PDA

View Full Version : Only 3 months to Moab...

BigSwede
02/06/2010, 05:16 PM
Do you know where your wheeling rig is at? Mine is under a snowdrift...

Ascinder
02/07/2010, 09:34 AM
Mine's in the graveyard awaiting resurrection:mad:

Triathlete
02/07/2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but what a resserection it will be!:bwgy:

taylorRichie
02/08/2010, 03:22 PM
I may be going to Ovexpo in Lieu of Moab
(not that it's at the same time, but I have to choose one or the other)

My new obsession is Overland Travel, mostly reading people's experiences, build logs etc. But Overland Travel, and Motorcycle Dependent travel is neato... yep.

Billy Will you be going? I think it's only a few hours from you.

Scott Harness
02/09/2010, 12:35 PM
Who is going to volunteer to be Trail Boss on the VX RUN?!?:confused:

Triathlete
02/09/2010, 02:05 PM
I may be going to Ovexpo in Lieu of Moab
(not that it's at the same time, but I have to choose one or the other)

My new obsession is Overland Travel, mostly reading people's experiences, build logs etc. But Overland Travel, and Motorcycle Dependent travel is neato... yep.

Billy Will you be going? I think it's only a few hours from you.

To Moab..yes.
You could hit Moab on the way to or from!?!?!?!

pbkid
02/09/2010, 04:15 PM
Who is going to volunteer to be Trail Boss on the VX RUN?!?:confused:

my vote is bigswede or billy... they seem to be the most experienced in moab and being trail-bosses...

oh, and my wheeling rig is sitting in the driveway... waiting to be driven or more mod's added...

Triathlete
02/09/2010, 05:15 PM
my vote is bigswede or billy... they seem to be the most experienced in moab and being trail-bosses...

oh, and my wheeling rig is sitting in the driveway... waiting to be driven or more mod's added...

Apparently you have not read on here of my "mis"adventures.

taylorRichie
02/09/2010, 05:27 PM
Billy I was referring to OvExpo. It's in Amado, Santa Cruz County, Arizona.

http://ovexpo.com/Home.html

I'm very excited...

And it's April 16-18th... The problem is time off work... So I'll only be able to hit one or the other.

Triathlete
02/09/2010, 05:40 PM
Thats my back yard...I ride by bike in that area often...not much of a wheeling area in my book. I could recommend some much better trails. In my opinion...the area has nothing on Moab. If you search the 4xwire you will find a great write up a few of the zu guys did enroute to Moab that was a multi day linking of some trails in the Utah area that ended in Moab. t was from a few years ago.

If you do come down make sure and let me know so maybe we can get together. I will round up the locals!

taylorRichie
02/09/2010, 05:45 PM
Ovexpo is not about wheeling :D

It's about vehicle dependent travel and training. There will be a lot of world travelers, in several hundred thousand dollar vehicles :D Some $1m Unicat Vehicles even. I'm definitely going, but I haven't decided if I'm going by Motorcycle, or if I'm going by VX. Either way I'm extremely excited.

I'll get in touch with you as it approaches.

http://www.unicatamericas.com/secondhand.html

an example of some Pricey vehicles.

VX KAT
02/09/2010, 05:49 PM
Billy I was referring to OvExpo. It's in Amado, Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
http://ovexpo.com/Home.html

Dave & I went to their initial/first annual one last year, here in Prescott. Awesome! Saw some real beasts of over-land vehicles, huge, mongo things! One (Global Xpedition Vehicle) had a hydraulic spare tire lifter mechanism...to say the tire was large is an understatement. Attended a few neat seminars, and met Lance Blair of the Disabled Explorers who had lots of good info for me...plus he had a really cool blue FJ Cruiser too.
Made us seriously regret selling our D90, but then we saw several really cool FJs...so we felt a little better. You'll love the show....and I think this year it has some hands on driving stuff too.
:thumbup:

taylorRichie
02/09/2010, 06:01 PM
Sorry to pull this thread way off topic :D

I am quite excited... and There is a full on driving school going on. Which I think would be great. If I ever get a D90 I'll never sell it ;) and for FJs...

http://www.exp-one.com/fj_cruiser.html

Those are my favorite products... They're down the street from me, and I'm going in next weekend to see if they can fab up one of their Trail bumpers for me (shhh) however, they're not really confident they can do it with out mass customization and $$$ so, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Triathlete
02/10/2010, 08:15 AM
Ovexpo is not about wheeling :D

Actually, yes it is...just a differant type:bwgy: And what do you do when you are 300 miles from nowhere and you come upon a large ledge in your path? Turn around? Or forge ahead?:yesy:

Bring the VX!!!!!!!!!!

BigSwede
02/12/2010, 10:20 AM
You would have a non-VX lead the run???

Anyway, there is no way I could fill the airwaves with fun facts like Todd...I'm usually too worried about staying on the correct trail.

handeeman
02/12/2010, 12:02 PM
...I'm usually too worried about staying on the correct trail.

Oh no, you mean to tell me there aren't neat little park signs saying things like:

"Fins and Things" fine seafood dining ahead 500yds.

"Dome Plateau" Please don't feed the bald headed old men

"Colorado River" 500yds (straight down)

"Kane Creek" feel free to use crutches

"Hell's Revenge" tacos and other mexican food next exit

"Poison Spyder" Ahead 50yds...keep your windows rolled up

"Rest Area" next exit (next Rest Area 5 miles)

"Slower Traffic and Jeeps right lane only"

"Amber Alert" Missing Proton VX w/too much off-set
warning driver has dementia and will insist he is not lost....

pbkid
02/12/2010, 01:54 PM

Anyway, there is no way I could fill the airwaves with fun facts like Todd...I'm usually too worried about staying on the correct trail.

you may not be too good at filling the radio waves with information. but you definately know your way around.... you havent steered me wrong every time i've followed you yet. :thumbup:

dont worry... with 20 VX'ers im sure we can fill the radio waves with useless info to keep everyone entertained.

Triathlete
02/12/2010, 03:57 PM
Hell, we haven't even picked a trail yet!:bwgy:

Ldub
02/12/2010, 10:47 PM
You would have a non-VX lead the run??

Oh H3LL yeah...I don't think anyone cares who/what's in the lead, as long as we don't get lost too often...:smilewink

Ldub
02/12/2010, 10:49 PM
Hell, we haven't even picked a trail yet!:bwgy:

May I suggest a "bunny hill" type trail that mostly stock first timers can traverse easily...:yesgray:

Jay Dunford
02/13/2010, 05:20 AM

Since the rig count has (vx / all other Isuzus) flip-flopped in the last few years maybe we need to change it to the Non-VX run now!:bwgy:

Triathlete
02/13/2010, 11:58 AM
May I suggest a "bunny hill" type trail that mostly stock first timers can traverse easily...:yesgray:

helldorado it is then!:bwgy:

BigSwede
02/13/2010, 12:36 PM
Oh H3LL yeah...I don't think anyone cares who/what's in the lead, as long as we don't get lost too often...:smilewink
OK, well we're not doing Fins 'n Things then... although I don't think I've ever gotten lost more than once there...but always at least once!

Well let's talk about this, whether I lead or not. [gets out new, 2nd edition, spiral bound, Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel Drive Trails :bwgy: ]

I was thinking of going to Elephant Hill again, love that trail...but you guys did it a few years ago. If you guys could keep moving along we could go do the Joint Trail hike along the way, very cool. But I suspect with a group that large it would be problematic to do all that without getting back very late.

I've never done Top of the World, have you guys?

Thompson Canyon/Polar Mesa looks interesting, climbs to 8000 feet in the La Sal mountains, and starts on Onion Creek Road which offers a bunch of creek crossings early on.

Chicken Corners or Bull Canyon might be good choices.

Hey Joe Canyon might be good, except for likely brush scratches...

Thoughts?

