) has decided that we will stay open for business. for lunch out of 12 employees between our two stores here, i was the only one who could make it to the grocery store for food.. the grocery store is less than 200 yards from our door. even me driving there was treacherous because there is more or less 0 visibility and when i got there, they were shutting down because power has been in and out for the last few hours at their store as well as ours. its unsafe, and i can guarentee they wont pay to have my vx replaced if god forbid i wreck on the way home when i finally get to leave.. AT 8PM! @$^%#&@$#%

JAMAS
02/10/2010, 11:29 AM
What are the consequences if you just leave?

Gussie2000
02/10/2010, 11:36 AM
What are the consequences if you just leave?

Ha !

They'll seize eric's VX to shop around :p

Anyways eric,staying safe is priority # 1 so don't risk your toy for some hot chocolate & cookies.

Wanna see you this coming summer season :yesy:

pbkid
02/10/2010, 12:02 PM
ya, trust me. its not worth it....

thats EXACTLY how i got into my accident. errands had to be run for work in a severe storm and some jack@$$ in a yukon ended up sliding into my VX... the drivers fender was screwed up since...

be careful. its not worth your baby.

VX KAT
02/10/2010, 12:22 PM
JUST saw on live TV a 50 car pileup in your vicinity in PA, 15 hospitalized....tell your boss they're nuts to keep you there (ok, maybe word it a bit nicer to keep your job)...surely no customers will be coming by!

Don't know the specific Workers' Comp laws in PA, but some states they have to cover you door to door.....now wouldn't it be a stupid decision for your boss to keep you all if that's the way PA WC laws are?

etlsport
02/10/2010, 12:39 PM
from what ive been told closing the store early is a just about a fireable offense.. ive been on the phone with a few different higher ups.. all agree with me, but final say is regional manager (who nobody seems to have heard from in a while) so here i sit

MSHardeman
02/10/2010, 12:52 PM
Eric, just take it SUPER easy on your way home, and maybe take some back roads (if the snow isn't too deep) to avoid any idiots in Suburban's that think just because they have four wheel drive means that they'll be able to stop just as quickly in the crud.

Out here in Colorado I have every confidece that the VX will get me where I need to go, through dang near any condition....it's the other fools on the road that I'm scared of.

etlsport
02/10/2010, 01:04 PM
Eric, just take it SUPER easy on your way home, and maybe take some back roads (if the snow isn't too deep) to avoid any idiots in Suburban's that think just because they have four wheel drive means that they'll be able to stop just as quickly in the crud.

Out here in Colorado I have every confidece that the VX will get me where I need to go, through dang near any condition....it's the other fools on the road that I'm scared of.

completely agree, i have supreme confidence in the vx especially since the tires on it are still at 13/32 depth, but over the weekend during the first snow storm i was run up a snow bank by a moron in a buick and on the way into work this morning an idiot in a dump truck pulled off a side street directly infront of me, causing me to skid to within 5 ft of him before bringing it to a stop

etlsport
02/10/2010, 01:22 PM
went to move the vx for the snow plow.. slid farther sideways than i went forward, told the boss too bad im leaving, well see how it goes my next day in on friday.. but for now.. off i go into the unknown

PittVXr
02/10/2010, 01:23 PM
Look Eric:

With blizzard conditions in central Pennsylvania, Gov. Ed Rendell this afternoon ordered the closings of Interstates 83, 78, and part of 81, as well as I-76, I-476 and I-676 in Philadelphia area and I-176 south of Reading.

Interstate 81 is closed from the Maryland line to Interstate 80.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10041/1034828-455.stm#ixzz0fAdVLP2l

I would tell your regional manager to put that in his pipe and smoke it.

If the management doesn't care about the safety of it's workers, you don't want to work there anymore.

Get home safe.

JAMAS
02/10/2010, 01:40 PM
went to move the vx for the snow plow.. slid farther sideways than i went forward, told the boss too bad im leaving, well see how it goes my next day in on friday.. but for now.. off i go into the unknown

Let us know how the drive home went.

DRIVE SAFE!

alterastro
02/10/2010, 01:44 PM
America is the country of litigation isn't it??? Go home. If he fires you, surely you have grounds to sue? Especially as you've had managers saying they agree with you??? Oh and if he asks you for a lift home....
:smilewink

AlaskaVX
02/10/2010, 02:03 PM
HAHAHAH GOD I LOVE THE LOWER 48!

If only I could still have snowdays (like in school) *day dreams*

No such thing as shutting work down due to snow here, maybe the power but not just snow.

Driving banned? Really? Who's going to catch you? LMAO you guys are funny down there. Personally I would be tearing up the roads with no one on them... That sounds like FUN! Downtown drifting here I come!

