PDA

View Full Version : Only 4 months to Moab...

BigSwede
01/13/2010, 11:18 AM
Just sayin'...:)

tomdietrying
01/13/2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, hard to believe. I need to do a few things to the VX first. I think I might buy me a new tent too. Anyhow, lots to do and only four months to get it done. Thanks for the reminder.
Peace.
Tom

Scott Harness
01/13/2010, 12:29 PM
Yes!!! I need cash

tjh
01/13/2010, 04:02 PM
So can someone tell me about this moab trip? What are the Prerequisites for going ? What goes on over there ?

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 04:32 PM
Here ya go!
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15623&highlight=moab+2009

tomdietrying
01/13/2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone is welcome! Most people have Isuzus, but we've had members bring jeeps, Toyota Land Cruisers, and even a mercedes. The only prerequsite is to come out and enjoy what Moab has to offer.

If you're coming from Louisiana, you can caravan with with the Texas crew if you would like.
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
01/13/2010, 04:44 PM
What goes on over there ?

What happens in Moab, stays in...oh wait, never mind...thats Vegas.:bwgy:

Scott Harness
01/13/2010, 07:00 PM
What happens in Moab, stays in...oh wait, never mind...thats Vegas.:bwgy:

BUT... What happens on the STOOP...STAYS on the STOOP!:yeso:

pbkid
01/13/2010, 09:57 PM
:dan_ban: moab :dan_ban: is :dan_ban: the :dan_ban: best :dan_ban: vacation :dan_ban: ever!!!!! :dan_ban:

sorry, its been a long day.... this reminds me i have a LOT of things to order for the runner before moab.... and i gotta get working on installing all those parts sitting around my garage haha

vt_maverick
01/14/2010, 10:37 AM
Well since my employer made me work every day (including weekends and holidays) over Christmas/New Years, I now have an abundance of vacation time and could consider going. Still on the fence though, right now it looks like less than 50% chance unless maybe tom4bren is willing to caravan...

nfpgasmask
01/14/2010, 01:54 PM
i need time off!!!

:( Bart

Ldub
01/16/2010, 05:16 AM
BUT... What happens on the STOOP...STAYS on the STOOP!:yeso:

Yeh...for the most part i guess...:naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC03217.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02540.JPG

tjh
01/16/2010, 09:14 AM
I want to go to Moab , It's beautiful ! I assume that I should reserve some lodging . Where should I begin my search ?

Ldub
01/16/2010, 09:23 AM
I want to go to Moab , It's beautiful ! I assume that I should reserve some lodging . Where should I begin my search ?

Ummmmmm...Moab?...:rotate:

Sorry, couldn't resist...:laughing:

Either Red Rock Lodge iffin yer the roof over yer head type...http://red-rocklodge.com/

Or Portal campground iffin yer a more outdoorsy type...http://portalrvresort.com/

Are widely considered "ground zero" amongst the Moabites...:yesgray:

OK...maybe Portal isn't looking so good...:_confused

Looks to me as if they're switching over to accomidate the "deep pockets crowd" more than campers...:confusedw
Anyone have any new news about Portal?

VX KAT
01/16/2010, 09:24 AM
Many in the group stay at the Red Rock Lodge (http://www.red-rocklodge.com/), some camp or RV at various RV parks (Portal is one), and a few stay at other local hotels. When they refer to the "the stoop" they're referring to the area in front of the room doors at the Red Rock Lodge where we tend to gather & "socialize" in the evening. Go to the Moab picture gallery and you'll see many pics from it.

Triathlete
01/16/2010, 11:56 AM
Portal is still the same as it was last year. They still have the same tent spots and the group area. The upscale area is the area where the cabins and open field used to be. I am sure there will be a lot of Zu'ies pitchin tents...myself included.

VX KAT
01/16/2010, 03:24 PM
Ya know all those pics on the Portal website were there last year, and threw me off. That must be completely on the other side than where we were, none of that was even visible to us from the RV spot we had, the tent area or the group meeting area....it's like two different parks, although the part we were in was OK and being close to the big group area was good.

Ldub
01/16/2010, 10:20 PM
Portal is still the same as it was last year. They still have the same tent spots and the group area. The upscale area is the area where the cabins and open field used to be. I am sure there will be a lot of Zu'ies pitchin tents...myself included.

Ya know all those pics on the Portal website were there last year, and threw me off. That must be completely on the other side than where we were, none of that was even visible to us from the RV spot we had, the tent area or the group meeting area....it's like two different parks, although the part we were in was OK and being close to the big group area was good.

Good to know, thanks for setting me straight on that...:thanx:.:yesgray:

don moore
01/16/2010, 11:10 PM
Well its been canceled on my end ..I have to be boss again.. damn. but Im going to quit next year if they dont let me go ....hehe

BigSwede
01/26/2010, 02:22 PM
Seem unlikely that Portal sold a lot of lots in the last year...I'm guessing they still have the group tenting sites as before.

tom4bren
01/26/2010, 04:01 PM
Well since my employer made me work every day (including weekends and holidays) over Christmas/New Years, I now have an abundance of vacation time and could consider going. Still on the fence though, right now it looks like less than 50% chance unless maybe tom4bren is willing to caravan...

Not 2010. Start bookin 2011 tho ... hell or high water, I'm there.

Moncha
01/26/2010, 07:20 PM
Yeh...for the most part i guess...:naughty:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02540.JPG

I thought the saying was what happens when you poop! Stays in your shorts!

I've saved up the vacation time but we got stuck with a furlough day each month with comes out to a 4.62% deduction in pay. Along with a rise in our health insurance, I ended up taking an 11% cut in pay this year. I'll be tight, but even if I have to walk out there, we'll be there!

Can't wait!!

Scott Harness
01/27/2010, 09:59 AM
but even if I have to walk out there, we'll be there!

Can't wait!!

Excellent Bossman!
Just made reservations at the "STOOP" room 108 just like the last several years.
I think they like us there.They are giving us the 15% discount again.I didn't even have to ask for it!! MOAB...MOAB...MOAB

vt_maverick
01/27/2010, 10:13 AM
Not 2010. Start bookin 2011 tho ... hell or high water, I'm there.

Yeah looking like 2011 will be better for me anyway. Trying to recover from some unexpected bills this winter plus we're bidding on a huge contract right now that would have me tied up most of the spring and summer if we win.

Btw, interested in helping me install these Kilby plates? Wife and I were thinking of heading up your way this week or next to visit our friends in the 'Burg, so we thought we'd at least stop in. Plans not solid by any means, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

P.S.S We're buying the food this time. ;)

tom4bren
01/27/2010, 10:25 AM
We're supposed to get hammered again this weekend with snow but stop by ... y'all are always welcome. Bren hasta work all weekend so I'll just be hangin round the house trying to finish a few of my 1/2 done projects.

crotchrocket
01/27/2010, 12:52 PM
i REALLY want to go to moab this year. All you guys have been awesome and it would be great to meet those going and joint the holiday.

Claire obvoiusly isnt into VX's as much as me but would be MORE than happy off roading through the kind of scenery i've drooled over from the previouse Moab trips. She also wants to see things like the grand canyon (not a million miles away i believe?? ) and have a proper holiday too.

What else is 'near' Moab?? not that the treip wouldn't be enought but some negotiating points would be helpfull when getting claire to agree that our holiday this year should be with you guys!!

Also, this really would depend on someone giving us shotgun for the trip ( and poss a drive :D ) as i dont think a hire car would be up to it!!!

VX KAT
01/27/2010, 01:00 PM
Oh my. Moab is right next to Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park, two of the most beautiful natural rock formation areas in the world. They are like within 20 miles from each park. Don't know if she's into the nature stuff but it's spectacular. Also, the Grand Canyon is about 7 hrs from Moab (383 miles, 616 km), which is awesome. Google those parks and you'll see the iconic picture of the rock arch that is always used to symbolize that areas formations.

Remember I'm always looking for a relief driver so you can have some seat time in my VX if ya want....you and Claire can take it alone and I'll ride with hubby...now there's a novel concept, eh?

tom4bren
01/27/2010, 01:01 PM
Plan for 2011. Fly into Dulles Airport (Washington DC). I'll pick you up & we'll RV cross country. Bren wants to see Grand Canyon too (& maybe Mt Rushmore).

Edit: Hey KAT - look who types too slow now;ooy;

SEE

VX KAT
01/27/2010, 01:16 PM
Edit: Hey KAT - look who types too slow now;ooy;
heck, I even edited it twice...what are ya doing, work or somethin'?

BigSwede
01/27/2010, 01:18 PM
Tom, you going to reserve the group campsite again at Portal?

tom4bren
01/27/2010, 01:20 PM
KAT,

Edits don't count. As soon as you submit the first copy, the posts stay in order.

Work ... silly girl ... I'm a Gov't employee

My daughter called for help with her taxes just as I started typing my response.

Triathlete
01/27/2010, 02:14 PM
You should not have any problems finding an open seat. Also near by is Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircasd, Painted Desert, and the Petrified Forest.

ZEUS
01/27/2010, 02:18 PM
You should not have any problems finding an open seat. Also near by is Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircasd, Painted Desert, and the Petrified Forest....and Lake Powell! :yesgray:

Triathlete
01/27/2010, 03:26 PM
...and Lake Powell! :yesgray:

Glenn Canyon...the best ever place for star gazing on a clear night with or without a telescope!

MSHardeman
01/27/2010, 03:37 PM
CR, it's just basically a good time all around. Great scenery to look at, great people to hang out with, and like others have said; you will have NO problem finding an open seat (and possibly a drivers seat). Depending on how long you guys want to take off you could fly into nearly any major airport and probably find a VXer heading to Moab that you could ride with.

Heck, if you guys fly into Denver I would have no problem in driving over to get you, and Denver is three hours in the opposite direction from Moab for me.

Sign Claire up and get her on the site and we'll make sure to persuade her.:thumbup:

crotchrocket
01/28/2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for all your kind offers everyone! i'll speak to the boss and see what the plan is.

BigSwede
01/28/2010, 08:29 AM
Heck, if you guys fly into Denver I would have no problem in driving over to get you, and Denver is three hours in the opposite direction from Moab for me.
A number of us midwest/easterners go through Denver on the way out, and some live in Denver...likely somebody could pick you up. You'd get to see the Rocky Mountains on the way from Denver to Moab, very scenic.

BigSwede
01/28/2010, 08:33 AM
Motivational pic from last year...sorry not a VX but I wanted to show the spectacular scenery:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/BigSwede/Moab%202009/Moab2009127aMoabRim.jpg

nfpgasmask
01/28/2010, 09:00 AM
CR, if you can make the trip, I guarantee you will NOT regret it. Moab is insanely beautiful and meeting up with the VX homies is an awesome experience.

I would love to go again this year but at this point serious Japan plans are in the works so I just don't know if it is in the cards.

My VX also needs work. I need a new exhaust and my tranny is leaking and I still have coolant coming from somewhere. :_brickwal

Bart

Triathlete
01/28/2010, 09:54 AM
Motivational pic from last year...sorry not a VX but I wanted to show the spectacular scenery:

Just about a VX.:bwgy:

BigSwede
01/28/2010, 12:35 PM
OK, a prehistoric VX...no TOD, no auto, no 3.5L, no SOTF, no OBD II...but more headroom! :supercool