Scott Harness
02/13/2010, 04:36 PM
I've always wanted to do Top of the World!!:yesb:

pbkid
02/13/2010, 05:13 PM
just my 2 cents.....but...

a creek crossing trail probably isnt the best thing to do for the newbie's as that generally creates 'pin-striping' that some may not want on their ride.. (i dont give a crap, i just got done ripping my mirror off)

but thats just what i think...how bout hell's revenge?? easy trail, has some challenges... stock VX should have no problems at all...always a good one for newbs (i know we have all done it a bazillion times, but for the new guys its a legendary trail)

or poison spider?? their are bypasses around anything crazy on that trail...

MSHardeman
02/13/2010, 06:48 PM
Did Top of the World a couple of Moab's ago, and it is fairly easy. I don't remember there being anything that a stock VX couldn't handle. I remember it being relatively short too (compaired to some all day VX runs of years past).

Hell's Revenge isn't too bad, but the first obsticle (mini Lion's Back) freaked the crud out of me so I would think a first timer would really wig out. I also seem to remember some long climbs that the VX can handle, but could be a little unsettling to newbies.

Just my two cents, but I'm up for anything.....almost.

VX KAT
02/13/2010, 09:06 PM
Hell's Revenge isn't too bad, but the first obsticle (mini Lion's Back) freaked the crud out of me so I would think a first timer would really wig out. I also seem to remember some long climbs that the VX can handle, but could be a little unsettling to newbies.

I was a noob and stock...I can't even recall that obstacle....maybe was just so intoxicated with the cool scenery and everything was new to me. Rubble trouble at the end of Hell's Revenge was the only part I recall as being that challenging for stock height. Didn't someone say they changed/re-routed the end of that trail and rubble trouble is no more?

VX crazy
02/14/2010, 12:50 PM
I think we should rename it, warm up day, and not vx only run since there are others in our fam that dont have vx.....and we could pick something very pretty to look at, I know the La Sal mountains are gorgeous and last year was my first time going up there, boy had I been missing out! So if we do warm up day, and pick something that we can all warm up on....I know I am nervous as I havent taken my own VX out there since 2005!! And I had a full skid plate which I no longer have......so easy with no clearance probs is my choice!

PHO2GR4
02/14/2010, 12:58 PM
It's been a couple of years, so I'm thinking about heading out to Moab again this year. What's the latest headcount?!?

VX crazy
02/14/2010, 02:46 PM
It's been a couple of years, so I'm thinking about heading out to Moab again this year. What's the latest headcount?!?

its on the calender with the other meets that go on....

VX KAT
02/14/2010, 03:05 PM
Looks like it's at 22+ but I think some have changed plans but not changed sign up. Maybe folks could take a look at the sign up and update as needed as we're so much closer now??

BigSwede
02/14/2010, 03:12 PM
a creek crossing trail probably isnt the best thing to do for the newbie's as that generally creates 'pin-striping' that some may not want on their ride.. (i dont give a crap, i just got done ripping my mirror off)

The creek crossings on Onion Creek Road are on an actual dirt road, no brush to cause striping. Maybe some angst for the buff 'n shine sorts though...

Triathlete
02/14/2010, 05:06 PM
I think the name "VX Run" is fine as the VXers "host" the run...everyone is welcome. Kind of like you don't have to have a Jeep to go to the Easter Jeep Safari.
I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.

Scott Harness
02/14/2010, 05:43 PM
I think the name "VX Run" is fine as the VXers "host" the run...everyone is welcome.

X2...We dropped the"ONLY" several years ago!

Kenny
02/14/2010, 10:53 PM
I know technically we're not supposed to formally pick trails here, but if you email me a few options, I'll plug the waypoints into my GPS from the "BOOK" and help out.

I didn't get quite lost on fins n things a few years back...
not for too long anyways...
:winkgray:

OK, well we're not doing Fins 'n Things then... although I don't think I've ever gotten lost more than once there...but always at least once!

Well let's talk about this, whether I lead or not. [gets out new, 2nd edition, spiral bound, Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel Drive Trails :bwgy: ]

I was thinking of going to Elephant Hill again, love that trail...but you guys did it a few years ago. If you guys could keep moving along we could go do the Joint Trail hike along the way, very cool. But I suspect with a group that large it would be problematic to do all that without getting back very late.

I've never done Top of the World, have you guys?

Thompson Canyon/Polar Mesa looks interesting, climbs to 8000 feet in the La Sal mountains, and starts on Onion Creek Road which offers a bunch of creek crossings early on.

Thoughts?

BigSwede
02/15/2010, 07:52 AM
I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.
Elephant Hill is a very cool trail, with astonishing scenery, and moderate difficulty. It does have the drawback of distance from Moab (around 75 miles), the National Park fee ($10), no dogs allowed, and the fact that the most difficult part of the trail is immediately at the start, which could give some newbs heartburn. However, I have encountered folks in rented Trailblazers on the trail, so everybody should be able to do it. A modest lift would be a good thing, but stockers should be OK with a little spotting in places.

Truthfully though, Elephant Hill might be best left to another day with a smaller group. If we are talking 20+, I don't see any way to have the time to do any of the short hikes like the Joint Trail or the Confluence, which are very cool. I would be happy to lead a smaller group there.

BigSwede
02/15/2010, 07:56 AM
I know technically we're not supposed to formally pick trails here, but if you email me a few options, I'll plug the waypoints into my GPS from the "BOOK" and help out.

I didn't get quite lost on fins n things a few years back...
not for too long anyways...
:winkgray:
Heh, I don't think I have heard of anybody not getting lost, at least a little, leading FnT. Fortunately when I got lost I was able to discover and correct my error pretty quickly. But somebody GPS savvy along wouldn't hurt...

BTW do you have the 2nd edition? I believe all the waypoints have been updated and improved.

Scott Harness
02/15/2010, 08:27 AM
BTW do you have the 2nd edition? I believe all the waypoints have been updated and improved.

I've got the 2nd Edition if somebody needs the waypoints.

tjh
02/16/2010, 05:18 PM
I looked online for way-points in moab ,but the ones I found seem to a bit old, like from 01. So I guess what I have isn't uptodate . If'n you have way-points to share, I'd be interested .

Kenny
02/16/2010, 07:49 PM
yup, that nice spiral bound copy.

Heh, I don't think I have heard of anybody not getting lost, at least a little, leading FnT. Fortunately when I got lost I was able to discover and correct my error pretty quickly. But somebody GPS savvy along wouldn't hurt...

BigSwede
02/17/2010, 02:24 PM
Spiral-bound rocks, soooo much easier to keep your page on the trail.

tomdietrying
02/28/2010, 07:35 AM
Did anyone reserve group site "C" at the Portal for campers yet?
Peace.
Tom

Moncha
02/28/2010, 10:52 AM
...I've never done Top of the World, have you guys?

Thoughts?

Top of the World is a very nice trip with fantastic views! It would be a good first run for anyone or a good trip for those have or have not done it. Aww hell, it would be a good trip!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/561/medium/4moncha_top_of_world_eiji_2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5487)

BigSwede
02/28/2010, 12:17 PM
Peace.
Tom

Not to my knowledge...

VX crazy
02/28/2010, 01:07 PM
Top of the World is a very nice trip with fantastic views! It would be a good first run for anyone or a good trip for those have or have not done it. Aww hell, it would be a good trip!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/561/medium/4moncha_top_of_world_eiji_2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5487)

Scott, I think that is one trail I have never been on.....

pbkid
02/28/2010, 02:17 PM

its amazing how much that looks like the top of gold bar rim... thats a great trail for a first timer! :thumbup:

it was my first trail in moab and i loved it. the only part that takes a little extra guts is the wall you have to go down. (tone doin the wall in the mercedes -'RIP')
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P1010077.JPG

Triathlete
02/28/2010, 02:51 PM

Man, you're tripping!:rotate::laughing:

VX crazy
02/28/2010, 03:50 PM
So Jack, was that Top of the World that Tone took the Benz? I cant remember doing that trail....

pbkid
02/28/2010, 04:31 PM
So Jack, was that Top of the World that Tone took the Benz? I cant remember doing that trail....

i think it was gold bar rim.
it was the VX only run in 06.

Triathlete
02/28/2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, it was Gold Bar Rim.

Moncha
02/28/2010, 09:09 PM
Man, you're tripping!:rotate::laughing:

Word shortage.... I'm gonna have to go to the bank and get some more!

