PDA

View Full Version : WOOT WOOT! Burning Man here I come!

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 01:11 PM
Yeppers, I just bought my $240 ticket online! :) They have gone thru 20,000 in a few hours, it looks like. Guesses put the turn out this year at 50,000 to 60,000. September is a long ways off but at least I have a long time to look forward to something...
Our camp is going to consist of:
2 busses (one of them is the 2-story from Moab),
1 motorhome,
2 campers,
2 vans,
probably about 3 or 4 more cars/trucks.
1 25' dia tent
1 14 x 9 tent
1 3-story scaffold
1 rock crawler pulling 2 trailers with people on couches.
1 golf cart.
1 Rhino

Plus we have DJ equipment and an 8' wide rear projection screen we can use at the dance floor. The audio and video are going to be synched. ALSO, one guy is going to set up a bar at the camp... so basically our camp is going to be a complete club in the middle of the desert!!! I am so excited!!! The Burning Man theme this year is Metropolis and I assume there will be major art pieces and camps based around that to look like towns.

SOOOO... if you have wanted to go to Burning Man... :naughty: :dan_ban::_beer: :evil:

Ldub
01/13/2010, 01:30 PM
DOOD! Congrats...:thumbup:

You just gotta have multiple dancin' nanner outfits made...:dan_ban:

That could be the theme for your whole camp!:yesgray:

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 03:17 PM
DOOD! Congrats...:thumbup:

You just gotta have multiple dancin' nanner outfits made...:dan_ban:

That could be the theme for your whole camp!:yesgray:Thanks Dubbs!

HAHA! I don't think I'll even run it by 'em. I hear sarongs are the clothing of choice... but I think I can rock the banana costume without clothes and be just fine. :p Otherwise, I gotta start working out again so I can run around naked with girls on ecstasy! :laugho: I can see it now, skin cancer on my junk and trunk!
:disturbed

Triathlete
01/13/2010, 05:27 PM
2 words for you...Banana Hammock!:dan_ban:

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 05:53 PM
2 words for you...Banana Hammock!:dan_ban:ROFL! Yeah, dude, plenty of people have seen me like that, it's not a problem... for ME! Can't speak for those who gouged their eyes out with spoons tho! :smilewink I figure at Burning Man, I might be in for some skinny-tripping! LOL, gotta try new things, don't ya know!

pbkid
01/13/2010, 09:54 PM
hahaha... this thread is hillarious.... :_beer: have fun justin

ZEUS
01/14/2010, 06:39 AM
Hey kid, I was thinking we were going to have to start a thread about where you disappeared to! Hope all is well, I know you said you can't sign is as much but I for one already missed you..

Scott Harness
01/14/2010, 07:13 AM
Every year I think about going...then I see some footage...um maybe not.
I've become a light weight,sissy,pxxxy in my old age.
Maybe for a day or two.
I did that kind of stuff in the 70's
I would like the performance art and fire lots of fire:flame2::flame:

pbkid
01/14/2010, 08:21 AM
actually im just getting started into my last and most difficult semester at school and i also just got back from a week long cruise (thats more likely where i dissapeared to).... so dont worry. ill be around to help you pick on dub, handlee, and tom.

ZEUS
01/14/2010, 09:12 AM
Maybe for a day or two.
I would like the performance art and fire lots of fire:flame2::flame:Man, you just sounded like an old Beavis "EH EH, FIRE FIRE!!!" :smilewink All I gotta say is we're not gettin any younger so there is no time like the present! SEE YA THERE! :yesy:

Triathlete
01/14/2010, 01:40 PM
Hey kid, I was thinking we were going to have to start a thread about where you disappeared to! Hope all is well, I know you said you can't sign is as much but I for one already missed you..

Awwww, how sweet:flower:...

....Get a room!:bwgy:

nfpgasmask
01/14/2010, 01:49 PM
Cool, so you gonna come stay for a day or two at my crib before or after?

