PDA

View Full Version : Might take my VX to Japan

Marlin
01/12/2010, 06:25 PM
So it looks like my next orders will takes us to Japan. I have until next Aug. I wonder if I can take my VX with me. If I can, its going, and while we are there,it will get a new engine at some point. I wonder if I could pull off a mod to enable 2wd while over there? The possibilities are endless...maybe a swap for a JDM, just a thought.

Hell, maybe JoFoto's ORW will make a flight out to see me after her European tour is complete;)

Mile High VX
01/12/2010, 06:32 PM
I have the JDM front fender mirror if you go, you'll need one...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Of course you'll either need to mod the mirror or mod your VX to be a right-hand drive.

Triathlete
01/12/2010, 06:33 PM
Where at in J'pan? I spent just short of a year in Iwakuni. I would say leave the VX at home and buy a very small car (the roads are narrow and crowded) and a bike. 90% of the people there get around by bike and public transport (train).

Knivx
01/12/2010, 07:23 PM
Why not get a JDM VX then when you come back stateside bring it back with you! Thats what I'd do....:bgwb::yesy::yesb::yeso::yesgray::smilewink

Sprey
01/12/2010, 08:48 PM
Either way if you go Marlin you could be our Jdm parts supplier ? :D :D

Knigh7s
01/12/2010, 11:27 PM
I'm with ^^... A JDM supplier would be great, considering I lost both of mine there last year...

As for the OP... I would sell and pick up a JDM...

1.) The cost of getting it shipped out there (if the military doesn't pick up the tab)
2.) Shaken (vehicle inspection)
3.) Japanese NOx and PM Law

You would be safer to just buy a JDM...

I lived in Okinawa for 8 years... and frequently flew to Tokyo and other locations... Been wishing to go back for the past 10 years!!!

don moore
01/13/2010, 12:02 AM
sweet

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 05:42 AM
Marlin,

I'll babysit your VX whilst you are gone:)

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 09:58 AM
Poor Japan... I kid, I kid! ;) How many times have you had to relocate now? I am pretty sure my cousin shipped his mini van to Italy when he was stationed there. You might just luck out! I'd love to spend some time in Japan myself...

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 10:03 AM
I'd love for you to spend some time in Japan too. Take Handee with you PLEEEEZ!!!

handeeman
01/13/2010, 10:11 AM
Poor Japan... I kid, I kid! ;) How many times have you had to relocate now? I am pretty sure my cousin shipped his mini van to Italy when he was stationed there. You might just luck out! I'd love to spend some time in Japan myself...

I'd love for you to spend some time in Japan too. Take Handee with you PLEEEEZ!!!

I'd love to go to Japan. My roomate in college was from Osaka, I got my second Black Belt from him ( well it went with my black shoes).

Shirley you jest (I know don't call you Shirley) as for me being in Japan (PLEEZE), I believe they have internet there too. You can run but ya can't hide.

rowhard
01/13/2010, 10:24 AM

I think Japan has allot tougher emissions standards then Italy. Something like they can only run a engine 50k miles then it has to be swapped out, hence the reason so many used jap engines being available here.

Anyway Chris, hope you can get yourself hooked up with some of the local JDM clubs and start sourcing some of the neat stuff they have that we don't, and of course it would be a two way street if them need anything we have.

Good luck and be sure to have a great time while you and the family are there. One of the many things I miss from my military career

tom4bren
01/13/2010, 10:51 AM
Shirley you jest (I know don't call you Shirley) as for me being in Japan (PLEEZE), I believe they have internet there too. You can run but ya can't hide.

True but there is a VERY slight chance I will be in Gainsville next month. That's entirely too close to you for my comfort zone.:)

handeeman
01/13/2010, 11:29 AM
True but there is a VERY slight chance I will be in Gainsville next month. That's entirely too close to you for my comfort zone.:)

Dude, that's fantastic......with that much notice most of us will be able to get outta state. Or at least have a mini meet in Miami (about 6 hrs.from Gainesville).

Marlin, would the Dept.of Defense pay to take to and from?

Marlin
01/13/2010, 03:22 PM
I would be heading to either Yoko or Sasebo. I have been to both a dozen times or so. Uncle Sam will ship one, and store one, they do maintenance on them while they are stored. As for small cars, they are not all small, there are a lot of 4wd mini vans, I think they are Mitsubishi, and they are sweet!! Minivan with a lift and a brushguard.
I would be more than happy to be a JDM supplier, and I would have access to US mail, so shipping is not too crazy.
In my 13 yrs, I have been stationed in (listed in chronological order to present)
Orlando, Albany, Norfolk(armpit of America), San Diego, back to Norfolk, Guam, back to San Diego and now Charleston. That is a lot of moving. I actually enjoy it as sick as that sounds.