Ldub
03/01/2010, 01:54 AM
Word shortage.... I'm gonna have to go to the bank and get some more!

Here ya go Boss...I had a few extra I wasn't planning on using any time soon.

truculent- feeling or displaying ferocity
deglutition- the act of swallowing
anneal- strengthen, toughen
inanition- the exhausted condition from lack of food and water
petulant- insolent or rude in speech or behavior
paucity- smallness of number
velleity- a slight wish or tendency
stygian- extremely dark, gloomy, or forbidding
quixotic- unpredictable
halcyon- calm; quiet; peaceful; undisturbed
inveigle- To obtain by ingenuity or flattery.
caesura- Any break, pause, or interruption
objurgate- To express strong disapproval of
afflatus- A divine imparting of knowledge; inspiration
camarilla- A group of secret and often scheming advisers
acerbic- Sharp, biting, or acid in temper, expression, or tone
rodomontade- vain boasting
recherche- uncommon; rare
amanuensis- A person employed to copy manuscripts
probity- Complete and confirmed integrity; uprightness
supererogatory- superfluous; unnecessary
magniloquent- Lofty or grandiose in speech or expression
perquisite- A profit or benefit in addition to a salary or wages
indelible- Incapable of being forgotten; memorable.
nutation - the involuntary nodding of one's head
perendinate - to delay until tomorrow or to delay indefinitely
balatron - a babbling buffoon
croodle - too coo like a dove

BigSwede
03/01/2010, 08:06 AM
Heh, I knew maybe half of those at best, and I have a pretty big vocabulary...

[/thread highjack]

Ldub
03/02/2010, 01:09 AM
Heh, I knew maybe half of those at best, and I have a pretty big vocabulary...

[/thread highjack]

T-J back on...:rollgray:...:ot:

I can't say that my vocab is very large at all, I just did a quick goog search for "five dollar words" & that was the first list I clicked on...:laughing: :yesgray:

Copy - paste - BAM...appear to have large vocab...;)

BigSwede
03/04/2010, 07:39 AM
Peace.
Tom
Are you going to sign us up again this year Tom?

Gizmo42
03/16/2010, 04:05 PM
Top of the world is pretty nice. Thats the trail I think I initially destroyed my shock on lol (it officially broke in bull canyon and tusher tunnel). But only because I was alone (yes I know) at 6pm with nobody else on the trail and not having done it before I didnt know what to expect and didnt want to get stuck on a ledge climbing back out. So I hit one a little hard. Stock vx should have no problem. With the short wheel base they have an advantage on that type of stuff over my rodeo. There are a few places that are kind of dug out but there were rocks stacked on the tougher parts when I did it.

These are probably the worst spots..

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XII%202009/IMG_0434.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XII%202009/IMG_0456.jpg

This one worried me the most. With my long wheel base and locker I was afraid of slipping and putting the rear tire in the hole on the inside of the curve. Doesnt look like it in the pic but leans towards the hole. A vx will have no problem with their wheelbase...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XII%202009/IMG_0458.jpg

For GPS waypoints you can d/l them directly from Wells' web site. Each trail is a separate file so may take a bit to do.

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=24

Or you can d/l a single file thanks to the guys at colorado4x4.org

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showpost.php?p=701456&postcount=5

I've never done elephant hill. Whether its the vx run or you just want to run it again this year let me know steve and I'll go.

Fins n things is much easier to follow now. Last year there were a lot of new signs up. I think the one wrong turn that everyone takes is the dead end before you get to the morning glory arch over look.

Baby lionsback isnt part of any of the trails in that area. Its a separate obsticle on the way to hells revenge and FnT. Its really not bad, just a bit scary coming down the back side the first time.

