PDA

View Full Version : What is your VX Oil Consumption in 1000 miles? Part Deux.

lasturbo
01/20/2010, 06:02 PM
OK, emailed the bossman and stated to "do over" and I assume will delete the other thread. I have 1/4 Qt. increments now and everyone can vote now to see where the crew stands. I used all 20 available poll spots so if yours is not there, round up or round down. Thanks for the help Scott and to all who will participate! :smilewink

Ldub
01/20/2010, 06:44 PM
Woo-Hoo...as of this moment two Larrys are neck & neck @ 33 1/tird%, with mile high vx in the outside lane closing on the lead...:dance:

Techy-D
01/20/2010, 08:30 PM
I entered the 1/2 quart for my normal "every day" VX, but not sure yet about my new one. Do I get a 2nd Vote for it later???

(Just thought I could have some fun and throw another wrench into the voting system ;) )

SlowPro48
01/20/2010, 08:33 PM
I used all 20 available poll spots

Wow, Larry... that's the biggest poll I've ever seen!

OK that's it - last poll comment - I'm done I promise!

moving on to Ldub's hoarfrost thread...

Scott Harness
01/21/2010, 09:53 AM
Consumption depends on driving habits...plus I had motor changed and don't know new motors year!?!:confused:

tom4bren
01/21/2010, 12:24 PM
Consumption depends on driving habits...plus I had motor changed and don't know new motors year!?!:confused:

motor=electric

engine=gas

just thought I'd remind everyone of my 'anal retentive' nature in case ya fergot.

handeeman
01/21/2010, 12:30 PM
motor=electric

engine=gas

just thought I'd remind everyone of my 'anal retentive' nature in case ya fergot.

Man I can't believe I'm gonna pass up this opening....but
"I have no response to that"

Scott Harness
01/21/2010, 01:43 PM
motor=electric

engine=gas

An electric locomotive still has an engine up front:p
I think there is a car show on tv called Motor Week:p
B+B voice on..."he said anal... ha ha he he snort"

tom4bren
01/21/2010, 01:49 PM
I stand corrected

I was right but ...

Thread Jack over:)

Scott Harness
01/21/2010, 02:16 PM
I was right but ...

Okay I got out the dictionary(learn something new everyday):p
Engine:french..in+gignere...to beget
ingenuity
evil contrivance
something to effect a purpose
a mechanical tool
an instrument of war
a torture implement
way down the list...a railroad locomotive
Motor:french...one that imparts motion, Prime mover,Internal combustion engine... t/j over also, too much coffee today

VX crazy
01/21/2010, 02:24 PM
sorry you forgot 3/4 a quart for the 2001, and that is what I need to select.....lol

lasturbo
01/21/2010, 02:52 PM
sorry you forgot 3/4 a quart for the 2001, and that is what I need to select.....lol

I know, I know Lisa.... ran out of spots. Put it down as a half I guess! This is not completely scientific, only some fun to see what the others are consuming! Take care!

samneil2000
01/21/2010, 05:50 PM
If my VX drank 2 quarts for 1000 miles, I'd fix it. That's insane!

VX crazy
01/21/2010, 05:55 PM

Ditto that....

lasturbo
01/21/2010, 07:38 PM

What would U fix??

samneil2000
01/21/2010, 08:37 PM
What would U fix??
I'd short block it or something... (I know, easy to say because I don't have that issue)
I might forget to add oil and let it blow up. Then I'd have to do something. Keep in mind my VX is a play toy and not a daily driver. I have not been in it since last Saturday.

johnnyapollo
01/27/2010, 05:33 AM
motor=electric

engine=gas

What about Ford Motor Company or General Motors Corporation?

tom4bren
01/27/2010, 05:48 AM
And you think Ford & GM got it right because ... ???

Mile High VX
01/27/2010, 05:55 PM
And you think Ford & GM got it right because ... ???

They can't be wrong about everything can they?

This is about all that's left...

lasturbo
01/29/2010, 06:25 PM
Bump......:bump: We have 46 so far!! We have more VX's than that so please vote so we can guage the consumption. Thanks for voting!!!
:thanx:

Leah
02/02/2010, 09:13 PM
I guesstimated 1/4 of a quart only because I know that by the time the 3000 mile mark rolls around, I'm down a quart. Where did it go? Is someone siphoning it out when I'm not looking??

