PDA

View Full Version : High-Def Movies

VXR
01/05/2010, 07:00 PM
Have any of you seen Blade Runner on blu-ray or hd-dvd?

don moore
01/05/2010, 08:50 PM
love that movie.. no hd or blueray

Ldub
01/06/2010, 06:12 AM
Yes, own the box set with all versions...two - :thumbup:

WormGod
01/06/2010, 07:13 AM
Saw it in 1080i on HDNet, but never in 1080p. It stands up wonderfully with it's age. Other oldies I would recommend that stand up well and look great in HiDef:

Aliens
The Thing (Carpenter's)
American Graffiti
Close Encounters
Cool Hand Luke

Really looking forward to watching tv and playing games in 1080p.... which should be able to happen today. Freight company is shipping my 73" tv sometime after 11am so I can finally retire my 10 year old 48" Mitsubishi rear projection 1080i. She already has a good home to go to and will make a new family very happy.

snowtrooper1966
01/06/2010, 07:31 AM
Blade Runner Blu is amazing (just ask Bart) ;-)

A few classics that were mastered in HD well and stand the test of time:
Day the Earth Stood Still
The Searchers
Sleeping Beauty

Newest addition, recent theatrical Star Trek, super visuals and outstanding soundtrack!

Ceck 'em out if you haven't already......
Best,

don moore
01/06/2010, 07:52 AM
whats better BLUE-RAY or HD

snowtrooper1966
01/06/2010, 09:09 AM
I was originally in the HD DVD camp, but once the format war ended with Blu Ray the heir apparent, bought a dual format (HD DVD and Blu Ray) unit, so I could continue using my existing HD DVD titles, while enjoying the new releases Blu had to offer.
I have since replaced my HD DVD titles with their Blu counterparts, with a few exceptions, and gone strictly Blu with an Oppo BDP-83.
Superb playback of all high def audio codecs (Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master HD) as well as top rated DVD upconversion.
Kind of a moot point as to which is better, unless you buy a dual format player, of which there a only really two, and neither of which being properly supported by the manufacturer, IMHO.
That was really the biggest reason I bails out on dula format and went with Oppo, superb customer service!
Best,

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 09:12 AM
I own the HD briefcase and the Blu-Ray box set. And I agree, the absolute finest restoration I have seen of an older movie, and it just happens to be my favorite movie of all time.

:thumbup: Bart

CrnCnn
01/06/2010, 09:16 AM
I see all these older movies come out in Blu-Ray but I wonder how great can they be. They were not shot in High def way back when. But is sounds like they have been doing a good job with it.

I did see one flew over the cuckoos nest the other day at BB and thought, why would you need that in Blu-Ray? I like the movie, but Blu-Ray?

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 09:16 AM
James, where did you get your Oppo? I have an older region free Oppo and I love it but it is only 720p. We just recently got a nice TV for the bedroom (our Xmas present to eachother) and I want a region free Oppo Blu-Ray player for it. Did you just get yours on Feebay or something?

Bart

Scott Harness
01/06/2010, 09:21 AM
I want a region free

Bart

What's the point of this regional thing?...to make money:confused:

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 09:47 AM
What's the point of this regional thing?...to make money:confused:

No, so I can watch foreign DVDs!! I watch lots of imports that are not released here in the States. So, if you have a region free DVD player, you can watch movies from all over the world, in NTSC or PAL, DVDs, VCDs, M-PEG CDs, etc. For example, if I put a PAL DVD in my PS3 it will give me an error that says, "incorrect DVD format" or something like that. In my Oppo it plays fine.

Another great example is that in the UK the entire Tick animated series was released on DVD, and in the US, we only released season one and two minus a few episodes. So I bought the UK version and I can watch them on my region free Oppo player! SPOOOOOOOON! :D

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 09:55 AM
I see all these older movies come out in Blu-Ray but I wonder how great can they be. They were not shot in High def way back when. But is sounds like they have been doing a good job with it.