Todd Adams
03/17/2010, 07:14 AM
I posted this link on another thread but thought this is a better place. http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=33005
This is the Red Rock 4-Wheelers Easter jeep Safari Paper. All of their trails are listed with difficulty ratings and descriptions. All of these trails are so well marked that about all you need is the start location anymore. Have fun planning and I wish we could be there this year but alas work duties are getting in the way.
Todd

VX KAT
04/01/2010, 11:19 PM
BUMP!:bump::bump:
Time to think about Moab again...it's gettin' closer!!!...:LineWave:

We're still tryin' to figger out if we're goin' bring our 2 doogies......we'll probably work it out OK, looks like most trails won't be in a National Park.

pbkid
04/02/2010, 04:36 PM
BUMP!:bump::bump:
Time to think about Moab again...it's gettin' closer!!!...:LineWave:

We're still tryin' to figger out if we're goin' bring our 2 doogies......we'll probably work it out OK, looks like most trails won't be in a National Park.

i wouldnt suggest it sue... their paws have a tendency to get VERY VERY hot and burn the pads... (zeus informed me of this when i mentioned bringing bentley along for the ride)

ZEUS
04/02/2010, 04:41 PM
Menace was sore again after the trip to Moab last week but the Boxers with us were fine the whole time. His pads do get ripped up because of the slickrock but some dogs seem to deal better with than mine does. It was cool in Moab last week so I don't think his pads get burned, just shredded by sand paper...

VX KAT
04/02/2010, 05:19 PM
Good point! Thanks Justin for the other info too. Didn't have problems with that last year, but they only went on one trail (Hell's Rev), so I can see them getting burned or sore if we do 4 days like we're planning. We got those silly little tough booties for them a while back, but they stay on about 1.3 seconds, and the girls had them off.....That's it, the dewgies gotta stay home. Bummer:(

Triathlete
04/03/2010, 06:31 PM
Just heard from the EJS guys that it is snowing in Moab today!:_snowplow

BigSwede
04/03/2010, 07:59 PM
That's it, the dewgies gotta stay home. Bummer:(
Yeah, I didn't bring Cinder to Moab last year, but the desert is just not a good place for a black dog...I did miss her but other times it was nice to not have to worry about parking in the shade, being able to go going on long hikes, and to National Parks, etc. She'll be staying with friends again this year.

nocturnalVX
04/04/2010, 12:31 AM
:sighy:

Ldub
04/04/2010, 12:36 AM
:sighy:

Dude...It totally SUCKS that You & Chi-Chi aren't gonna be there this year...:sadgray:

You will both be much missed...I'm BUMMED!...:sadgray:.:sadgray:.:sadgray:

Scott Harness
04/04/2010, 07:59 AM
Dude...It totally SUCKS that You & Chi-Chi aren't gonna be there this year...:sadgray:

You will both be much missed...I'm BUMMED!...:sadgray:.:sadgray:.:sadgray:

What he said!!!

VX crazy
04/04/2010, 10:47 AM
What he said!!!

And what they said....:(

BigSwede
04/06/2010, 08:24 AM
Getting back to the VX run question, I think Top of the World is a good choice, except for one thing - it is basically pretty similar to last years run, just on the other side of the valley. Up to you guys really if that is a concern for anybody. The overlooks are supposed to be spectacular, and the difficulty is about right I think.

VX KAT
04/06/2010, 08:35 AM
Getting back to the VX run question, I think Top of the World is a good choice, except for one thing - it is basically pretty similar to last years run, just on the other side of the valley. Up to you guys really if that is a concern for anybody. The overlooks are supposed to be spectacular, and the difficulty is about right I think.
T.of T.W.- gets my vote....several folks said they'd never done this scenic trail.....just my 2 cents....:thumbup:

phines
04/06/2010, 10:22 AM
Top of the World would be a great choice for the VX run. I don't think you can go wrong with that one.
________
Granny lesbian (http://www.****tube.com/categories/654/lesbian/videos/1)

Ldub
04/06/2010, 10:48 AM
Make that three thumbs up...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As long as Sue is gonna be there to strap me...:yesgray:

vt_maverick
04/06/2010, 10:50 AM
So what's up with not bringing dogs into a national park? I bring my dog out to Cape Hatteras National Seashore all the time, the only rule is they have to be on a leash / tie-out at all times. Maybe it differs by national park?