Sprey
02/02/2010, 09:20 PM
Id vote but theres no 97-98 :p, Im guessing thats cause Jdm v6s dont suffer from the oil?

johnnyapollo
02/04/2010, 05:36 AM
Not enough numbers here for a real sampling, but so far it's quite interesting. The way people are always talking about it I thought pretty much all VXes use some oil - however the poll shows about 40% use none at all.

-- John

tom4bren
02/04/2010, 05:58 AM
however the poll shows about 40% use none at all.

Only in subjective terms. EVERYONE who drives and internal combustion engine vehicle uses/burns/loses some oil. My VX just stays between the marks on the dipstick between oil changes so I voted for 'no oil consumption'.

psychos2
02/04/2010, 12:16 PM
Only in subjective terms. EVERYONE who drives and internal combustion engine vehicle uses/burns/loses some oil. My VX just stays between the marks on the dipstick between oil changes so I voted for 'no oil consumption'.

If it moves at all on the dipstick you are using oil. If it goes to the bottom mark that is one qt. If it goes down to half way between the marks that is 1/2 qt. shawn

tom4bren
02/04/2010, 01:32 PM
Well then, if we're gonna get all 'anal retentive' then let me rephrase:)

I didn't want to admit this ... Y'all are gonna kill me.

I change the oil religeously ... once a year. I've never had to add a quart between changes.

If Y'all are starting to line up to give me virtual slaps, you may want to start another thread so this one doesn't get totally jacked.

In my own defense ... that's the way I've always done it & I've always put about 200K miles on a vehicle before I retire it so I must be doing something right.

handeeman
02/04/2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't want to admit this ... Y'all are gonna kill me.

I change the oil religeously ... once a year. I've never had to add a quart between changes.

If Y'all are starting to line up to give me virtual slaps, you may want to start another thread so this one doesn't get totally jacked.

I don't think I woulda told that on here.

I can't wait to get the "Virtual Slap T4B" thread started!!!!!1
Maybe we could sell virtual slaps for like .25 each....I'll betcha that would put Moncha over the monthly goal in a week.

Back on topic, I checked my oil again today and I'm now about 1/2 qt. low in just 2800 miles.

tjh
02/04/2010, 05:41 PM
Ok I'm putting down .5 quart . So when oil is changed I usually will see no oil burn for about the first 1,200 miles. After that it could be any where from .25 to .5 or zero quarts within as little as 300 miles . I'm on mobil one and I seafoam crankcase @ every oil-change. I will be dropping mobil one next oil change , I'm going to try rotella 5w40 .

Yes , I am erratic with the skinny pedal.

atilla_the_fun
03/25/2010, 10:53 AM
I'm at .5-1 quart after a 1200 mile drive back to MN. I'm using Rotella 10W-30 synthetic blend, but I want to switch to 15w-40

Could people list what oil weight they use?

VXR
03/25/2010, 03:26 PM
I use 5W-30 Mobil 1:yesb:

Cobrajet
03/25/2010, 04:13 PM
I use 5W-30 Mobil 1:yesb:Ditto!

kodiak
04/08/2010, 07:54 AM
X3

I use 5W-30 Mobil 1:yesb:

Greasemonkey
05/15/2010, 02:54 PM
Hi i don't suppose you could conver to liters could you as i have no idea what a quart is
And i use 5w/30 Vauxhall synthetic long life oil - which is better quality than Mobile One and i use .6-1.0 of a liter per 1000 miles depending if i am off roading or road driving
cheers
Steve

Mile High VX
05/15/2010, 08:06 PM
1 liter is equal to 1.057 quarts...so they are very close to being the same.

RamAirZ
05/21/2010, 09:15 PM
Mine seems to eat about a quart, maybe a tad over a quart in 1000 miles. Still working on fixing that lol. small oil leak probably doesn't help much either.

Ldub
05/21/2010, 09:28 PM
Hi i don't suppose you could conver to liters could you as i have no idea what a quart is
Steve

http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/liters-to-quarts.htm

:smilewink

That's why algore invented the internet...:yesgray:

VXR
05/21/2010, 11:14 PM

:yesb::confused::yesb:

Scott Larson
05/23/2010, 07:24 PM
Amsoil 10w30 Synthetic is my nectar of choice, the VX seems to like it too...