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 03:49 PM
I would be heading to either Yoko or Sasebo. I have been to both a dozen times or so. Uncle Sam will ship one, and store one, they do maintenance on them while they are stored. As for small cars, they are not all small, there are a lot of 4wd mini vans, I think they are Mitsubishi, and they are sweet!! Minivan with a lift and a brushguard.
I would be more than happy to be a JDM supplier, and I would have access to US mail, so shipping is not too crazy.
In my 13 yrs, I have been stationed in (listed in chronological order to present)
Orlando, Albany, Norfolk(armpit of America), San Diego, back to Norfolk, Guam, back to San Diego and now Charleston. That is a lot of moving. I actually enjoy it as sick as that sounds.I can't believe I am about to say I think I understand you. ;) I sometimes wish I wouldn't have bought a house because I am so tied down by it (perhaps in the butt crack of America) - I think I like not having roots, and a change of scenery is really nice. I think I would like to spend some time in all the places you listed... even the armpit of America, just for the experience of it.

Marlin
01/13/2010, 03:55 PM
I can't believe I am about to say I think I understand you. ;) I sometimes wish I wouldn't have bought a house because I am so tied down by it (perhaps in the butt crack of America) - I think I like not having roots, and a change of scenery is really nice. I think I would like to spend some time in all the places you listed... even the armpit of America, just for the experience of it.

Yep, it gets better, as a kid, I lived in Missouri, Georgia, Connecticut, and finally Ohio. I have moved around my whole life, I am used to it.

All these places, and that is where I base my dislike of So Cal from. Followed closely by Norfolk. My favorite so far is Charleston, because its cheap and the people are pretty nice.

Triathlete
01/13/2010, 05:07 PM
13 years and thats it? In 4.5 I "visited" San Diego, Millington Tn, Whidbey Island Wa, Cherry Point NC, Twenty Nine Palms Ca, Thialand, Korea, Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Oslo, Philipines, Spain,...:bwgy:
Yeah, we got around!

Marlin
01/13/2010, 05:37 PM
13 years and thats it? In 4.5 I "visited" San Diego, Millington Tn, Whidbey Island Wa, Cherry Point NC, Twenty Nine Palms Ca, Thialand, Korea, Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Oslo, Philipines, Spain,...:bwgy:
Yeah, we got around!

Not visited, those are the places I have lived, meaning my household goods were moved there and my wife and I lived there.
Places visited:
Vancouver, Hawaii x5, Brisbane Australia x2, Hong Kong x2, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Pusan South Korea x2, Sasebo and Yokohama Japan 12 or so times, Dubai UAE x2, Baharain(SP) x1. And about 300 days or so of tooling around in circles off of North Korea and in the Gulf.

ZEUS
01/13/2010, 05:59 PM
Seems like everyone enlisted gets stationed in Guam at some point or another... a friend of mine bounced off a windshield while on tour there. OK, so I only know 3 people that went there, but still!

Marlin
01/13/2010, 06:17 PM
Seems like everyone enlisted gets stationed in Guam at some point or another... a friend of mine bounced off a windshield while on tour there. OK, so I only know 3 people that went there, but still!

Very strategic location, I would go back in a heartbeat, there is only one hobby I like more than crawlin, and that is offshore saltwater fishing. Although it is much more expensive than wheeling, it makes golf look like a poor man's hobby. I miss my boat sometimes, a Mako 191 with twin honda outboards, but with kids, I would have absolutely no time to take care of it. It was good times though.

VCrossfan
01/13/2010, 08:07 PM
If your going to pay the high cost off shipping one oversea's, I would sell yours and buy one in Japan drive it there then bring the JDM VX back to the USA. There not going for much $$ than ours are... my 2c

samneil2000
01/13/2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah, we got around!

Cool! I live just about 10 minutes north of Millington.
OT I know...

pbkid
01/14/2010, 08:10 AM
my vote is to bring a JDM home... then you could have the 2wd switch built in!!

ZEUS
01/14/2010, 10:13 AM
Isn't it harder to bring a vehicle back to the States due to DOT safety requirements? One thing that pops into my head is the side marker lights need to be on the corner. I think Chris is right to rather take his 3.5 powered and personally modified VX with him and look for a JDM transfer case... or five... to swap in US spec VX's.

vt_maverick
01/14/2010, 10:25 AM
... Norfolk(armpit of America), ...

Clearly you have never been to New Jersey. ;)

Marlin
01/14/2010, 11:10 AM
Isn't it harder to bring a vehicle back to the States due to DOT safety requirements? One thing that pops into my head is the side marker lights need to be on the corner. I think Chris is right to rather take his 3.5 powered and personally modified VX with him and look for a JDM transfer case... or five... to swap in US spec VX's.

Who knows what I could find over there, and I believe you are correct about bringing their model back. No can do, unless it was a pure ORV. I could do that, would be easy in Utah with their new licensing requirements.
As for taking mine, Uncle Sam foots the bill, so no worries there.

Scott Harness
01/14/2010, 01:28 PM
As for taking mine, Uncle Sam foots the bill, so no worries there.

(just poking you wlth a stick):p SO...I'm paying(taxes) to ship the VX around!:rotate:

Triathlete
01/14/2010, 01:32 PM
Cool! I live just about 10 minutes north of Millington.
OT I know...

