PDA

View Full Version : How to rescue a car stuck in the snow.

JAMAS
12/21/2009, 12:58 PM
This is the first winter that I will have the VX and I want to be prepared.

If I had a need to rescue someone who slid off the road, what do I need and how do I do it?

Triathlete
12/21/2009, 01:05 PM
Tow strap and shackles. Connect between both vehicles and yank:bwgy:

Just need to connect in a way that will not damage the vehicles. You have tow points in both front and rear.

JAMAS
12/21/2009, 01:08 PM
You have tow points in both front and rear.

Are those tow points or tie-down points for original shipping of the vehicle?

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/21/2009, 01:09 PM
try to do it smoothly if possible....I had to resort to aggressive tugs to pull a stuck Ram and later had to replace my pinion seal as it started to leak very soon after....can't prove this caused it but.....................

JAMAS
12/21/2009, 01:27 PM
for now, I just want to make sure I can help my Wife or Mother if they get stuck. I don't want to put the VX at risk for a stranger....Unless the situation calls for it.

alterastro
12/21/2009, 01:54 PM
If stuck in snow, then chances are that a gentle tug is all that is needed. The VX has a strong hook on the front and an eye on the rear - either are fine for snow pulling. Use the winter button to pull gently without slipping yourself.

Nick

AlaskaVX
12/21/2009, 02:00 PM
I would say to hook up to the back right of the VX with a shackle (I have ripped the back left off with not that tough of a pull.) And put it in 4-lo, shouldn't have many problem then. A stretchy tow strap would be nicer than a non stretchy one, not so much jerk to both vehicles, but either will work.

Triathlete
12/21/2009, 02:50 PM
for now, I just want to make sure I can help my Wife or Mother if they get stuck. I don't want to put the VX at risk for a stranger....Unless the situation calls for it.

I would take a look under both their vehicles before hand to familiarize yourself with potential tow points while it dry...might save you some discomfort in the nasty weather. Also throw a cheap tarp in the back of your VX in case you need to get down on the ground or crawl underneath on of the vehicles. Big cheap rubber floor mats work good for placing under tires for some sdded traction if needed also.

nfpgasmask
12/21/2009, 04:03 PM
I pulled someone out the other day. I used my hook on my hitch and a tow strap. Make sure you are in 4x4, low gear and go slow and smooth. :)

Bart

tomdietrying
12/21/2009, 09:13 PM
I'd say everyone has come up with some great suggestions. I would add one more thing. Keep a gallon of clorox bleach with you. If you are driving on snow or ice, pour it over your tires. It helps your tires stick to the icy road.
Peace.
Tom

pbkid
12/21/2009, 09:34 PM
when i used to pull people with my VX i would put it in 4lo and winter mode and gently let of the brake and lightly apply gas.

its really the only time i used the winter mode, but it seems to help a lot.
and like others said, back right side with shackles and a tow strap.

JAMAS
12/22/2009, 05:06 AM
I would take a look under both their vehicles before hand to familiarize yourself with potential tow points while it dry...might save you some discomfort in the nasty weather

Thats a great idea! That way I am not trying to determine tow points when its freezing and dark.

Do you have any suggestions for potential tow points?

Also, any suggestions for what to look for in a shackle and tow strap?

tom4bren
12/22/2009, 05:42 AM
Once again, I'll have to pit myself against the convention here on the forum. I prefer a chain over a strap ... at least for on road motorist assistance. Straps are better for off road applications tho. With a chain, you can double it back on itself to adjust for length. Many times it's difficult to position the recovery vehicle to use the full length of a strap. Just don't try to snap with a chain like you can do with a strap (snap is only useful if the stuck vehicle is axle deep in gumbo anyway).

As far as where to connect to the stuck vehicle ... GFL. There are precious few points on modern cars. Usually you'll have to get dirty & climb underneath to find anything strong enough like: the frame, the axle, or part of the suspension. Just be careful that whatever you hook to, even if it's strong enough, there may be fragile 'things' around it (such as brake lines or wire harnesses). If you're helping a stranger it's not a bad idea to let them make the connection so that they are responsible for any resulting damages (but be nice & check to make sure they didn't do anything stupid).