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/14/2010, 01:51 PM
Maybe for a day or two.
I would like the performance art and fire lots of fire:flame2::flame:

x2, I'd go for the art, particularly the art cars, but I can do with out all the fat naked hippies. I know Justin likes them fat and naked, so have fun dood!!! :D:D:D:D

Bart

PS - AND, I have been out on the playa in the middle of the summer. It's not exactly...comfortable.

ZEUS
01/14/2010, 04:50 PM
x2, I'd go for the art, particularly the art cars, but I can do with out all the fat naked hippies. I know Justin likes them fat and naked, so have fun dood!!! :D:D:D:D

Bart

PS - AND, I have been out on the playa in the middle of the summer. It's not exactly...comfortable.Uh huh... fat naked hippies make me look like an even sexier mofo... then all I have to do is show the whorks and hottits... the one ring... the ring of flower-power that is! :flower: All shall bow before... the precioussss...
:laughing: :right::disturbed
Not even I can believe I just said that! :slap::dan_ban:

ZEUS
01/14/2010, 04:55 PM
Cool, so you gonna come stay for a day or two at my crib before or after?

BartYa know what... if you leave that as an open invitation and I get tired of the dust bowl, I'll see if I can get arrested so you can pick me up at the jail in Reno! (I understand that's where you end up if you get busted.) Then we can go shoot that crazy shot gun of yours at the Falcon. ;) I might need a ride back to the playa b4 my crew leaves tho... :yeso:

tomdietrying
01/14/2010, 07:24 PM
Justin,
Your my hero. I wish I could tag along. It going to be a blast!
Peace.
Tom

ZEUS
01/15/2010, 12:45 PM
Justin,
Your my hero. I wish I could tag along. It going to be a blast!
Peace.
TomI wish you could make it too, my man, the more the merrier!

Our camp isn't simply 'hippies' - it will be a number of 'regular types' if there is such a thing. Here is a link to the Fugawi Tribe's camp application as in (“Where the Fugawi?”) from 2008: http://home.comcast.net/~steveswensen/oc/

The mutant vehicle is the bus from Moab... that guy bought another bus too... guess it's his summer home or something. :) We are hoping for a corner lot this year for the greatest layout.

Notice the ORW is strung up naked in the 2nd to last pic... told you she gets around... ;)

nfpgasmask
01/15/2010, 01:15 PM
Ya know what... if you leave that as an open invitation and I get tired of the dust bowl, I'll see if I can get arrested so you can pick me up at the jail in Reno! (I understand that's where you end up if you get busted.) Then we can go shoot that crazy shot gun of yours at the Falcon. ;) I might need a ride back to the playa b4 my crew leaves tho... :yeso:

Dude, you BETTER hang out at least for a drink or two while you are over here.

The mutant bus is pretty insane. I like it. I can't wait to get a welder.

Bart

ZEUS
01/15/2010, 01:53 PM
Dude, you BETTER hang out at least for a drink or two while you are over here.

The mutant bus is pretty insane. I like it. I can't wait to get a welder.

BartIf I were driving, it wouldn't even be a question - I will be riding with my buddy tho and he is the organizer of the tribe so we will be among the 1st to show and last to leave, most likely. I've never met ANYONE who can party like this guy... I guarantee he will be wiped out at the end of this, so I know he won't want to sidetrack on the way home. There's still time for Elko tho! :grino:

nfpgasmask
01/15/2010, 03:05 PM
If I were driving, it wouldn't even be a question - I will be riding with my buddy tho and he is the organizer of the tribe so we will be among the 1st to show and last to leave, most likely. I've never met ANYONE who can party like this guy... I guarantee he will be wiped out at the end of this, so I know he won't want to sidetrack on the way home. There's still time for Elko tho! :grino:

Actually, you need to call me about that. My buddy and I want to do the Ruby Crest Trail this summer. I will be driving the Trooper. I would love to have a 2nd vehicle along for the trip so lets get it planned.

