PDA

View Full Version : Main Rear Engine Seal Question

blacksambo
01/28/2010, 09:09 AM
Has any body had any experience repalcing the rear main engine seal? My Isuzu dealer wants $750.00. The tranny must be dropped to access it. Any other options?

tom4bren
01/28/2010, 10:30 AM
I've not looked at it on the VX but IIRC on most cars, you can access it if you drop the oil pan. The one time I had to replace it (on an older model car), after dropping the oil pan & romoving one bracket, you use the new seal to push the old one out.

Like I said, I have no idea if the VX is even remotely similar or if it even has a split seal setup.

crotchrocket
01/28/2010, 11:44 AM
i wouldnt have thought theres any other way to do it, you'll have to drop the tranny

tom4bren
01/28/2010, 12:24 PM
You may want to PM iamironman. He swap'd an Axiom engine into his VX so he may have more insight than anyone else.

blacksambo
01/28/2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks. Seems like drop the tranny. Has anyone tried Lucas or other main seal restoring products?

tom4bren
01/28/2010, 01:42 PM
Lucas has a good rep. Worth trying before dropping that kinda $$$ on repairs.

I rekin it's going to depend a lot on how bad the leak is.

I noticed that you didn't participate in the oil consumption poll - is this why?:)

deermagnet
01/28/2010, 01:53 PM
A quick look at the repair manual, short version-
1) Remove transmission assembly
2) Remove flywheel
3) Remove rear seal using a seal remover
4) Install oil seal using J-39201
5) Install flywheel
6) Install transmission

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=19813 (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=19813)

Mark

blacksambo
01/28/2010, 02:31 PM
Much appreciated. I have a feeling this occured because I let the VX sit for a month in a heated garage. Perhaps I should try high mileage mobil one? Am currently running mobil one 5w30. Maybe try 10w30, even though it's winter? I took a long trip to Boston yesterday and the seal was probably dry.

circmand
01/28/2010, 03:29 PM
if you have an oil leak IMHO. I would use the high mileage thickest viscosity you could find. The synthetic is super slick which what makes it so good but it is so fine it will leak where regular oil wont. A leak stop additive may help as well

nfpgasmask
01/28/2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, there's no way around it, you gotta pull the tranny to get to the rear main. Make sure they use an OEM seal, or get one yourself and give it to them. I have heard a lot of aftermarket seals are not doing the job.

Bart

blacksambo
01/28/2010, 07:07 PM
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

blacksambo
01/31/2010, 05:38 PM
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

Like all mechanical difficulties there is always a good explanation, if you search far enough. In this instance, car sat for a month and the rear seal got dried up. Then two successive long trips to Lake Placid and Boston. Oil was leaking out of the rear seal. Checked the PCV valve and it was stuck closed, even though it was changed recently. Mobil One is very slippery and will find a way out if there is one, and in this case the dry rear seal provided ample opportunity. Changed the PCV and added some High Mileage Mobil One with seal conditioners and "viola" the rear seal stopped leaking, it's moist again and responding positively to the reduced engine case pressure. Skip the $750.00 replacement job!

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 05:38 AM
WooHoo!!!