Remember also that the best way out is usually the way they went in. If they dropped a wheel or two into a ditch, you'll probably have to come at it at an angle though.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of spotters - just make sure they stand at a safe distance.

If at all possible, drape a blanket over the strap or chain at the 1/2 way point to act as a dead weight if the strap or chain should break.

nfpgasmask
12/22/2009, 08:48 AM
I'd say everyone has come up with some great suggestions. I would add one more thing. Keep a gallon of clorox bleach with you. If you are driving on snow or ice, pour it over your tires. It helps your tires stick to the icy road.
Peace.
Tom

Wow, Tom! That's a new one. Never heard that before. You're not joking, are you? Does that actually work? :laughing:

:thumbup: Bart

nfpgasmask
12/22/2009, 08:54 AM
If at all possible, drape a blanket over the strap or chain at the 1/2 way point to act as a dead weight if the strap or chain should break.

Good suggestion, Tom. I can't remember where I read it, but I a while back a read a forum post on some 4x4 site about a guy who got instantly killed while trying to pull someone out with a strap and hook. They were mudding and I'm sure they were doing a lot more hardcore strapping that normal, but the strap broke and he had his head out the window and the hook damn near decapitated him. Just something to remember, be safe when doing this stuff.

When I pulled the stuck car out here at work, I was originally going to pull forward, but this car had NOTHING but plastic trim under the whole front end. Absolutely NOTHING to connect the hook to that wouldn't rip off as soon as I pulled. I ended up attaching the hook to a hole in the frame rail on the back and pulling the car backwards.

Bart

tom4bren
12/22/2009, 09:59 AM
My old Dodge spent the last 1/2 of it's life with a chain impression down the hood from a similar situation.

Cobrajet
12/22/2009, 11:42 AM
If any of you watched the Top Gear: Polar Special (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special), you will know that they used a special "bungee" strap to pull their stuck Toyota Hilux out of snow/ocean slush. It took a couple of attempts, but they said it was a very gentle way to "yank" someone out of the snow. Hook up this long bungee cord, get a running start, stretch to the limit, then stop and wait for the other vehicle to snap back. Sounds good to me.

tom4bren
12/22/2009, 12:09 PM
If any of you watched the Top Gear: Polar Special (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special), you will know that they used a special "bungee" strap to pull their stuck Toyota Hilux out of snow/ocean slush. It took a couple of attempts, but they said it was a very gentle way to "yank" someone out of the snow. Hook up this long bungee cord, get a running start, stretch to the limit, then stop and wait for the other vehicle to snap back. Sounds good to me.

That's good for muck where there is a measure of 'suction' to overcome. It's not really needed for a snowbank.

BTW, the running start ... really isn't. You're supposed to inch forward until the strap becomes tight but not stretched. At that point, the recovery vehicle guns it. The stretch of the strap will provide a measure of momentum to overcome the suction of being stuck in muck.

A running start will only guarantee a broken strap, potential damage to both vehicles and possible injury to anyone within reach of the strap.

... or so I've heard ... I've never experimented to find out.:)

Scott Harness
12/22/2009, 12:50 PM

That's such a great show! Nice truck on that episode

JAMAS
12/22/2009, 01:19 PM
So what type of tow strap should I get?

Hook end ....or loop end?

and any poundage limit?

anything to keep in mind when I buy the shackle?

I think I am going to buy something this week, just to be on the safe side.

I think I am going to get a strap instead of a chain, mostly for the ease of storage.

Triathlete
12/22/2009, 01:39 PM
Tow strap 101 (I'm no expert, don't claim to be one, may not be 100% right...but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)
NEVER buy a tow strap with hooks. Get a good quality strap with loops on the end to be used with a clevis shackle.
Tow straps have a built in "stretch" and make pulling/yanking/tugging smoother.
Clevis shackles come in different sizes...make sure to get ones that will fit your mounting points. For the VX 1" will work with some effort but the 3/4" fit better.
You can get a good quality strap at most good 4x4 shops.
Personally I would never use a chain...they are not pretty when they break.
Placing a blanket/jacket or something over the strap is a good idea but not a necessity. Straps don't store enough energy (much like sythetic winch rope) to do damage...but always error on the side of safety. I think most were thinking of wire winch rope. Unless of course the strap has hooks on the end...but again refer to the first tip.
And a strap can be doubled over to shorten it in half.
I am sure there is a lot more and not everyone will agree with me but this is just my 2 cents...take it for what its worth.

Triathlete
12/22/2009, 01:46 PM
and any poundage limit?

The higher the rating the better. I believe I have 2 20,000 and 1 30,000 pounder.

Triathlete
12/22/2009, 02:03 PM
Speaking of pulling people out...here is a good one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbTqEGU9mI).:bgwo:
Heres the forum post that talks about it. (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=35571)

AlaskaVX
12/22/2009, 02:49 PM
Loop ends and shackles! Hooks are for fishing :yesy:

Make sure you get 2 shackles. (that is if the towee has a shackle point of connection)

And yes the higher lb the better as long as it is still able to bend to get to the tow point needed

PK
12/22/2009, 03:26 PM
Agree with the others about the loop ends + shackles.
Definitely the way to go.

Buy your strap, I use one rated at SWL (Safe Working Load) 8000kg (17600 lbs) and have never looked like breaking it. (And I did once tow a truck out).
Then buy shackles to suit the strap and your attachment points.
Make sure that the shackle SWL exceeds the rope SWL.
If something is going to break, it should be the strap - safer that way.

If you can, buy "bow shackles". They are made of higher tensile steel, so are smaller and lighter for the same strength.

Always double check your connections to make sure they are secure.
Nothing worse than broken equipment flying through the air, and nothing better than the feeling of a successful rescue.
Sort of like a soft afterglow with a permanent smile on your face.:yeso::yesb::yesgray:

Or was I thinking of something else??

PK

Marlin
12/22/2009, 03:35 PM
when i used to pull people with my VX i would put it in 4lo and winter mode and gently let of the brake and lightly apply gas.

its really the only time i used the winter mode, but it seems to help a lot.
and like others said, back right side with shackles and a tow strap.

If I am not mistaken, winter mode just starts the tranny in 3rd gear? So why bother going to 4lo if you are going to start in 3rd gear in low, which I would think is about the same as 4hi 1st gear? Just curious. I wish it would snow here so I could play too:( I would drive around all day pulling people out of the snow just for fun.

In addition to the straps, bring a few flashlights. It would suck trying to strap a car at dusk or after dark. I would also evaluate getting a collapsible shovel for digging snow from under the vehicle to get to a tow point.

Triathlete
12/22/2009, 03:57 PM
Make sure you get 2 shackles. (that is if the towee has a shackle point of connection)

If not you can double the strap back after wrapping around there connecting point either to your shackle (halving it) or double it back and put the shackle through the loop and then around the strap...(does that make sense?).

Ldub
12/22/2009, 08:55 PM
If I am not mistaken, winter mode just starts the tranny in 3rd gear? So why bother going to 4lo if you are going to start in 3rd gear in low, which I would think is about the same as 4hi 1st gear?

To keep the TOD from having to work so hard.

pbkid
12/23/2009, 12:11 AM

yup, the dub has the right idea...

winter mode keeps the wheels from spinning and the engine from rapping out.
generally when pulling someone, you wanna use torque instead of horsepower, therefore you would rather use a lower RPM and 'winter mode' will complete that attempt.

i just have tried pulling people in every combination possible and i have had the most success with 4LO and winter mode.
in fact- i have pulled a tacoma, with a siezed motor, in gear...... uphill....... without spinning a tire in this mode.

and yes jamas, most 'offroaders' agree that you should NEVER EVER use a strap with hooks on the end, they quickly become the weak point and snap, therefor throwing a metal hook at your windshield at very high speeds.....

use a looped strap (i use a 4" strap with 3/4" shackles) with ARB shackles (they can be found for around $15-20 a piece)

good luck!!

alterastro
12/23/2009, 12:37 AM
Speaking of pulling people out...here is a good one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbTqEGU9mI).:bgwo:
Heres the forum post that talks about it. (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=35571)

Here's one of me pulling a stuck truck last February :bgwo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNeGOeGvYdE

I used a kinetic strap. The lorry had a recovery pin and I have a NATO hitch on the rear of my Paj, so nice and easy.

Another point when buying shackles... Most modern cars have screw in recovery eyes (well they do in the UK anyway!). I know from experience that they are very small. So buy a small shackle. Make sure it is rated to the required strength, which shouldn't be a problem as they are very strong. I spent lots of time during heavy snow back in February not being able to help folks as I only had a large shackle which didn't fit a lot of eyes.

Nick

alterastro
12/23/2009, 12:47 AM
How not to do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO1jsO9MrnM& :yesgray:

etlsport
12/23/2009, 04:41 AM
If not you can double the strap back after wrapping around there connecting point either to your shackle (halving it) or double it back and put the shackle through the loop and then around the strap...(does that make sense?).

i also got a "dog bone" from cabelas (outdoors store) basically its a metal pipe with two ends that you can use to adjust a strap to any length you need.. it has come in handy for me a few times pulling people out of the ditch across the narrow road i used to live on

one other piece of advice.. make sure there is plenty of room around you, especially if the VX is also on ice or snow, it will have a tendancy to wander back and forth a bit... and if you are on a hill.. pull them uphill! it makes it a little more difficult.. but you eliminate the risk of having them slide down into you after being pulled free

JAMAS
12/23/2009, 06:27 AM
All VERY great advice.

I hope I never have the need to pull someone out. However if I do have the need, I now feel prepared.

Time to go buy stuff.

Thanks!

Marlin
12/23/2009, 07:09 AM

:happyface....riiiiiigggghhhht

BigSwede
12/23/2009, 07:13 AM
BTW, the running start ... really isn't. You're supposed to inch forward until the strap becomes tight but not stretched. At that point, the recovery vehicle guns it. The stretch of the strap will provide a measure of momentum to overcome the suction of being stuck in muck.

A running start will only guarantee a broken strap, potential damage to both vehicles and possible injury to anyone within reach of the strap.

... or so I've heard ... I've never experimented to find out.:)
There are two different kinds of straps out there...the standard "tow strap" has a little natural stretch but isn't elastic per se, so the running start is not a good idea with this kind of strap.

There are also "snatch straps" (or other names) that are made to be elastic like a giant bungee cord, these are intended to be used with a running start such as on the Top Gear episode (just watched that the other night).

Most of our vehicle have tow points, that is the easy part. As noted, most cars will not have anything easy...you might be able to find the tie-down point which is your best bet, but even it is not intended for heavy tugging. If you're very lucky they will have a tow hitch and you can insert the tow strap loop into the receiver and put the pin through the loop of the strap (this also works well for those of you that have hitches as a pull point).

If I were y'all I would buy a tow hook and install it on the rear, those tie down points just aren't made for serious tugging.

Ldub
12/23/2009, 07:14 AM
:happyface....riiiiiigggghhhht

:confused: when locked 4 lo, the TOD isn't in play...you knew that though...riiiiiigggghhhht?:smilewink

JAMAS
12/23/2009, 08:29 AM
If I were y'all I would buy a tow hook and install it on the rear, those tie down points just aren't made for serious tugging.

Is this a concern for pulling a car out of a snowy spot?

I suppose I could replace the tie down point with a shackle mounting bracket.

JAMAS
12/23/2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WialCdoBQqw&feature=player_embedded

BigSwede
12/23/2009, 11:05 AM
Heh, I saw that on another board, guys were saying the WRX manual pretty much says not to tow anything, anytime. But doing it on that slippery snow probably didn't hurt anything...

JAMAS
12/23/2009, 01:22 PM
Where is a good place to purchase the shackles and strap?

Triathlete
12/23/2009, 05:05 PM
Check your local 4x4 shops. They will have what you need. If not, you can hit up some of the internet sites...
Indy 4x (https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=6/)
Poly Performance (http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Recovery-Gear-Jacks-p-1-c-944.html)
4Wheel Parts (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Winch-Accessories.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=124)
Just to name a few. You will find Indy comes highly recommended here...Matt does a lot of support for the Zu community and has great customer service.

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/31/2009, 11:03 AM
wow...I feel vindicated. I told someone once about using "winter mode" while in 4-low and it was not taken seriously.

I just did it the other day while stopping on a very steep hill that hadn't been plowed or salted for a stop sign and then resuming with a sharp left turn....mainly because I was already in 4-low and it seemed moot to shift back to 4-high and hit winter mode too. Pulled out very smoothly with just the right amount of torque & no wheel spin.