I did see one flew over the cuckoos nest the other day at BB and thought, why would you need that in Blu-Ray? I like the movie, but Blu-Ray?

It definitely depends. For example, the Blade Runner blu-ray is phenomenal. The Road Warrior blu-ray is very good when compared to the standard version. I also bought Full Metal Jacket on blu-ray and it was good, but nothing to write home about. So I think it really depends on how much care they put into the restoration. But yeah, newer films are gonna look way better since they were shot with the intension to go to an HD format anyway.

Still, I find that the PS3 does an excellent job upconverting standard DVDs. My Lord of The Rings box set still looks awesome.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
01/06/2010, 10:15 AM
SPOON!
Classic, first comic ever read that made milk squirt outta my nose. Kind of like reading a post from L Bud;-)

Seems alot of HD remasters are direct conversions of their DVD counterparts, but on occasion, someone seems to care enough to go the extra mile and do a transfer wothy of high def, like the ones I mentioned above.
The other bonus is high def audio codecs, usually uncompressed, that blow the doors off what is on the DVD version.

Bart, bought my Oppo direct.
That particular one is not region hacked, but there are now hacks available from 3rd parties for it. Oppo is famous for it's region free DVD players, but were not allowed to for the Blu player in the licenseing agreement from the Blu Ray Autority Consortium.....
Best,

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 10:18 AM
Bart, bought my Oppo direct.
That particular o e is not region hacked, but there are now hacks available from 3rd parties for it. Oppo is famous for it's region free DVD players, but were not allowed to for the Blu player in the licenseing agreement from the Blu Ray Autority Consortium.....
Best,

So that would explain the price tags like this I keep seeing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-OPPO-BDP-83-BLU-RAY-DVD-UNIVERSAL-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ280447638452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDVD _Players_Recorders?hash=item414bfb5bb4

Are you saying that these players will be region free but yet they WILL NOT work with a non-US Blu-ray disc? Or are you just saying Oppo is "not allowed" to make it work and people have to do it on their own?

Bart

Scott Harness
01/06/2010, 10:26 AM
No, so I can watch foreign DVDs!! Tick animated series SPOOOOOOOON! :D

Bart

What I meant was,Why does it have to be regional?
I realize there are different formats,but why are "stuck or placed" in different regions?
I've heard if you rent a movie on the East coast, it won't play in a player bought on the West coast.(Myth?)
ps Tick was great!

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 10:44 AM
What I meant was,Why does it have to be regional?
I realize there are different formats,but why are "stuck or placed" in different regions?
I've heard if you rent a movie on the East coast, it won't play in a player bought on the West coast.(Myth?)
ps Tick was great!

I believe it has to do with international copyright laws. For an in depth explanation, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

There are region encodings and then there are video formats (NTSC and PAL). Most of Europe is PAL, whereas the US is NTSC. So the region free players will let you play both PAL and NTSC formats. 99% of all "normal" store bought DVD players will not have the hardware do decode and convert a PAL signal to NTSC.

And yes, the Tick animated is one of my all time favorite cartoons. If you liked the Tick, you will likely love the Venture Bros. :yes:

Bart

snowtrooper1966
01/06/2010, 10:44 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-OPPO-BDP-83-BLU-RAY-DVD-UNIVERSAL-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ280447638452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDVD _Players_Recorders?hash=item414bfb5bb4

Are you saying that these players will be region free but yet they WILL NOT work with a non-US Blu-ray disc? Or are you just saying Oppo is "not allowed" to make it work and people have to do it on their own?

Bart

Oppo BDP-83 direct from Oppo: $499

Oppo was not allowed to implimemt the region hack. Can be done by 3rd parry.
Best,

Cobrajet
01/06/2010, 11:43 AM
So, the question still remains. Which is better??? Beta or VHS?!? :_confused

Scott Harness
01/06/2010, 12:16 PM
I believe it has to do with international copyright laws. For an in depth explanation, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

There are region encodings and then there are video formats (NTSC and PAL). Most of Europe is PAL, whereas the US is NTSC. So the region free players will let you play both PAL and NTSC formats. 99% of all "normal" store bought DVD players will not have the hardware do decode and convert a PAL signal to NTSC.

