PDA

View Full Version : VX a "Chip" Magnet?

vt_maverick
02/10/2010, 10:49 AM
Okay I'm going to do a little venting here... a rock hit my windshield last weekend and cracked the glass. It was just a small chip along the bottom at first, but now it extends all the way from the driver's side to the passenger's side (I suspect colder temperatures are speeding the process). Thankfully it doesn't impair my vision because the crack runs horizontal just below the wiper blades.

The irritating part is this will be the second windshield replacement I've done in just over a year. Granted the insurance company pays for it, but you've still got the aggravation of being without the VX for the day because the on-site guys usually don't have our glass in stock. And the guy who did it last time did a sloppy job and screwed up the weatherstripping on the passenger side bad enough that it leaked when it rained (as T4B will recall). A tube of silicone sealant made it good as new, but it's still aggravating. :mado: Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Just curious, anybody else had this kind of bad luck with the glass?

JAMAS
02/10/2010, 11:08 AM
... And the guy who did it last time did a sloppy job and screwed up the weatherstripping on the passenger side bad enough that it leaked when it rained

Look on the bright side. At least now you have the chance to have the windshield installed right. Maybe see if they have a bullet proof option you can add.

etlsport
02/10/2010, 11:29 AM
i have hundreds and hundreds of chips in my windshield.. noticed it for the first time over the summer and thought it was a sprinkling of water over the windshield, turns out they were all tiny tiny chips in the windshield, even to my hand i couldnt feel them, but running a needle over the surface of the windshield, it caught in every single one of them, also have 2 gravel sized chips in the windshield, thankfully neither of them have expanded because i filled them with epoxy as soon as i noticed them.

i havent had the windshield replaced, but i know it was replaced at some point because it has the blue stripe across the top, which was not a factory option

Gussie2000
02/10/2010, 11:42 AM
I also have few of those annoying chips on my windshield.

I guess they were there before i bought the horse because i don't go on the highways that often to increase the chances of being poundered by those little meteorites.

Plus it's 11 old baby so it's fair to already have them

JAMAS
02/10/2010, 11:43 AM
i have hundreds and hundreds of chips in my windshield.. noticed it for the first time over the summer and thought it was a sprinkling of water over the windshield, turns out they were all tiny tiny chips in the windshield,

I have the exact same thing.

MSHardeman
02/10/2010, 12:04 PM
Oooo, I had a little rock chip a couple of years ago...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Windshield_02.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Windshield_03.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Windshield_05.jpg

Luckily that's really been my only issue. I've heard some other rocks hit the windshild, but I don't seem to have any pits or cracks (knock on wood).

Just give your windshield guy a heads up so he can order a new one for you ahead of time and make sure that he doesn't use any metal tools when taking out the old windshield. A couple of members have had a problem with rust forming around the windshield after having it replaced because the installer probably used metal tools and scraped the paint off of the windshield surround.

VX KAT
02/10/2010, 12:08 PM
I've owned mine for 13 months, and I'm on my 3rd windshield :_wtf:.....yes, aggravating, but my rural terrain (and maybe yours too?) is much higher risk with so many dirt / gravel roads. Never had this problem when I lived in suburbia in Dallas and Los Angeles. My theory?.... more people here have A/T type tires (me included) which really hold rocks/pebbles and they really fire like cannonballs at high velocity when on highway.

although.....this hasn't happened to our other cars that are driven even more on same roads.....:_thinking...kind of blows my theory...yup, VT, must be a "chip magnet"

dietz99vcross
02/10/2010, 02:29 PM
I replaced my windshield for the first time after ten years, then of course one month after, a small chip occurs, but in the past year it has not expanded at all. Now on my wife's van she has 125,000 miles and over the years the windshield has been inundated with enough pock marks that the glare from the sun is nasty. About a year ago she too had a stone hit and give the standard star spot. So now we are waiting for the crack to grow to get the thing replaced but do you think it will grow? I can only sit and wait for this crack to grow and get the new windshield installed.

vt_maverick
02/10/2010, 07:46 PM
Just give your windshield guy a heads up so he can order a new one for you ahead of time and make sure that he doesn't use any metal tools when taking out the old windshield. A couple of members have had a problem with rust forming around the windshield after having it replaced because the installer probably used metal tools and scraped the paint off of the windshield surround.

Yup, had this same problem as well. The surround piece / thingy between the bottom of the windshield and hood got scratched and/or exposed to epoxy, and the paint has since chipped and allowed rust onto the underside. Doesn't look too bad though, I'm going to ask the body shop to sand/buff/repaint that piece as a courtesy for all the problems I had last time.

tomdietrying
02/11/2010, 10:55 AM
Same problen here. I think I have four of them. Try to what etlsport suggested and fill them with epoxy so they don't grow any bigger.
Peace.
Tom