Bart

PS - I really thought you would be driving the Army Truck to BM. Maybe I will camp on the outskirts that weekend and you can leave the event for a bit and we can go shooting. :)

ZEUS
01/15/2010, 03:23 PM
Actually, you need to call me about that. My buddy and I want to do the Ruby Crest Trail this summer. I will be driving the Trooper. I would love to have a 2nd vehicle along for the trip so lets get it planned.

Bart

PS - I really thought you would be driving the Army Truck to BM. Maybe I will camp on the outskirts that weekend and you can leave the event for a bit and we can go shooting. :)We already have so many rigs going I was discouraged to bring another so I'm riding along.

No Bart, we can't play snipers on the hippies! :bwgy: That would be awesome to hit up a trail and do some shooting tho! 7 days of BM may be a bit much for me.

I'll give you a call tomorrow, we got some catching up to do cuz our last game of phone tag sucked!

ZEUS
01/25/2010, 11:07 AM
HERE (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2502012/BURN%202010/Untitled.html) is the link to a rendered animation of our camp for 2010. My contribution (the motion visuals) for the camp - 10' screen, projector, and comp is going to be an awesome beacon at night so we should get a lot of visitors! :yesy: Protecting all that stuff during a dust storm is going to be a challenge tho, me thinks...

Triathlete
01/25/2010, 11:11 AM
The bike rack should have rollers with little generators so the cyclists can peddal and power your electrical needs!:bwgy:

MSHardeman
01/25/2010, 11:21 AM
Oh, oh....and a "Fender Blender"

http://bikeblender.com/fender-blender-universale/

A company that I worked for had one of these at a charity golf event and it was a HUGE hit. Everyone wanted to jump on and make their own margarita's.

Maybe a banana smoothie?:dan_ban:

Nice animation, by the way. I like the "Thunderdome" feel.

ZEUS
01/25/2010, 12:11 PM
The bike rack should have rollers with little generators so the cyclists can peddal and power your electrical needs!:bwgy:Good idea, Billy, thanks for volunteering! :p

Oh, oh....and a "Fender Blender"

http://bikeblender.com/fender-blender-universale/

A company that I worked for had one of these at a charity golf event and it was a HUGE hit. Everyone wanted to jump on and make their own margarita's.

Maybe a banana smoothie?:dan_ban:

Nice animation, by the way. I like the "Thunderdome" feel.LMAO - banana smoothie... that's a good one, Mark! :) But $250 up to $390 plus attachments for that thang!? It's cool and all but I don't want to pay for sex... expecially when I'd be the one getting shafted!

My buddy did the animation using 3DS Max - he's awesome with that stuff and may lead me to a career change. You architects are getting on my nerves. ;)

Triathlete
01/25/2010, 01:53 PM
i will send you the address to send the limo to pick me up.:)

ZEUS
08/26/2010, 11:18 PM
DUHN
DUHN
DUHN
DUNH...
The time is upon us...
We will be leaving for Winnemucca Friday morning after I wrap up a few things at work. We are staying at a shady hotel... "Scott Shady Court Hotel" specifically. Then we will be on our way to Black Rock City Saturday morning! :D

I think BM will be streamed live from HERE (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/burningman-live) once more (just as last year tho... beware - nudity may be present)

This should be interesting - I may be reborn or may just find another way to be undead. I will prob'ly be some sort of demigod tho! :p See ya Labor Day!

nfpgasmask
08/27/2010, 08:38 AM
Have fun raving it up, Justin!! Try not to catch anything!!

;) Bart

kodiak
08/27/2010, 10:49 AM
Have fun man! My sister is one of the fire dancers. Just yell Chelsey and she'll come running. :p

ZEUS
09/07/2010, 08:51 AM
A lil reborn.
A lil undead.
I saw one VX out there but the owner was sleeping at the time - Dan from Cali, you here?
I'm exhausted and dreading work... ugh.

nfpgasmask
09/07/2010, 09:09 AM
Pics....let's see em.