Mile High VX
02/10/2010, 02:22 PM
If the management doesn't care about the safety of it's workers, you don't want to work there anymore.

Get home safe.

X 2.

Be safe

etlsport
02/10/2010, 02:33 PM
made it home.. less than 1/8 mile visibility the whole way.. but im here.. gonna start shoveling the driveway, its up over the bottom of the front bumper

Gussie2000
02/10/2010, 02:39 PM
Good to heard you make it back home safe eric ! :yeso:

I just shovel the driveway,the walkway & side curb for the 3rd time of the day,man my back hurts :(

Florida,i missed you so much !

psychos2
02/10/2010, 02:40 PM
send some of that snow up here! There has not been enough snow to even open the snowmobile trails.It sucks !! shawn

SlowPro48
02/10/2010, 03:35 PM
completely agree, i have supreme confidence in the vx especially since the tires on it are still at 13/32 depth

If it's good dry snow, the VX doesn't even need good tires to take you anywhere you want to go. My Terra Grapplers are almost down to the wear bars and I have no probs going up the steepest roads around here. Last good snow we had I decided to go skiing while it was fresh so it was just me and the snowplows and ski bums out on the road. It was comfortable cruising along at 55 - 60 mph when there were no other vehicles nearby. Then when I got to the steep winding roads in the mountains (don't laugh westerners, that's what they call them around here) with signs saying "chains or 4WD required" - no prob there either - could come to a complete stop on a steep hill and start again without even resorting to the winter button.

The TOD is the shiznit when it comes to forward traction - BUT you have to watch yourself because with two tons of mass and a fairly narrow track width, the VX doesn't have the best lateral grip - so that straight line traction can get you in trouble when it comes time to turn!

Of course when salt and warm temps kicked in there was hell to pay - worn out tires and slush do not play well together...

ZEUS
02/10/2010, 04:01 PM
Glad you made it home, homie. You may as well take a 4-day weekend now!!!

rowhard
02/10/2010, 07:03 PM
Sorry, now I must vent. First off, Eric, glad your home safe and sound.
AlaskaVX,... Well, I'll try and be nice. First off, Alaska lives in that crap, what, 6+ months of the year. You have the equipment to deal with it. You have drivers that know how to deal with it. We in the lower 48 have boneheads to deal with, cities that are broke and have sold off the equipment to deal with it.

Back off

Gussie2000
02/10/2010, 07:25 PM
I went to sears this morning to replace my 2 years old interstate battery for a brand-new DIEHARD platinium series with 880 CCA. ( $220.00) :_wtf:

As i approach the store's parking lot across the street i saw this magnificient view:

An whole parking lot in empty conditions with untouched virgin snow,no cars were in there,my thoughts of course was: DONUTS,DONUTS & more DONUTS. :dance:

I peak into the store & saw few customers so i knew i wasn't have to wait that long (as usually happens) & headed to the empty lot. :drool2:

As soon i turn into the lot i saw this :_snowplow right behind me with strobe lights on..............:_mecker:

So getting ready to have some fun all i heard this big horn honking at me with the driver's accusing finger aiming at the exit.

I was like : What ? :mado:

-" Not even a chance my friend " the guy replay at me.

I tried to be nice with the plow truck guy :angel:,even offer him few :dan_ban:
asking him few minutes before he destroyed my dream :_crying:

But no,the plow guy was so :evil: tha he went exactly in the middle of the lot (The spot i exactly choose to start my show) dropped the plow & making few rounds.

I was so :flame2:,but so :_mecker: this guy didn't let me be me

pbkid
02/10/2010, 07:56 PM
wow gussie- that was one of the most animated stories i've ever seen...

glad you got home ok eric, i would hate to see any more VX's wrecked due to snow like last year.

and ive noticed that people here in colorado kinda have the same mentality as alaska... we are so used to driving in deep snow that when stores get closed down, everyone heads to the mountains to ski ;)

and to be honest, i've had similar thoughts to alaskaVX when it comes to highway closures... (well if you can catch me in your crown vic then write me the ticket)
it never ceases to amaze me that colorado police still drive rear wheel drive crown vic's.... it snows heavily and they are some of the worst vehicles on the road.

although, to agree with rowhard- i can understand that most of the US states arent used to heavy snow and dont know how to properly deal with it and therefore are much more dangerous when it DOES snow heavy, than us states who are used to it.

VX KAT
02/10/2010, 08:35 PM
I went to sears this morning to replace my 2 years old interstate battery for a brand-new DIEHARD platinium series with 880 CCA. ( $220.00) :_wtf:

As i approach the store's parking lot across the street i saw this magnificient view:

An whole parking lot in empty conditions with untouched virgin snow,no cars were in there,my thoughts of course was: DONUTS,DONUTS & more DONUTS. :dance:

I peak into the store & saw few customers so i knew i wasn't have to wait that long (as usually happens) & headed to the empty lot. :drool2:

As soon i turn into the lot i saw this :_snowplow right behind me with strobe lights on..............:_mecker:

So getting ready to have some fun all i heard this big horn honking at me with the driver's accusing finger aiming at the exit.