And yes, the Tick animated is one of my all time favorite cartoons. If you liked the Tick, you will likely love the Venture Bros. :yes:

Bart
Thanks for the info

snowtrooper1966
01/06/2010, 12:26 PM

Beta;-)

Triathlete
01/06/2010, 12:35 PM

Laser Disc! The original HD.:bwgy:

nfpgasmask
01/06/2010, 02:14 PM
I sat through G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra the other day. OMFG what a travesty.

Here's what I don't understand:

1) Who the hell cares about the 1980s G.I. Joe line of toys, comics and cartoons?

2) The answer: The fans of course (I.E. the kids that played with the toys, read the comics, and watched the cartoons) and likely no one else!

3) Why does Hollywood make movies?

4) The answer: To make money.

5) Who in their right mind thought that it would be a good idea to make a G.I.Joe movie that is the cinematic equivalent of kicking all the fans in the nuts?

And here's a movie where all the nonsense going on I could deal with because it is a movie based on a really cheesey comic/cartoon/toy for kids. So I can handle the "nanomites" and some of the other crazy stuff.

What I can't handle however, is the damn near complete abandonment of the original characters. Save for Snake Eyes which looked pretty damn good and almost identical to the original toy design, everyone else in the film was completely RUINED. Storm Shadow looked like a J-rocker. The Baroness DOES NOT become a "good guy". And Cobra Commander? My nuts STILL hurt from that one.

Bart

Hiredgoon
01/06/2010, 05:15 PM
I'm finding that the best thing is older movies that have been "upgraded"--I've never seen Big Trouble in Little China look so good, and Silence of the Lambs was gorgeous as well. It's no real feat to make the new Star Trek look great, but what they've done with some of those older ones is amazing.

Triathlete
01/06/2010, 05:37 PM
Big Trouble in Little China

Love that movie!

djvx
01/06/2010, 10:23 PM
Do any of you know if 3-D can be viewed at home with any amount of quality. I saw Avatar in 3d at an IMAX theatre and I was ducking as stuff whizzed past my head--it was "that real" Im just not much of a "going out to the movies" kinda guy so I'd love to get that experience from the comfort of my own living room

Riff Raff
01/07/2010, 03:49 AM
3D-TV is right on the horizon from manufacturers like Toshiba and Sony. Check-out CES 2010 on the web, and you'll see the Toshiba #ZX900 cell series TV available in 55" & 65" that upconverts standard 2-D into "simulated" 3-D.

Visit www.SonyStyle.com and you'll find Sony is at the brink of having true 3D-TV accompanied by shutter-release eye glasses where both its new Bravia TV & 3D electronic shutter eyeglasses will accomplish "true" 3-D in the home. This year 2010 will have many technological breakthroughs in home video entertainment, and they say 3D content will be available in cable broadcast in 2011 from your local TV Cable Provider.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the OPPO BDP-83 is quite impressive. However, Sony has two new models of a 400-Disc Changer that plays Blu-Ray, SD-DVD, and CD-Audio all in one unit carasel. Just permanently load your entire collection of discs (BD/DVD/CD) and forget it. Everything in your entire disc library is available at the touch of your remote control (no more getting up off the sofa to pick-out a single disc). Plus, they have a single "rent slot" upfront for playing a single disc without pulling out the entire carasel tray (true genious). A versatile Sony 400-Disc Changer will be one of my purchases later this year.