SuperBoomTurbo
05/24/2010, 09:26 AM

"isn't that pronounced E-Gor?" "No, its I-Gor."

Young Franken-steen :bgwo:

I can't help it, I'm always on "random"

Ldub
05/24/2010, 09:57 AM
"isn't that pronounced E-Gor?" "No, its I-Gor."

Young Franken-steen :bgwo:

I can't help it, I'm always on "random"

Oh, it's definitely I-gore...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/abby-normal.jpg

VX KAT
05/24/2010, 10:10 AM
Oh, it's definitely I-gore...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/abby-normal.jpg

"Abby somebody" :thumbup:

SuperBoomTurbo
05/24/2010, 10:27 AM
Who's Abby Normal?

VX KAT
05/24/2010, 11:32 AM
Who's Abby Normal?
It's what Igor says to Dr. Frankensteen when he's asked what brain he got from the lab...."I don't know, somebody named Abby Normal"...get it??..AB NORMAL?:laugho::laugho:

SuperBoomTurbo
05/24/2010, 11:44 AM
My sarcasam wasn't relayed through the internet. it's 'Algore's' fault.

Anyway, to the subject at hand, I have no idea what the PO used in the 99 astral but it's all still in there after about 1200 miles (except the damn dipstick is ridiculously hard to tell with... Looks like Guinness at every fill-up on the stick but clean on paper. Brilliant!) Since our other two cars get Castrol Syntec 5-50, I'll probably start buying it by the case (Eek! $6 a quart not on sale... Gulp!!)
I tried Mobil 1 in a 20 year old 240sx but it kept eating the stuff at a quart every three months. Royal Purple was worse!!

Anybody dig Castrol for their yahzu?

RamAirZ
05/24/2010, 12:59 PM
I'm currently running castrol GTX in mine but gonna be switching to rotella soon

PK
05/24/2010, 03:28 PM
I run Castrol Magnatec 10W40.
Have done in all my petrol powered cars for years.
Never any oil usage in any of them.

PK

FlyingV77
05/29/2010, 08:23 PM
new moter about to hit 12,000mi in only 5 months (used to take amlost two years to do that). next oil change im switching to amsoil. when we finaly got all the leaks fixed we havent seen any consumption.

ND92
01/11/2012, 11:35 AM
how well does rotella work?
and what weight would you recommend?

nfpgasmask
01/11/2012, 02:18 PM
I'm switching right now to Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic Diesel oil, 5W40. I'm probably going to do a half and half mix next oil change, and then add Rotella as I burn oil, and then go full Rotella after another 6000 miles or so.

Bart

VXobsession
01/11/2012, 06:44 PM
I'm burning 1/4 every 1,500 miles. I've been using Rotella full synthetic 5/40 for the last few months and I'm burning much less oil that I was before. But I know I also have a leak....

H3_VX
01/12/2012, 10:42 AM
I haven't noticed any issues so far, but I've only owned for 6 months. Previous owner said no problems with this either.

AnalogVX
01/21/2012, 05:38 PM
Sometimes it dont use any oil in 1000 miles, other times it'll use a quart in a week. Been like that for 10 years, 150,000 miles.

JRandall
02/10/2012, 03:45 PM
I am at about 1 per 1000 but I know most is because of a leak. I haven't been able to track it down though..

deermagnet
02/10/2012, 04:20 PM
Mine uses plenty of oil, but it's not very predictable. Countless times I had the oil in hand sure that I would have to add and it was full. Other times I would be sure it's still full and I have to add a good chunk.

That's why you need to check it almost every day. During the warmer months when I'm off work I will check it every single day before heading out. I will never be one of the many owners who lost an engine simply due to low oil.

Check your oil today, check it tomorrow, check it the next day. Check it again. Check it some more. Check it in the morning, check it that night. Check your oil level as often as you possibly can. This point cannot be overstated. Please check your oil level every day.

I checked my oil yesterday and it was full. I didn't drive very far, but today I realized I hadn't checked it yet and I parked in a nice level spot at Walmart and checked my oil when I came out. It was still full. Peace of mind. :yesy:

Nobody has checked their oil more than me and look how far I've gotten just by keeping my oil full. I check it so much I even broke the dipstick from all the flexing.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx2/1048.jpg

If your dipstick hasn't broken yet, you're not checking your oil enough. ;Dy;

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

Gussie2000
02/10/2012, 05:33 PM
LOL mark you are funny !!!