I was like : What ? :mado:

-" Not even a chance my friend " the guy replay at me.

I tried to be nice with the plow truck guy :angel:,even offer him few :dan_ban:
asking him few minutes before he destroyed my dream :_crying:

But no,the plow guy was so :evil: tha he went exactly in the middle of the lot (The spot i exactly choose to start my show) dropped the plow & making few rounds.

I was so :flame2:,but so :_mecker: this guy didn't let me be me

Good one Gussie x2! :thumbup:

etlsport
02/11/2010, 04:41 AM
nice choice on the battery gussie, when my optima goes thats what i will be getting, did you get the 34 or the 34/75? i plan on getting the 34/75 because its got the side post terminals as well as the top post, so ill use the side post to connect my amp and lights etc, then use the top post for the factory wiring

yea like i said before, the vx was not my concern, i had confidence it would get me home, which it did beautifully, i was worried about someone else on the road sliding into me, road closures, etc. and even though i consider myself to be a very good driver, anyone can make a mistake and on that much ice/snow all it takes is 1" either way and youre in a spin.

my big gripe about it was not my safety or ability to get home, it was the principle that they created an unsafe situation. we had multiple people there who had brought public transportation before the storm was bad, and then once the buses and trains stopped running were stranded. and if i didnt have such a capable vehicle, then what? the other employees who were also stuck there drove.. a 2wd ford ranger, a pontiac bonneville, a hyundai santa fe, a ford focus, a saturn coupe, and a kia sportage. i know at least a couple of people did not make it home and stayed with other folks who could pick them up... just bad and irresponsible decision making

being an automotive facility i can see wanting to stay open, like last saturday with our big storm we remained open, but the storm had already stopped, so by time i agreed to come in (i was also given an option) i knew it wasnt getting any worse. and we did have 3-4 snow plows come in needing tires or oil or wipers

Stephen Biko
02/11/2010, 05:11 AM
Sounds like a failure of management to take responsibility. Which is all too common - in a dysfunctional corporation responsibility gets defused to the point where no one feels like it is their job to do the right thing - be it looking after the welfare of employees or more generally the proper managing of the company's own health.

circmand
02/11/2010, 06:23 AM
we had some severe storms and we would send just about everyone home and keep a skeleton crew. I work in newspapers and you cant send everybody home or there is no paper the next day. In VT we had 2 feet of snow on Xmas and New Years and we were the only ones on the road. I have worked through hurricanes in Fl. and floods in PA as well. What I did was not drive unless I had to and instead of worrying about going home I would stay and work and spend the night there. A good emergency kit with food and a change of clothes with a pillow and I was okay for the night. A book or two is handy as well. Not my prefered way to spend an evening but it is far more dangerous to drive home in those conditions than to spend the night.

Gussie2000
02/11/2010, 08:34 AM
nice choice on the battery gussie, when my optima goes thats what i will be getting, did you get the 34 or the 34/75? i plan on getting the 34/75 because its got the side post terminals as well as the top post, so ill use the side post to connect my amp and lights etc, then use the top post for the factory wiring

Damn !

Didn't thought about that detail eric.
I bought the 34,i should be more smarter & had the 35/74 model because i have two amps running in there.

JNUVX
02/11/2010, 10:34 AM
I know this post is late but I think I have discovered where all of Juneau, Alaska's snow has gone. Last winter, and winters past we were the ones getting dumped on (18" snowfalls etc). And this winter? We have had one good snowfall of less than 18". It has now all melted, it is approx. 36-40 degrees and no snow in sight! I hope all you guys getting dumped on stay safe...I will be busy fastening my marmot loincloth and bear fur cape for the snow dance in the woods..

tom4bren
02/11/2010, 11:51 AM
being an automotive facility i can see wanting to stay open, like last saturday with our big storm we remained open, but the storm had already stopped, so by time i agreed to come in (i was also given an option) i knew it wasnt getting any worse. and we did have 3-4 snow plows come in needing tires or oil or wipers

Eric,

My son works at Sears Automotive & they wouldn't close either. The store was open with more employees than customers for 2 days.

Tom

etlsport
02/11/2010, 08:26 PM
Eric,

My son works at Sears Automotive & they wouldn't close either. The store was open with more employees than customers for 2 days.

Tom

i wont say who the company is for obvious reasons.. but i will say that so far ive heard of only one company who had that no closing policy... ;Db;