:) Bart

ZEUS
09/07/2010, 12:52 PM
I didn't take too many pics - a camera just becomes a nuisance out there. Plus most the time I didn't have any clothes to put one in. LOL Day wear consisted of a fig leaf and a straw hat most days and my camera sucks at night shots. I'll send you some soon tho.

Triathlete
09/07/2010, 01:38 PM
Day wear consisted of a fig leaf and a straw hat most days

That thought made my brain...
:disturbed

Hope you didn't forget the sunscreen!
:laughgray:laughy::laugho::laughb:

nfpgasmask
09/07/2010, 02:08 PM
x2, I'm glad I didn't go. I don't need to see that. :laughing:

Bart

ZEUS
09/07/2010, 05:51 PM
Actually, I got several compliments for covering up my junk! :p I saw just as many exposed weiners as I saw exposed boobs probably. But I was stopped a few times by folks wanting to praise me for my "decency". Yeah... me... go figure!

I gotta tell ya tho, I wish girls were as forthcumming as guys. One guy asked if he could video me because he noticed how "beautiful" I was - with a compliment like that I had to say "sure". :yeso: I noticed another guy staring at me as he was 'massaging himself' whilst wearing a creepy grin on his face - I rode away quickly. Another naked guy (proclaimed straight) on a bike told me I have a great physique. Girls just kept telling me stuff like, "let me go", or "no you can't play with that part of my body", or "no, we can't do that in front of everyone", or "WTF?". :bgwo: OK, really the girls mostly said "I like your leaf"... which is why I had one. :dan_ban:

VX KAT
09/07/2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Laughing/lol-045.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html)
you crack me up Zeus!! You've got to become a writer!

BigMeatVX
09/07/2010, 09:30 PM
I was there also, with my gal...WHAT A PARTY!!!..For those that have not been or are to CHICKEN TO GO...You don't know what you are missing!!! THIS IS A WORLD CLASS PARTY!!!
I thought I remembered reading you were gonna be there also....
Where was this mystery VX parked? I didn't see it...
I can't wait for next year, I've got a few wild ideas for an art car...

And ....how about all the beautifull naked chicks high on excasty???
I think every one there was SUPER high on something...:winkb:

BigMeatVX
09/07/2010, 09:36 PM
Mabey you should have mentioned that ALL the booze is FREE there...And nearly every camp has there own WET BAR....HeHe...
That would have caught a few peoples attention!...Dub???

ZEUS
09/08/2010, 12:17 AM
Good points! And YES, WILD TIME where everything but ice is free! Unless you splurge for some coffee. I was camped at the corner of 3 and F so the VX was probably at F and 5:30 behind a big white half dome thing that housed circus aerials. Where were you camped?

I was amazed at what would pass as an art car - I saw a Saturn SL1 with the plastic skin ripped off, windows pulled out, and then the unibody painted black = art? :confused: Looked like crack for clunkers to me!

Ahh... yes... the extremely hot naked girls eating touchy feely yum yums... or the hot naked girls riding Segways... eating touchy feely yum yums. They are so fun. I got to make a body cast on a pair of really nice breasteses at Camp Moist. Their owner took me back to her camp to show me her special lil toy... 'El Guaco' she called it. That's right... an RC truck... (sickos) with the bed converted to be a handy chip container - above the cab was a rack to hold a container of guacamole - on one side a small bottle of tequila was hung and on the other was the salt - and at the rear was a box of limes. COOLEST DAMN PARTY PROP! We cruised it up to people walking along the road, messed with them, and let them snack. Her smoking hot nothin-but-panties wearin friend hooked me up with some Absinthe after the tequila. And yes ALL FREE! Much much more stuff for FREE too! :bgwo: I still spent a bit over a grand for the whole trip with supplies and toys tho.

