PDA

View Full Version : Custome Center Bore ?

tjh
02/05/2010, 03:36 PM
The story : I'm looking to purchase a set of Enkei RT6 wheels. I've used the search function, and have gathered most of the information that I need . I know I want 17x8 with a 0 offset , 4.5 backspace with a 6x5.5" bolt pattern. the center bore dimension seems to be illusive. Best I could find is that it is 99.5mm . Also I've read that or wheels or lug centric. So no need to worry about the center bore size .

Anyway I went to a local 4x4 shop to get a price quote .They asked what is the center bore , and I was stumped . They offered to measure it for me, but I declined due to other pending appointments. They told me that they can have the center bore machined to match my vehicle . Yes, I am aware that people are using the 108mm bore . I would like the rims to fit as though they where made for the Vx .

Questions: what are the pros or cons to having the wheels sized for the proper bore.

What is the actual center bore size ?

Ultimately I'll end back up at the 4x4 shop and have the center bore measured, if I decide to get them sized for the VX .

Help me make up my mind. Please .

Ascinder
02/05/2010, 04:02 PM
If you don't size the wheels with the proper bore, then they simply wont fit over your wheel hubs. You absolutely need to have them at or above the 108MM bore. I'd actually recommend a little bigger(like 109 or 110) since mine were done to 108 and they scratched and stuck occasionly on my lockable hubs.

Y33TREKker
02/06/2010, 06:03 AM
Having the wheels you have in mind resized shouldn't be all that much of a problem. A good machine shop could do the work for you, and is maybe what the 4x4 shop has in mind for having the wheels resized.

Material would have to be removed from the existing centerbore area of each wheel, but that would basically amount to about 5mm of material.

One thing to keep in mind when the measurements are taken is determining if the centerbore depth will also have to be worked on. The centerbore on the wheels I had machined was enlarged from the back of the wheel, but the centerbore didn't go all the way through the wheel. There was a smaller diameter centerbore section on the front side of the wheel that couldn't be totally removed because of the design of the wheel, so we just ended up removing some material from the back side of that particular section of wheel to make room for the allen head bolts of the axle dust caps on the front axles. It wasn't really necessary for the back axles, but all four wheels still had to be machined to allow for tire/wheel rotation.