On the serious side i'll back up your statement as to check your oil every single day.

Since i begin working about 50 miles away from my house my odo is running up fast on miles to the point that the horse is already on the 92K numbers

The engine seems to be burning more oil then before i started working that far,i currently use like 1 Qt every week or so.

Rotella have excelent reviews by customers going from ford to dodge/RAM

I personally use rotella 15-w40 but only on the warmer season (spring-summer) due its heavy viscosity it takes longer to warm up in colder months.

Ldub
02/10/2012, 08:36 PM
Mine uses a plenty of oil, but it's not very predictable. Countless times I had the oil in hand sure that I would have to add and it was full. Other times I would be sure it's still full and I have to add a good chunk.

That's why you need to check it almost every day. During the warmer months when I'm off work I will check it every single day before heading out. I will never be one of the many owners who lost an engine simply due to low oil.

Check your oil today, check it tomorrow, check it the next day. Check it again. Check it some more. Check it in the morning, check it that night. Check your oil level as often as you possibly can. This point cannot be overstated. Please check your oil level every day.

I checked my oil yesterday and it was full. I didn't drive very far, but today I realized I hadn't checked it yet and I parked in a nice level spot at Walmart and checked my oil when I came out. It was still full. Peace of mind. :yesy:

Nobody has checked their oil more than me and look how far I've gotten just by keeping my oil full. I check it so much I even broke the dipstick from all the flexing.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx2/1048.jpg

If your dipstick hasn't broken yet, you're not checking your oil enough. ;Dy;

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

If the Boss ever decides to put a sticky @ the top...I wholeheartedly recommend this to be the first...:thumbup:

My oil usage is almost identical.

Chopper
02/11/2012, 03:20 AM
If the Boss ever decides to put a sticky @ the top...I wholeheartedly recommend this to be the first...:thumbup:

My oil usage is almost identical.

ditto......it'll use nothing for months and thousands of miles. Then it drops a half quart in a hundred miles. Always been that way, and it leaks nothing. Check it like an OCD guy is the only solution I can think of

89Vette
02/26/2012, 06:13 PM
That sounds like condensation building up (water) until it gets hot enough or hits the right condition to "boil" it off. I believe this is fairly common in cars where shorter trips are the norm.

What happens is condensation builds up and replaces oil as it's "used up" or drips. That's what makes it APPEAR to keep a steady level reading. Then, when the conditions get right, water (floating on the surface of the oil in the oilpan) flashes off and gives that sudden drop in reading.

SlowPro48
06/13/2012, 10:31 PM
Then, when the conditions get right, water (floating on the surface of the oil in the oilpan) flashes off and gives that sudden drop in reading.

Water must be a lot lighter in Kansas. And oil temps a lot lower...:bgwb:

Maddawg
01/02/2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah, noticed early on that my VX was consuming about a quart every 1000 mi. :madgray: Thats been going on for about the last 4 years. However when I checked it last time, a couple weeks ago, only needed 1/2 a quart. :confused:

OMG, its healing itself! :p

HeckaTrebeka
01/02/2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah, noticed early on that my VX was consuming about a quart every 1000 mi. :madgray: Thats been going on for about the last 4 years. However when I checked it last time, a couple weeks ago, only needed 1/2 a quart. :confused:

OMG, its healing itself! :p

Could by that you're driving differently? Different speeds? I noticed that if I keep it at 60 mph or lower, then I don't burn nearly as much oil than if I hit 70 or higher.

Maddawg
01/02/2013, 01:31 PM
Could by that you're driving differently? Different speeds? I noticed that if I keep it at 60 mph or lower, then I don't burn nearly as much oil than if I hit 70 or higher.

Possible, but I always thought that would only effect gas mileage? :confused: But no, I drive pretty consistantly.

FenderBender
01/03/2013, 04:25 PM
When i first got my VX the PO said he ran synthetic oil. I ran castrol 5w 30 synthetic. I went through around 2 1/2 quarts in 3,000 miles. I did not change the pvc valve. The last oil change I changed the pvc valve, switched to Valvoline 10w 40 High Mileage non synthetic oil. I have around 1500 miles on it and only used about a 1/2 quart. Not sure if it is the new pvc valve, (old one did rattle like it was not plugged up) or if it is the thicker oil, or if it is because of the high mileage non syn. oil, or the additives int the high mileage blend?
My VX has 120,000 miles on it and has the original engine as far as I know.
I have no problems with it starting parked outside in single digit weather with the thicker oil.

nfpgasmask
01/03/2013, 04:33 PM
I have long considered the possibility that it is synthetic oil that causes oil burning.

Bart

Maddawg
01/03/2013, 05:20 PM
When i first got my VX the PO said he ran synthetic oil. I ran castrol 5w 30 synthetic. I went through around 2 1/2 quarts in 3,000 miles. I did not change the pvc valve. The last oil change I changed the pvc valve, switched to Valvoline 10w 40 High Mileage non synthetic oil. I have around 1500 miles on it and only used about a 1/2 quart. Not sure if it is the new pvc valve, (old one did rattle like it was not plugged up) or if it is the thicker oil, or if it is because of the high mileage non syn. oil, or the additives int the high mileage blend?
My VX has 120,000 miles on it and has the original engine as far as I know.
I have no problems with it starting parked outside in single digit weather with the thicker oil.

After discovering the oil useage I swithed to 10W40, not the High Mileage though. Didn't notice any difference. Even a new PVC valve had no effect.

Anyway, the multi-grade oil shouldn't give you a problem with the low temp, just don't try that with straight 40W. I did that once when I was a dumb first time car owner. Oh well, it started again in the Spring, lol.

Maddawg
01/03/2013, 05:22 PM
I have long considered the possibility that it is synthetic oil that causes oil burning.

Bart

Could be, but I have never used synthetics. Crap, it could get worse? :(

evillecutter
01/04/2013, 09:32 AM

Bart

i dont use synthetic and all mechanics that i have talked to say with this problem synthetic might be a little better but would almost certainely make no difference just cost more for the oil - apparently the structure of the oil makes no difference its how our engine circulate and cool it - if we had no emissions comtrols on this vehicle it might be another story however

SilverBullet75
03/28/2013, 11:29 AM
Mine just recently started consuming oil.

I have an idea...

There is an engine flush product on the market that is basically a solvent that you add to the crankcase will full oil level.
You run it at idle for a few minutes, then drain it and change the filter and oil.
It's intended to remove sludge and other build-up.

Wouldn't this help clear the oil drain holes on the pistons, since that is the culprit anyway?
Thoughts?

Here is a link:
http://www.eastwood.com/fast-motor-flush-30-fl-oz-12-pack.html?srccode=ga220010&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=zzproduct_ads&adtype=pla&kw=&matchtype=&network=g&creativeid=15752129847&placement=&producttargetid=40408680447&gclid=CKz7vP-EoLYCFZGiPAod8SwAHA

JAMAS
03/28/2013, 12:31 PM
Mine just recently started consuming oil.

I have an idea...

There is an engine flush product on the market that is basically a solvent that you add to the crankcase will full oil level.
You run it at idle for a few minutes, then drain it and change the filter and oil.
It's intended to remove sludge and other build-up.

Wouldn't this help clear the oil drain holes on the pistons, since that is the culprit anyway?
Thoughts?

Here is a link:
http://www.eastwood.com/fast-motor-flush-30-fl-oz-12-pack.html?srccode=ga220010&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=zzproduct_ads&adtype=pla&kw=&matchtype=&network=g&creativeid=15752129847&placement=&producttargetid=40408680447&gclid=CKz7vP-EoLYCFZGiPAod8SwAHA

I like the idea, but I would trust one of the BG products first. They have a few that are listed to do the same thing.

VX KAT
03/28/2013, 06:12 PM
I like the idea, but I would trust one of the BG products first. They have a few that are listed to do the same thing.

Doesn't the stuff many forum members say they've used (Seafoam and a Amsoil Engine flush) do the same thing?

I've used Seafoam once and the Amsoil once.

Ldub
03/28/2013, 06:37 PM
:_confused..:_wrench:

I've used seafoam every 2-3 oil changes(as a crank case solvent, before draining the old oil) for most of Suzy's career as my daily pony...she still likes about 3/4 of a quart every 1000, whether it be lead foot'n around back & forth to work, all hiway to & from Moab, or grunting up & down trails...:_confused

She likes 1.5 qt every 2000...so...basically 2 qt between changes.

CowboyErik
03/29/2013, 08:21 AM
drain back holes in rings are supposed to be lacking in some VX engines; I thought it was limited to 1999 versions but from the poll looks like not

psychos2
04/14/2013, 06:50 PM
when my vx was using a lot of oil it was the pcv valve. I had put a new pcv valve in and used 2 qts in 1000 miles. got rid of the pcv valve by plugging the hose and putting a filter on the valve cover. went back to 1 qt every 3000 . with mobil 1 synthetic. there is no baffle in the valve cover and if the pcv valve sticks open it will suck oil and burn it . you will not notice it because the cat will burn it and no smoke will show in the exhaust. shawn

CowboyErik
12/15/2013, 08:51 AM
my 99 astral burns so much oil I think they thing just wants to regulate it's oil changes!

evillecutter
12/16/2013, 08:56 AM
my 99 astral burns so much oil I think they thing just wants to regulate it's oil changes!

x2

tom4bren
12/16/2013, 09:50 AM
when my vx was using a lot of oil it was the pcv valve. I had put a new pcv valve in and used 2 qts in 1000 miles. got rid of the pcv valve by plugging the hose and putting a filter on the valve cover. went back to 1 qt every 3000 . with mobil 1 synthetic. there is no baffle in the valve cover and if the pcv valve sticks open it will suck oil and burn it . you will not notice it because the cat will burn it and no smoke will show in the exhaust. shawn

Actually there is a baffle. A metal plate runs almost the full length of the left valve cover. But yer 1/2 right. There's no baffle on the right side so if you leave your oil fill cap off by accident, you'll get a nice rust protective coating of oil all over your engine compartment.

I've also removed the PCV but I used an oil catch can instead of the filter thinggy you described.

evillecutter
12/17/2013, 06:20 AM
i really want to try the breather or catch can method but i have one thing stopping me - i dont understand how either would be helping - if the burnt oil is going out the breather instead of into and out of the exhaust, you are still losing oil and i would figure you would need to clean the breather filter constantly - the catch can is doing the same thing as the breather but catching in in a canister which if not recirculated you are still essentially losing that oil - i know i must be wrong but im too stupid to figure out where

tom4bren
12/17/2013, 06:41 AM
yer not wrong ... just evil:)

Our biggest problem is the oil drain holes in the rings. Nothing is going to fix that other than an overhaul. You can minimize the problem though by adding a detergent just before every other oil change ... basically just keeping the insufficient holes operating as best they can.

Another problem is the PCV valve. It gets clogged so easy & that ain't good. The vent filter or the oil catch can merely replaces that valve with sumpn that doesn't get clogged so easy. In my case I installed the catch can alla way over at the airbox. This gave me a fairly long (& uphill) run on the hose coming from the valve cover (where the PCV usta be mounted). I'm fairly certain that it's allowing much of the vaporized oil in those gases to condensate on the inside of the hose & trickle back down into the valve cover. That's why I'm not collecting much if any oil in my catch can.

evillecutter
12/17/2013, 07:54 AM
so with the canister it actually IS reusing some of the oil that would have been lost - that makes sense - im more likely to try the breather first but that seems like it would just vent the burnt oil into the engine bay instead of out the exhaust... then again my old firebird had a breather on the valve cover and it never burnt a spec of oil

side note - everytime i go to advanced auto the guys there want to talk about the vx - same 3 guys - they all have tuner cars and some of them are models ive never heard of or weird imports that are called something different across the oceans - they keep telling me to basically dismantle the entire emissions system on the vx - apparently these guys dont use any type of egr or pcv or even cat converters - they say not only does it help with stupid stuff like oil burn but you also usually get dramatic performance gains without the emissions crap - if i keep the vx and continue to live in indiana where emissions are not regulated on vehicles i might look into this

tom4bren
12/17/2013, 09:26 AM
so with the canister it actually IS reusing some of the oil that would have been lost

Not on purpose ... but that seems to be the way it worked out.

Emissions removal: Save the parts you remove. You know how lawmakers like to change stuff on you at the least convenient moment.

evillecutter
12/17/2013, 12:54 PM
Emissions removal: Save the parts you remove. You know how lawmakers like to change stuff on you at the least convenient moment.

i work for the govt - i know this all too well

i would go just rogue and the vx will be for pillaging and/or supply raids

i wont end up taking off the emissions stuff any time soon anyways its my daily driver and i dont know enough about it to risk screwing something else up

tom4bren
12/19/2013, 05:42 AM
It's a nice thought though!!!

