PDA

View Full Version : 315/75R-16, Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain

CrnCnn
02/08/2010, 05:07 PM
Im after opinions. I know I will have to trim a lot of cladding and all that. Does anyone honestly think they will fit?
they are 34.6 inches tall.

My friend here has them for sale. 700 for all plus wheels (Which I dont need) I caould turn around and sell the wheels.

I would like to buy them but if it is a horrible idea I wont.

Marlin
02/08/2010, 05:58 PM
Im after opinions. I know I will have to trim a lot of cladding and all that. Does anyone honestly think they will fit?
they are 34.6 inches tall.

My friend here has them for sale. 700 for all plus wheels (Which I dont need) I caould turn around and sell the wheels.

I would like to buy them but if it is a horrible idea I wont.

I had those tires on my wife's expy. One word...AMAZING. I put 22K miles, still had 75% tread.

VXorado
02/08/2010, 06:44 PM
These tires must be really wide (315), I would think the height+width may be a problem in the front with turning clearance. If you can, install them first before buying to eliminate the hassel of guessing. I would also be concerned about losing power by going this big with stock gearing.

Keep us updated, I am interested in going as big as 34" tires (I have 32.6" now) after my nittos get worn out.

BTW, I think these tires would look awesome if they'll fit

Riff Raff
02/08/2010, 09:15 PM
CrnCnn-- First off, all tires manufactured by Pro-Comp are some of the very best available on the market today. The entire line of Pro-Comp models are a force to be reckoned with.

The major problem you will have is the super wide width of the 315 series. They will rub like crazy due to the very wide "swing arc" of the 315 series. The widest series tire that fits most comfortably on the VX and minimizes rubbing within the tightly cramped front wheel wells is the 285 series width (11.5" wide). When buying any tire for the VX; try not to exceed 285 series width, as you will just be asking for trouble.

Here are my recommendations for the largest available 285 series size tires by wheel diameter for the VX:

16" Wheel (33" O.D.) = 285/75R16 (33x11.50R16) These fit best when mounted on the 1999 Stock OEM 16x7 rims.
17" Wheel (34" O.D.) = 285/75R17 (34x11.50R17)
18" Wheel (35" O.D.) = 285/75R18 (35x11.50R18) These fit best when mounted on the '00/'01 Stock OEM 18x7 rims.

I took a peek at your Photo Gallery, and see you currently run BFG A/T's that appear to still be in very good condition with a lot of tread left. So, I must ask-- Do you really "need" these tires OR are they just more of a "want" at this point??? Plus; at $700 for the set, you are well within only a few hundred bucks more for a brand new set of tires later on when your current BFG A/T's finally wear out (regardless of brand).

Further, I remember you having a desire for the KILBY "belly pan" skid plates. Rumored to be forever discontinued; I've heard from KILBY, that they will offer the skid plates for $650 (Raw Bare Metal) or $700 (Black Powder-Coat), plus P&H to your zip code if you mention you're from the Vehicross.Info forum. Just send an E-Mail to "LORENA" (Kilby secretary) for further details. That's only $100 more than what we got in the Group Buy deal.

What's my best advice regarding the used Pro-Comp's in 315 series??? SAVE YOUR MONEY, as they are just too frickin' wide for the tightly cramped front wheel wells of the VX. Try to limit your next tire purchase to the 285 series as a maximum width. If your current BFG A/T's still have adequate tread left, then perhaps re-think an alternate purchase for your VX to include the possibility of the KILBY "belly pan" skid plates (see the Photo Gallery of "VX-KAT" for awesome KILBY pictures of them installed on a VX).

Whatever your decision, spend your money wisely. I DON'T think the super-wide 315's would be a very wise decision for the VX.:noo: Just my 2-cents.:bgwb:

vt_maverick
02/09/2010, 05:22 AM
Leave it to Riff to integrate an advertisement into his answer. :laughing:

I'll caveat here that I haven't bought bigger tires (yet), but from everything I've read you would need significant cladding trimming to make it work. Dig around in the galleries or in Rickshaw's tire and rim thread, as I'm sure there are some folks running massive tires. Based on the pics I've seen, you'd probably need to cut away at least an inch or two from the front cladding. That's not a small, barely noticeable triangle on the inside of the cladding like some of the 285 folks have - it's more like cutting a significant portion of the cladding off all the way around the front (to make it looks decent IMO).

