PDA

View Full Version : muffler

Daly
01/13/2010, 10:11 AM
Need to replace muffler.
Isuzu offers one OEM for $349 SILENCER ASM= E .
anyone put anything else on.

Also, I am new to forum and I am starting to clean up vehicle. What is best product to use to clean plastic body modeling parts, do not want to mess them up. Seems like oil or grease on front ones.

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 10:22 AM
Here's a good place to start on the muffler question:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16920&highlight=muffler

Here's a good start on the cladding cleaner:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13938&highlight=cladding+cleaner

Daly
01/13/2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for quick reply.
I tried a search on this site to get to links like that but it did not come up.

for the cladding that stuff looks great. But I am looking what to clean cladding with, just soap, water, elbow grease, or is there special stuff?

deermagnet
01/13/2010, 11:29 AM
Daly, our muffler and tailpipe were discontinued by Isuzu years ago, so that's out. Change the exhaust flex joint also. I got both done at Monro Muffler. Their #3430 muffler fits good, just not quite as silent as the stock one.

Clean the cladding with a sponge and warm, soapy water, rinse, dry, then apply a cladding treatment if you wish.

Mark

Daly
01/13/2010, 11:43 AM
Isuzu says OEM part for muffler is available
SILENCER ASM= E
99-01 $443.07 $349.49 .
Not sure why I need to pay $349 for OEM when Borla, Magna Flow and Gibson all run around $150.
Need the inlet and outlet size and specs on original muffler to see which options from those companies work. Isuzu could not give me stock size info.
They sure ain't to helpfull.
I would like to end up pretty quite, not looking for a growl.

deermagnet
01/13/2010, 11:47 AM
That's good that our muffler is available once again 'cuz it wasn't for a number of years. Most of those other mufflers are gonna growl.

Mark

Gussie2000
01/13/2010, 11:51 AM
Hello daly !

Which part in NY you live ?

I live in queens,if you want we can catch up any weekend.

In regards of your muffler i'll give you an straight answer: Dynomax

The dynomax super turbo series is a excelent choice.I got two of those under my horse.

They are very quiet yet has nice rumble & sweet tone.

In regards of the cladding I use "back to black"
I like it because it doesn't shine yet provides an excelent black looking coat over the plastic.

Daly
01/13/2010, 12:05 PM
You serious, Queens, excellent. I live in Douglaston. Surprised I have never seen you driving around and stopped you.
I am driving my kid up to college this weekend but would love to meet to check out your vehicross and pick your brains. I have a gazillion questions but did not want to overload the forum.
So you went from one muffler to two. Better hp, more sound?

Gussie2000
01/13/2010, 01:22 PM
Hello daly !

Which part in NY you live ?

I live in queens,if you want we can catch up any weekend.

In regards of your muffler i'll give you an straight answer: Dynomax

The dynomax super turbo series is a excelent choice.I got two of those under my horse.

They are very quiet yet has nice rumble & sweet tone.

If growl is not what are you looking for neither magnaflow,flowmaster nor borla is a option.
Dynomax is a high-flow performance muffler that doesn't growl at high decibels like the above brands.
Check amazon.com
I bought both mufflers from that website for under $ 130.
Trust me dude,you would not be dissapointed once you hit the highway & hear how quiet & sweet your VX will sound.

In regards of the cladding I use "back to black"
I like it because it doesn't shine or glow with the sunshine,yet provides an excelent black looking coat over the plastic.

You can get the cladding treatment at strauss auto

Gussie2000
01/13/2010, 01:55 PM
You serious, Queens, excellent. I live in Douglaston. Surprised I have never seen you driving around and stopped you.
I am driving my kid up to college this weekend but would love to meet to check out your vehicross and pick your brains. I have a gazillion questions but did not want to overload the forum.
So you went from one muffler to two. Better hp, more sound?

Great !
I've seeing a black VX on the I-495 turning into new hyde park road couple of times,actually i saw it few days ago,i wasn't able to catch up with him;Is that VX yours ?

About my mufflers the answer is yes,i got two mufflers under the horse,the sound at idle is almost quiet,but once some RPM is added,specially on the highway you can hear the bad boys rumbling you down.

Anyways daly,let me know when you want to meet up.any time on the weekend is fine.

Mile High VX
01/13/2010, 02:36 PM
Got any photos of that exhaust set up?

I want to change mine, but you're the first that's said they have two mufflers. Sound sweet!

Moonrover
01/13/2010, 02:56 PM
one thing i found to work nice for the cladding is after a nice wash, wax it with turtle wax ice synthetic polish. its nice because if you accidentally leave some on there isnt any white residue left over and it gives it a nice wet look.

Sprey
01/13/2010, 04:18 PM
soo moonrover you apply the ICE after say using Back to black

x2 on back to black. Its weird if you apply it regulary it stays a blackish grey, but if you wait a few months and really make it say wear off then go reapply it that cladding really does go black! great product!

Gussie2000
01/13/2010, 05:23 PM

I want to change mine, but you're the first that's said they have two mufflers. Sound sweet!

The OEM exhaust running from both engine banks connects the pipes on one after the cats by an "Y" configurarion,then goes along all the way on the driver's side to the rear end.

All you got to do is get rid of that Y connection & run another pipe on the passenger side,same as the left side,the smaller the size of the muffler the better,honestly there is not much room to play with on the passenger side;My 2nd muffler lies right under the charcoal canister,but i could work without any problem.
The gains are less backpressure,more exhaust flow & faster sprint off.

I spoke with a dynomax costumer rep & he told me dynomax is one of the few muffler manufacturers that proves vehicule gains performance specs by using their products :

"We at dynomax are well aware that most of the cars enthusiasts love the high growl of hi-tech mufflers under the cars,but that doesn't assure it will provide better performance for they vehicules after intallation,And what about those that prefers a low,less noisy & discrete growl,but with excelent performance from their mufflers ? Those also deserves a good-quality muffler"

The dynomax superturbo (model 177-47) is 4 1/4 x 9 3/4 " in diameter,while the overall body lenght is only 25 1/2 ".

Both,inlet & outlet are 2 1/2" which is the OEM diameter of the VX exhaust pipe so no adapters are needed.

But dynomax has other muffler configurations for those whom choose not to run two mufflers,but two inlet to two exhaust pipes,one inlet-two exhaust,etc

If you want your neighbors to know whenever you are coming or leaving then go for magnaflow,flowmaster & borla,but if want to catch your wife cheating on you @ home then go for the dynomax LOL

Here's they website :http://dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

Mile High VX
01/13/2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks.

I've got dynomax on my Accord tuner...they rock!

Would love to see some pics if you get a chance to snap some off.

Thanks again.

Gussie2000
01/13/2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks.

I've got dynomax on my Accord tuner...they rock!

Would love to see some pics if you get a chance to snap some off.

Thanks again.

No probs buddy.i will...:yesb:

Gussie2000
01/13/2010, 08:52 PM
soo moonrover you apply the ICE after say using Back to black

x2 on back to black. Its weird if you apply it regulary it stays a blackish grey, but if you wait a few months and really make it say wear off then go reapply it that cladding really does go black! great product!

Absolutely right sprey,i did the same thing.

I haven't use any more of the product since august & the cladding looks great.

Not too black,not too fade,but some sort of relaxing black/darkish grey look.

Daly
01/14/2010, 06:25 AM
Gussie,
Could have been me, I am running Kentucky plates right now. Will change to NY shortly.
Thanks for info.
Probably next week I will contact you to get together.

snowtrooper1966
01/14/2010, 07:05 AM
I have a new in box Power Vault 2 muffler, a rare aftermarket unit designed specifically for the VX, to give it an increase in HP and a bit of a growl. I could let it go for $190.00, shipped.
Best,

Gussie2000
01/14/2010, 08:30 AM
Gussie,
Could have been me, I am running Kentucky plates right now. Will change to NY shortly.
Thanks for info.
Probably next week I will contact you to get together.

Ok,that's fine.

Gussie2000
01/21/2010, 07:12 PM

Here you go buddy .......
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/thumbs/HPIM02751.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/HPIM02751.JPG)

don moore
01/21/2010, 10:21 PM
im running a MAGNAFLOW..http://www.pitstopautoparts.com/images/1-magnaflow-mufflers.jpg.I like it .

Gussie2000
01/22/2010, 05:32 AM
im running a MAGNAFLOW..http://www.pitstopautoparts.com/images/1-magnaflow-mufflers.jpg.I like it .

Hey don !

What about loudness ?

Any real HP increase after instalation ?

Mile High VX
01/22/2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks.

This helps so much.

Here you go buddy .......
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/thumbs/HPIM02751.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/HPIM02751.JPG)

Gussie2000
01/22/2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks.

This helps so much.

You are welcome.
I went yesterday to my mech to talk about the rust showing under the carriage & while the horse was up in the air i took this shot.I tried to get more but the damn batteries died on me.

Sprey
01/22/2010, 11:33 PM
Im anoyed at seeing everyones custom mufflers
Went to the exhaust shop he booked me in the for monday last week, right so i go there monday, they have a problem with there rollerdoor and dont know what time itl be fixed so not sure if he can do it, i said righto ill pop back tomorrow, he said sweet

so go in on the tuesday, and i get not sure if we can do it today were quite busy im thinking hmm i know your busy but you had me booked in for the monday and you couldnt do it cause of your roller door problem, so you tell me to come back tuesday but you still dont do it!.

Right so i get told to come back on friday, i take it there and i get we are real busy today i worked to 1am last night, if i get a spare 30 min ill do your muffler. im thinking ok right you tell me to come friday but then you say you cant do it.

now i get told to come wednesday next week. which will be my 4th time going there.
it better be done, mainly becase im getting anoyed at getting told a date getting there and being told they cant do it cause there too busy etc.

Im a pretty patient person but getting pissed around is pretty dam anoying.

ive used the shop before and there normaly pretty good. so to be honest wednesday is gonna be my last time or il most likely take my business elsewhere, but im sure theyl do it.

once all done ill report back with a video and pics etc :D :D

Gussie2000
01/23/2010, 07:54 AM
Im anoyed at seeing everyones custom mufflers
Went to the exhaust shop he booked me in the for monday last week, right so i go there monday, they have a problem with there rollerdoor and dont know what time itl be fixed so not sure if he can do it, i said righto ill pop back tomorrow, he said sweet

so go in on the tuesday, and i get not sure if we can do it today were quite busy im thinking hmm i know your busy but you had me booked in for the monday and you couldnt do it cause of your roller door problem, so you tell me to come back tuesday but you still dont do it!.

Right so i get told to come back on friday, i take it there and i get we are real busy today i worked to 1am last night, if i get a spare 30 min ill do your muffler. im thinking ok right you tell me to come friday but then you say you cant do it.

now i get told to come wednesday next week. which will be my 4th time going there.
it better be done, mainly becase im getting anoyed at getting told a date getting there and being told they cant do it cause there too busy etc.

Im a pretty patient person but getting pissed around is pretty dam anoying.

ive used the shop before and there normaly pretty good. so to be honest wednesday is gonna be my last time or il most likely take my business elsewhere, but im sure theyl do it.

once all done ill report back with a video and pics etc :D :D

Haha !
Your tale just makes me remember all those moments when i was just starting to date my girlfriend.

Today no gus,maybe tomorrow,(tomorrow came) I don't know gus,yes but no,i mean yes,but i'm still thinking about it.....:p

Anyways,she well worth all the hassle i went thrugh :yeso:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/Mi_1era_dama_.JPG

Sprey
01/23/2010, 02:56 PM
Haha !
Your tale just makes me remember all those moments when i was just starting to date my girlfriend.

Today no gus,maybe tomorrow,(tomorrow came) I don't know gus,yes but no,i mean yes,but i'm still thinking about it.....:p

Anyways,she well worth all the hassle i went thrugh :yeso:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/Mi_1era_dama_.JPG

Hahah man crack up! lets hope my ordeal works out the same :D

BeeVenom
01/24/2010, 03:30 PM
I've got the Power Vault muffler on my Proton with a Borla carbon fiber resonator tip at the end and it sounds very 'healthy'. Quiet when idling, nice tone when accelerating moderately, and growls/barks when you put your foot in it. My alpine S/C helps let folks know you're there too if you are being a bit agressive. God, these are fun!

don moore
01/25/2010, 08:53 PM
I like the sound ...about the power ..I think it added 100hp......lol j/k kidding
no with good fuel and good air ..its fun and can be alittle noisy when i put my lead foot into it...but it ads to the style.