PDA

View Full Version : Lucas ATF.... who uses it?

bentcipher
12/29/2009, 12:57 PM
Right, so I did my ATF change last weekend per JoeBlack's tutorial (my hat off to you for putting it together, Joe), ehhh... what a mess.

For the fluid, I went to local AutoZone to pickup Mobil 1 Synth ATF but as I reached out to grab some off the shelf I noticed Lucas ATF (semi-synth I think) sitting right next to it. And I know that most of you guys use Mobil 1 ATF in your tranny upon change but I went ahead and got the Lucas ATF and here is why.

We have a 1996 E150 van at work that has been with us for years. The van itself is in decent shape and a good workhorse for one exception: tranny. The transmission shudders like CRAZY and when you stop abruptly, stalls. It also stalls everytime you put it in reverse, unless you put it in park first.

In any case, it got so bad that we were going to get rid of the van back during the CARS program few months ago as we felt we've done all we could to save the tranny and there were no other options and then, by chance, I was talking to someone who recommended as a last ditch effort but some Lucas oil in it. So we did. And I tell ya, it was night and day. The tranny was like brand new... I could've told them that we replaced the whole tranny and they would've believed it. No more shudder, slipping, stalling, etc...

So that's why I went ahead flushed the old ATF and stuck Lucas oil in there. It rides smooth.:)

circmand
12/29/2009, 02:18 PM
Right, so I did my ATF change last weekend per JoeBlack's tutorial (my hat off to you for putting it together, Joe), ehhh... what a mess.

For the fluid, I went to local AutoZone to pickup Mobil 1 Synth ATF but as I reached out to grab some off the shelf I noticed Lucas ATF (semi-synth I think) sitting right next to it. And I know that most of you guys use Mobil 1 ATF in your tranny upon change but I went ahead and got the Lucas ATF and here is why.

We have a 1996 E150 van at work that has been with us for years. The van itself is in decent shape and a good workhorse for one exception: tranny. The transmission shudders like CRAZY and when you stop abruptly, stalls. It also stalls everytime you put it in reverse, unless you put it in park first.

In any case, it got so bad that we were going to get rid of the van back during the CARS program few months ago as we felt we've done all we could to save the tranny and there were no other options and then, by chance, I was talking to someone who recommended as a last ditch effort but some Lucas oil in it. So we did. And I tell ya, it was night and day. The tranny was like brand new... I could've told them that we replaced the whole tranny and they would've believed it. No more shudder, slipping, stalling, etc...

So that's why I went ahead flushed the old ATF and stuck Lucas oil in there. It rides smooth.:)

You should visit the LBC site I go to for my Healey and see what they say about Lucas anything. In British car circles the designer of electronics (Lucas) is known as the Lord of Darkness. Also the only think Lucas ever made that didnt suck was a vacuum cleaner. They have tons of them.

Ldub
12/30/2009, 05:05 AM

It'd be my guess that changing out what was probably "sludge" for ANY new ATF would have shown similar improvements.
I'm not bashing on Lucas products, I'm just sayin'...:smilewink