Agree with Riff and VXorado (on the loss of power issue) - doesn't seem like a good investment.

crotchrocket
02/09/2010, 06:13 AM
they would look awesome !!!

Ldub
02/09/2010, 06:51 AM
they would look awesome !!!

X-2...:thumbup:

I hope to be rollin' into Moab on 35's this year...:naughty:

Guess I'll have to re-learn vehicular capabilities & adjust...you know...like I do every winter when the snow flies.:rolleyesg.:smilewink

samneil2000
02/09/2010, 10:10 AM
X-2...:thumbup:

I hope to be rollin' into Moab on 35's this year...:naughty:

Guess I'll have to re-learn vehicular capabilities & adjust...:rolleyesg.:smilewink

Speaking of capabilities, how are those brakes working for you Dubster? You have 33's on currently don't you?

Back on topic, I have 33x12s and did some trimming, but I think it made an improvement to the looks overall. If you are going for the off-road look, it's great. If you want a stockish looking VX, don't do it. Also, my acceleration is still decent with the 33's but I would like to do lower gears at some point in the future. I imagine with the 34's you would be in a similar situation.

nfpgasmask
02/09/2010, 11:52 AM
You have the same lift as me I think. My tires are about 32"s. I bet you could fit them with some trimming.

I like the ProComps. I have the Mud Terrains on the Trooper and they are good.

Bart

Marlin
02/09/2010, 04:08 PM
That's not a small, barely noticeable triangle on the inside of the cladding like some of the 285 folks have - it's more like cutting a significant portion of the cladding off all the way around the front (to make it looks decent IMO).

Agree with Riff and VXorado (on the loss of power issue) - doesn't seem like a good investment.

The front cladding is over rated anyway...:bgwb: As for the price of the Procomps, if you wait till sep/oct, they do buy 3 get one free every year. That would put 4 tires at 800ish or less.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/CopyofDSCN7907.jpg

pbkid
02/09/2010, 04:10 PM
honestly, i would be VERY VERY surprised if you fit those on there. i honestly dont think our rear wheel well is big enough for that size of tire...

i would keep the 33's your currently running. thats gonna save your axles, transmission and transfer case on all the extra strain of those heavy tires.
yes, they would look awesome. but its not worth it....

my advise would be spend the money more wisely if you have the money to burn... IE- kilby skid plates.... front or rear locker :naughty:.....regearing.....

Scott Harness
02/09/2010, 04:35 PM
honestly, i would be VERY VERY surprised if you fit those on there. i honestly dont think our rear wheel well is big enough for that size of tire...

i would keep the 33's your currently running. thats gonna save your axles, transmission and transfer case on all the extra strain of those heavy tires.
yes, they would look awesome. but its not worth it....

my advise would be spend the money more wisely if you have the money to burn... IE- kilby skid plates.... front or rear locker :naughty:.....regearing.....

X2...You can go just about anywhere with 33's.
IMHO anything bigger is for dedicated trail rigs (rock crawlers ect)
I like the VX to be what it was designed for, "great" in all conditions
Do 100mph on the highway in comfort and take on just about any trail!!!

Ldub
02/09/2010, 11:28 PM
Speaking of capabilities, how are those brakes working for you Dubster? You have 33's on currently don't you?
33's...YES
VERY happy with the combination of Magnum drilled rotors/Indy 4x stainless braid lines & stock pads...:thumbup:

crotchrocket
02/10/2010, 01:34 AM
I'd love some 285 or even 305 wide tyres but those arch extensions are really expensive here, coupled with the extra MPG bla bla bla its a cost i don't really need !

