PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code 131

FuddyMucker
01/29/2010, 03:56 PM
Hi Guys
Since buying the VX (2 weeks ago) I have had the Check Engine light on, it was on when I bought it and the old owner said it had been on a few days and his local garage told him it was a broken Cat Converter. I wasn't worried about that because it is LPG converted (here in the UK) it doesn't need one to pass the yearly safety test (MOT).
I have got my hands on a fault code reader now and it shows the fault as
"P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"
Does this code show a Cat Fault or a Lambda Sensor fault?
If it is a Lambda Sensor fault then how do I know which one it is? and where do I get one from? I cant find them listed in the UK anywhere
I have cleared the code a few times but it returns after about 10 mins of driving.

Any ideas or pointers
Cheers

Sprey
01/29/2010, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys
Since buying the VX (2 weeks ago) I have had the Check Engine light on, it was on when I bought it and the old owner said it had been on a few days and his local garage told him it was a broken Cat Converter. I wasn't worried about that because it is LPG converted (here in the UK) it doesn't need one to pass the yearly safety test (MOT).
I have got my hands on a fault code reader now and it shows the fault as
"P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"
Does this code show a Cat Fault or a Lambda Sensor fault?
If it is a Lambda Sensor fault then how do I know which one it is? and where do I get one from? I cant find them listed in the UK anywhere
I have cleared the code a few times but it returns after about 10 mins of driving.

Any ideas or pointers
Cheers

Jdm vx dont have wiring or a sensor in the cat, as at i dont even run a cat anymore.

So id say the lambda sensor? is a lambda sensor an o2 sensor?

FuddyMucker
01/30/2010, 01:26 AM
yes a lambda sensor is an o2 sensor and so far I have found 2, 1 on each downpipe from the exhaust manifolds. The problem is I don't know which one is conected to bank 1 sensor 1 or even if it is broken or wether Low Voltage meens I am running to week?
Really stuck with this one....

tom4bren
01/30/2010, 06:27 AM
IIRC, if you are getting an error code, it's really telling you that the heater element in the sensor is bad or going bad. I don't think that it can actually sense that the sensor is malfunctioning.

Running with a bad O2 sensor won't harm your engine but I've been told that it can cause your Catalytic Converter to clog over time.

deermagnet
01/30/2010, 03:42 PM
Bank 1 is the right side exhaust, and Sensor 1 is before the cat. The manual indicates it's detecting a lean condition. I'd clean the MAF sensor wires first. A dirty MAF sensor has been known to throw codes for a number of us here. I clean mine once a year. Then erase the code again and see if it comes back.

From the '99 VX repair manual for DTC P0131-
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/img/img5/dtcp0131.gif

Mark

FuddyMucker
02/08/2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for your help guys
I have finally got around to swapping the 2 front sensors over with each other and the fault code has changed to P0151 now. So from this I am now sure that I have a faulty sensor.
Now the problem is getting another one....
I have only found part numbers for the 3.5l sensors, does anyone know if they are the same on the 3.2? :confused:
I have contacted a few motor factors and they dont have one listed, I also cant find any numbers on the old ones to give them.
Have any of you with a 3.2l ever changed one before or am I just being very unlucky with this truck?

crotchrocket
02/08/2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks for your help guys
I have finally got around to swapping the 2 front sensors over with each other and the fault code has changed to P0151 now. So from this I am now sure that I have a faulty sensor.
Now the problem is getting another one....
I have only found part numbers for the 3.5l sensors, does anyone know if they are the same on the 3.2? :confused:
I have contacted a few motor factors and they dont have one listed, I also cant find any numbers on the old ones to give them.
Have any of you with a 3.2l ever changed one before or am I just being very unlucky with this truck?

You might want to PM greasemonkey, he's a vehicross guru and can find you any part you need!!!