PDA

View Full Version : Dead Camera after cold snap

kirk hilton
01/13/2010, 08:46 AM
Hi u all,
well after the coldest period in the UK for 30 years, the display when reversing is blank (except a few seconds displaying the word "CAMERA") rather than a view of the road behind. There is a audible click at the back of the VX when R (reverse is selected), possible a relay but not sure. I suppose I have few questions but generally I'm hoping for help.

Is there a movable protective camera cover that covers the camera when not reversing that uncovers the camera when reverse is selected (has anyone had it fail?). It's still cold has anyone had experience of a camera coming back to life after a cold period? The camera is in the rear door how can I access the camera? I know you can see a set of two clips and a set of six hex bolts accessible after removing the spare wheel - what are they for? If there is a camera cover mechanism, what's it like, and can it be repaired? If the camera itself has failed in the cold has anyone replaced it?

I know lots of question but as the camera is only on the JDM VX I don't believe it has been discussed much on the forum. A search came up with zero.

Anyway hope you can help

Regards Kirk

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 09:21 AM
Kirk,

I'm guessing since I don't have the JDM but ...

I doubt there is a protective cover over the camera. I'm guessing that there is probably not even a relay to power the camera. The camera probably receives power directly from the reverse lights.

The first step you should take is to check all of your fuses. Also check to make sure that your reverse lights are working. It's entirely possible that the reverse switch (turns on reverse lights) in the tranny is not functioning properly.

Even though you may not have a CEL, have the codes read. An error code could be stored that does not trigger the CEL (it happened on my TLC).

Tom

BTW, the electrical manual is in the download section. I think the reverse light section starts on page 112.

kirk hilton
01/13/2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Tom,

thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that during the cold period of course I've been driving the VX, and after a short trip to the dog kennel I parked up on my driveway. During the park up, the camera image did return briefly (until I turned off the ignition). The next morning the camera image was again blank and it has been the same for the past week or so.

I've also taken out the spare wheel to see what was behind it. There is a cable coming out of the enclosure that the camera is housed which has an inline connector 8 inches from the enclosure after a grommet.

As to the possible camera cover. If it doesn't move the plastic cover that covers the camera aperture can't be fully opaque (but it certain seems to be)

But that suggestion of the reverse light fuse is a good place to start further investigation. I appreciate you stateside guys might not appreciate the camera but here in the UK (and elsewhere I imagine) everything (roads, junctions, parking) is so much tighter (please not dirty jokes)

Kirk

alanbradley
01/13/2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Kirk,

There is a cover that opens to allow the camera a view of the road. the most likely diagnosis is that the cover has stuck shut (I have the problem that mine sometimes remains open as the headunit doesn't necessarily send the "shut" signal) or isn't receiving the "open" signal, but as the H/U says "camera" then that's unlikely really.

somehow you need to trigger the camera and give it a bit of a push I'd say...

Hope that helps,

Alan

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 02:36 PM
I stand corrected about the cover. It doesn't seem to be the best engineering approach but then ... I noticed they didn't ask my opinion.

I know how useful the camera can be. Our RV has one & the display went Tango Uniform recently. Lane changes must be done with extreme caution till fixed.

You might want to disconnect your battery for 30 min. Sometimes that corrects software glitches if that's the problem.

circmand
01/13/2010, 02:57 PM
It happens with locks, door handles, etc I suggest a blow dryer for a fe wminutes as well as shifting from rev to nue a few times

Sprey
01/13/2010, 04:14 PM
Yeap there is a cover as said above. Id do what circmad said and then give it a shot.

If you really want, you can actualy put a switch on the signal wires to the camera so when your driving along you can have it running too.

I can upload a diagram of how this is done.

But to actualy get to the wires is a real pain there beside the jack but theres a little metal cover thats in the way that you have to remove so that consists of undoing some of the plastic interior etc.

kirk hilton
01/21/2010, 02:46 AM
Well, the warmer weather has returned but my camera hasn't. I've tried to push the camera cover, as suggested, but no joy. No really sure how it moves/pivots (back, left, right, up down) and there doesn't seem to be movement in any direction; I don't really with to force it. It seems to be jammed. Does the camera cover work on a solenoid or a motor driven gearing (would I hear the difference)? The best answer is poss to remove the blackish plastic rear door arch (?) insert that covers the camera and camera cover. Has anyone removed the door insert? How is it possible?

Any suggestions?

