PDA

View Full Version : Bars

edwin
08/12/2003, 06:49 AM
Hello all -
This is my 1st post -
I'm looking for some advise on where I can find some chrome "push bars" for my VX.
Also, is there any way that the back bar can be installed w/out making a whole on the back bumper piece?
Feedback would be appreciate it.
ThaX -

AnalogVX
08/12/2003, 07:18 AM
Welcome to the board! The Westin Safari Bar works up front. Check out Tones site for mounting brackets to adapt it to the VX http://www.tonemonday.com/accessories.htm

Alot of info can be found by using the search feature above left.

SPAZZ
08/12/2003, 07:21 AM
are you talking about the tow hitch by Tone, when you say "back bar"???:confused: and did you mean hole, instead of whole?

Dallas4u
08/12/2003, 08:06 AM
If you are looking for a true "push" bar, I don't think anyone has mounted anything that could be considered a push bar yet... I haven't seen anything, but there are a few custom made grill bars out there that may be somewhat strong enough to do so. The Westin Safari bar is a light bar, and that is about it. It has fat, hollow tubes that would surely buckle if forced to do much of anything. I have one, and already have a dent it in from probably no more than a rock on the highway.

There is at least one tow hitch (which is what I think you are referring to when you say "back bar") offered by Uhaul that hangs a bit lower than the one offered here by the entrepreneur Tone Monday (http://tonemonday.com/accessories.htm) . Tone's hitch looks great, but needs a hole cut. The Uhaul I believe hangs low enough to fit under the rear cladding, but you lose a bit of stance height.

edyavno
08/12/2003, 01:13 PM
Welcome.
Another New Yorker, another Ed. :)

As others pointed out, the only readily availabe solution for the front is Westin Safari bar with Tone's custom brackets.
Not sure what you want to push with it, but I did push a few other vehicles with it duiring this winter's snowstorms, and it holds up fine so far, but I wouldn't do it too often. I'm assuming you want it to protect the front cladding in tight parking spots here in NYC - that's what i got mine for - it's more than sufficient for the job.

For the rear protection, I have the the step bar with tone's hitch, that's the one you need the hole for. :)
It's more of a nutch actually, and the final result looks like factory install.
Again, as others pointed out, you can use the Uhaul/Dalan hitch, that hangs lower and doesn't require cutting the rear cladding. Don't know how well the step bar would look with it though.

We can meet up some day if you want to check out the safari bar and hitch/step bar.

paultvx
08/12/2003, 10:50 PM
I don't know if this has been suggested before... but can't we use Tone's brackets to mount a custom made push bar, bull bar, pre-runner bar, or whatever bar that is sturdier than the Westin "Safari" bar?

Tone?

Dallas4u
08/13/2003, 08:22 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but, of course, whatever bar is used will need to have some sort of custom fabbed mounting to work with Tone's brackets. If the bar is larger and heavier, it also may need to attach in another location as well for a sturdier mount.

I was looking at prerunner bars again the other night, and I found a nice one for $149. I'm all for a prerunner bar!

Tone
08/13/2003, 10:49 AM
SB brackets were specially designed for the Westin light bar but are much stronger than I anticipated as I have ‘bumped’ a few vehicles at 10—15mph and they held, protecting the front of my VX. But, even if you found a bar that measured the same, the brackets are not strong enough to back up a true push bar.

I can have brackets made for anything but need to know what existing bar fits the contours of the VX - my supplier here does not keep enough bars in stock that I can hold up and test so if someone in a larger market could do that, I could have the brackets built. This of course would not be strong enough to support a winch as that needs supports through the bumper cover and is best done custom, on the vehicle.

MrCrowley
08/13/2003, 05:57 PM
Semi-private joke for Tone and the gang. Are you trying to go for #3 Tone? or just fooling with us. LOL dont bump anybody else

paultvx
08/13/2003, 10:54 PM
What I was thinking was... since we've got brackets already... and some of us are looking into custom built bars (for mostly cosmetic reasons), why not have the bars designed to work with the brackets rather than reinventing the wheel. Personally, I probably won't mount any bars upfront unless a pre-runner style bar becomes available.