Years ago it was BetaMax (Sony) vs VHS (JVC) war where VHS (JVC) was the winner. Last year, it was HD-DVD (Toshiba) vs Blu-Ray (Sony) war where Blu-Ray (Sony) was the winner. Since Blu-Ray discs are so expensive, I would rather "rent" them first before buying. To my knowledge, NetFlix is the only place you can "rent" Blu-Ray movies. When you find a movie that is truly a keeper, then you can buy the Blu-Ray version for your permanent video library.

VXR
01/07/2010, 05:52 PM
The Road Warrior blu-ray is very good when compared to the standard version.

X2 just watched last night for the first time in hd excellent restoration.

don moore
01/07/2010, 10:01 PM
VHS

WormGod
01/08/2010, 07:41 AM
Gave my new 73" DLP it's maiden power up last night. HDMI Bluray w/ District 9..... !@#!!!!!!!!!!! Best money I spent all year.

Planning on watching The Thing tonight with some friends over.

Next step is to upgrade the receiver w/ an HDMI compat one. Maybe this weekend. ;)

Also, not exactly old flicks, but for films that look really good in 1080p, consider Wall-E, Serenity, and even Riddick. They stand out in my book as some of the best looking hi-def flicks, though not exactly the best flicks, heh.

nfpgasmask
01/08/2010, 08:22 AM
X2 just watched last night for the first time in hd excellent restoration.

Yeah, it's awesome because you actually really SEE the vehicles in HD. All the little details are clear now. Pretty sweet.

Bart

newthings
01/08/2010, 11:15 AM
Any market for a working Laser Disk with about 50 titles?
Shipping would be a killer. The disks are heavy.
Just one of the many weird things I have collected.
Roy

nfpgasmask
01/08/2010, 11:22 AM
Any market for a working Laser Disk with about 50 titles?
Shipping would be a killer. The disks are heavy.
Just one of the many weird things I have collected.
Roy

Probably to a collector, especially if you have some of the rare LD titles like some of the special editions and Criterion stuff.

Bart

Hiredgoon
01/08/2010, 07:21 PM
Serenity is excellent, but to be honest I'm biased. I loved Firefly from the day it premiered. I'm still choked they cancelled it and it's been years. Be careful though, it's a gateway series--next thing you know you'll be buying all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

WormGod
01/11/2010, 07:41 AM
I could not get into Firefly, but I fully enjoyed Serenity.

Watched Leon: The Professional (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/) in 1080p this weekend. I almost forgot what a ride that movie is.

nfpgasmask
01/11/2010, 10:19 AM
Watched Leon: The Professional (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/) in 1080p this weekend. I almost forgot what a ride that movie is.

One of my all time favs. Luc Besson's best picture ever, imo. Also one of my favorite Gary Oldman performances. Is the Blu-ray version uncut?

Bart

WormGod
01/12/2010, 07:00 AM
One of my all time favs. Luc Besson's best picture ever, imo. Also one of my favorite Gary Oldman performances. Is the Blu-ray version uncut?

Bart

Wow, ya know, I can not recall. I have seen the movie so much (even own the DC on DVD) that I don't know what is added footage anymore. I actually borrowed the movie from a work mate and gave it back so totally unsure. <- FAIL :|

nfpgasmask
01/12/2010, 09:48 AM
Wow, ya know, I can not recall. I have seen the movie so much (even own the DC on DVD) that I don't know what is added footage anymore. I actually borrowed the movie from a work mate and gave it back so totally unsure. <- FAIL :|

The main things cut out were a lot of the extra hits Leon goes on with the girl. Like the one where she goes to the door and he is waiting with the bolt cutters...

Bart

WormGod
01/13/2010, 07:30 AM
The main things cut out were a lot of the extra hits Leon goes on with the girl. Like the one where she goes to the door and he is waiting with the bolt cutters...

Bart

Doesnt the DC expand on the weird "love/relationship" shared between them and much of that is taken out of the theatrical? Damn, it might be that I have never seen the theatrical release then cause I recall all of that and dont recall never seeing it without that stuff.

IIRC, Leon: The Professional is the complete as to where The Professional is the theatrical release? I could be wrong. I need to look this up, heh.

nfpgasmask
01/13/2010, 08:32 AM
Doesnt the DC expand on the weird "love/relationship" shared between them and much of that is taken out of the theatrical?

Correct.

IIRC, Leon: The Professional is the complete as to where The Professional is the theatrical release? I could be wrong. I need to look this up, heh.

I'm not 100% sure either, but I think "The Professional" was the US Release title and the cut version while "Leon" was the European title and was uncut.

Either way, just a phenomenal film. I really like some of Luc Besson's stuff. And for some reason I still haven't seen La Femme Nikita. Gotta put that at the top of the queue...

Bart

WormGod
01/14/2010, 07:22 AM
La Femme is great, just avoid that crappy US remake "Point of No Return" with Bridget Fonda. GOD AWFUL.

Speaking of Besson, I should check out Fifth Element on the new system. Very colorful, vibrant film so I bet it looks great. :)

nfpgasmask
01/14/2010, 01:56 PM
La Femme is great, just avoid that crappy US remake "Point of No Return" with Bridget Fonda. GOD AWFUL.

Speaking of Besson, I should check out Fifth Element on the new system. Very colorful, vibrant film so I bet it looks great. :)

Yeah, I got 5th Element on blu-ray and have yet to watch it...

Bart

Stephen Biko
01/14/2010, 06:21 PM
For the 5th Element, make sure you have the 2nd edition - Sony really botched the first release. It was terribly bad. But they made amends with a second edition and, I think, a trade-in program. They only did that because the HD format wars were in full swing and they couldn't afford to have a flagship title look so sucular.

FWIW, District 9 was shot with the Red-1 camera which is why it looks so sharp, another movie shot with Red-1 is Gamer which also looks fantastic and the plot isn't too bad either.

technocoy
02/08/2010, 09:10 PM
I'm a pretty big Bladerunner nut and getting that movie on Bluray with all the mattes restored etc was my sole reason for finally going bluray. As soon as it was confirmed that they were going to release it I bought my PS3.

For a philip k dick fan, ridley scott, harrison ford or just good scifi fan it's a nearly spiritual experience to see it that beautifully done.

Pretty much any pixar film looks great. UP and Wall-E as well as Ratatouille were all equally gorgeous in 1080p.

Close Encounters, Leon: The Professional (it is the uncut version by the way), and District 9 I have to agree on all counts.

Also, Labyrinth, Hellboy 1&2, The Dark Knight, Fifth Element, Sunshine, The Matrix (will only tolerate the original), Big Trouble in Little China, Star Trek 2009, Star Wars 4-6 and Iron Man are all definitely worth getting on Bluray.

There are many more of course, these are just the one that come to mind immediately.

For the record the Star Wars originals are not exactly bluray *ahem* but they can be found. It's a rip of a broadcast the sky TV had in the UK of all 6 movies. Some genius bastard used his HDMI editing card from his AVID to capture all the footage in full res and made files of them. Unfortunately they ARE the "updated" ones that Lucas did, but at this point I don't think you'll ever get the originals in unedited form in hi def. Lucas hates them and refuses to give the fans what they want.

I can't wait for Alien, Aliens, The Abyss, etc. I want all the classics!!!! T2 was a let down. They didn't remaster it at all and basically scaled it up to resolution. I actually can't believe it since it's such a staple film.

Quick giving me crap like "Are We There Yet" and release the real deals man!

don moore
02/10/2010, 07:33 AM
i have the PC game Blade Runner.....its lame but great music

technocoy
02/10/2010, 06:52 PM
Yes, one of the best games I've ever played and YES the music DID remind me of Bladerunner!

Wonderful job of getting you invested in your character and team. It was a wicked good combat system as well.

Stephen Biko
02/11/2010, 12:54 AM
You can buy the bladerunner soundtrack. It took over a decade it get it published but they finally did. It isn't every single bit of music from the movie, but its got all the high lights.

