PDA

View Full Version : brake pads/rotor change

dutchie
08/12/2003, 11:02 PM
I was wondering, if it`s my driving style or the VX`s pads, but I have to change my front pads almost every 10000k! And today I heard that my front disk rotors are due for replacement!
A joke which will cost me $600,-.
I have 60.000 k on the meter, is this normal(not the price, but the fact that the rotors have to be replaced after 60k)?:(

johnnyapollo
08/13/2003, 03:46 AM
Hey Dutchie,

That seems like an awful lot of wear on both the pads and rotors. I know there are others on this board that have gone that same distance on the same pads, and they seem to keep going on strong.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same amount of wear?

-- John

kpaske
08/13/2003, 05:26 AM
I've got over 70K on mine and I've only changed pads once - around 50K I believe.

WormGod
08/13/2003, 08:51 AM
Ya, that definately doesnt seem right dutch. For your wallet's and perhaps even your safety's sake, I would check on those with someone who knows what they are doing to see if there is some sort of problem. I am at almost 16k miles now and I still have quite a bit of life in my brakes.... and I do a LOT of city driving, which means I am riding my brakes most of the time.

dutchie
08/13/2003, 08:55 AM
thanks guys, I`ll go to another shop to have it checked out and get a second opinion.
Again thanks for the quick responses!

Triathlete
08/13/2003, 10:52 AM
Could be your brake man just wants to pad his wallet! The holidays are right around th corner you know!:mado:
I think I'd get a second opinion.

Yefim
08/13/2003, 12:06 PM
I changed my front OEM pads when I hit 60K. Rear pads where still about 60-70% goodbut fronts where worn out. I changed them myself, rotors were fine - total cost about $40 for the pads.

Andrey
08/13/2003, 04:38 PM
i have about 24 K and do not see ubnormal wear... my rotors were groovy from day one (not even smooth surface, but "groovs' all over) should I re-surface them in the shop ???

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/13/2003, 05:15 PM
I have 29k and just had it inspected with about half the pads still left.

Hotsauce
08/13/2003, 05:43 PM
I replaced the front pads at 15k, but I'm supercharged, and agressive. If you are wearing pads unusually fast I would check that the caliper guide pins are allowing the calipers to float properly.

John C.

dutchie
08/13/2003, 06:28 PM
Dumb dumb dumb, I knew that it couldn`t be right, my gutfeeling told me "you`re getting done", but my technical wisdom just drew a blank.
Thanks guys I`ll defenitely go back to complain:confused:

Tone
08/13/2003, 07:07 PM
If you are going through pads every 10K and are at 60K now, you could very easily need new rotors! Pads also eat the rotor depending on the compound and how much hard braking occurs. But there is something wrong with the brakes to cause them to eat pads that quickly, especially if they are the stock ones. At 40K on mine with a lot of high speed driver’s ed, they were thicker than some new aftermarket pads. Sounds like your calipers are probably sticking and will need to be rebuilt too.

New aftermarket rotors might be the way to go - several people on the board have changed calipers but I’ve never heard any data on how much better they are.

Stainless brake lines are a major improvement and Joe Darlington has done a lot of research and gotten some built that are heavy duty but still less than $200 for all 4 - http://darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1134065
He blew out several brands before coming up with these. Check out the cool brake bleeder screws also for one person brake bleeding!

andy454
08/13/2003, 07:24 PM
If both wheels are eating the pads I would be looking at the entire braking system rather than a sticking caliper. Perhaps something in the valve block is keeping some pressure on the fronts causing them to wear. Jack the front up and apply and release the brake. Check to see if there is resistance in spinning the wheel. How does the fluid look? Contaminated fluid can expand and cause some pressure on the calipers. Jack it up when the vehicle is hot and spin the wheels. Just a few things to try.

AlaskaVX
08/14/2003, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to say thet I have 48,000 miles on original pads and there is still another 10-20,000 miles left 'till I will need to replace them.

