PDA

View Full Version : RC crawler video

Knivx
02/09/2010, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0LFlrQTjR8&feature=player_embedded

This is pretty cool. It's amazing how a lot of them look so real!

samneil2000
02/09/2010, 06:56 PM
That was awesome. I couldn't turn it off until it finished. I liked the Jeep at the end. Nice finish!

Moncha
02/09/2010, 08:53 PM
Very cool! If it wasn't for the RC radio parts, it would be hard to tell from the real thing.

Riff Raff
02/09/2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, that was way cool. I got so immersed watching the video that I thought the vehicles were real normal size, and that the human bystanders/spectators were actually super-giants!!! Everything seemed to be to real scale, and then seeing the human people kinda' freaked me out as giants from another planet.:freek:

pbkid
02/09/2010, 11:18 PM
ya, those are pretty rad. i would rather spend the money on a real offroad rig though...

crotchrocket
02/10/2010, 01:05 AM
i like the 'Fitness - GaGa for Tight Buns Workout' video in the suggested links more :D

But yeah, those are cool, i've wanted one for ages but i think my girlfriend would disown me !

JHarris1385
02/10/2010, 10:25 AM
What is the powerplant on those?

ZEUS
02/10/2010, 12:53 PM
Those are the Oregon boys, they all seem to do great work and have one of the best clubs in the nation. A few of them opened their own RC shop because of the gaining popularity of RC crawling. Those are technically called "scalers" instead of "comp rigs" but Scale Comps are gaining popularity as well. JH, some of the motors are brushless out-runner style units but some of them are brushed, high-turn, low RPM, high-torque motors. The hobby has evolved really quickly from the days of having to create your own, like when I got started. Back then lathe motors were used because of their design and function. Nitro (gas) motors don't work at all for crawlers because of the high RPM and heat they put out. Tech put into electronic speed controls has come a long way... again, back in the day, you had to just make something work. Nowadays tho, you can get a crawler specific ESC, hook it up to your computer and download all kinds of settings to suit your specific rig. If anyone wants to get involved in the sport - pay a visit to Holmes_Hobbies (http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php). John Holmes is an awesome guy and really knows his stuff... he is happy to help you choose different combos of setups for whatever you have or are looking at.

JHarris1385
02/10/2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I wondered what they ran to be able to go through all that mud and water. Something I really want to look into now. I have a huge denali 4x4 - but its battery op, one battery per axle so its tough to a certain point. And right now its flipping out (plug a battery in and it shoots forward without command)

ZEUS
02/10/2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I wondered what they ran to be able to go through all that mud and water. Something I really want to look into now. I have a huge denali 4x4 - but its battery op, one battery per axle so its tough to a certain point. And right now its flipping out (plug a battery in and it shoots forward without command)Are you turning on the transmitter before the receiver? That's the simple cause usually, but of course with the toy-grade Denali you have you can just expect things to give out. If you are getting interested in the sport, the rig of choice (to me) for beginners who want to take an R/C out to do just about anything is the Traxxas Summit. All it's electronics are water proof, it also has 2 speeds so you can jump stuff OR crawl over it... of course, it will cost you $500 'Ready to Run'! But you can bash it, jump it, crawl it, mud bog it, stream run it as soon as you take it out of the box and charge the battery... Traxxas is a good brand as well. Otherwise, I have seen waterproofing solutions like sealing your electronics in large condoms. And since I always have Magnums around... j/k! Balloons also work. Castle Creations offers some good brushless products that have withstood all kinds of water running. There is even a video of the motor submerged in a bowl of water... working just fine. Li-po batteries don't deal with moisture very well tho... if I remember correctly.

Marlin
02/10/2010, 04:20 PM
Great video, I showed my wife the orange sammy/raider, she didn't believe me that it was RC!!! Amazing.

Triathlete
02/10/2010, 04:28 PM
John Holmes is an awesome guy

And his movies are classics!:bwgy:

ZEUS
02/11/2010, 07:13 AM
And his movies are classics!:bwgy:HAHA! That's why I listed his name...

Triathlete
02/11/2010, 01:52 PM
How many of the "young" generation on here are scratching their head wondering "who is this John Holmes guy"?:_wtf::_thinking
Of course they are probably googling it right now!:bwgy:

pbkid
02/11/2010, 04:11 PM
How many of the "young" generation on here are scratching their head wondering "who is this John Holmes guy"?:_wtf::_thinking
Of course they are probably googling it right now!:bwgy:

damn, you older guys are smart.... and 100% right..

ZEUS
02/11/2010, 05:04 PM
Of course they are probably googling it right now!:bwgy:Hey, I threw "Magnums" in the next post! I tried to give a hint! :)