I feel ya, working for the Gubmint. I are a 30+ year veteran of the Civil Service meself.

evillecutter
12/20/2013, 07:10 AM
on a positive note - i have been checking my oil even more regularly since the new egr and pvc were installed - it ate oil like normal for about 100 miles but now i have went another 100 with no usage - im hoping its not a fluke - ive never went that far without the gauge dropping since ive owned it

evillecutter
12/27/2013, 06:33 AM
another 100 miles and its back to normal - maybe a little less than normal usage - looks like that little bit without usage was indeed a fluke

does make me think that something had to go right for it not to use oil for a bit - now if i could just figure out what went right....:_confused

Maddawg
12/27/2013, 09:18 AM
another 100 miles and its back to normal - maybe a little less than normal usage - looks like that little bit without usage was indeed a fluke

does make me think that something had to go right for it not to use oil for a bit - now if i could just figure out what went right....:_confused

Ahh, fergeddaboutit! Mine did that too (once). Then back to the usual quart every 1000 miles. At that rate I dont bother to change my oil, just the filter.

Maddawg
02/04/2014, 12:17 PM
Ok, it did it again (twice now) and coincidentally a year ago. Checked it my usual 1000 miles and it was only less than a 1/4 quart down from full. Go figure.

Mile High VX
02/04/2014, 04:12 PM
Ok, it did it again (twice now) and coincidentally a year ago. Checked it my usual 1000 miles and it was only less than a 1/4 quart down from full. Go figure.

Happy oil consumption relief day...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

circmand
10/30/2014, 08:02 AM
yer not wrong ... just evil:)

Our biggest problem is the oil drain holes in the rings. Nothing is going to fix that other than an overhaul. You can minimize the problem though by adding a detergent just before every other oil change ... basically just keeping the insufficient holes operating as best they can.

What type of detergent do you use?

Cobrajet
10/31/2014, 10:43 AM
What type of detergent do you use?

PROTON, of course!!

http://www.warewashers.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/3/thumbnail/250x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/3/1366966853-69010500_3.jpg

circmand
10/31/2014, 11:08 AM
PROTON, of course!!

http://www.warewashers.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/3/thumbnail/250x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/3/1366966853-69010500_3.jpg

Love it and as a Proton owner will use it.

Ldub
03/30/2015, 05:05 AM
The Ironman I recently aquired is a real thirsty girl...as in: almost a quart per hundred miles...:uhohgray:

When I get a chance, my plan is a couple quarts of Rotella + a pint of Seafoam in the crank case for 1-2C before the next oil change.

Then go through the PCV system & treat her to a new PCV valve. (looks like the orig still in there...with 152K on the clock)

tom4bren
03/31/2015, 10:03 AM
DUDE!!!!

Oil catch can alla way

ipd
10/14/2015, 08:14 PM
Well I just had the oil changed on my 1999. Ran 2000 miles total after purchase, and had the original (date of purchase) oil changed when I arrived in Phoenix, about 400 miles later. Changed it again after arriving in Utah. Dipstick still showed full, no signs of leaking, afaik. I'll be changing mine every 3k miles regardless. I swear by Rotella T6.

Mile High VX
01/08/2016, 05:12 AM
I've switched to Rotella T6 for the last two changes as well as using BG EPR (109)...I've reduced my oil use by 50% down to about 1/2 quart every 1000 for the OEM spec of 1 quart per 1000.

VXorado
01/08/2016, 07:38 AM
I've switched to Rotella T6 for the last two changes as well as using BG EPR (109)...I've reduced my oil use by 50% down to about 1/2 quart every 1000 for the OEM spec of 1 quart per 1000.

Me too, recently found Rotella T6 at Walmart for a reasonable price. I'm hoping the Rotella can help clean up my engine and reverse the oil burning woes.

Mile High VX
01/08/2016, 10:59 AM
I think that what confuses me the most about this issue is that I'll go a few tanks of gas with almost no usage and then hit a period where it uses a half quart in 5-6 days. I'll top it off and then back to no usage for a while. Just seems to be so inconsistent that I don't understand what would cause it to be like that.