David Wiltshire
09/19/2003, 10:43 AM
I have just heard back from a company called EBC regarding replacement disc pads for the VX. They make a low dust pad for SUV's which they produce to fit the VX both front and rear, they also produce the disc rotor too and it is slotted and part drilled.
A few fellow Lotus owners I know have switched over to EBC products and been impressed.
EBC part numbers Front pads DP 6973
Rear pads DP 6974

Front discs D637

I will be fitting these soon and post the results

transVXmen
09/19/2003, 12:54 PM
anyone change there pads to aftermarket...such as HAWK pads.. I heard they are pretty good!....also IF aftermarkets are used ...do you need to resurface the rotors???

Hotsauce
09/19/2003, 05:39 PM
Having tried them I can say that Axxis Ultimate pads are NOT as good as stock.

I was not aware of any Hawk pads for our application.

John C.

james1vx
09/20/2003, 09:47 AM
i just changed my pads all around on my 99 got them from auto zone 20.00 for the front 15.00 for the rear.had 60,000 mile on them rotors in great shape but new ones at auto zone where 89.00 a piece. fastest brake job i ever did.

joe-yamma
11/12/2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by David Wiltshire
I have just heard back from a company called EBC regarding replacement disc pads for the VX. They make a low dust pad for SUV's which they produce to fit the VX both front and rear, they also produce the disc rotor too and it is slotted and part drilled.
A few fellow Lotus owners I know have switched over to EBC products and been impressed. EBC part numbers Front pads DP 6973 Rear pads DP 6974 Front discs D637I will be fitting these soon and post the results

i know that EBC makes good brake pads for motorcycles as well...
please keep us posted on this.
do you have any prices ???

smcneal
11/12/2003, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know where to go for performanc`e rotors for the VX? Preferrably not one's that have a price tag like the VX is a lambo!

Cyrk
11/12/2003, 11:04 AM
Got my Power Slot rotors here for about 306 bucks with free S/H last year here:
http://truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype=4d&sortorder=A&urlsubcategory=Brakes&productcategory=Rotors%2FPads&sf1=ISUZU&sf2=1999&sf3=VEHICROSS

Got my Pads and stainless lines form N1.

The Front lines fit but the rear lines did not fit and were missing the rear feeder hose from the frame to the rear axle...
so I got some rear ones from Darlington Off-Road Products:
http://darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1134065

Some photos of them installed...

-Dave

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39brake_upgrade.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39rear_brakes.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39front_brakes.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39side_brakes.jpg

David Wiltshire
11/14/2003, 08:14 AM
Hi.
The prices for the EBC products are as follows
Front disc rotor
Standard D637 £31.50 plus VAT Part drilled and slotted £61.50 plus VAT

Front pads
Standard DP973 £35.00 plus VAT
Low dust DP6973 same price

Rear pads
Standard DP974 £26.99 plus VAT
Low dust DP6974 same price.

In the states you would not pay the VAT I think you can get EBC parts in the U.S.A. and they will probably cost the above figures in dollars.

dutchie
11/14/2003, 03:11 PM
Hi Dave,
I wrote to to them, but hey replied that they don`t have this (rotor)product for this type of vehicle:confused:
They don`t have a salespoint in Japan , did you getb them straight from a shop?
By the way are these prices in Pounds or Dollars.
Sincerely,
your cheese loving Dutchie

David Wiltshire
11/16/2003, 02:59 AM
Hi Dutchie,
The price was in pounds.
The company who deal with this are called Sejoc on 01375 846401 not sure what international code you would need from Japan. The guy I spoke to was Alex. I guess on export items you would not pay VAT

dutchie
11/16/2003, 07:16 AM
Hi Dave it`s good to hear some good news from your side of the world....;) , I`m still bummed out by saturday`s result against Scotland:mad: ......
Anyway I`ll try to give him a call!
Thanks Dave!