Kirk

Ldub
01/21/2010, 05:09 AM
Well, the warmer weather has returned but my camera hasn't. I've tried to push the camera cover, as suggested, but no joy. No really sure how it moves/pivots (back, left, right, up down) and there doesn't seem to be movement in any direction; I don't really with to force it. It seems to be jammed. Does the camera cover work on a solenoid or a motor driven gearing (would I hear the difference)? The best answer is poss to remove the blackish plastic rear door arch (?) insert that covers the camera and camera cover. Has anyone removed the door insert? How is it possible?

Any suggestions?

Kirk

IIRC, if you remove the spare, you can see the hardware that fastens the plastic half moon cover from inside the door.

kirk hilton
01/21/2010, 08:16 AM
IIRC, if you remove the spare, you can see the hardware that fastens the plastic half moon cover from inside the door.

Yes I've seen the two clips behind the spare wheel. If the two metal clips are removed the half moon insert still seems held firm. Is it a case of a firm tap with a hammer on the two plastic pillars that protrude thru the metal of the door? I don't want 2 force (and break a pillar) if there is more to it.

Kirk

Ldub
01/21/2010, 01:14 PM
Yes I've seen the two clips behind the spare wheel. If the two metal clips are removed the half moon insert still seems held firm. Is it a case of a firm tap with a hammer on the two plastic pillars that protrude thru the metal of the door? I don't want 2 force (and break a pillar) if there is more to it.

Kirk

My "guess" would be double stick tape, but since I haven't had mine off...:_thinking

Anyone wanna kick in a more experienced opinion?

Edit...searched "half moon" & found this..http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9315&highlight=half+moon

FuddyMucker
01/21/2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Guys, I am also needing to know how to remove the half moon cover from my newly purchased VX, I have removed all 6 nuts and taken off the to clips but nothing is shifting. I even tried tapping on the center of the plastic lugs with a punch and I can now recommend the no one else does as the plastic is very thin and with 2 taps it has made a bluge visible from the outside. I can only guess that as well as the clips it must be also stuck on!

The old display head unit was broken when I got it and after following some sound advise from Alterastro I replaced it with a fantastic new headunit that suports the rear camera, Unfortunatly the Camera also seems at fault, because when in reverse it changes to the camera automatically but after 2 seconds shows "NO SIGNAL".
The camera unit has power going to it so guess its the camera itself?? either way I need the back cover off and the camera out, firstly to test it and secondly (if it is broken) to find out what replacement will fit in the space.

kirk hilton
01/21/2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Guys, I am also needing to know how to remove the half moon cover from my newly purchased VX, I have removed all 6 nuts and taken off the to clips but nothing is shifting. I even tried tapping on the center of the plastic lugs with a punch and I can now recommend the no one else does as the plastic is very thin and with 2 taps it has made a bluge visible from the outside. I can only guess that as well as the clips it must be also stuck on!

The old display head unit was broken when I got it and after following some sound advise from Alterastro I replaced it with a fantastic new headunit that suports the rear camera, Unfortunatly the Camera also seems at fault, because when in reverse it changes to the camera automatically but after 2 seconds shows "NO SIGNAL".
The camera unit has power going to it so guess its the camera itself?? either way I need the back cover off and the camera out, firstly to test it and secondly (if it is broken) to find out what replacement will fit in the space.

Hi FM,

that's exactly my experience with the half moon cover and also my concerns with the plastic lugs.

It's interesting that after a couple of seconds you get 'no signal' as I just get the normal 'Camera' message suggesting that it's just the cover that not moving out of the way which is a fault.

The half moon insert is the same on the US VX so hopefully the guys can give advice. It might be that this issue is raised on another thread (ie not this JDM thread)

Kirk

Sprey
01/21/2010, 08:13 PM
IIRC it is held on with double sided tape like the rest of the cladding pieces.
Maybe use some dental floss and and try to cut through the tape.

And to your answer i think it is motorised, as when i turn mine on and off i can hear the flap shut.
it goes up and down.

Ill try find a pic of the half moon without the cladding on it. if i get time.

FuddyMucker
01/22/2010, 02:44 AM
Done it!

Yes it is also held on with double sided tape (quite well):winky:

1st off you need to undo the 2 middle nuts (out off the 6) and slide off the 2 tin clips from the plastic lugs. Then I took one of the babys solid plastic dinner knives and sharpened it with an angle grinder (while the missus wasn't looking). Then I pushed it between the plastic half moon cover and the metal boot and followed it around the outside. Worked a treat, now I can remove the other 4 nuts and take off the camera.

Hope this helps (and you have a plastic knife to hand :winky:)

Sprey
01/22/2010, 02:50 AM
Done it!

Yes it is also held on with double sided tape (quite well):winky:

1st off you need to undo the 2 middle nuts (out off the 6) and slide off the 2 tin clips from the plastic lugs. Then I took one of the babys solid plastic dinner knives and sharpened it with an angle grinder (while the missus wasn't looking). Then I pushed it between the plastic half moon cover and the metal boot and followed it around the outside. Worked a treat, now I can remove the other 4 nuts and take off the camera.

Hope this helps (and you have a plastic knife to hand :winky:)

Sweet good job! Glad it worked out.
As we all love pics would you mind taking pics of the setup etc?

kirk hilton
01/22/2010, 04:24 AM
That sounds promising - I'll prob try it at the weekend. Love to see pics of the half moon removed. Hope you get your camera working. If I find my camera is ok but not the cover I'm thinking of replacing the moving cover with a piece of persplex (if the cover isn't an easy fix) as if it failed once it sure will fail again just when I need to use the camera.

Kirk

FuddyMucker
01/22/2010, 04:25 AM
Ok here are 2 pics, the camera would also normally be behind this cover but I already have that in bits trying to fix it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/FuddyMucker/VX/101_6561.jpg

FuddyMucker
01/22/2010, 04:28 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/FuddyMucker/VX/101_6564.jpg

FuddyMucker
01/22/2010, 04:30 AM
And Yes I know I need to sort out the date on the camera, just another job on the list (at the bottom of the list)

:yeso:

FuddyMucker
01/22/2010, 06:28 AM
I have now dismantled the camera and can confirm that the camera does have a protective metal cover that driven open by a geared motor, mine closes but dosen't open

circmand
01/22/2010, 02:17 PM
my camera is mounted on my license plate with no extra cover. All these other fancy features are neat but end up costing more money to fix KISS

FuddyMucker
01/22/2010, 02:23 PM
Well tomorrow I will be replacing the camera for a better quality one with automatic night vision, the plan is to install it within the old camera body so that there is no noticeable diffrence from the outside.
I will document my progress.........

Sprey
01/22/2010, 04:35 PM
Sweet Fuddy. With adding in a aftermarket camera, you might loose the flap that goes up and down over the stock one.

I drive with my camera on all the time, you do notice a tad of drips of it when it rains or dirt but otherwise it hardly get dirty.

if you have any problems with wiring etc just post up and can then try sort it out. :winky:

FuddyMucker
01/23/2010, 02:21 PM
:smilewink I have now got a fully working revercing camera :bwgy:

I have also typed up a HOW TO document with photos, it is in word and I don't know how to upload it to this site?

If anyone would like a copy then send me a private message including your email address and I will send you a copy.

Ldub
01/24/2010, 12:33 AM
Maybe email it to the Boss?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=4

Grats on the fix...:_wrench::thumbup:

FuddyMucker
01/24/2010, 12:40 AM
Boss I don't have your email address and that link says I don't have access with my log on?

Moncha
01/24/2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up Larry, and thank you for the how to on this.. I'll get it posted here very soon.

kirk hilton
06/14/2010, 04:51 AM
Just an update about my dead camera ...

Although I nearly followed Fuddy's example and replace the camera I decided to remove the clarion camera (Fuddy's instructions were most useful in removing the camera) and sent it off to Clarion UK. After the very long cold winter I wasn't sure if the camera (CC-9301) or the Power box (CA-188) or inter-cabling were faulty.

Well it appears that it was the camera at fault. Clarion UK (in Swindon) confirmed it was the power regular that had blown and fortunately they would be able to replace it with a regulator from similar heavy duty camera (as the VX camera was a special for Isuzu a direct replacement is not available). The cost of mending the unit is £44.00 and would carry a 6 month guarantee, so hopefully I'll get a working camera back in the next few days and once reinstalled I'll once again have a working original camera (and fingers crossed it isn't the power box as well). But not bad for 44 quid for the investigating, the repair and the postage. A very friendly, helpful team down there as well - great customer care.

kirk hilton
06/23/2010, 02:35 PM
Received my repaired reversing camera from Clarion last Saturday. Connected it all back up and it worked straight off. So I now, after a absenteeism of six month, have the rear view displayed when I'm reversing. I also have the plastic rear view lens which I added when I lost the camera - which I can highly recommend. So I'm once again a happy chap - although if I don't get a job very soon I my have to sell my VX