VX KAT
02/10/2010, 09:24 AM
Remember Nerve_Gas? He was running 36s (36x13.50R16)
All his pictures are gone from gallery, but his mods are listed. Maybe scan his threads for details of how he handled the cladding.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15388&highlight=stopping+distance

Triathlete
02/10/2010, 09:41 AM
NG had 6 inches of lift...3in suspension/3in body. Front IFS 10bolt will not be happy with that size tire (unless it is merely used as a mall crawler and you don't mind pulling away from stops like a snail). just my opinion, but if you want to go larger than 33-34 inch tires the only way to go is SAS. For multiple reasons...stronger equipment, more gearing options...

pbkid
02/10/2010, 09:42 AM
Remember Nerve_Gas? He was running 36s (36x13.50R16)
All his pictures are gone from gallery, but his mods are listed. Maybe scan his threads for details of how he handled the cladding.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15388&highlight=stopping+distance
he had the calmini 4" lift coupled with a 3" body lift...

and he broke his axles so often he couldnt drive it...same problem i think clint is gonna run into.

those tires are just purely too heavy for our CV's.... you would need to swap to an SAS to do it right.

i mean, no offense to our 'big boy' offroaders but, when Jo and Dub are offroading it looks like their whole front end is ready to snap from the weight of those mudgrapplers. i've driven behind em both, and both of their VX's front wheels shake while they are driving down the trail.

pbkid
02/10/2010, 09:43 AM
NG had 6 inches of lift...3in suspension/3in body. Front IFS 10bolt will not be happy with that size tire (unless it is merely used as a mall crawler and you don't mind pulling away from stops like a snail). just my opinion, but if you want to go larger than 33-34 inch tires the only way to go is SAS. For multiple reasons...stronger equipment, more gearing options...

yup..... exactly!!
x2!

dont do it clint, i dont want to see you without your rig for months because you broke something serious...

vt_maverick
02/10/2010, 10:32 AM
I think someone said the VX for sale in Richmond, VA is NG's. If so there are four pretty good shots on the Craigslist ad:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/1552736049.html

Triathlete
02/10/2010, 05:37 PM
Yep, thats it!

CrnCnn
02/10/2010, 05:45 PM
Deep down I knew better. I guess the cheapness got to me. He has six tires and wheels for that 700. Oh well. I had NG in mind when I saw them. Oh well. Guess I'll save for some 285's

VXorado
02/10/2010, 06:08 PM
Deep down I knew better. I guess the cheapness got to me. He has six tires and wheels for that 700. Oh well. I had NG in mind when I saw them. Oh well. Guess I'll save for some 285's

Hard deal to pass up but 285s will also look great and will fit your VX better

LittleBeast
02/11/2010, 12:17 PM
Do it!!!!! I know Dub is going to go to the 35's soon and so will I as soon as my 33's need replacing. Or if someone here wanted to by my 33x12.5 20r I would need those 35's sooner ;) But yeah that is next on my list, so if you don't know that it has been done before, Dub and I are next in line, so why not? Well you have been given plenty of reasons why not, but if you really want to no one is stopping you, my vote is go for it :)

CrnCnn
02/11/2010, 05:12 PM
Your killing me Ryan... Just when I was talked out of it... I am gonna head over and roll one next to the VX and see what I think.

VX KAT
02/11/2010, 05:17 PM
Your killing me Ryan... Just when I was talked out of it... I am gonna head over and roll one next to the VX and see what I think.
....uh-oh, that's all it takes......betcha we see ya with some big meats soon! :bgwb:

Ascinder
02/11/2010, 05:50 PM
Plus Clint you have drop brackets, so your CVs shouldn't be as stressed as normal. If you're going to go look at them, bring a scale and see how much weight you'd be adding. I can shoot you a weight for my wheels which are 285's on heavy 20" rims. I think the only part that might get you is clearance, and that's nothing a BFH and or a sawzall can't fix:yesy:

pbkid
02/11/2010, 07:22 PM
....uh-oh, that's all it takes......betcha we see ya with some big meats soon! :bgwb:

or pissed that he spend $700 on something that wont fit on his ride yet..

MSHardeman
02/12/2010, 08:11 AM

You are talking about the tire.....right?:p

pbkid
02/12/2010, 01:47 PM
You are talking about the tire.....right?:p

:laughing:

Mile High VX
02/12/2010, 02:17 PM
:laughing:

What a great group to be part of....

nfpgasmask
02/12/2010, 02:22 PM
You kids and yer trees...