VXR
02/12/2010, 09:26 AM
Yes, one of the best games I've ever played and YES the music DID remind me of Bladerunner!

Wonderful job of getting you invested in your character and team. It was a wicked good combat system as well.

are you talking about the first one or Mass Effect 2?

blacksambo
02/21/2010, 08:35 PM

Bart

Just FYI Blu-ray is a dead format like HD-DVD, which has not been produced for three years. Blu-ray will not be produced any further by such companies as Warner Brothers. Content strait from the internet will superscede all the previous formats. Stay tuned.......

technocoy
02/21/2010, 10:48 PM
Just FYI Blu-ray is a dead format like HD-DVD, which has not been produced for three years. Blu-ray will not be produced any further by such companies as Warner Brothers. Content strait from the internet will superscede all the previous formats. Stay tuned.......

I'm going to disagree with that on three premises:

A: in technology you could make that argument about any new format. so, of course it's dead at some point, and will probably have a shorter life over all than dvd because of downloads EVENTUALLY catching up. that doesn't mean it's not worth investing in. that day could be in two years or ten years from now.

B: as a nerdy videophile and someone who uses both downloads and physical media there is no way in hell that downloads will best bluray in the near future. those that say that it will are in one of two camps. the folks who don't care about image quality as much, and those who have great broadband connections.

the far superior image and HD soundtrack on bluray is massive in size. when I rip one of my blurays to disk it's in the range of 19-25GB. Thats huge. even once i've run a very nice compression on it, to keep the blacks from crushing it's in the 10-12 range. Most people don't have the kind of connection speeds where they will regularly endure those download times. It will still be quite a few years before fast broadband is ubiquitous enough to kill physical media altogether. it may NEVER be good enough simply because there are a lot of people who truly want to have the physical media and the books, cases etc that go along with that experience. That also means having storage space enough for all those movies and backing that up. with the mess DRM is in at the moment and the price of a TB of data, you can bet that it will be several more years before storage is cheap enough to store entire libraries of hi def media. sure there is streaming, but that's not only inferior in compression, but again, there are always those folks who prefer an offline/owned copy of their stuff.

To say (not that you have) that the latest 1080p streaming image is anywhere NEAR bluray in quality would evidence that you would be in the camp that doesn't care as much about the image quality. Those same people have also been completely content with the crappy *** signal coming over digital cable. granted, that's probably a majority, but a manufacturer isn't going to kill physical distribution simply because 70 percent of people are fine with downloads.

C: It will be quite some time still before society has gotten to the point where everyone is not only comfortable using the systems needed for downloading and watching, but also to a point where extremely hi speed internet is completely ubiquitous. Until the some hundreds of thousands of people who still live in areas of the country with limited or no broadband internet catch up there will always be physical distribution. That's not even taking into account the rest of the world.

Also, one more point. Directors and editors are ALL film snobs. They will always insist on their films being available in the best formats possible at the time. So, until digital distribution offers image/sounds equivalent to bluray, they will push for copies on physical media.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that even this year at CES there were grumblings of some studios beginning to shoot with 4k cameras and output to that format. There were several TV sets that display in that range. So, as soon as "hi def" becomes "extreme def" there goes another huge leap in file size.

Sorry for the long post, I just hate to see anyone miss out on a great and quality experience for sake of always fearing the next thing. People were saying DVDs were dead 8 years ago, and here they are still selling like hotcakes. You can save money by waiting a few months after a release and catching it on amazon for half price. Also, some films really don't get a tremendous boost from being shown at 1080p since they are grainier, etc. I just get a 720p downloaded version of those films. I only spend money on bluray when it's that film that you want in you collection. The ones you watch year after year.

technocoy
02/21/2010, 10:56 PM
are you talking about the first one or Mass Effect 2?

VXR...

