PDA

View Full Version : Fellow MTB'ers...

paultvx
08/14/2003, 10:58 PM
Got a wireless bike computer to sell for a friend. It's listed on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622085561&category=30108&rd=1

Also, if anyone needs a complete cell phone package, I've got my old phone up for sale. It's in near new condition. Works with Verizon. Email and web ready.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040691727&category=15939&rd=1

Y33TREKker
08/15/2003, 06:52 AM
Well, I just bought a Cateye for my bike not long ago, but I've already had a problem with the wiring, so maybe wireless is the way to go. I'll keep an eye on the auction and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads-up.

paultvx
08/16/2003, 12:08 PM
Y33, nice bike wonder why Trek didn't continue with it. I have a mid 90s GT Xizang.

dubsracer
08/16/2003, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, there is a company that produces all wheel drive mountain bikes. It may sound like a stupid idea, but the bikes are awesome. The all wheel drive can be turned on and off with a switch. In dry flat terrain the bikes are just like any other nice full suspension bike. But give it rocks, mud, sand or technical terrain and the bike is like a freakin mountain goat. Check'em out.
www.christini.com

Y33TREKker
08/16/2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by dubsracer
Hey guys, there is a company that produces all wheel drive mountain bikes. It may sound like a stupid idea, but the bikes are awesome. The all wheel drive can be turned on and off with a switch. In dry flat terrain the bikes are just like any other nice full suspension bike. But give it rocks, mud, sand or technical terrain and the bike is like a freakin mountain goat. Check'em out.
www.christini.com

I saw an article about those in one of the MTB mags not long ago. I guess I had expected them to weigh more than they do. Seems like a good idea though. Just like a Vehicross, the more wheels you can have moving you forward, or up, the better.

paultvx - I actually haven't had mine long. I found one a few months ago that had been purchased back in 99 but never ridden. While researching it, the opinions I saw from a lot of people (more hardcore MTB'ers) were along the lines of the design simply being outdated. I still liked it though, because like the VX, it'll do what I want it to do, and it just has a different look that in my opinion is classic and will stand the test of time. I'm still modding it, and have a few other changes I'd like to make, but I'm very happy with it so far.

Dallas4u
08/17/2003, 10:31 AM
The Trek Y bikes WERE nice for their time, but the single pivot design has become outdated as other designs (FSR for one) produce much less to non-existant pedal pump, and are also more stable. Many bike manufacturers used the mono-pivot design like the Y bikes, including Schwinn, Klein, Catamount, and many others.

paultvx
08/17/2003, 11:37 AM
The Schwinn Homegrown... those were cool.

Y33TREKker
08/17/2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
The Trek Y bikes WERE nice for their time, but the single pivot design has become outdated as other designs (FSR for one) produce much less to non-existant pedal pump, and are also more stable. Many bike manufacturers used the mono-pivot design like the Y bikes, including Schwinn, Klein, Catamount, and many others.

That's pretty consistent with what I was reading before I bought mine. As I was conducting my search/research, I emailed quite a few different Y owners that I found at various places on the net to try to get a wide range of impressions from actual owners.

One determining factor I found that applied to me was the weight of the rider. Most of the owners who hovered around the >/= 200 lb. mark did say that they experienced pedal pump while riding. Owners who were closer to my weight didn't experience near as much, and the amount that they did experience was able to be counteracted with an appropriately dialed in rear shock. (Either with or without a lock-out feature.) They weren't saying it became totally non-existent, especially when really trying to put down the power, but they felt it was definitely within acceptable limits, in their opinion anyway. I've found the same thing since first trying mine out and making the necessary adjustments.

AnalogVX
08/18/2003, 08:30 AM
Anybody here bidding on this item? I was considerng placing a bid but I don't want to get into a biddng war with someone off the board.;)

And Paul...my Homegrown still is cool:D

Y33TREKker
08/18/2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by AnalogVX
Anybody here bidding on this item? I was considerng placing a bid but I don't want to get into a biddng war with someone off the board.;)

And Paul...my Homegrown still is cool:D

I decided to stick with my Cateye for now. Good luck.

Dallas4u
08/18/2003, 10:07 AM
Go ahead and bid... I'm holding off on my XC bike build because other things need money attention right now. I'll probably finish the build this winter. Until then, DOWNHILL BABY!!!