Unfortunately I didn't particularly care for Millington/Memphis. :(

Marlin
01/14/2010, 01:41 PM
(just poking you wlth a stick):p SO...I'm paying(taxes) to ship the VX around!:rotate:

Yep, in exchange, I leave my family months at a time to run the nuclear reactor onboard whatever assigned aircraft carrier I am on:)

Also keep in mind that you are about to foot the bill for millions of unemployed, and illegal non tax paying person's health care, and not to mention the billions spent so that people could get nice new cars on your dime in an effort to keep afloat car companies that have created sub standard vehicles for decades.
Sorry, my thread, I can jack it:yesb:

I didn't want to pop the news too soon pending the transaction, but I am buying another VX. It has a cracked block, so I will have parts available soon. I may track down an engine and get it running again, but it is an ebony with black on red, cosmetically sound. I will start a new thread when I am done and decided what I will do.

nfpgasmask
01/14/2010, 01:48 PM
Why not get a JDM VX then when you come back stateside bring it back with you! Thats what I'd do....:bgwb::yesy::yesb::yeso::yesgray::smilewink

x2

Bart

Scott Harness
01/14/2010, 04:35 PM
Yep, in exchange, I leave my family months at a time to run the nuclear reactor onboard whatever assigned aircraft carrier I am on:)

Also keep in mind that you are about to foot the bill for millions of unemployed, and illegal non tax paying person's health care, and not to mention the billions spent so that people could get nice new cars on your dime in an effort to keep afloat car companies that have created sub standard vehicles for decades.
Sorry, my thread, I can jack it:yesb:

I didn't want to pop the news too soon pending the transaction, but I am buying another VX. It has a cracked block, so I will have parts available soon. I may track down an engine and get it running again, but it is an ebony with black on red, cosmetically sound. I will start a new thread when I am done and decided what I will do.
Oh! the waste is unbelievable all across the government.Especially when they could PAY for practically everything with just taxing pot & prostitution!:yesb: sorry t/j

Marlin
01/14/2010, 05:51 PM
Oh! the waste is unbelievable all across the government.Especially when they could PAY for practically everything with just taxing pot & prostitution!:yesb: sorry t/j

LOL, the oldest profession in the world, and its a renewable resource and its green to boot. Should keep everyone happy. How many carbon credits would that be worth?

Scott Harness
01/15/2010, 08:42 AM
LOL, the oldest profession in the world, and its a renewable resource and its green to boot. Should keep everyone happy. How many carbon credits would that be worth?

I like the way you think! LOL

PK
01/15/2010, 02:08 PM

Love the way you think, but -

Your carbon credits would all go up in smoke when "she who must be obeyed" found out and heaped all your belongings on the front lawn and made a bonfire out of them.:bwgy::smilewink:mad:

PK

Marlin
01/15/2010, 04:42 PM
Love the way you think, but -

Your carbon credits would all go up in smoke when "she who must be obeyed" found out and heaped all your belongings on the front lawn and made a bonfire out of them.:bwgy::smilewink:mad:

PK

Ummm, you arent talkin about ORW are you? She is with CrotchRocket now:smilewink

Jgauvin921
01/16/2010, 02:43 PM
I was stationed in Japan from 06 to 09. Japan is very very expensive. depending how long you will be there you will have to JCI your car which is a min of 500 then road tax is ever year that runs 180 because your car will be a E-300 plate E=imported from states and the 300=larger then a 2.4 liter. Insurance prices, all depends on your rank and size of motor when i was there we used AIU but all the insurance companies off base are usually the same price. they were around 180 for 3 months and that was because i was an e-4. If your tires stick pass your fenders they will not JCI it. if you want some after market parts or some cheap wheels and tires go to Upgarage.

Marlin
01/16/2010, 03:13 PM
I was stationed in Japan from 06 to 09. Japan is very very expensive. depending how long you will be there you will have to JCI your car which is a min of 500 then road tax is ever year that runs 180 because your car will be a E-300 plate E=imported from states and the 300=larger then a 2.4 liter. Insurance prices, all depends on your rank and size of motor when i was there we used AIU but all the insurance companies off base are usually the same price. they were around 180 for 3 months and that was because i was an e-4. If your tires stick pass your fenders they will not JCI it. if you want some after market parts or some cheap wheels and tires go to Upgarage.

Cool, thanks for the info. My tires currently do not stick out. As an E7, should be a bit cheaper, and I will worry about all that when the time comes. Hopefully the wife can teach english while we are there since she has her bachelors. They offered a job for her when we in Guam to go to japan to teach kids. Good money.
I have quite a bit of time to worry bout that. I will contact you later to get info.

vt_maverick
01/17/2010, 12:01 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. My tires currently do not stick out. As an E7, should be a bit cheaper, and I will worry about all that when the time comes. Hopefully the wife can teach english while we are there since she has her bachelors. They offered a job for her when we in Guam to go to japan to teach kids. Good money.
I have quite a bit of time to worry bout that. I will contact you later to get info.

Don't they give discounts to lower ranks? Or is it an age thing?

Marlin
01/17/2010, 12:24 PM
Don't they give discounts to lower ranks? Or is it an age thing?

I think it is an age thing, jsut like here, or you can think of it like freebies, they give stuff to rich people who can afford it, and charge out the *** to us poor folk, makes no sense, but that is the way it is.