Sorry, I was talking about ME2. I actually could never get into ME1 although it did have that atmosphere to it as well. The game play was really frustrating for me though. 2 is AMAZINGLY better in gameplay to the point it's pretty seamless. Especially if you play it on PC where you can set hot keys.

Riff Raff
02/22/2010, 05:35 AM
TECHNOCOY--- With regards to your comments in post #56 .......... x2!!! You are absolutely right on target with everything you said my friend!!!

Blu-Ray is true 1080p; while down-loaded HD material over the internet broadband is 1080i (at best). I am a videophile purist, and I would much rather watch an actual Blu-Ray disc in true uncompressed 1080p, than a convenient 1080i version piped down a cable that is compressed in both picture & sound quality.

That's why I always "rent" an actual Blu-Ray disc from NetFlix via the U.S. Mail, and never use the internet broadband pipeline (eventhough I have the capability). Afterwards; if I find a movie that becomes a personal favorite, then I'll go out and buy the Blu-Ray disc and add it to my permanent video collection.

Blu-Ray is here to stay as a software medium as evidenced by the major electronic manufacturer's producing playback hardware.:yeso:

spaceCADETzoom
08/16/2010, 01:20 PM
My only issue with No COuntry For Old Men. THe dog chasing scene. It just doesn't make sense why Josh Brolin goes through the trouble of drying the 1911. Why in the world would the writers believe a wet gun won't fire???? THere was the tension all the way through the swim, and then he gets out of the water and....WTF? Manufactured tension for idiots. I'll take idiots in horror movies all day. But in this movie it jarringly doesn't make sense.

That scene is not in the book, btw.

Bulldoggie
08/16/2010, 07:52 PM
Also, some films really don't get a tremendous boost from being shown at 1080p since they are grainier, etc. I just get a 720p downloaded version of those films. I only spend money on bluray when it's that film that you want in your collection. The ones you watch year after year.

x2 I have hundreds of compressed movies using the iTunes 720 standard.
I use external Terra-byte Drives, DVI to HDMI, great index system for finding your movies, unscratched by your kids.
My Brother has the Bluray carousel 400 disc player, I can recommend that as a good way to go.
I have movies on Bluray, like "Avitar", "Fifth Element" ect..
I agree the Pixar movies like Wall-E are worth the Bluray experience.
Most movies are shot so poorly and ignore color altogether! DVD quality is fine for most titles. I say that, not that I don't care about quality, but because it's true.
Movies like; "Ben Hur" and "The Ten Commandments" are the kind of titles I look for. Technicolor! but try and find them.

spaceCADETzoom
08/17/2010, 02:06 PM
that scene perplexed me as well:confused:

http://tiretarmes.free.fr/images/glock_19_underwater.mpeg

But that's just the thing, HE WASN'T EVEN UNDERWATER. You're telling me that there are people out there that think a gun won't work because water drops will somehow magically disallow it to function? That's not a "only gun guys would know that" thing. That's a "scratch your head, am I missing something here?" thing. I can understand people believing a gun can't fire underwater...threoretically,there will be water pressure there. But you're telling me someone out there believes that a gun won't fire because it's wet? It's not a match.

hehe. sorry for the side thought. It's just such a cool movie otherwise. That one thing made it unwatchable for me. It'd be like Blade Runner having one scene where Harrison Ford tap dances in the rain. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't fit. And you're left wondering why.

VXR
03/07/2011, 07:27 PM
I could not get into Firefly, but I fully enjoyed Serenity

I know this is old but the science channel just started playing Firefly:yesb:

I watched it for the first time today and I have to say:thumbup:

technocoy
03/07/2011, 09:06 PM
Man, so good isn't it? I love me some Firefly.

Hiredgoon
03/07/2011, 11:18 PM
You could always pitch in.

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/about/

VXR
08/31/2011, 08:21 PM
2 is AMAZINGLY better in gameplay to the point it's pretty seamless. Especially if you play it on PC where you can set hot keys.

X2 on ME2 not a PC guy but still better:yesb: