PDA

View Full Version : TOD 15/85 split problem

JNUVX
01/28/2010, 11:47 AM
I have sifted through the many threads related to TOD and haven't seen anything quite like what i'm experiencing. Maybe it isn't really an issue and I, w/my lack of mechanical experience, am worrying too much.

Here's the problem...
Below 10 mph TOD display shows only RWD active. After accelerating above 10 mph TOD display shows 15/85 split active up to 70mph (don't want to take my VX any faster than that). I have tested the TOD on ice, to which it has responded appropriately all the way to 50/50 split. Thus far, I have only checked tire psi, tire size/tread, and 4L, all of which are ok.

Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks!! :)

tom4bren
01/28/2010, 11:53 AM
The TOD split of power should be responding to wheel slip rather than speed so it sounds to me like your TOD is functioning as it should.

The TOD has electric clutch packs in it that are pulsed to provide more/less power to the front drive train in response to signals from the wheel speed sensors.

(hope I got all that right).:)

4X4 UFO
01/28/2010, 12:01 PM
I believe that the 15/85 (front to rear) split is normal as long as the rear wheels have traction. If the rears lose traction, the bias will shift more toward the front wheels.The TOD computer will also increase the split toward the front on hard acceleration (based on the throttle position sensor), but I don't believe that road speed has any effect on the system above 5 or 10 MPH.........

Randy

JAMAS
01/28/2010, 12:17 PM
Sounds like things are working as they should.

Below 10mph the TOD doesn't send power to the front wheels unless needed (ex: slipping on ice). Once over 10mph the TOD will do the 15/85 split constantly until otherwise needed.

JNUVX
01/28/2010, 12:33 PM
I should have clarified the speed factor better...haha my mistake. I was just wondering if this constant 15/85 split (up to 70mph) meant that there really was a small amount of traction loss OR something causing TOD to think there was traction loss. Thx for the quick replies! So, the general concensus is 15/85 constant split until needed?

tom4bren
01/28/2010, 01:01 PM
Yes, it's normal.

JNUVX
01/28/2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks dudes! wow..I just noticed..did I really click VX modifications for the thread category? ..unforgiveable..

Greasemonkey
01/29/2010, 10:39 AM
Hi don't forget when you push the pedal right down you trip the FWD switch and send more to the front wheels to aid steering when giving it big guns on the power
cheers
Steve