PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems...

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/13/2003, 06:58 PM
I've had this "weird" electrical problem twice before within the last 18 months; but, it only lasted about 5 minutes and it returned to normal...attributed it to a "brain fart" of the computer.

Now last night it struck again, only this time it's been 24 hours and it is still not normal. I've got an appointment with the dealer
on Thursday (8/13) at 1:00 pm...Have to leave work early for this!

Basically the symptoms are:

1) No headlights working at all!

2) No Blower motor working at all!

3) Parking lights only come on if motor is off... go out as soon as
you start VX.

4) Shift indicator on dash only displays correct gear when in
D,3,2,1....(N) is displayed as (D);(R) is displayed as (3);(P) as (2)

5) If you put parking lights on without key in ignition...normal.
If you put headlights on without key in ignition...Dashboard displays go haywire!! All idiot lights go crazy and Speedometer pegs past 120mph; odometer runs adding miles even though VX
isn't running or moving!

I hope My VX doesn't need an ExOrCiSm!
;puke2;<------remember Linda Blair???

andy454
08/13/2003, 07:11 PM
I would look at a post by Anita about her trans shifting hard. There has been a concern with the wiring harness chaffing near one of the headlights. Do a search and perhaps it will lead you in the right direction. All of the things you mentioned do not pertain to the ecm, but more on the harness side. Hope this helps.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/14/2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks Andy454; but, I already did a search for electrical problems before I posted this and saw Anita's problem. I can't rule that out yet...but, my idle and shifting is fine. My engine is running great! just the symptoms I listed above. It's at the dealership now. I mentioned the harness scenario to the technician with due credit to the VehiCross.info board!;)

As I drove into the service department...I removed my key from the ignition while in Park; and to my surprise the VX was still running! ;eeko; After I showed the mechanic...I shut off the air conditioning (switched from Auto to Off) and the engine stopped! It was then I quipped "Maybe an ExCoRcIsM is in order!"

We both agreed that perhaps the ignition switch was faulty...When I left the garage the last I saw of my Beast was the
lower dash paneling including the Steering column covering was removed and wiring plugs and harnesses exposed. Hope they put it back together right! :cryp:

Oh My GOD! My VX might be responsible for a Gigantic Power Outage spanning from Detroit, MI to NYC!!! My VX is in Erie, PA and the power went out around 4:00pm just after I left for home!
It's OUtta Control!! STOP the MADNESS! :goof::right: ;puke::nuke:
:bomb::smack:

Y33TREKker
08/15/2003, 06:59 AM
Sounds like the automotive version of Mrs. O'Leary's cow. :p

Hope you find a solution for the problem. Those weird ones are kind of hard to pinpoint from an electrical standpoint, but given time I'm sure it'll get sorted out.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/16/2003, 03:42 AM
Well, to my surprise, the dealer called today at 2:00pm Friday to tell me all was well with my VX. I stopped in after work to pick it up and get the low-down on what was wrong.

The technician told me he spent yesterday and a good portion of today tracking down the glitch. He said that a "common ground connection" located up under the dash behind the glove box was very loose. He said that as soon as he fixed it and re-attached the positive battery terminal all was well!

I only drove it 30 miles home from the dealer...but everything seems fine ;Dy;

Sure hope this nips it in the bud!

Yefim
08/18/2003, 10:29 AM
Glad it is fixed. I was browsing service bulletins for VX and came across an electrical problem similar to yours. In case if your problem comes back (and I hope it won't) you might want to look at this:

Electrical - Multiple Warning Lamp Malfunctions - BULLETIN NUMBER: IB00-04-S007 (http://www.yefim.com/VX/sb.htm)

Or maybe that's the same ground connection that your mechanic found.

~yefim

Moncha
08/18/2003, 11:59 AM
Good find Yefim!!

I'll make a link in the links section also..

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/18/2003, 01:32 PM
Nice digging Yefim...and thanks for the assist Moncha! ;)

I made a copy of that service bulletin for future reference as it sure seems like the problem I had! ;pg;

So far so good with the VX...:D

I had planned on trying to meet up with the guys in Long Island, NY; but this hiccup threw a monkey wrench in my plans...as I didn't expect the VX to be fixed on time and didn't request Monday off from work to make it back home...I might have been a little selfish in that I was doing a rain dance :dance: in hopes of postponing the meet until the rain date of 8/31....oh well...hope
they had loads of fun...maybe next time! :wave: