PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem w/electrical

Demon
12/23/2009, 06:23 PM
OK, I started my new VX today we have had freezing rain and snow and many electrics are not working.

Not Working:
Turn signals
Power Windows
Cruise Control
Dash Display of what gear I am in

Still Working:
Hazards
A/C
Dash Lights
Wipers

Still driving fine, but I kinda need those turn signals. Hopefully this is something easy. Any suggestions?

Demon
12/23/2009, 06:54 PM
One other thing, my VX has a trailer hookup. That may be the problem, I dunno.

Gussie2000
12/23/2009, 08:09 PM
What about removing the negative battery cable for few seconds........

tom4bren
12/23/2009, 08:21 PM
Demon,

Check the ground on your trailer wiring adapter. Sounds similar to a problem I had in the past.

Tom

Sprey
12/23/2009, 08:33 PM
You checked all the fuses?
Maybe the water got into the trailer plug and short circuited?
With the gear thing maybe the mode selector thing has died?

Y33TREKker
12/23/2009, 08:48 PM
Is the 15 Amp (CB-15) fuse in your dash fuse box blown by any chance?

Demon
12/23/2009, 09:26 PM
Is the 15 Amp (CB-15) fuse in your dash fuse box blown by any chance?

Completely new to my VX, where is the dash fuse box? On my integra it was on the floorboard passenger side, is that where it is on the VX?

Triathlete
12/23/2009, 09:31 PM
Open drivers side door...there is a panel on the side of the dash...should be the one you are looking for.

Demon
12/23/2009, 09:49 PM
Demon,

Check the ground on your trailer wiring adapter. Sounds similar to a problem I had in the past.

Tom

Am I going to need to remove the bumper to get to the ground? I can see the connection, but cant find any wiring underneath the car.

Also, the inside lights all work as do the exterior lights. I will go through the fuses tomorrow, once I locate the dash fuse box, and proceed from there. At least the heater is working, it is freakin cold here!

Demon
12/23/2009, 09:57 PM
Open drivers side door...there is a panel on the side of the dash...should be the one you are looking for.

THx, found it, will go through the fuses tomorrow when my hands wont freeze off

Demon
12/23/2009, 10:15 PM
Well, I couldnt sit there not knowing, so I went back down in the cold, and sure enough, CB-15 is blown. Will grab another fuse tomorrow and throw it in.

tom4bren
12/24/2009, 05:01 AM
Am I going to need to remove the bumper to get to the ground? I can see the connection, but cant find any wiring underneath the car.

Also, the inside lights all work as do the exterior lights. I will go through the fuses tomorrow, once I locate the dash fuse box, and proceed from there. At least the heater is working, it is freakin cold here!

Guess I'm a little late since you already found a blown fuse ... but ...

Most people install the wiring for trailer lights in the cubby for the jack (all but one of the connections are there).

Tom

rowhard
12/24/2009, 05:21 AM
Well, first off, welcome to the addiction. and glad you found the problem.

Are you somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined? If so, on the left of the page under the main menu/downloads/manuals, you will find the workshop and electrical manuals, both down loadable to your computer as a PDF file.

The Electrical is for the 99 model but am told the only difference between the models is the 16 inch wheel and a different HVAC system on the 99.

So there, you have a early Christmas present.

Merry Christmas:dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban:

Y33TREKker
12/24/2009, 07:11 AM
I'd say it will still be a good idea to check over your trailer harness for exposed wires, waterproof seals/covers being in good condition, or anything else that could be causing a short circuit in the harness. There had to have been something that caused the fuse to blow in the first place, and an added-on wiring harness other than the factory stuff would be the first place I'd personally start checking.

So it's sounding like you may have a better chance of having a white Christmas there in TX :tweed: than I'm currently having here in the midwest ( :_snowplow <-- the usual). That just seems backwards for some reason. :_thinking

Ah well, at least some of you will get to have fun with the TOD this year. :_steering

**Sorry about that. Just trying to make my annual smiley quota by the year-end cut-off**

:bgwo:

Demon
12/24/2009, 08:34 AM
I replaced the fuse this morning and everything seems to be working fine for now. I am going to go over the wiring for the trailer hitch once the weather is more agreeable to make sure that wasnt the cause. Thx for the info everyone. I downloaded the electrical troubleshooting, I know that is going to pay off! I am somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined, I guess the biggest project I have done on a car was completely installing and wiring a single-fogger nitrous kit with a WOT switch, along with various stereo components with a nice toggle switch so my wife wouldnt have to listen to the bass if she didnt want to. I am glad this was a quick fix right now though cause it is too cold to be out working on wiring!

rowhard
12/24/2009, 06:25 PM
I am glad this was a quick fix right now though cause it is too cold to be out working on wiring!

Hear ya. Spent 5 years up the road from ya at Cannon AFB, Clovis NM and you guys have got to have the most you know what weather going in armpit TX going. I mean 10 inches of hail, 100 plus mph winds, 100 degree temps, and that was just one day that I can remember.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and glad it was a easy fix for ya

Kona-Vs
01/09/2010, 06:08 PM
I'm having a power window problem: Came home today and both windows don"t work like no power to them all of a sudden I swapped the 20A circuit from my other 99 and still nothing I then swapped the driver side switches on the door panel still nothing Every thing electrical on the truck works fine just no windows all of a sudden no noise from the window motors at all, door locks work fine. Any one have any suggestions?

Ldub
01/09/2010, 10:32 PM
I'm having a power window problem: Came home today and both windows don"t work like no power to them all of a sudden I swapped the 20A circuit from my other 99 and still nothing I then swapped the driver side switches on the door panel still nothing Every thing electrical on the truck works fine just no windows all of a sudden no noise from the window motors at all, door locks work fine. Any one have any suggestions?

Check the "lock" button that disables the windows...:smilewink

History has proven this to be the most likely cause.

VX KAT
01/09/2010, 11:24 PM
Check the "lock" button that disables the windows...:smilewink

History has proven this to be the most likely cause.

:mbrasd::mbrasd::mbrasd: that was the week I got to wear the dunce cap....

Ldub
01/10/2010, 12:23 AM
:mbrasd::mbrasd::mbrasd: that was the week I got to wear the dunce cap....

You're far from alone, WAG, but I'd bet this has happened to at least 25% of VX owners at one time or another.
My other favorite thing to do, is to lay my keys in the cargo area, then close the door...:upsetgray

Kona-Vs
01/10/2010, 01:02 AM
I swapped the the window control buttons including the lock button with the ones from the other VX and I still have know windows I know it sounds like it's just the lock button disabling the windows but Its not

Ldub
01/10/2010, 01:15 AM
I swapped the the window control buttons including the lock button with the ones from the other VX and I still have know windows I know it sounds like it's just the lock button disabling the windows but Its not

Then it might be time to swap in a regulator motor that's known to work.

Or start checking circuits with a continuity tester or volt meter.

:luck:

Kona-Vs
01/10/2010, 01:16 AM
window controles got wet before I had the problem I'll try a blowdryer

Ldub
01/10/2010, 03:08 AM
window controles got wet before I had the problem I'll try a blowdryer

Now there's some info that might have been handy to know from the outset...:yesgray:

WD-40 or CRC 5-56 will be helpful in displacing moisture & helping to prevent corrosion.

Y33TREKker
01/10/2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe it's the same thing that was causing Demon's problem, because you might also try checking the 15A CB-15 fuse. That's the one that actually supplies power to your power window relay coil. The controls getting wet could have easily caused that fuse to burn out. If CB-15 is good, you might try swapping the power window relay from your other VX to see what happens. (The power window relay is behind the kick panel in the drivers side footwell. There are three rectangular relays mounted in a row top to bottom, and the one for the power windows is on the bottom).

There are other things that could be causing the problem, but those two are the simplest to check for the time being.

Kona-Vs
01/10/2010, 11:06 AM
blow dryer on the connection worked there was more water than I thought

Kona-Vs
01/12/2010, 11:00 AM
It happened again got into the VX this morning and no power to the windows pulled out the 15A CB-15 fuse that you suggested it looked good so I stuck it back in and the windows work again so I replaced it with a new one thanks for the info the manual doesn't call for that fuse for power to the windows

drdirt
01/12/2010, 12:59 PM
had the same sort of problems that started when it rained or was wet and the got worse and blew thw l Headlight fuse everytime i replaced it. finally figured out the wires running from one side to the other at the front had been pressed against the radiator and were melted and shorting out. replaced about 2 ft of the 4 wires and clamped to something that would hold them a safe distance from heat....good luck

Y33TREKker
01/12/2010, 02:00 PM
It happened again got into the VX this morning and no power to the windows pulled out the 15A CB-15 fuse that you suggested it looked good so I stuck it back in and the windows work again so I replaced it with a new one thanks for the info the manual doesn't call for that fuse for power to the windows

Removing the fuse and putting it back in curing the problem makes it sound more like a relay problem. That is, if it isn't being caused by one of the more difficult problems/possibilities like the wiring harness short-circuiting drdirt suggested.

The CB-15 fuse keeps the power window relay coil "Hot/energized" when the key is in the START position. The CB-27 fuse supplies power to the power window relay contacts, which is then applied through the relay to the window motors when the window controls are pressed.

Maybe the relay contacts were sticking, and removing then re-applying power to the coil got it moving again? Moisture can do that, and I'm going to guess that Hawaii get's maybe a little more than it's fair share of humidity year-round. True, automotive electronics are supposed to be designed to account for all sorts of weather conditions, but there's a reason the term "extreme duty" was invented. :yesy:

gabilangabby
01/19/2010, 07:39 AM
OK, I started my new VX today we have had freezing rain and snow and many electrics are not working.

Not Working:
Turn signals
Power Windows
Cruise Control
Dash Display of what gear I am in

Still Working:
Hazards
A/C
Dash Lights
Wipers

Still driving fine, but I kinda need those turn signals. Hopefully this is something easy. Any suggestions?

i have the same exact problem... to the "T"... what solved the problem.??.. ive been like this for about a week now.

Demon
01/30/2010, 09:08 AM
It was the CB-15 fuse. Replaced it and everything has worked fine, till this morning. Got up, went out to warm up the VX, we got like 14 inches of snow over the past 2 days, and no power at all. After an quick "WTF?" check, I reached forward and touched the headlights switch and, yep, being an idiot I didnt turn them off yesterday after driving my son to go sledding. :madb: Its one thing for something to go wrong on a vehicle, its another to know it is all your stupid fault! I'm gonna go grab another battery today, and when I have time this week gonna get this one charged up again and keep it in the cargo area as a spare cause this winter has been brutal. Planning on heading back to Taos to go snowboarding again soon and I figure a fully charged battery in the trunk will some good insurance for the drive.