PDA

View Full Version : Best Synthetic Grease

VX crazy
01/05/2010, 10:00 AM
I am leaning this toward Sue, because you live in AZ and you know everything!!! What is the best synthetic grease....what do you use and do you use it on wheelbearings and drive shaft.....no one laugh at me, I hate the search option!

VX KAT
01/05/2010, 10:11 AM
I am leaning this toward Sue, because you live in AZ and you know everything!!! What is the best synthetic grease....what do you use and do you use it on wheelbearings and drive shaft.....no one laugh at me, I hate the search option!
Wow, you give me far too much credit Lisa! :mbrasd: I'm good at finding and shopping:winko: but stink at mechanical/technical things....I defer to Dub, Triathlete, T4B and the rest for that kind of info! I just had my wheel bearings repacked last week and don't even know what kind of grease they used. But 'll learn somethin' new when somebody answers you :thumbup:

deermagnet
01/05/2010, 10:14 AM
I don't know about synthetic grease, but Isuzu says our rear drive shaft u-joints require NLGI No. 2 with the M0S2 additive. So that's what I use. Ya can get it anywhere, even Walmart has it.

I just checked the repair manual and that's also the grease they mention for the inner and outer wheel bearings. I suppose if there's a synthetic that says it's an acceptable substitute for NLGI No. 2, it would work just fine.

Mark

VX crazy
01/05/2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks, I was wondering more about brands......I was debating ordering royal purple grease or amsoil.....on the rear diff I have never used the additive and my old diff is still running strong in lasturbos vx, had 110k when I sent it to him....

Ldub
01/06/2010, 09:08 AM
I've used both Amsoil & Mobil 1 grease with no problems...:thumbup:

I do prefer the minty fresh flavor of...no wait, that was toofpaste...:_thinking

tom4bren
01/06/2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks, I was wondering more about brands......I was debating ordering royal purple grease or amsoil.....on the rear diff I have never used the additive and my old diff is still running strong in lasturbos vx, had 110k when I sent it to him....

I'm confused. you started out talking about grease for the wheel bearings and U-Joints. Now you're talking about the rear differential which takes oil, not grease.

Rekin I'll just have to go with Ldub on this one & recommend 'minty fresh'.

VX crazy
01/06/2010, 10:33 AM
I'm confused. you started out talking about grease for the wheel bearings and U-Joints. Now you're talking about the rear differential which takes oil, not grease.

Rekin I'll just have to go with Ldub on this one & recommend 'minty fresh'.

Thanks Tom, I was always talking grease....it was deermagnet that brought up the rear diff so I just said I never used an additive in mine. I am trying to find the royal purple grease which has to be ordered.....I dont need any help on the fluids

tom4bren
01/06/2010, 11:59 AM
OK

There was another thread that was kinda bashin RP (which I don't have any experience with anyway). I'd recommend Mobile 1 since I've had good luck with.

BTW, The rear pumpkin does need additive for Limited Slip differentials.

VX crazy
01/06/2010, 12:18 PM
OK

There was another thread that was kinda bashin RP (which I don't have any experience with anyway). I'd recommend Mobile 1 since I've had good luck with.

BTW, The rear pumpkin does need additive for Limited Slip differentials.

I know it recommended the additive, and thats why I pointed out that in the other VX I changed fluids out first thing to RP, with NO additive and changed them yearly, 110k miles on it and it was perfect, lasturbo is still running that rear end in his VX....and the current VX doesnt have the additive either....with good synthetics its not been an issue

tom4bren
01/06/2010, 12:53 PM
True, Amsoil agrees: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1968.pdf

Gotta remember tho that the additive isn't necessarily just for reduced friction. The additives are sometimes also referred to as viscosity modifiers because they may be recommended for different purposes: Flow at high temps, flow at low temps, flow at high pressures, adhesion to meshed gears, ...

I don't know the purpose that Isuzu had in mind when they required the additive but it would appear that synthetic lubricants meet that need without the additive.

handeeman
01/06/2010, 01:44 PM
I knew a girl that used silicon additives for augmentation with great results. IMHO she coulda used a little synthetics in her rear pumpkin too.

VX crazy
01/06/2010, 02:24 PM
I knew a girl that used silicon additives for augmentation with great results. IMHO she coulda used a little synthetics in her rear pumpkin too.

I AM OFFENDED! :_huh::_wtf:

tom4bren
01/07/2010, 03:25 AM

Good thing I didn't add the comment about some VXr in Cali having his hands on your rear end.:)

Ldub
01/07/2010, 04:51 AM

Good thing I didn't add the comment about some VXr in Cali having his hands on your rear end.:)

x2...I had some sm@rt @zz comment involving LSD additive & her rear end...:laughing:

Good thing I kept that one to myself... http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/surprised/mind-blowing.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com). http://planetsmilies.net/angel-smiley-5102.gif

VX crazy
01/07/2010, 04:57 AM

technically.....MY diff is in HIS rearend :badhorse:

tom4bren
01/07/2010, 06:20 AM
OH! that makes it all better:_huh:

handeeman
01/07/2010, 06:49 AM

Oh my gosh what to do ? As my mom used to say.
When you make the effort to right a wrong, you reap joy, and when you neglect to do so, you harvest regret. So, apologize and experience joy instead of regret.

I studied to come up with a way to apologize. So with words that are deep in sincerity.

I'm sorry .

I'm so joyful now.

circmand
01/07/2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.astroglide.com/product-astroglide-natural.html

Go Green

Solitude
01/07/2010, 02:48 PM
I'm afraid to click the link

handeeman
01/09/2010, 08:04 AM
I'm afraid to click the link

I'm not gonna click it till somebody like Zeus checks it out 1st. I know he couldn't resist.