Btw, won't make it this year (just too many bills to pay and trips to make this spring) but Tom and I are hard at work on convincing the wives for next year. :naughty:

VX KAT
04/06/2010, 11:05 AM
Make that three thumbs up...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As long as Sue is gonna be there to strap me...:yesgray:

Oh yer a funny guy! :rotate: I thought you'd be strapping me buddy...guess we'd be a push-me-pull-me, huh? :_huh:

VX KAT
04/06/2010, 11:06 AM
So what's up with not bringing dogs into a national park? I bring my dog out to Cape Hatteras National Seashore all the time, the only rule is they have to be on a leash / tie-out at all times. Maybe it differs by national park?

Here's what Justin (Zeus) told me last week.
Their reasoning for disallowing dogs in the back country is retarded. They claim the dog's feces contains rabies because of the trace amounts in vaccinations. They claim bugs eat the feces and bats eat the bugs spreading rabies and other diseases to other animals, apparently thru feces. I don't buy it, bats don't simply stay in "the back country".

VX crazy
04/06/2010, 11:06 AM
Oh yer a funny guy! :rotate: I thought you'd be strapping me buddy...guess we'd be a push-me-pull-me, huh? :_huh:

I am bringing my camera for this! Geez we are arguing who will strap who.....whats next?

Triathlete
04/06/2010, 01:09 PM
Here's what Justin (Zeus) told me last week.
Their reasoning for disallowing dogs in the back country is retarded. They claim the dog's feces contains rabies because of the trace amounts in vaccinations. They claim bugs eat the feces and bats eat the bugs spreading rabies and other diseases to other animals, apparently thru feces. I don't buy it, bats don't simply stay in "the back country".

Around here it has to do with territorialism of most of the animals. The dog fece's drives some animals out of there territory when they think something else has invaded theirs....or at least thats what I have been told.

And Top of the World would be cool with me! Never done it and its been on my list!

Scott Harness
04/06/2010, 01:28 PM
And Top of the World would be cool with me! Never done it and its been on my list!

My thoughts exactly!

BigSwede
04/08/2010, 09:09 AM
OK, sounds good to me. Maybe Dave can lead it, having done it before.

tomdietrying
04/08/2010, 11:11 AM
Top of the World sounds good.
I'll be able to notch another trail off my list.
Peace.
Tom

Gizmo42
04/11/2010, 12:41 AM
ToTW will at least be much shorter then last years. Its the other side of the river from Dome Plateau but its a much shorter trail. And it shouldnt take 2+ hrs to get everyone up one hill LOL. But its a very nice trail to do and the view is awesome. Could be a pretty good traffic jam at the top though, I dont think there is too much in the way of parking space.

Me lead? You dont have a problem with taking a wrong turn off a cliff do ya? LOL j/k. I have no problem with leading it. I lead all the trails we do here (Mike likes it in the back HA!). Hopefully I have the GPS track from last year. If not, not a big deal its not hard to find the way.

Ldub
04/11/2010, 12:45 AM
ToTW will at least be much shorter then last years. Its the other side of the river from Dome Plateau but its a much shorter trail. And it shouldnt take 2+ hrs to get everyone up one hill LOL. But its a very nice trail to do and the view is awesome. Could be a pretty good traffic jam at the top though, I dont think there is too much in the way of parking space.

Me lead? You dont have a problem with taking a wrong turn off a cliff do ya? LOL j/k. I have no problem with leading it. I lead all the trails we do here (Mike likes it in the back HA!). Hopefully I have the GPS track from last year. If not, not a big deal its not hard to find the way.

LoL...works for me Dave...:thumbup:

Up kinda late arent you?

Gizmo42
04/11/2010, 12:49 AM
Haha yeah, I have trouble sleeping at night. Get to sleep in on weekends but that doesnt help with the nights.

Battlefeild Bad Company 2 is also a bad influence LOL.

Ldub
04/11/2010, 12:54 AM
Haha yeah, I have trouble sleeping at night. Get to sleep in on weekends but that doesnt help with the nights.

Battlefeild Bad Company 2 is also a bad influence LOL.

I hear that...:yesgray:

Like the new siggy too...:thumbup:

Gizmo42
04/11/2010, 05:57 PM
Found the gps track for ToTW. You can see its much shorter then Dome Plateau. Its mostly just dirt road until about waypoint 3802 (same spot as waypoints 3902 and 4010) then the wheeling begins.

Dome Plateau in pink and ToTW in red...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XII%202009/totw_topo.jpg

Oh yea, everything up to waypoint 3801 is hwy 128. All of that should have been deleted from the track. Where the 2 trails meet is Dewey Bridge.

BigSwede
04/12/2010, 07:17 AM
Me lead? You dont have a problem with taking a wrong turn off a cliff do ya? LOL j/k.
Well it's either that or me trying to lead while reading the Book as I drive; I've never done it.

KammyB
04/12/2010, 08:28 PM
Well it's either that or me trying to lead while reading the Book as I drive; I've never done it.

Shotgun!

oh, wait. What day are you going?

Gizmo42
04/13/2010, 08:35 AM
The VX run will be tuesday the 11th.

I always have a seat open as well if anyone needs a spot. As long as you dont mind riding with an evil smoker LOL.

I'm sure I'll have to keep checking the book as well. But at least I have the waypoints and track on my gps to help keep me going the right direction. Though I do take wrong turns even with that sometimes LOL. I need a bigger screen on my GPS, the eyes are gettin old.

BigSwede
04/13/2010, 10:51 AM
Hey Kammy, you are welcome to shotgun if you are there by Tuesday, which I doubt you will be. Or any other runs of the week for that matter. There has been talk of Elephant Hill again, probably Kane Creek...who knows what else.

Jay Dunford
04/13/2010, 02:26 PM

If I remember the trail correctly, it's pretty much a straight shot without a lot of side road turn offs. Pretty hard to get off track. We could spice it up and come in or out Rose Garden Hill though.

pbkid
04/13/2010, 06:21 PM
If I remember the trail correctly, it's pretty much a straight shot without a lot of side road turn offs. Pretty hard to get off track. We could spice it up and come in or out Rose Garden Hill though.

x2... im down...

Gizmo42
04/14/2010, 11:53 AM
After taking over 2 hrs to get everyone up again and again hill last year, I'd hate to see how long it would take to get everyone up rose garden hill.

Todd Adams
04/14/2010, 04:57 PM
RR4wr's rate Top of the World a 4 going down Rose Garden. With good spotting it's no big deal. Going up is a different story rated 6.
Todd

VX crazy
04/14/2010, 06:57 PM
I wont be doing the rose garden thing....

Gizmo42
04/14/2010, 07:41 PM
Well, if I'm leading the trail "good spotting" is out LOL

I'll lead ToTW then everyone can decide themselves if they wanna do rose garden hill or just go back out.

VX crazy
04/14/2010, 07:45 PM
Well, if I'm leading the trail "good spotting" is out LOL

I'll lead ToTW then everyone can decide themselves if they wanna do rose garden hill or just go back out.

Whew!

KammyB
04/18/2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Kammy, you are welcome to shotgun if you are there by Tuesday, which I doubt you will be. Or any other runs of the week for that matter. There has been talk of Elephant Hill again, probably Kane Creek...who knows what else.
yeah, dang, really would have like to do TOW again- no I won't be there by May 11th. Kane Creek would be fun though. Probably be there by Thursday (you know, waking everyone in camp at 3am)

Gizmo42
05/03/2010, 05:46 PM
For those thinking about going down Rose Garden Hill on the way out from the VX run, I couldnt find any good videos of "real" vehicles doing it but this should give you some idea of the size of the rocks and ledges and how steep it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0P9nhXn1k

phines
05/03/2010, 08:41 PM
SWEET!!! I'm definitely taking that route. Wouldn't mind trying both directions too if someone else wants to stick around.
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

pbkid
05/03/2010, 09:34 PM
SWEET!!! I'm definitely taking that route. Wouldn't mind trying both directions too if someone else wants to stick around.

paul-
ill most likely be more than willing to stick around and play... depending on whether or not i can get used to wheeling with a clutch

MSHardeman
05/04/2010, 08:15 AM
I know pictures and video's never do the Moab terrain justice so I'm reserving judgement on the route until I get there. Either way it's going to be fun.:thumbup: