PDA

View Full Version : Help! I want bigger tires for my VX

Prettykittysprinkles
12/17/2009, 08:44 AM
So I want to get some big mud tires on my VX but in order to do this the guys at the local tire store siad that I need to upgrade my brake system and all this other stuff. I dont even know what this means!?! Will some one please explain to me how I am to go about getting bigger tires.
( Im a girl so i need some help please)
Thanks!
*Ashley*:p

nfpgasmask
12/17/2009, 08:55 AM
I don't think so. As far as brake upgrades go, the most I know of people doing here are stainless steel brake lines and after market drilled/slotted rotors.

How big do you plan on going? I am running 265 BFG M/Ts and I did not change my brake lines. However I do have R1 Rotors and stock pads.

I think the shop is just trying to get some money out of you. Don't listen to them. You've come to the right place for good answers. Let us know this:

1) How big do you want to go?
2) Does your VX have any sort of lift?

Bart

handeeman
12/17/2009, 09:03 AM
Also Prettykitty, don't do anything until our member RiffRaff has given you a plethora of tire info. This should occur soon, as I believe he has his computer wired to set off an alarm if the word "tire" is mentioned on this forum. lol

Heeeeeeeeeere's Riff !

VX crazy
12/17/2009, 09:08 AM
Also Prettykitty, don't do anything until our member RiffRaff has given you a plethora of tire info. This should occur soon, as I believe he has his computer wired to set off an alarm if the word "tire" is mentioned on this forum. lol

ROFL.....:disturbed

Riff Raff
12/17/2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Ashley--- Welcome, fellow "Washingtonian"!!!

Ah, my favorite subject (sorry, internal joke amongst this forum). Your tire guy is right to a point. Your OEM tires on your VX weigh only 34 lbs each, and the factory OEM braking system was designed to accomodate primarily only this amount weight but can safely handle a marginal increase in aftermarket tire weight without harm.

The recommended variance for additional tire weight of an aftermarket tire is not to exceed 10 lbs over OEM; or in our VX case, a tire that weighs no more than 44 lbs max. Any tire heavier than 44 lbs each puts additional strain on the OEM braking system and it is recommended that high performance brake components be installed to accomodate the extra burden.

Are there larger VX tires that are within the 44 lb target point available on the market to safely run without having to upgrade the OEM brakes??? Heck, yes!!! Just visit www.TireRack.com and browse over various tires that spark your interest and specifically look at the "spec" page that will show individual tire weight on the chart. Generally speaking, you will find the TireRack website to be a wealth of knowledge and a valuable source.

Of note, the lightest brand of Mud-Terrain (M/T) tires on the market are made by YOKOHAMA TIRE and can be viewed at their factory website complete with weight specifications. Happy hunting!!!:bgwb:

VX KAT
12/17/2009, 09:21 AM
x2!!!:laugho::laugho::laugho:

tom4bren
12/17/2009, 09:23 AM
Ashley,

At the other end of the spectrum, I did everything that Riff Raff hates with no ill effects (if done right). I'm lifted 3" and am running 33x12.50 Wranglers on 15" rims. I have not upgraded anything on my braking system ... yet. I'd like to go with stainless steel lines eventually. I will warn you though that if you lift, you put your CV joints at a harsh angle which will cause early failure of the boots. There is a fix for that though & we can help you with that if you get to that point.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/SANY0020_.jpg

ZEUS
12/17/2009, 09:33 AM
So I want to get some big mud tires on my VX but in order to do this the guys at the local tire store siad that I need to upgrade my brake system and all this other stuff. I dont even know what this means!?! Will some one please explain to me how I am to go about getting bigger tires.
( Im a girl so i need some help please)
Thanks!
*Ashley*:pHey Ashley. If your VX has stock wheels they are 18" diameter. You can fit bigger tires on those wheels without any mods, minus perhaps some slight trimming in places the tires may rub during cornering. I believe the max tire size is 31.5" before you start running into greater clearance problems. You can install a 16" wheel to make for a larger sidewall tire as well which can give the look of a larger tire. Keep in mind tho if you install mud tires, you decrease handling and usually ride characteristics. You could lift your VX for about $200 plus labor and fit something more like a 33" tire whereas the stock VX has a 29" or so. Also, most mud tires perform poorly on ice - snow they are fine, but many mud tires lack tread siping which gives biting edges to your tires for grip in the slick stuff. So make sure you know what you are getting into before you pounce... good luck and welcome to the forum!! :)

VX crazy
12/17/2009, 10:05 AM
Ashely, all joking aside, I run 31x12.5x15 and just a tad of a lift with 2 inch spacers and front torsion bars cranked, my CVs I dont need to worry about since I am not as high as some people on this site (no pun intended dub) and I also have the stainless steel brake lines and you can ask anyone that rides with me how hard I am on braking....and I have had no problems..

LittleBeast
12/17/2009, 01:22 PM
There are so many threads on this issue, feel free to search this site to yours hearts content, there is a lot of info here already, I am sure you can find a great solution for what you are looking for.

Here is my build thread:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13415&highlight=bigbeast

All you really need is new springs in the rear and some hard work and you are good to go :)

LittleBeast
12/17/2009, 01:37 PM

Heeeeeeeeeere's Riff !

HAHAHAHAHA, wow too funny!

exactly :)

the factory OEM braking system was designed to accomodate primarily only this amount weight but can safely handle a marginal increase in aftermarket tire weight without harm.

Everything Riff said is right on, but for my and many others personal real life experience, our VX's stock braking system is still more than adequate to lock up all 4 tires on command (even with ridiculously heavy wheels and tires), but if you want more braking power than it takes to lock up the tires feel free to upgrade :) but it seems a little silly to upgrade past the ability to completely stop rotation unless you are worried about over heating because of racing type use. Your call, yes increasing rotating mass increases stopping distance, but I for one had many more close calls before upgrading wheels/tires than after, I do not know what to attribute that to, maybe being more careful just because I know it will take a little longer to stop.

x2!!!:laugho::laugho::laugho:

:) never gets old huh?

Ldub
12/17/2009, 01:44 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, wow too funny!

exactly :)

Everything Riff said is right on, but for my and many others personal real life experience, our VX's stock braking system is still more than adequate to lock up all 4 tires on command (even with ridiculously heavy wheels and tires), but if you want more braking power than it takes to lock up the tires feel free to upgrade :) but it seems a little silly to upgrade past the ability to completely stop rotation unless you are worried about over heating because of racing type use. Your call, yes increasing rotating mass increases stopping distance, but I for one had many more close calls before upgrading wheels/tires than after, I do not know what to attribute that to, maybe being more careful just because I know it will take a little longer to stop.

:) never gets old huh?

It kinda depends on which rif you're talkin' to...one week he'll say big tires & wheels are the devil...:evil:

In another thread he'll post "go big or go home"

I think it's dependent on some cycle I don't fully comprehend...:_confused

VX crazy
12/17/2009, 02:08 PM
I think it's dependent on some cycle I don't fully comprehend...

Like menstrual cycle? LOL I couldnt resist, and I am female so I can say it

Ldub
12/17/2009, 02:13 PM
I think it's dependent on some cycle I don't fully comprehend...

Like menstrual cycle? LOL I couldnt resist, and I am female so I can say it

Buhh-ZINGGGggggg...:laughing:

I was thinkin' LUNAR, but...:_confused

VXR
12/17/2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Ashley--- Welcome, fellow "Washingtonian"!!!

X2

I am not an expert like riff raff but I have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers @ 55 lbs each for over 4 years with no braking mods and no problems.

Good luck.

don moore
12/17/2009, 07:06 PM
i went to good year and asked for some prices ..the guy asked what i had I told him ...lol as usual he said A WHAT??.. well i said i wanted 285s for it ..he said he couldnt do that ..it suppose to have 265s ..i left.. ill og to a place that wants me happy.

pbkid
12/17/2009, 11:47 PM
since I am not as high as some people on this site (no pun intended dub)

:laughing:
good one lisa....

sloop
12/18/2009, 04:43 AM
My Question being some what of a Tire expert my self is ( not trying to cause a arguement just need to understand as tires I know, Mechanics not so much) in theory all you are doing is adding weight! and not a whole lot compared to if you had 250 lb passanger that rode to work with you everyday,if that was the case would it not be suggested to upgrade your brakes then? I think the bigger issue would be with rolling resistance and the stress on the CV and other components more so then brakes that are used infrequntly. Like I said Just wondering myself I Am Not a Mechanic.

mdwyer
12/18/2009, 09:00 AM
My Question being some what of a Tire expert my self is ( not trying to cause a arguement just need to understand as tires I know, Mechanics not so much) in theory all you are doing is adding weight! and not a whole lot compared to if you had 250 lb passanger that rode to work with you everyday....

I'm not an engineer, either. Not a mechanical one, at least. But I believe the problem is not so much the added weight added so much as where it is and what you're doing with it. Weight on the wheels is 'unsprung weight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight)', which impacts handling.

sloop
12/18/2009, 09:05 AM
so this is why you would require larger brakes? Cars are not designed around the Tire it's the other way around and you can buy cars with Larger tires and rims yet the brake package remains the same (I'm just alittle confused!) and thats nothing new for me(LOL)

sloop
12/18/2009, 09:36 AM
Also by larger brakes you are actually adding more unsprung weight unless your brakes are mounted inboard,really the unsprung weight should only deteriate the ride so you would lose alittle of the sport car feel and have more of a What I call soft feel. I have had many types of tires mounted on my VX and the biggest issue I have found is (ride) and it depends on the type A/T M/T or Performance ( cornering) never braking it always feels the same and I have never had brake issues.

Ldub
12/18/2009, 10:56 AM
I think this all to be a moot point in any event, since there are exactly zero aftermarket "big brake kits" to be had...:smilewink

I believe you'll find the same number of multi piston calipers available.

The hot tickee seems to be:

Drilled, or drilled/slotted rotors

Stainless braid brake lines

OEM pads

That's my theory & I'm stickin' to it...:yesgray:

4X4 UFO
12/18/2009, 12:52 PM
I believe that the need for larger brakes is based on the larger diameter of the tires more than the weight. You're dealing with more torque (at the same road speed) applied by the road under braking (as long as you have traction) with larger diameter tires. Having said that, the handling decrease you get with really large tires will usually moderate your speed. I believe the stock brakes in good condition will take care of anything you need them to, unless you're racing........

Randy

Riff Raff
12/18/2009, 04:36 PM
'unsprung weight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight)'

Excellent "link". Unsprung weight (aka unsprung mass) has nothing to do with tire diameter, only pure mass of weight that is "suspended" in rotating motion.

For example-- take two identical size/brand tires like the Grabber AT2, but which have different individual weight.

TIRE A: Grabber AT2 in P275/65R18, C-Load Range (6-Ply) (32" O.D./44 lbs).
TIRE B: Grabber AT2 in LT275/65R18, E-Load Range (10-Ply) (32" O.D./54 lbs).

Now, using equal pushing force-- shove each tire down the street and let it freely roll on its own merit until it finally peter's-out, wobbles, and falls over. Measure the distance traveled by each tire. You will discover, the heavier TIRE B rolled further due to its combined "suspended" (unsprung) momentum, centrifical force and perpetual motion that kept the tire rolling further. Simply put, it takes more braking effort to stop a heavier tire than a lightweight tire.

When auto manufacturer's design and engineer their vehicles, the OEM brakes are perfectly adequate to stop the OEM tires (and vehicle) within a recommended safe stopping distance set by the automotive industry. There is a window of allowable variance that aftermarket tires may be heavier than the OEM tires and still allow braking distance to be within safe margins.

The tire industry and US-DOT has determined this safe allowable variance of additional aftermarket tire weight to be 10 lbs over OEM tire weight on any given vehicle. This will still allow the vehicle to safely stop within the prescribed stopping distance for that type of vehicle.

Thus; for us VX'ers, since our OEM tires weighed only 34 lbs each, the maximum allowable variance for a heavier aftermarket tire is 44 lbs (10 lbs over OEM). I like to think of excess tire weight as "tire fat", in which case the tire industry & US-DOT allows us to have 40 lbs (10 lbs x 4 tires) of extra "tire fat" per vehicle and still be able to safely stop within a prescribed safe stopping distance.

Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires). During an emergency panic stop in conjested traffic, the small OEM factory VX brakes will say (if they could talk)-- "You want me to stop these big humungous meats??? Sorry; not today, ain't happening!!!" That's why I always harp on people to please, please, please allow an extra cushion of space between the car in front of you when running extremely heavy tires greater than the recommended 44 lbs maximum per tire weight on the VX!!! That's why I like www.TireRack.com as they list individual tire weight on their "spec" chart and is the very first place I check when people ask me about various tires. Riff

sloop
12/18/2009, 04:55 PM
Excellent "link". Unsprung weight (aka unsprung mass) has nothing to do with tire diameter, only pure mass of weight that is "suspended" in rotating motion.

For example-- take two identical size/brand tires like the Grabber AT2, but which have different individual weight.

TIRE A: Grabber AT2 in P275/65R18, C-Load Range (6-Ply) (32" O.D./44 lbs).
TIRE B: Grabber AT2 in LT275/65R18, E-Load Range (10-Ply) (32" O.D./54 lbs).

Now, using equal pushing force-- shove each tire down the street and let it freely roll on its own merit until it finally peter's-out, wobbles, and falls over. Measure the distance traveled by each tire. You will discover, the heavier TIRE B rolled further due to its combined "suspended" (unsprung) momentum, centrifical force and perpetual motion that kept the tire rolling further. Simply put, it takes more braking effort to stop a heavier tire than a lightweight tire.

When auto manufacturer's design and engineer their vehicles, the OEM brakes are perfectly adequate to stop the OEM tires (and vehicle) within a recommended safe stopping distance set by the automotive industry. There is a window of allowable variance that aftermarket tires may be heavier than the OEM tires and still allow braking distance to be within safe margins.

The tire industry and US-DOT has determined this safe allowable variance of additional aftermarket tire weight to be 10 lbs over OEM tire weight on any given vehicle. This will still allow the vehicle to safely stop within the prescribed stopping distance for that type of vehicle.

Thus; for us VX'ers, since our OEM tires weighed only 34 lbs each, the maximum allowable variance for a heavier aftermarket tire is 44 lbs (10 lbs over OEM). I like to think of excess tire weight as "tire fat", in which case the tire industry & US-DOT allows us to have 40 lbs (10 lbs x 4 tires) of extra "tire fat" per vehicle and still be able to safely stop within a prescribed safe stopping distance.

Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires). During an emergency panic stop in conjested traffic, the small OEM factory VX brakes will say (if they could talk)-- "You want me to stop these big humungous meats??? Sorry; not today, ain't happening!!!" That's why I always harp on people to please, please, please allow an extra cushion of space between the car in front of you when running extremely heavy tires greater than the recommended 44 lbs maximum per tire weight on the VX!!! That's why I like www.TireRack.com as they list individual tire weight on their "spec" chart and is the very first place I check when people ask me about various tires. Riff

Well put on my next tire test I will do a little experiment to test this, we have a skid path at the Texas proving grounds. I will try to use 4 sets with different weights and use the exact same wheels for all

pbkid
12/18/2009, 05:51 PM
Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires).
ok buddy... im gonna have to play devils advocate on this one...
2 things-

1. where did you get the information that most wrecked VX's have oversized tires on them, and how do you know that the tires were the cause of the accident?
2. there are MANY more influences on the road that are far more important than tire size. if everyone drove exactly the same and perfectly safe (ie: never looked away from the road, never drove drowsy, etc) then yes, theoretically tire size would effect car accidents. but in that case, personally i would take my integra over the VX any day. its stopping distance is significantly less than the VX.
so, what im trying to say is that stupid drivers who dont pay attention, or dont drive correctly is what causes accidents, not tires. (i guess its a similar argument to that of gun control eh? :_brickwal )

in fact, i consider myself a MUCH safer driver with my huge tires than 90% of the drivers on the road. because of 2 things- i DO pay attention to the road all the time, and consistently try to not be distracted. and second, but MUCH more importantly, i have NO quams with diving my VX into the median doing 90mph because i know that my huge tires are gonna be able to handle the ruts and dips. :p

pbkid
12/18/2009, 05:52 PM
sorry to pick on you riff. nothing personal, i just had a long day.

and i view it a little differently than you.

and, yes, i have driven my car through the median more than 5 times to make sure i dont get rear ended by the idiot behind me that isnt watching where he is going.
yup, and he has definately rear ended the guy i was following, which should of been my rear end instead of his...

Riff Raff
12/18/2009, 06:04 PM
Jack--- No harm, no foul. I hope you have a better day tomorrow my friend.:bgwb:

Triathlete
12/18/2009, 06:12 PM
I would have to say EXCESSIVE SPEED has probably been responsible for the biggest amount of VX accidents where the VXer was at fault.

Golfindoc
12/18/2009, 07:07 PM
Ashley, welcome from Gig Harbor!
Listen to the group for answers to any questions. RiffRaff is a local guy and Has given me some good advice already. I bought my 2000 a couple of months ago. Have fun with your VX!
golfindoc (Alan)

tomdietrying
12/18/2009, 07:48 PM
Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires). Riff

I like your facts. Could you please give me your source?

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
12/19/2009, 01:11 AM
You will discover, the heavier TIRE B rolled further due to its combined "suspended" (unsprung) momentum, centrifical force and perpetual motion that kept the tire rolling further.

Riff

I wanna know when they finally got around to perfecting "perpetual motion"...:_confused

I come from a long line of tinkerers/inventors who've been chasing that elusive goal for decades...:yesgray:

Perhaps you were referring to inertia?

I'd also like to see where you got this "fact"...please post a link if possible.

Also :fyi:, You'll find that if you refrain from posting as a self proclaimed "absolute authority on all topics", & learn to leave yourself a bit of wiggle room, by throwing in a "possibly", "theoretically", "sometimes" or even "it's possible", you'll find you get called out a lot less often...:smilewink

Jack, I've never seen a reason to apologize for calling "made up BS" for what it is...ESPECIALLY when it's been presented as fact.

sloop
12/19/2009, 02:32 AM
Riff
FYI I am not Calling you out on this, Being a Tire Design Eng I like to look at things in many ways that affect a vehicle.Really the biggest thing right now is Rolling Resistance it is a MAJOR issue with all Vehicle Manufacturers and (TSW) Tire Spec weight is one of the causes of High RR I have not looked at Unsprung weight as possibly being a issue for stopping, more for ride and handling so I was just trying to get a idea what this guy was telling PrettyKittySprinkles was fact or just a guy wanting to make a few bucks upgrading brakes(But according to Ldub thats not possible because there are no big brake kits for the VX so it is kinda moot)

Riff Raff
12/19/2009, 03:29 AM
L-bud--- Dude, you seriously need to clean out the bowl in your bong-pipe, 'cause you've been smokin' too much carbon!!! God bless your little heart.:laughing::rotate::laughing:

Ldub
12/19/2009, 03:30 AM
This is the type of "fact" I'm referring to:

Of note, most VX's are wrecked/totaled because they rear-ended the car in front of them because they simply couldn't stop in time using the unmodified OEM factory brakes in a safe distance due to very excessive "tire fat" (extremely heavy tires).

Where do you get those stats?...:_confused Got a link?

All the other info regarding unsprung weight & rolling inertia is true AFAIK.

Having some experience with MX racing bikes, I agree with riff, unsprung weight is bad with regard to how quickly suspension can react to sudden changes in terrain etc.
It's also harder on the equipment controlling suspension components, shocks in particular.
And yes, I agree that larger tires & wheels will generally create more inertia, hence longer stopping distance.

That having been said, IIRC the VX has one of the shortest, if not THE shortest stopping distance of any SUV ever tested in the years that were being reported in various magazines of the time.

IMO, once you've installed heavier wheels & tires, you quickly re-learn the diminished braking & acceleration capabilities of your vehicle, & drive accordingly.

And all that is just my opinion, worth exactly whatcha paid for it, maybe even less...:smilewink

VXR
12/19/2009, 03:33 AM
ummm we may have already scared PrettyKittySprinkles away:confused:
:confused:

Ldub
12/19/2009, 03:37 AM
L-bud--- Dude, you seriously need to clean out the bowl in your bong-pipe, 'cause you've been smokin' too much carbon!!! God bless your little heart.:laughing::rotate::laughing:

That all you got?...:rolleyesg...:laughing:

Yer not even gonna say "tsk-tsk"? or "for shame"?...:laughing:.:rolleyesg.:laughing:

BBVX
12/19/2009, 07:16 AM
Ashley,

You DO NOT NEED to upgrade your brakes for larger tires. Question answered.

Also, your CV boots will not just wear out due to angles caused by a lift (if you even need a lift to fit the tires).

I have been lifted, and running 33" BFG MTs for over 6 years now. I'm still on my original CV boots, and my original rotors. They are all still fine, actually, my rotors look brand new pushing 80,000 miles.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/medium/98dsc00770.jpg

Brian

tomdietrying
12/19/2009, 07:54 AM
BBVX,
Where have you been? Awsome looking VX.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I like your tube bumper. I looks like a design Granda Pa Bob used on his VX. Yours looks like you took it up several notches.:thumbup:

VX KAT
12/19/2009, 09:23 AM
BBVX,
Where have you been? Awsome looking VX.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I like your tube bumper. I looks like a design Granda Pa Bob used on his VX. Yours looks like you took it up several notches.:thumbup:
Seriously, way cool looking all the way around your VX!
Looks like you'll be needin' all that stuff today in that storm!

pbkid
12/19/2009, 09:39 AM

im thinkin so.....
sorry guys. my fault. :mbrasd:

tom4bren
12/19/2009, 04:54 PM
Also, your CV boots will not just wear out due to angles caused by a lift (if you even need a lift to fit the tires).
Brian

Brian,

Grats on not experiencing the CV woes on a lifted VX (there have been others but not many). I'm not an expert - just speaking from experience from a statistical sample of 1.

Tom

Jay Dunford
12/19/2009, 05:13 PM
3 years of Rallycrossing and 3 years of 4" lift w/ 33' MTR's (6 years of real wheeling and Moab) and my CV's AND brakes were still the factory originals. The brakes were adequate for the bigger tires but stopping distances went up a bunch. This wasn't due to the brakes not stopping the wheels (I could lock them up no problem), but rather just getting that extra mass whoa'd down like everyone else is saying. I think driving style has a lot to do with the longevity of both and a little luck on the boots thrown in for good measure.

4X4 UFO
12/19/2009, 10:24 PM
You're correct in that the increase in momentum of the rotating mass due to a heavier tire may well be the larger force acting on the brakes with larger tires, but it's not the only one. If the "unsprung weight" between two sets of running gear is equal, but the diameter of one set is larger than the other, the larger diameter set will cause the brakes to work harder, due to the longer moment arm. "Just sayin".......

Randy

psychos2
12/20/2009, 08:14 AM

I am wondering where you got your info from? I have seen many pics of vx's with stock tires totaled. And as far as that goes isn't it following too close that causes this to happen? I have larger and alot heavier tires than stock and have not rearended anyone . I think that the rubber lines on the vx brakes suck and that would be all I would change if there was a concern. And the stock pad thing,they are ceramic pads. If you go with a good ceramic pad then you do not need to by stock pads. shawn

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/21/2009, 12:28 PM
My R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors I bought a few years back were equipped with PB/Axxis Ultimate Pads from Australia (kangaroo insignia) as per Joe Black's advice (recommended amongst rally racing crowd), and they were awesome but the only drawback for me was the brake dust that would stain the chrome wheels. These pads are a mix of ceramic/metallic.

I wore the pads down to bare minimum recently and just went to the "hot setup" LDub mentioned utilizing stock pads. My opinion is the stopping power seems as good and the pedal feels a bit harder and hopefully the dust issue is no more.

I couldn't help but notice the "mitsubishi" emblems on my new pads from Isuzu...anybody else notice this?

I feel that the R1 Concepts rotors with Independent 4X4 S.S. lines and quality pads more than address any issues with me going from stock to 32" tires.

I am so much more concerned with being the "hittee" rather than the "hitter" that for Christmas I asked my parents for the Rhino tubular (with step built in) plug-in for the receiver hitch (that Joe uses & got rear-ended with). I plan on removing it for any off-roading (using clevis instead). It sounds like good protection against people who text & drive...ugh.

Ldub
12/21/2009, 11:00 PM
I couldn't help but notice the "mitsubishi" emblems on my new pads from Isuzu...anybody else notice this?

It's almost Mitsu...If you look at it again, you'll see that it's three triangles, Mitsu uses three diamonds as their logo.
I thought the same thing when I saw that, it's also cast into the caliper.

I am so much more concerned with being the "hittee" rather than the "hitter" that for Christmas I asked my parents for the Rhino tubular (with step built in) plug-in for the receiver hitch (that Joe uses & got rear-ended with). I plan on removing it for any off-roading (using clevis instead). It sounds like good protection against people who text & drive...ugh.

Couldn't agree more, I had a VERY close call last summer when I heard brakes lock up & rubber squealing from the car behind me. (woman person in a Mercedes, yakking on her phone...:rolleyesg)
Since I always leave a 15-20' "cusion" in front of me when in city traffic, I was able to move forward, out of harms way.
She didn't seem very interested in getting too close to my rear bumper after the light turned green...:_:_confused.

Ldub
12/22/2009, 01:28 AM

im thinkin so.....

I see that scenario as unlikely, since she hasn't logged on since the day of the original post.

VXR
12/22/2009, 02:11 AM
I see that scenario as unlikely, since she hasn't logged on since the day of the original post.

perhaps it was your avatar that scared her away:cool!::cool!::cool!:

VXR
12/22/2009, 02:20 AM
perhaps it was your avatar that scared her away:cool!::cool!::cool!:

or no wait it could have been Jolly Roger VX'er that scared her away:yesb:

Ldub
12/22/2009, 03:13 AM
or no wait it could have been Jolly Roger VX'er that scared her away:yesb:

Naaaaa....couldn't be, his avi is telling all who see it that they are number one...:yesgray:

muzwell
02/03/2010, 08:33 PM
Hey Kitty, I have some 35's for Sale if you r still looking. 3 inch Lift and they are awesome. BF goodrich KM Muds only 10k omn them.
Muz

djvx
02/03/2010, 09:34 PM
Your all fools, prettykitty is a phony, a made up character by someone on this site who is messing with all of us. Who sez 'Im a chic" when the name states the obvious. Who puts a big pink beating heart on their signature? --Moncha- cud ya check this out- I SMELL A RAT !:badhorse:

Riff Raff
02/03/2010, 09:53 PM
DJVX--- Fellow VX member "PrettyKittySprinkles" is for real, and her real name is Ashley. I've personally contacted her by E-Mail in the past, and offered her more tire advice and we have chit-chatted back-n-forth. As PB-KID eluded to-- she is a bit taken back by all of the negative overtones throughout this thread, and that is truly a shame. She is a local to my area, and I've invited her to attend our PNW Super Bowl Party for VX'ers this weekend. With luck, she will attend and I'll do my very best to heal any misconceptions of our VX family.:)

tom4bren
02/04/2010, 05:55 AM
she is a bit taken back by all of the negative overtones throughout this thread, and that is truly a shame.

How did that scare HER away ... it was directed mostly at you:)

VXR
02/04/2010, 06:48 AM

perhaps it was your pic:confused:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/SANY0020_.jpg[/LEFT]

id have left too...

tom4bren
02/04/2010, 08:12 AM
DOOOOOOOD!!! Ya been takin' lessons from Handito???

That photo is just SEXY. I got the rope hangin from the tree to help me climb in ... I got it parked on gravel so's I can scratch on take-off ... I even have a Jeep all lined up for crushing. It don't get much better'n that.

Ldub
02/04/2010, 11:59 AM

:laughing:.......:laughing:.......:laughing:...... .:laughing:.......:laughing:

djvx
02/04/2010, 07:52 PM
ok Riff, I guess you might be right but I'd pinch her just to make sure.