God... the stories can just go on and on and on... 50,000 'civilians' and what, 5,000 volunteers (?) built a city in a few days to create a giant, week-long party filled with debauchery and memories. Speaking of... viewing the sunrise on the playa from atop a pillow covered bed on the roof of an art car with my Tues/Wed Playa Buddy, was the beginning of the end to one of the wildest nights I've ever had... somehow, she looked better when I first met her tho. :tweed::_beer:;party::heart:;party::slap::_huh::sn ooz:

BigMeatVX
09/08/2010, 10:28 AM
I camped with folks that built a 3 story art structure...a firehouse sorta....with an art gallery on the first floor, wet bar and kitchen on middle floor, and upper deck with 360 degree views....9:00 and "D" was our spot..
The nude chicks just kept stopping in, to add their bit of art to our building...Freaking Wonderful
.. You must have been near the Snake Girl Bar? Or was that on 3:30? Its all blending together now...HeHe.

Did you see all the VW hippie busses camped together? Made me think about haveing a VX camp/meet there next year....would anyone go?
Seems like VX Crazy, PBKid, LDub, and many others would have an super time there, too.

Met tons of SUPER nice people!!! And this place has like ZERO fights or violence...very peacefull indeed.

I tried to look up this thread while I was there to try and find ya, but the cell service and WiFi are spotty at best.

To sum this up for folks, imagine if you could hand-pick the best 60,000 people in the world to party with....these are the peeps that are there....everything is free, food and drinks and other yummies are shared by others...unity and love abounds...Proboly the closest thing to Heaven on earth...

nfpgasmask
09/08/2010, 11:19 AM
To sum this up for folks, imagine if you could hand-pick the best 60,000 people in the world to party with....these are the peeps that are there

Funny, because I know a few people that go to Burning Man that I can't stand. Like this guy that was our realtor when we moved to Reno. Total douche. I would NOT want to party with this guy.

One of the things that turns me off about BM is that a lot of these people are phonies who just go there once a year and "let their freak flag fly". I'm sure there are a lot of geniune people that go (I know Justin's freak flag is flying 24/7, :laughing:), but the realtors, and lawyers and stock brokers and other people like this that don't have the balls to be a freak full time and have to wait until BM to be this way, I dunno, I just don't get it. It's like, just be real and be yourself all the time, not only when its acceptable. Know what I mean?

Its like 50% of BM I am totally with, and the other 50% I just think is stupid. I'm not knocking it, just saying, I don't know if it would be my scene at all.

Scott Harness
09/08/2010, 11:32 AM
Its like 50% of BM I am totally with, and the other 50% I just think is stupid. I'm not knocking it, just saying, I don't know if it would be my scene at all.

X2...I don't think I could party that long and hard anymore:( (old man)maybe for a couple of days.

BigMeatVX
09/08/2010, 12:54 PM
Funny, because I know a few people that go to Burning Man that I can't stand. Like this guy that was our realtor when we moved to Reno. Total douche. I would NOT want to party with this guy.

One of the things that turns me off about BM is that a lot of these people are phonies who just go there once a year and "let their freak flag fly". I'm sure there are a lot of geniune people that go (I know Justin's freak flag is flying 24/7, :laughing:), but the realtors, and lawyers and stock brokers and other people like this that don't have the balls to be a freak full time and have to wait until BM to be this way, I dunno, I just don't get it. It's like, just be real and be yourself all the time, not only when its acceptable. Know what I mean?

I understand, however....most of society does not allow for these types of things to go on in every day life....nakedness and drugs and freaky costumes and wackey unique cars are not politaclly correct.

And I don't know that I would want my lawyer representing me with a neon yellow mohawk...Or that a tie-die dressed stock broker would be any more successfull...

But I do know that the people at BM leave there inhibitions, politics and "normalness" at home....they come to this place with a common goal...To have a great time away from it all:bgwb:...PERIOD...At BM everyone treats you as you were their own brother or sister...sort of a mutual respect for the fact that your actually there.

Sure, there were things going on that I chose not to be involved in, but it was still fun to watch...

The artistic abilities and creations are. AMAZING. And many of the people there are the Mozarts, Einsteins and Rembrants of our modern time.

If you don't ever go, then you will never know.
If you do go, it will change your life.

I think society needs more of these type of events...

nfpgasmask
09/08/2010, 02:15 PM
And I don't know that I would want my lawyer representing me with a neon yellow mohawk...

And see, that is EXACTLY the problem I have with it. So for one week he shaves his head and dies his mohawk yellow, and now he is not suited to represent you? :nogray: He's the same guy. Its a good example you make of what exactly annoys me about it. If I went to BM, I would look the same as I do right now. But I guess for exhibitionists like Justin, I understand. :D

The artistic abilities and creations are. AMAZING. And many of the people there are the Mozarts, Einsteins and Rembrants of our modern time.

This is the part of BM I would like to go for. I like art, and I REALLY like avant-garde art, so I know I would like to see this kinda stuff.

Bart

RickOKC
09/08/2010, 04:38 PM
Who should be there? I'm reminded of an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where the family wound up at BM in a borrowed RV. They had the awning extended with Astroturf on the ground and a BBQ grille. Hal wore his normal attire - plaid shorts, a khaki hat, knee socks and zinc on his nose. He seemed to be appalled by everything going on around him and threatened by all the attention heaped upon him. The attention, applause and praise from other attendees was because they thought Hal & family were putting on a performance piece to denounce conformist society. :laughgray

I wonder if I am too anal retentive to enjoy BM.
(Thank you folks... I'll be here all week. Tip your bartender...) :biggringr

ZEUS
09/08/2010, 05:51 PM
I dunno Bart... you might be over thinking it (hello black kettle)... try to look at it like this. Reno has a pop of about 220,000 right? If you met everyone in Reno you might like less than 25% of them (let's be honest - you are not a people lover :p). And you live in Reno 24/7 until you want to get away from that 75% - for a few days you could easily tolerate hippies telling you that 'you are beautiful', spying hot naked chicks everywhere, interpreting art, playing with flame throwers, checking out robots and crazy art cars, wearing apocalypse clothing, etc. Most of those people you don't like are likely NOT the folks you are going to seek out or find in Black Rock City. If you somehow do, you simply roll along to the next camp/party. I would imagine you could easily enjoy the company of those who are serving you a free drink whether or not they are lawyers or nuclear engineers :wave: I could see you hanging out at the Thunderdome (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0WTefZbLIhMQQMA38CJzbkF?p=death+guild +thunderdome&fr=ie8&ei=utf-8&x=wrt) with the wastelanders and then chilling with the guys who bring their own homemade flamethrowers and then checking out Dr.Megavolt (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0WTefbxK4hMJAIAXQKJzbkF?p=dr+megavolt&fr=ie8&ei=utf-8&x=wrt) and then Ein Hammer (http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0WTefTKLIhMi0AAMfiJzbkF?ei=UTF-8&p=burning%20man%20ein%20hammer&rs=0ni%3D21&ni=21&fr2=tab-img&fr=ie8) - there really is so much out there to take in and enjoy for all different types of folks. Also, EVERYONE is stepping out of character a lil bit because we built our own fantasy city/society to live in.

Ascinder
09/08/2010, 08:15 PM
I think you are overthinking it too, what part about:

ALL the booze is FREE there...And nearly every camp has there own WET BAR....HeHe...

did you miss?:_beer::_beer::_beer:

I think I'm going to go next year. I heard the dust and rain and wind were pretty bad this year though.

ZEUS
09/08/2010, 08:59 PM
Actually Beau - you just have to camp on the right side of town. I have some video footage from atop our tower at our camp from Monday that shows what I mean. We barely had any dust during the entire event until Saturday when the wind did a 180, and even then we lucked out in comparison to some others! I did notice on the opposite side of town tho, they got hammered almost the whole time. Our camp organizer requested a spot near a location he had noticed seemed to always have better conditions and we were all grateful! :yeso:

Scott Harness
09/09/2010, 06:15 AM
Justin and Big Meat just might have convinced me to go next year!
You only live once...maybe:p

BigMeatVX
09/09/2010, 07:27 AM
You only live once...maybe:p

COOL COOL....Any one else up for a VX meet at next years BM???

I think I have finally found a use for my extra thrashed VX tub...A VX art car!!!

Mabey Ill mod it into a sort of Mars Rover - Spaceship look???
Or chop it into a roadster style???

Any ideas are welcomed!

ZEUS
09/09/2010, 07:33 AM
A VX hot tub roadster!!! :yeso:
I can't make it next year but plan on going in 2012 when the theme HAS to be "End of Days"!

JHarris1385
09/09/2010, 09:45 AM
I was driving from Tahoe to San Fran on the last day and saw alot of BM cars. VERY DUSTY. Thats one way to spot them. Beyond that and not in any way degrading I do have to ask were there showers there?

I am interested in going, however I do not still fully understand the whole idea.

Zues - could you sum it up in a couple of lines or so what you feel it is? Plus how much is the weekly ticket?

nfpgasmask
09/09/2010, 09:51 AM
All those things you said, Justin, you are right about. I would probably enjoy those aspects for a day or two...but for a whole week? Probably not.

However, I did go to the Road Warrior event which from what I understand was a lot like BM, with a lot of the same BM people attending. Now, granted, the turn out for the Road Warrior Weekend Event was much smaller, I honestly was not overly impressed. Part of the problem was with organization, but in general, I guess for me its just that I am not a "community fish". Really the only part of that event I enjoyed, was seeing the other cars and meeting Vernon Wells and Virginia Hey. I really could care less about the other people, seriously. I mean, I'm social, to a point. Once I get to know people, for sure. I mean, Moab ZuZu is great because I pretty much already "know people".

Camping for me is about getting away from people, FAR AWAY from people. Not that BM is a camping event, but it is a "getting away from it all" event but to me it just sounds like a big hippie-naked-drug-fest with a bunch of art-fags mixed in. And believe me, I'm not downing it, not at all. I just simply don't think it is for me. Maybe if I was 20 years old, single, and in the right mind set, maybe, but right now, I just really have no interest in it. I hate to say it, but I feel like I've seen it all already. Know what I mean? I am kinda desensitized. I've seen loads of photos and videos from previous events, and I just don't see anything that makes me say to myself, "man, I gotta go and experience that!" Know what I'm sayin'? I would much rather go to Bryce Canyon and look out over a cliff and see NOTHING and NO ONE but what mother nature created. I am not fascinated by "people", not in the least bit, and I think in a nut shell, that is why BM does nothing for me. I hope that makes sense....

Maybe I am just a fuddy-duddy. :laughing:

Bart

ZEUS
09/09/2010, 07:00 PM
I was driving from Tahoe to San Fran on the last day and saw alot of BM cars. VERY DUSTY. Thats one way to spot them. Beyond that and not in any way degrading I do have to ask were there showers there?

I am interested in going, however I do not still fully understand the whole idea.

Zues - could you sum it up in a couple of lines or so what you feel it is? Plus how much is the weekly ticket?
No, there are no showers! :laughing: Sorry... See, an open, inhospitable, desolate, Nevada playa is converted to a city surface once a year by the organizers and participants of The Burning Man Project to form Black Rock City, Nevada - complete with a post office but no plumbing. It is an annual community experiment and art installation - this year 50,000+ strong. Apparently the org gives the BLM $3mil yearly to use the playa for this one week. Because of the happenings and police presence during the event and the expense of the land use, there is talk of a private land purchase somewhere - with that I have heard of the possibility of plumbing, but I find it doubtful. Bring your own solar shower if you can't handle your own BO. I twice followed behind a water truck as it doused the dusty roads and I otherwise used wet wipes before applying sun block every morning.

BM to me, huh? Hmm... besides what I have explained, BM is about unity, equality, imagination, freedom, inner peace, spirituality, sharing, artistic expression, (drugs and/or alcohol for those inclined), and a rite of passage. The typical introduction goes as follows: "Welcome Home." It is also a canvas for art displayed in many forms; loud music, painting, human interaction, sculpture, the nude female body. Words really don't do justice for the effects it can have on your psyche upon arrival or departure. You won't fully understand the whole idea without experiencing it yourself - promise.

I also like this description by Daniel Pinchbeck: "I consider Burning Man to be a fulcrum for the evolution of consciousness on the planet, where cutting-edge scientists consort with neo-pagan warlocks, and arcane bits of knowledge are exchanged at hyperspeed."

ZEUS
09/09/2010, 07:23 PM
Well man, I won't tell YOU 'you've gotta go' - frankly, it seems you have already made up your mind that you would not have fun so I doubt you would. You're mind is closed to it. I do think you would be surprised at the culture and warmth of the individuals you meet which is not present in most pics. I typically hold an overwhelming hatred for people but a brighter light was cast upon that darkness during this trip (even before I lost sobriety :)). I was only suggesting if you did ever decide to go to only go for a couple days because you are so close and you wouldn't be moving somewhere for a week like we did. You are beautiful Bart and we love you. :bgwo:
All those things you said, Justin, you are right about. I would probably enjoy those aspects for a day or two...but for a whole week? Probably not.

However, I did go to the Road Warrior event which from what I understand was a lot like BM, with a lot of the same BM people attending. Now, granted, the turn out for the Road Warrior Weekend Event was much smaller, I honestly was not overly impressed. Part of the problem was with organization, but in general, I guess for me its just that I am not a "community fish". Really the only part of that event I enjoyed, was seeing the other cars and meeting Vernon Wells and Virginia Hey. I really could care less about the other people, seriously. I mean, I'm social, to a point. Once I get to know people, for sure. I mean, Moab ZuZu is great because I pretty much already "know people".

Camping for me is about getting away from people, FAR AWAY from people. Not that BM is a camping event, but it is a "getting away from it all" event but to me it just sounds like a big hippie-naked-drug-fest with a bunch of art-fags mixed in. And believe me, I'm not downing it, not at all. I just simply don't think it is for me. Maybe if I was 20 years old, single, and in the right mind set, maybe, but right now, I just really have no interest in it. I hate to say it, but I feel like I've seen it all already. Know what I mean? I am kinda desensitized. I've seen loads of photos and videos from previous events, and I just don't see anything that makes me say to myself, "man, I gotta go and experience that!" Know what I'm sayin'? I would much rather go to Bryce Canyon and look out over a cliff and see NOTHING and NO ONE but what mother nature created. I am not fascinated by "people", not in the least bit, and I think in a nut shell, that is why BM does nothing for me. I hope that makes sense....

Maybe I am just a fuddy-duddy. :laughing:

Bart

nfpgasmask
09/09/2010, 08:10 PM
You are beautiful Bart and we love you. :bgwo:

Thanks, J! But am CERTAINLY not as beautiful as you, no one, and I mean NO ONE needs to see me in a fig leaf and a straw hat! :laughing:

Maybe we'll go some year...maybe. And then I won't feel bad about the things I say. :)

Bart

ZEUS
09/09/2010, 11:39 PM
You only live once...maybe:pI hope you do make it out Scott. Age don't mean much. Our camp ranged from 21 to 75 this year. Norm and Pops were the eldest and yet Norm was bringing in the most hotties because of his myriad of vinegar concoctions and potions! DELICIOUS and good for you! Dre brought out all sorts of stones and woods and the tools to carve and/or wire them. Mikey had leather goods. Most of these fine folks are from Moab. Chris is one of the owners of Area BFE and is a riot! And has no tan lines... anywhere HAHA! We took in a pair of hikers as they were passing our camp and Jess went topless instantly and was very friendly to everyones' delight! :) Good peeps one and all...